Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trw
Dec 24, 2003

LaserShark posted:

I got this game yesterday and I've played up to level five, but I'm still kinda confused. When do I start getting hats?

Seriously, though, I'm getting close to unlocking my first new class. Should I go Raider or Doombringer? Or something else? So many options...

Also, fractal grenades can eat a dick.

I'm also new to the game and decided to try out the Doombringer after watching a class guide. Sadly you only have a good gun. If you want to play the class as intended you really need the Super Heavy perk to max and mines. So ignore the class until you have much more xp, it's just frustrating playing when you don't have a lot of stuff. Right now I'm just using Super Heavy in roles where I have no use for it at all just to level it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I haven't played a Tribes game since the original one ( it was my first online FPS, too ), and decided to try out Ascend today. After one match I decided to buy the Steam Starter Pack, as the gameplay is just amazingly fast and fun, despite my lack of skills. This will probably be my 'go-to online FPS' from now on, and I will get good at it ( eventually, I hope ). I have only played as Soldier so far.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

Basically because the energy pack was the default pack that has always been in game, and the Survival pack was put in with the Brute bundle pack much later. The Survival pack is pretty much a straight up upgrade. Same goes for Soldier.
Little known fact, the utility packs for both Brute and Solider actually increase your air control and horizontal jets by a small amount. This is because both are just modifiers of your runspeed and the Utility pack increases your runspeed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The steam starter pack runs out in 8 hours, I really recommend it for other new players, it's very nice to get some perks, classes etc unlocked from the get go!

Edit: I have the stealth spinfusor as my daily deal now, is it worth the gold or should I just wait for the Jackal?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 4, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

The steam starter pack runs out in 8 hours, I really recommend it for other new players, it's very nice to get some perks, classes etc unlocked from the get go!

Edit: I have the stealth spinfusor as my daily deal now, is it worth the gold or should I just wait for the Jackal?
Ooh, another Daily sale. What is it this ti-RAIDER SKIN!? God Damnit. Couldn't you have been the grenade launcher or jammer pack?

I really have to stop making posts about these things, but goddamn. At least put up a decent weapon like the Phase Rifle or something, so I can not get it because I suck with a class and not because it's a pointless waste of a sale.

As for you, while Stealth Spinfusor is the weakest spinfusor in the game (at 700 direct, 500 near splash), it's still a goddamned Spinfusor. You won't Technical Oneshot an unsuspecting light or medium class with the Stealth Spin like you can by gluing three jackal rounds to the back of somebody's skull though.

Basically, it's nice (Spinfusor after all), more direct combat capable than the Jackal... But unless you are going to want to use it often, or Infiltrator is your guaranteed Main Class, I'd save your gold. That thing is ALMOST as expensive as a Jackal.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 4, 2012

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

FrickenMoron posted:

The stealth spinfusor is quite fun and a good choice if you want to take quick draw and rely on your silenced pistol, which is a monster of a weapon. Most people think the jackal is good but I don't care for it since you have to spend time detonating the projectiles when you could be murdering people with the pistol, and the damage output isn't really anything special, especially compared to the pistol. The jackal does shine indoors if that's your thing.

^^^ It technically won't one shot lights but I have yet to die to a target that I've direct hitted with the spinfusor. At that point they're just completely done for if you have quick draw.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
How are the mines for the Infiltrator? I find myself pretty satisfied with cloaking up to people and stickying their backs, but setting traps could be kinda fun. Are they easy to notice, or can I plunk them down wherever?

Additionally, how often do the bundles get changed up? There's an assassin bundle that has both throwing knives and the Jackal, both of which I'd like, but I'm short by like 200 gold (even after the Facebook thing). Can I expect to see something like that at a more reasonable price?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I doubt the bundles get discounted, personally I'd rather wait for the items themselves to go on deal. And the Stealth Spinfusor sounds pretty fun, I might just grab it to test it out a bit more since I just grabbed my free 250 facebook gold.

