Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Man I thought I was good at this game, always first on the list, winning all the time and generally kicking rear end.

And then I hit rank 8. Holy poo poo I am bad at this game. I hope I learn fast because getting XP is hard as gently caress now, can't unlock poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

GrumpyDoctor posted:

That video is of a Really Good doombringer playing on a kiddie pool server. It's not exactly typical (the chaingun is still ace though).
That was not a kiddie pool server.
I am not quite that good, but it's really not hard to just decimate people with DMB, unless you start getting focus fired by multiple people.
The DMB is by no means a weak class like the person I responding to implied. It also is slightly better now since the chain gun was on of the only automatics not touched by the last patch.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I used to be good at this game and then all the cocksucking motherfuckers out there put their non-bullet weapons away. Not even an improved Stonehenge can make any kind of gameplay besides tech-genroombabysitting fun if it doesn't get reasonable in the July 10 patch.

And I've now seen three players make alarming 180 degree snaps to target and shoot people, indoors and outdoors. Is that a keybind I'm missing out on or an alias?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's hard to say what's a suspicious "snap" without first person. They likely just heard you and have good aim/muscle memory.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
It looks like a kiddie pool server, or like the teams were super stacked. A doombringer should never be able to stay alive that long in the enemy base and the enemy team played very poorly to let that happen. Noone committed to bringing him down and the ones that gave it a shot used bad weapons or used their weapons poorly. Look how many of them are plain not shooting at him. All it would have taken to stop that is one good player on a class that can beat dmb one on one, like raider and inf.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The enemy team in that video is a joke, he could have been playing with a steering wheel and they still wouldn't have killed him.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Wadjamaloo posted:

That was not a kiddie pool server.
I am not quite that good, but it's really not hard to just decimate people with DMB, unless you start getting focus fired by multiple people.
The DMB is by no means a weak class like the person I responding to implied. It also is slightly better now since the chain gun was on of the only automatics not touched by the last patch.

Wait, really? :psyduck: The other team was acting pretty loving stupid

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Doombringers are really good, mstarr (DMB in that video) is really good, the other team is pretty noticeably bad. Two smart players should be able to take down a great Doombringer, let alone the concentrated effort of 3 or 4 players. The Chaingun / Cannon is still a really stupidly powerful gun and, post-auto nerf, one of the few weapons I find truly unfair.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Wadjamaloo posted:

It's hard to say what's a suspicious "snap" without first person. They likely just heard you and have good aim/muscle memory.

Perfect aim and muscle memory and for one death in mid-air, but who knows - it's a HiRez game after all. (ie.. model not updating correctly? We see that with corpses a bunch, I ended up a walking set of legs in one glitched explosives death)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 4, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Wait, really? :psyduck: The other team was acting pretty loving stupid

Yeah if you freeze frame when mstarr (the DMB) looks at the score, you see that actually the teams are pretty fair and have a good skill spread. Blood Eagle (the opposing team) has four gold/platinum ranked players, four silvers and two bronzes. Diamond Sword has three gold players, five silvers (including mstarr) and one bronze. Diamond Sword is down a player (9 to 10) but both teams have comparable scores (discounting mstarr). Several players from Slamurai were playing, but they had split up onto both teams. So yeah a totally normal game, and a relatively advanced one compared to the post-Steam environment. Sure several of the better BE players were wisely ignoring mstarr and focusing on the flag, but it's definitely not the kiddie-pool. You're just looking at someone with good aim and the Survivalist perk.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 4, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I just remembered a strange thing on Katabatic. I was trying out Sentinel again, despite my terrible aim with all things sniper based. You know the little tower bit behind the flagstand, the flat surface area in it with the repair gun? Well, every time I tried to put a claymore down at the back edge of it (not on the slope, on flat surface), the Claymore would just drop straight through the floor and explode :psyduck:

No wonder the enemy infiltrator loved to come in from there. I guess they saw me trying and failing to get my Claymore mines from slipping into another dimension in my attempts to cover the back.

EDIT: I just hopped into Roam map... WTF, you can put a mine on the slope at the very edge... But if you try to put it anywhere NEAR the slope on the flat surface the mine just sinks through the ground and explodes. This goes for ALL drop belt items. Drop Pack items work fine there though. If it's a bit off to the side, you can drop mines. But the chunk between the center square of the inside of that tower, and the sloped edge is a strange drop mine eating void. Even though you can put down a Doom Shield fine.

