Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have to get back into this game. Capture the Flag is so much fun, especially when you're a capper, have the flag (and half the enemy team on your rear end) and in your head it's all "gently caress gently caress poo poo MUST GO FASTER gently caress". I've never had adreniline rushes quite like a Tribes one.

If I really like the soldier with the spinfuzor and thumper, what other classes/loadouts should I try? I'm a big fan of the leading and explosions type of fight, where you're both trying to know what the other guy will be doing three steps ahead.
Try Raider, I use Raider poo poo loads after soldier because it's so great at harassing the enemy and defences alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

sitchelin posted:

Motion sensors make attacking your gen a lost cause. Seriously, eventually people just give up. At 70% I'd pick that poo poo up ASAP.

It was actually 75% discounted so I picked em up, already annoyed a few infiltrators to hell with it. I can only see this get more fun once you have the Thumper as techie. Is the motiion detection for me only or does it alert all friendlies in proximity?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

It was actually 75% discounted so I picked em up, already annoyed a few infiltrators to hell with it. I can only see this get more fun once you have the Thumper as techie. Is the motiion detection for me only or does it alert all friendlies in proximity?

All friendlies. It is a Good Item.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

FrickenMoron posted:

Just for you, they are more important than a repair tool and not useless for other friendlies - I can hear them going off or getting destroyed.

(Play with the music off)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just got called a fractal noob. :allears: Harassing generators with Brutes is great fun, what does their ability do? it seems passive, is it energy regen?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah. As I mentioned before I feel like I'm goddamned cheating every single time I one-shot kill sniper a Sentinel from a mile away with the Brute's Spinfusor.

And considering my aim is lousy with scoped in weapons anyways... Okay, hitscan weapon that can kill a stationary target slower than any other weapon in the game I could make the shot on... Or, projectile disc that will either one-shot a light class, Medium classes that haven't ranked up their armor to max/first health tick as Raider, and get in more splash damage than a direct BTX shot if it's a near miss.

Yeah, not a tough call for me. I've run into the occasional GOOD base defending sentinel though, anyone ever hit low ends of health and BANG, oh there I go ragdolling. Shoulda gone fast.

To me, it seems that as an offensive class they are a bit wasted unless you are working alongside others attacking the base/flagstand. Or you have good aim and are up against a bunch of morons. Steady aim and a good awareness with a view of your base and popular angles leading to it on the other hand, will be ruining days as they reach your base either missing most of their health or outright dead.

TheShazbot posted:

This is the best game released recently. No question. Stop playing TF2 and play this.
I think you were shooting at me and got a Classic spree on my rear end last night.

Jehde posted:

On INF chat:

I recently unlocked infiltrator as I've been finally trying classes other than pathfinder lately. I want to upgrade my primary to an AoE weapon as it's definitely lacking from the class. The Jackal seems to be the goto weapon, but what if I'm more used to using spinfusors? Is the stealth spinfusor that bad? I've also recently unlocked the raider so I've been getting a bit of experience with the Arx Buster, and not really enjoying it.
Stealth Spinfusor is the weakest spinfusor in the game (and, despite it's name does not make you recloak faster and has a hilariously obvious red trail to the shots). Jackal is better for ruining the unsuspecting person's day. I do see some people getting okay results with the Stealth Spin, but that's more a case of "Aiming a disc is easy and it explodes on contact".

Basically, (again, I don't own it I'm just talking what I've observed in my short time), Jackal if you want to be sneaky explosion bastard, glueing three 480 damage explosives to someone's skull in half a second then instantly killing them if they are a light class, or even a medium (Goodbye, Techs and Raiders). Spinfusor if you want to play at dueling/more reliable hits on an aware and mobile enemy without a Rhino.

Kaal posted:

Supposedly the daily deals are responsive to your play-style, so if you're playing tech a bunch it should pop up quicker.
This could explain why I keep getting "stealthy" and now, my latest Daily deal is the mercenary skin... But then I was just playing mostly Doombringer and Brute last night (and the day before I unlocked Brute, brute was my daily sale AGAIN)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 2, 2012

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Just got called a fractal noob. :allears: Harassing generators with Brutes is great fun, what does their ability do? it seems passive, is it energy regen?

I assume you're talking about their pack? The default is an Energy Pack, which just gives you extra energy. There's also the Survival Pack, which gives extra HP, energy regen, and walking speed. It's like it was designed for fractal spam. There's also the Heavy Shield Pack, which isn't that great unless you have the Potential Energy perk.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Nice new OP, thanks for taking over for me :)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Kaal posted:

Compare that to Rage, which Sentinels are pairing with the Phase Rifle to become horrifying click machines.

Wait, what? Do tell... :getin:

To any new players that want to play with goons, feel free to add: TheJoeMan

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 2, 2012

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

Wait, what? Do tell... :getin:

Rage increases your energy regeneration by 50% when the flag gets grabbed near you, which when you're using a phase rifle is basically a 50% dps increase. So you just stand near the flag and whenever someone grabs it you poo poo lasers at them until they die.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So when I join a game how long should it just the loading screen, the one showing the next map and game mode. Been around 5 minutes since it stopped being frozen and nothings changed except maybe the music.

VVVVV
Well then what the hell. Tweaking the ini to use Direct X 10 or 11 also seems to have done nothing. Is the game always problematic?

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 2, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

xanthan posted:

So when I join a game how long should it just the loading screen, the one showing the next map and game mode. Been around 5 minutes since it stopped being frozen and nothings changed except maybe the music.

30 seconds or less

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kaal posted:

Supposedly the daily deals are responsive to your play-style, so if you're playing tech a bunch it should pop up quicker.

And even then, it may get you useless things, like Section Z and Stealthy or get you things for classes you have unlocked but don't ever play, for example, I keep getting daily deals for the Falcon despite that I only played Sentinel once and I don't even like that class.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Well might give up soon. Can anyone tell me why it seems to do nothing when I try and join a game then show the same screen forever? Its not even froze, mouse is moving, but nothings actually going on. Also trying the INI tweak for DirectX 10 or 11 seems to do nothing, yes I restarted the game.

Edit:Ski and Target practice are working btw, I just can't seem to connect to a game.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 2, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

xanthan posted:

Well might give up soon. Can anyone tell me why it seems to do nothing when I try and join a game then show the same screen forever? Its not even froze, mouse is moving, but nothings actually going on. Also trying the INI tweak for DirectX 10 or 11 seems to do nothing, yes I restarted the game.

Edit:Ski and Target practice are working btw, I just can't seem to connect to a game.

Only thing I can think of would be restrictive firewall settings, closed router ports, or an active 3rd-party blocking program. Even with PeerBlock enabled, I'm still able to hop in to a game 24/7.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

This is the most fun I've had playing an FPS in ages. Infiltrator with a Jackal and sticky nades is an absolute blast. I have become the ultimate nemesis of enemy flag carriers (as they hide away in their base waiting for their flag to return), flag defenders, generators, and generator repairmen.

I've started doing something where I'll slowly and carefully whittle down their defenses, then quickly murder all of their remaining people around the flag, llama grab it, then beeline straight back to my flag and capture it. Having a slow starting speed is offset by the fact that everybody around you is dead. This might not work perfectly against competent teams but my dozen or so flag captures in the last hour means it works well enough for me!

lumpanoodle
Jun 29, 2012

Just got into Tribes and I play Pathfinder pretty exclusively, in-game name is Bicnon

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Section Z posted:

Yeah. As I mentioned before I feel like I'm goddamned cheating every single time I one-shot kill sniper a Sentinel from a mile away with the Brute's Spinfusor.

Any medium+ spinfusor will one-hit kill a sentinel just so you know.