Also, would an experience boost stack on top of the upcoming free boost? Or would it, like many games, not apply. City Of Heroes for example has done some emergency patches right before double experience weekends to prevent double experience weekend from functioning on certain newer forms of experience.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 4, 2012

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Some dude wrecked me midfield with the X1 LMG so I got frustrated and used some gold to unlock it. I'm slowly getting better with autos like the chaingun, but I briefly tried the X1 and I don't know what the gently caress but my auto accuracy just doubled somehow.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Matchbox posted:

Some dude wrecked me midfield with the X1 LMG so I got frustrated and used some gold to unlock it. I'm slowly getting better with autos like the chaingun, but I briefly tried the X1 and I don't know what the gently caress but my auto accuracy just doubled somehow.
My personal assumption is that it is the fact your aim is not broken every two seconds from having to reload. So you can more easily KEEP a line up you've gained on someone once you got it. Then instead of going "God Damnit I can't hit poo poo with this thing", you get more used to how the bullet weapons work in general, and then this translates over to using your other bullet weapons.

I know my aim with the Infiltrator Rhino and Tech SMG has gotten a lot better inside bases and during low speed combats than it used to be, ever since I spent some time with the Doombringer's chaingun. I still can't hit much with the Soldier's AR though (but then, SPINFUSOR). That may be more due to circumstances now as I'm usually attempting midfield faster everyone zig-zagging around battles with soldier.

EDIT: I've gotten a few 180 turn Blue Plates. It is always, always, ALWAYS luck firing a disc on principle at someone I know is back there (pull 180, see enemy, shoot) and not expecting to hit at all. At least in my case.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 4, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

MrLonghair posted:

Perfect aim and muscle memory and for one death in mid-air, but who knows - it's a HiRez game after all. (ie.. model not updating correctly? We see that with corpses a bunch, I ended up a walking set of legs in one glitched explosives death)

Some of it is just luck, but you do eventually get a really solid feel for the disk physics and start being able to crack off some pretty crazy snap shots. Map memory starts to kick in too. For example on Tartarus you're guaranteed to see PTH and INF sailing over the ridges at the beginning of the map, and on parallel opposite trajectories to yours. It's a pretty nice trick to see one coming on your radar and spin around in mid-air to kill them in one shot. When it works it looks like a hell of a shot, but really it's just simple physics matched with a quick reflex. Since they're skiing down the hill at essentially the same speed every time, you just have to adjust for their tack - which is made simple when it's so similar to yours and you're firing downhill.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 4, 2012

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So Brute on Katabatic CAH is fun as always

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

MrLonghair posted:

I used to be good at this game and then all the cocksucking motherfuckers out there put their non-bullet weapons away. Not even an improved Stonehenge can make any kind of gameplay besides tech-genroombabysitting fun if it doesn't get reasonable in the July 10 patch.

Nope. Hi-Rez has that last bit of fun covered, too. The Stonehenge gen room is completely and easily wiped, wrecked, dominated and every square inch filled with disco poo poo by a single Brute with extended fractals and survivalist.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Section Z: Boost applies to the double exp, at least it did last time. It's also multiplicative so if anyone is on the fence about getting gold now is the time. Between boost, VIP and double exp you will get 600% base exp.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wadjamaloo posted:

Section Z: Boost applies to the double exp, at least it did last time. It's also multiplicative so if anyone is on the fence about getting gold now is the time. Between boost, VIP and double exp you will get 600% base exp.
Sweet. Hopefully boosts are less than 880ish Gold. :black101:

If anything, spending my gold on something else will probably encourage my daily sales to be things I want, but can no longer afford.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Last time they did a double XP weekend it was double base XP. Everything else was the same formula, but since everything else uses base XP in the formula, bonus, VIP, and boost were doubled as well. The 10 day boost is 640 gold, so you'll be able to afford that one or cheaper ones. Mean XP earned/hour while on 16 v 16 games if you have VIP and Boost during this double XP period is 13200/hour. This is before first win of the day or badges, which go to bonus XP and therefore didn't get doubled last time.

edit: quoting myself to add in the XP needed for boost.

fermun posted:

code:
Booster                        Gold Cost     XP To Break Even       …Per Day
1 Day XP Booster            240                 42000                        42000
3 Day XP Booster            400                 70000                        23333
10 Day XP Booster          640               112000                        11200
30 Day XP Booster        1200               210000                          7000
90 Day XP Booster        2400               420000                          4667

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
Speaking of Brutes, I feel like those are going to be wrecked as soon as HiRez realizes what they are. Nothing worse than a team of competent brutes chilling inside your base, tossing down fractals errrrr'where and receiving a constant supply of them from all of the people they kill.