And yes it is satisfying as hell too just follow them around doing it. However you may notice the more skilled sentinels barely every stay still making it much much harder to do.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
My deal of the day was the Engineer's Thumper :allears:

Picked that motherfucker up and I've never been happier with a class.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rixen posted:

My deal of the day was the Engineer's Thumper :allears:

Picked that motherfucker up and I've never been happier with a class.
Speaking of the Technician, goddamned but the vertical distance for "Too close to another deployable of this type" pisses me off. Too close? To what? I don't see a goddamned tech turret anywhere around here!?... Oh, it's inside the building/on the other side of a wall/any other place you could possibly know it's there.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

fermun posted:

Usually light and medium offense gets put into the same category so it's LO for lights and mediums and HO for heavies. The same is true for LD, it is light or medium armor defense.

Also Hanks, didn't TDM change to 120 lives per team on the last update?

The patch notes said that they did, but I haven't played a single TDM game that didn't start at 100 lives since.

Kaal posted:

I really don't think this is true anymore (if it ever was).

Red Robin Hood posted:

Nice new OP, thanks for taking over for me :)

Thank you! :respek:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Playing Doombringer on arx nova Sunstar when your team has 4 Techs who spend the entire match inside the base, and STILL can't keep the generator up :negative:, and never fixed anything outside our base until they personally upgraded them to lv 4.

All the rampage tokens in the world with my Chaingun firing wildly when there is never any less than three enemies at the stand at once (somehow) couldn't save us. Everyone was more interested in killing my Shields repeatedly (Smart, since when gen IS up those make it drat hard to cap. I only had one guy run into a shield and die the whole match, when I put it up right as he was coming) On the bright side, I had a nice game as a tech before then on Temple ruins before then v:shobon:v

I'll learn more than two map names correctly eventually. It was the one with the shield canopy over the flag stand when Gen is up.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Well I load a map up for roam, I added the tribesascend.exe as an exception to my AV and firewall and nothing. Its always just stuck on a page like this, http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/555568-tribes-ascend-windows-screenshot-yep-a-loading-screen-s.png
I can move my mouse around but nothing else. No error or message about not being able to connect, no crash, nothing specific other then "stuck on a load screen" where google turns up results of people who also have no idea wtf is going on.

What do?

Edit:Also just loading up a map on roam and skiing around is WAY more fun then it has any right to be.

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord

Section Z posted:

Playing Doombringer on Arx Nova when your team has 4 Techs who spend the entire match inside the base, and STILL can't keep the generator up :negative:, and never fixed anything outside our base until they personally upgraded them to lv 4.

All the rampage tokens in the world with my Chaingun firing wildly when there is never any less than three enemies at the stand at once (somehow) couldn't save us. Everyone was more interested in killing my Shields repeatedly (Smart, since when gen IS up those make it drat hard to cap. I only had one guy run into a shield and die the whole match, when I put it up right as he was coming) On the bright side, I had a nice game as a tech before then on Temple ruins before then v:shobon:v

Where do you normally put the shields on that map? Inside the side tunnels?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
So I've started playing again. I used to play soldier when I started, then played tech for ages which I was really good at and usually top scoring, now I'm playing Path and DMB.

I tried out Lightweight and its pretty cool. Got some pretty speedy caps too when pubs weren't llama grabbing seconds before I flew in. It's weird playing a role now that gives zero shits about the gen room.

Getting better with the autos like chain cannon but I really need a huge accuracy improvement, especially at distance. I think I'm slightly more accurate with the soldier AR.

And about 3 of my last games last night were freezing at the end of the round results and not moving me into the next game automatically making me quit out and rejoin a queue.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

xanthan posted:

Well I load a map up for roam, I added the tribesascend.exe as an exception to my AV and firewall and nothing. Its always just stuck on a page like this, http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/555568-tribes-ascend-windows-screenshot-yep-a-loading-screen-s.png
I can move my mouse around but nothing else. No error or message about not being able to connect, no crash, nothing specific other then "stuck on a load screen" where google turns up results of people who also have no idea wtf is going on.