And then they get Heavy Spinfusors and junk, too. Sadness.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I remember the days when it was pretty much a universally accepted truth that the Brute was dogshit and the worst class.

Extended fractals need to eat a nerf, maybe the Devastator SF's AOE reduced, but looking at the big picture, the Doombringer and Juggernaut are a lot harder to deal with.

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 4, 2012

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Rixen posted:

Speaking of Brutes, I feel like those are going to be wrecked as soon as HiRez realizes what they are. Nothing worse than a team of competent brutes chilling inside your base, tossing down fractals errrrr'where and receiving a constant supply of them from all of the people they kill.

And then they get Heavy Spinfusors and junk, too. Sadness.

The fix to this is to give up playing tech for path and wonder why you ever gave a poo poo about the base/gen in the first place

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I played a bunch during the early beta or whatever and i hoped that it would get fixed with a patch, but I still get horrible lag. I've got a 6870 and a tri-core phenom but anything but low settings dips down to 30-40 fps, which completely destroys any and all playability for some reason. On low it's fine, but the benchmarks seem to indicate that i should be getting 60 fps at 1080p but i get like... 20 on very high?

Drivers are updated, etc.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Fractals do need some sort of changes made. Last night I played on a server with a higher ping. I sat on the outer rim of a fractal grenade and took no damage, figured it was friendly, and flew through it. Once I flew past the explosion I took an assload of damage at once and was knocked back into the center where I continued to take damage. Fractals are pretty easy to dodge, but the random knockback on them makes them hard to escape once you get hit, especially in laggier conditions.

I would suggest that they remove the knockback and change the random exploding pellets into a consistent AOE damage zone. If you're within range / line of sight of the fractal, you take damage every X. The idea would be to make them much more consistent and predictable sources of damage. Visually they could stay the same, though if they added some way to tell if a fractal was friendly or not that would be wonderful.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Fina posted:

Fractals do need some sort of changes made. Last night I played on a server with a higher ping. I sat on the outer rim of a fractal grenade and took no damage, figured it was friendly, and flew through it. Once I flew past the explosion I took an assload of damage at once and was knocked back into the center where I continued to take damage. Fractals are pretty easy to dodge, but the random knockback on them makes them hard to escape once you get hit, especially in laggier conditions.

I would suggest that they remove the knockback and change the random exploding pellets into a consistent AOE damage zone. If you're within range / line of sight of the fractal, you take damage every X. The idea would be to make them much more consistent and predictable sources of damage. Visually they could stay the same, though if they added some way to tell if a fractal was friendly or not that would be wonderful.

I would just be happy if they decreased the time it stays active. Maybe it just seems longer because of the otherwise fast pace of the game, but it seems like it stays active for a really long time.

I do agree with you though. Fractals are very inconsistent and random, which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the other annoyances heaped onto them.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Fractals are best off just getting completely removed from the game. They should be replaced with tossed mortars, similar to the thrown disks. Team tinted projectiles and splash for things wouldn't be at all hard to implement, but in most cases they don't really need to be.

A voice clip that plays when a team mate calls in an orbital would be nice to have as well. I see too many cappers veering off course to avoid the orbital that was meant to clear the stand of enemies before he hits it.

treat fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 4, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
At least Juggy is hard to deal with in the "oh look at this mortar cannon and wall of hitpoints" Sense. I do like their biggest single blast of damage grenade gig though :allears:

I need to get back on Juggy. I've been using so many other classes and unlocking other classes that I'll never learn proper flagstand shelling at this rate.

I'll agree the fact Fractals cause knockback is just added insult to injury.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

I have some days off work soon, maybe this would be a great opportunity to help teach you how to get good at Tribes:Ascend really fast with a goon workshop. I'm sure Schottingham wouldn't mind helping out here. Anyone interested?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Fractals mostly shoot horizontally it seems, no? I usually just try and gain some height on them and I'm okay. If I'm caught off guard indoors it's usually lights out.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Captain Matchbox posted:

The fix to this is to give up playing tech for path and wonder why you ever gave a poo poo about the base/gen in the first place

I found this to be depressingly true.