What do?

Edit:Also just loading up a map on roam and skiing around is WAY more fun then it has any right to be.

I don't know if this will help, but this is what my shortcut target looks like:
"C:\Games\Program Files (x86)\Hi-Rez Studios\HiRezLauncherUI.exe" game=200 product=10

Make sure HizRezLauncherUI.exe is also unblocked. You should run it from there, since that's where it'll also patch from. Also, try running HiRezGamesDiagAndSupport.exe and check for updates/test.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

xanthan posted:

What do?

If this thread doesn't help, I would create a support topic here.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Free Chicken posted:

Where do you normally put the shields on that map? Inside the side tunnels?
I've since edited, I am still a failure at properly recalling map names. It was Sunstar I think, the one out in the snow where while the Generator is up, there is a shield Canopy over the flag stand. I put a Doombringer shield on either end of the tube. Still don't got mines.

Enemy team was smart and balls out aggressive enough that the flag stand was always clear whenever their cappers came by (except that one time I put a shield down a second before they went by, crunch). Our team had, at match start three, at one point FOUR techs and they all holed up in the Base constantly. I think I saw a single Tech turret by our flag all of once. Four base camping techs still unable to keep generator up more than 30 seconds at a time.

They rarely if ever repaired anything outside the generator room... But they started coming out to do so once they brought the turrets up from level 0 or 1 to 4. But by then the enemy had 4 caps to our zero. As much as I want to blame the bad Techs, I can't fully because drat that enemy team was relentless. Never a single lone enemy ever, they always came in packs. Or came in to support enemies already harassing our base. It was probably the most brutal match I've been in yet.

As for the Actual Arx Nova map, I try to put one behind the flag if I'm allowed to deploy one there still, and another in one of the side tunnels favoring the outer edge of the base (I pick one at random, unless there is a frequently repeated side direction). This way I can keep replacing the one behind the flag unless some dumbass keeps putting his tunnel shields four feet from the flag :argh:

Similarly, I put a shield on the back door behind the flag on Crossfire (anybody trying to ramp up from behind or zip through our ship for a cap, splat they can't see coming visually) And one at a diagonal cornerish at flagstand with is constantly blown up every 30 seconds. I'm still hazy on what a "good" spot at the flagstand on Crossfire is since mine are always down whenever a capper goes by it from the sides.

EDIT: I have four rampages total over my playtime. THREE of those were from that Sunstar match trying to defend the flagstand from the constant swarm of enemies. Also, time with the Chaingun has improved my aim with the Tech's SMG and Infiltrator's Rhino. My guess there? Having some time with a gun where your bullet stream isn't interrupted every two seconds lets you get a better feel for the natural flow of bullets in this game.

At the very least, in near base, low speed, or high speed straight line in front of you combats. High speed long distance zigzagging targets are still beyond me except getting some lucky bullets to tag them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 3, 2012

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

I don't know if this will help, but this is what my shortcut target looks like:
"C:\Games\Program Files (x86)\Hi-Rez Studios\HiRezLauncherUI.exe" game=200 product=10

Make sure HizRezLauncherUI.exe is also unblocked. You should run it from there, since that's where it'll also patch from. Also, try running HiRezGamesDiagAndSupport.exe and check for updates/test.

You know what, long shot but maybe the nonsteam version will work? Least then I can try the stuff you said. If not, I have 5 terrabytes of space left and skiing is fun enough to justify keeping it till it starts working for online or they add bots.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've started playing again and I've realized shadows aren't enabled. Can somebody point me to a good competitive config because I'm both incompetent and lazy, and the "graphics" in this game both look and run like poo poo anyway.

Also, is setting read only and denying write permissions to the .ini still required?

e; I'm not looking for the N64 config. I can run the game just fine. I'm looking to disable all the cloudy, overzealous post processing and enable useful things that help me reach the peak of my GAME.

treat fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 3, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

treat posted:

I've started playing again and I've realized shadows aren't enabled. Can somebody point me to a good competitive config because I'm both incompetent and lazy, and the "graphics" in this game both look and run like poo poo anyway.

Also, is setting read only and denying write permissions to the .ini still required?

e; I'm not looking for the N64 config. I can run the game just fine. I'm looking to disable all the cloudy, overzealous post processing and enable useful things that help me reach the peak of my GAME.

What you want is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoLRo1M6-ypfdGtwVExZd2lHN3JuellwMTZndkJOZVE#gid=0, which is in the OP, and no need to fiddle with permissions. Should revert back to normal if you delete it and start again.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?

Section Z posted:

Speaking of the Technician, goddamned but the vertical distance for "Too close to another deployable of this type" pisses me off. Too close? To what? I don't see a goddamned tech turret anywhere around here!?... Oh, it's inside the building/on the other side of a wall/any other place you could possibly know it's there.

Urgh, this. I hate having to do the turret dance inside my own base because the flag and generator are so close together.

By the way, what exactly does upgrading assets do aside from give you a source of periodic income?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

MrLonghair posted:

What you want is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoLRo1M6-ypfdGtwVExZd2lHN3JuellwMTZndkJOZVE#gid=0, which is in the OP, and no need to fiddle with permissions. Should revert back to normal if you delete it and start again.

I've been going over this, but I still can't seem to get shadows back. I'm really just looking for an .ini to copy because, you see, I'm a piece of poo poo.

What I really need to know is which .ini I'm supposed to be loving about in. I've got Ascend installed to D: with it's own tribes.ini, but tribes.ini's evil twin is residing on C: as well, supposedly because UE3 has no idea what the gently caress god damnit who designed this trash.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Rixen posted:

Urgh, this. I hate having to do the turret dance inside my own base because the flag and generator are so close together.

By the way, what exactly does upgrading assets do aside from give you a source of periodic income?

Radar: Increased HP and range
Turrets: Increased HP and damage
Generator: Increased HP

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rixen posted:

Generators: More Hitpoints.
Sensors: More hitpoints and I THINK more scan range.
Turrets: More hitpoints, faster tracking and better damage. Also, cash bonus whenever it kills something.

It's best to upgrade Generator and Sensor first. Though if one of the turrets is particularly close to the flag stand (like on crossfire) if your Generator and Sensor are already well off those can use some love. While upgrading turrets farthest away from your base is practically throwing away your money.

If you have more money than you know what to do with and you're not spending it on strikes or inventory stations, throwing an upgrade to things you have not touched yet for another potential Investor bonus can be nice. Especially if it's a map where edge turrets are not a mile away and almost permanently down.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 3, 2012

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I really don't think this is true anymore (if it ever was).
When HR said the deals were custom tailored to the individual I do t think it meant any further that not showing you things you already have.

To the guy that can't load maps. Try going into the settings on the launcher and look for repair or verify cache. I have heard of that fixing similar problems.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Section Z posted:

Enemy team was smart and balls out aggressive enough that the flag stand was always clear whenever their cappers came by (except that one time I put a shield down a second before they went by, crunch). Our team had, at match start three, at one point FOUR techs and they all holed up in the Base constantly. I think I saw a single Tech turret by our flag all of once. Four base camping techs still unable to keep generator up more than 30 seconds at a time.

This is why the more experienced players in this thread will tell you that the generator literally does not matter. Forcefields are the only gen-powered item that will reliably stop a capper, and if there are even 1-2 good offense those will be getting constantly cleared. Even if the gen never goes down it is just a waste of time to mess with it, because all the people defending it would be much more effective directly defending the flag. Imagine if those 4 techs were instead playing pathfinder with rage and lightweight. Even if the capper manages to slip past 4 nitrons flying at his face on the stand he would still have people chasing.