I love being a Tech but my turrets can't do anything to the heavier classes and won't function anyway if there's a brute camping our generator.

I gave Brute a try today and found that even playing it like I was retarded, I still ended up in the top three on my team just because I'd fly into the enemy base, drop a fractal and if I died I would almost always take my killer out with me.

And not just that but if I tossed a fractal down on our own flag base it would become completely off-limits to cappers until it exploded.

Fractals are better turrets than turrets are.

Speaking of Brutes though, why does the Energy Pack exist when the Survival pack does, too?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
7 hours of playtime, and 75% of it has been a technician, running laps between emplacements and hunkering down in the generator room.

I... I feel so dirty, like I'm not playing "right" :negative:

Game name's the same as the Steam tag: Getter404

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Rixen posted:

I found this to be depressingly true.

I love being a Tech but my turrets can't do anything to the heavier classes and won't function anyway if there's a brute camping our generator.

I gave Brute a try today and found that even playing it like I was retarded, I still ended up in the top three on my team just because I'd fly into the enemy base, drop a fractal and if I died I would almost always take my killer out with me.

And not just that but if I tossed a fractal down on our own flag base it would become completely off-limits to cappers until it exploded.

Fractals are better turrets than turrets are.

Speaking of Brutes though, why does the Energy Pack exist when the Survival pack does, too?

More Total Energy, less other stuff.
Most people seem unable to deal with Fractals and Bruite, they just run right into them both. Brutes are really easy kills just have to pick your engagements.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

MadHat posted:

More Total Energy, less other stuff.
Most people seem unable to deal with Fractals and Bruite, they just run right into them both. Brutes are really easy kills just have to pick your engagements.

It's not so easy when you're indoors. The Devastator Spinfusor is going to make it so you take some hefty damage even if they miss, and if they toss down a fractal and you're in a dead-end (which, admittedly, would be a bad play on your part) then you're chunked. Fractals do a retarded amount of damage.

That isn't to say they ruin the game or anything, but I have to groan every time I get obliterated in my own base by an entrenched Brute team.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I got this game yesterday and I've played up to level five, but I'm still kinda confused. When do I start getting hats?

Seriously, though, I'm getting close to unlocking my first new class. Should I go Raider or Doombringer? Or something else? So many options...

Also, fractal grenades can eat a dick.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I bought the steam starter pack when I downloaded it so I already had tech and infiltrator unlocked from the start. I don't know how fun raiders really are without those specialist weapons. Infiltrator is pretty fun I have to admit even though I really wish I had the jackal.

A Humble Emperor
Dec 30, 2007

With a big big crown!
If they removed the knockback on Fractals and made the extended version do way less damage they would be fine.

I think I should quit playing during prime time. Between team stackers, bullets everywhere and people who apparently don't even understand they can ski I get far too mad at the internet.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

LaserShark posted:

I got this game yesterday and I've played up to level five, but I'm still kinda confused. When do I start getting hats?

Seriously, though, I'm getting close to unlocking my first new class. Should I go Raider or Doombringer? Or something else? So many options...

Raider is viable even with the "Vanilla" loadout. Doombringer is an exp sink if you want the most out of it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

LaserShark posted:

Sentinel: Flexible, crucial defender, very long range, deployables to lock down areas.

Infiltrator: Stealth bastard, really satisfying weapons, high-power stickies.

Raider: Awesome pack abilities, incredibly irritating weapons, great against vehicles and base assets.

Technician: Great indoor defender and base maintainer, ideal vehicle pilot, turrets and traps.

Doombringer: Absurdly powerful minigun, great at intimate defense, very very sturdy

Brute: Single best indoor fighter, best spinfusor, FRACKTULLSSSS

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rixen posted:

Basically because the energy pack was the default pack that has always been in game, and the Survival pack was put in with the Brute bundle pack much later. The Survival pack is pretty much a straight up upgrade. Same goes for Soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rynex posted:

I have some days off work soon, maybe this would be a great opportunity to help teach you how to get good at Tribes:Ascend really fast with a goon workshop. I'm sure Schottingham wouldn't mind helping out here. Anyone interested?

Hey, I can put this in the OP if you'd like.

• Locked thread