I find it interesting to read all the posts by the influx of new players and watching them progress through the game the same way I did. I used to be a big gen whore myself, and was topping scoreboards by the mid-teens rank. Then I started to want to win, and then I started to see how little the capture the gen game I had been playing the entire time thus far effected the game in any way. Now I rarely get above 5th in the scores but usually have 2+ caps and the fastest grab.

It sounds like you are already moving away from the whole tech base crawling gameplay already, so just take this as encouragement to keep moving towards effective and helpful team play.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

And the bug with BE having more than 16 players happened again. It wouldn't noteworthy if it weren't because apparently being in DS on top of the scoreboard while there is BE spillover results in generalized lag and "chopped up" movements as long the scoreboard is showing, as if dealing to deal with it. And it was spillover of two that match, and someone else (may have been the second in DS, I don't remember) also reported having that same lag when showing the scoreboard.

Is Hi-Rez aware of this yet?

Rixen posted:

And thereĦs a point when there are enough Technicians to not leave any place for setting any light turrets anywhere near either the generator or flag stand, typically it happens in Crossfire.
When that happens, you know it's time to change class.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HyperPuma posted:

This is why the more experienced players in this thread will tell you that the generator literally does not matter. Forcefields are the only gen-powered item that will reliably stop a capper, and if there are even 1-2 good offense those will be getting constantly cleared. Even if the gen never goes down it is just a waste of time to mess with it, because all the people defending it would be much more effective directly defending the flag. Imagine if those 4 techs were instead playing pathfinder with rage and lightweight. Even if the capper manages to slip past 4 nitrons flying at his face on the stand he would still have people chasing.

I find it interesting to read all the posts by the influx of new players and watching them progress through the game the same way I did. I used to be a big gen whore myself, and was topping scoreboards by the mid-teens rank. Then I started to want to win, and then I started to see how little the capture the gen game I had been playing the entire time thus far effected the game in any way. Now I rarely get above 5th in the scores but usually have 2+ caps and the fastest grab.

It sounds like you are already moving away from the whole tech base crawling gameplay already, so just take this as encouragement to keep moving towards effective and helpful team play.

The Generator sure feels like it matters when your Pack item needs the Generator to work :saddowns:

Plus with so much carnage, airdropped inventory stations never lasted long even when I bought them. So no Gen, no refills except for ammo and grenades via scattered ammo packs.

I'd rather the generator be up than down still (Gee, that big shield canopy over our flag stand would be great about now). But when when I'm playing my Newb Doombringer I know that no drop shields and a chaingun is still better to have around the flag or taking out enemies around the base, than slowly fixing something with a repair gun just because nobody else will.

Though if the flag is decently covered or we have the enemy flag while they have ours, I'll take a break to do what nobody else will goddamned do and patch things up. Unless the enemy is one cap away from winning, I'll even switch over to Tech temporarily to do a repair patrol if we have no techs, or we have techs that only care about the Generator and our Sensors have been down the whole match.

qnqnx posted:

And thereĦs a point when there are enough Technicians to not leave any place for setting any light turrets anywhere near either the generator or flag stand, typically it happens in Crossfire.
When that happens, you know it's time to change class.
This can still happen on "where I love to put something down" spots even when there are only two of that class. yourself, and one other guy.

Similarly, when I'm the only Tech for example GOD I wish I could self destruct my drop items. "Okay, this spot isn't working out as well as I thought it would/I accidentally placed one here like an idiot." I want to put one slightly off to the side but NOOOOO. I have to place down more a mile away at some random position to make the first ones clear, or I have to wait until the enemy destroys it (if you WANT a deployable destroyed, it will then last the whole match), or change class, suicide, then change class BACK and start all over.

EDIT: I need to get an "Ignore our generator" Mindset for my Infiltrator play... But it's just so FUN playing Counter-Infiltrator.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Section Z posted:

or change class, suicide, then change class BACK and start all over.
You can change class (and loadouts) without dying in the inventory stations. If they're working, that's it.

• Locked thread