Also is the Thumper DX worth it on a soldier if you're somewhat okay with the normal thumper? More damage is always a plus I guess but just how much smaller is the splash?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
The mines are extremely bad compared to the incredible power of smoke grenades and pretty bad compared to the relative versatility of stickies. They don't do enough damage to make up for the awkwardness of using a mine.

trw
Dec 24, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

I doubt the bundles get discounted, personally I'd rather wait for the items themselves to go on deal. And the Stealth Spinfusor sounds pretty fun, I might just grab it to test it out a bit more since I just grabbed my free 250 facebook gold.

Also is the Thumper DX worth it on a soldier if you're somewhat okay with the normal thumper? More damage is always a plus I guess but just how much smaller is the splash?

I barely notice the smaller splash and I'm bad at the game. From a new players perspective it just feels like a straight up better weapon without downsides.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kraven Moorhed posted:

How are the mines for the Infiltrator? I find myself pretty satisfied with cloaking up to people and stickying their backs, but setting traps could be kinda fun. Are they easy to notice, or can I plunk them down wherever?
I too once asked if the Mines were any good, since I liked their description. I was going to explain in great detail why the Prism mines are bad. But I shall limit it to three things, followed up with a Picture worth a thousand words of shame.

1) They are easily visible to the enemy (Though at least to the enemy, the waist height floating crystal is black instead of bright green).
2) Only 800 Damage. Compare, 1,200 Damage on direct Sticky Grenades.
3) Horizontal Side-To-Side Laser triggers, refer to picture.

:smithicide:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 4, 2012

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
So I just got kicked during a game and couldn't reconnect to the server again, but after exiting and restarting its saying now my account doesn't have access to the game?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Captain Matchbox posted:

So I just got kicked during a game and couldn't reconnect to the server again, but after exiting and restarting its saying now my account doesn't have access to the game?

Login Servers may be up but not accepting logins, I think that was the default message for that situation.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Double XP just started.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

treat posted:

Nope. Hi-Rez has that last bit of fun covered, too. The Stonehenge gen room is completely and easily wiped, wrecked, dominated and every square inch filled with disco poo poo by a single Brute with extended fractals and survivalist.

Good, because that's the playstyle I use to make the game fun right now.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

fermun posted:

Double XP just started.

Guess I'm finally getting Infiltrator plus Jackal by the end of the week.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

qnqnx posted:

Guess I'm finally getting Infiltrator plus Jackal by the end of the week.

Honestly I was going to go for some perks but I think I'm going to go for infil/jackal because christ I want everyone to rage just as hard as I do.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
Getting my first win of the day with double exp and a VIP boost was pretty goddamn sexy.

I feel like the most efficient way to use boosts is to grind those personal accolades (the ones that award massive chunks of exp) and stop until you're just about to earn them, buy a double exp boost and then complete as many as you can.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
I started playing Tribes Ascend and overall I've been digging it. I played a little bit of Tribes 2 when I was younger (though never invested too much time in it due to a crummy PC at the time). I seem to have the most success with the Soldier with the spinfusor. I'm doing very well in the kiddy pool, but I'm approaching Rank 7 fast and I'm worried I'm going to suck horribly when I join the regularly matches. :ohdear:

Though, with this double exp event, would buying the boosts stack with my VIP status and the event or would everything cap at 2.0x for this event?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Boosts will stack, so you will get a lot more exp during this event. Also goddamn, just had a really fantastic capture and hold game. Rampage, Quad kills, airmailed someone with the dueling spinfusor etc. But I'm almost at rank 7 now and very, very afraid. Currently leveling up Pathfinder so that I can get ready for trying to get somewhat decent at CTF. Reach is a must I guess and I already have it at level2, what other perk would a flag running Pathfinder use?

trw
Dec 24, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

Boosts will stack, so you will get a lot more exp during this event. Also goddamn, just had a really fantastic capture and hold game. Rampage, Quad kills, airmailed someone with the dueling spinfusor etc. But I'm almost at rank 7 now and very, very afraid. Currently leveling up Pathfinder so that I can get ready for trying to get somewhat decent at CTF. Reach is a must I guess and I already have it at level2, what other perk would a flag running Pathfinder use?

Egocentric to make discjumps I guess.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

and server crash. Looks like their website is making GBS threads the bed too.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Too many people wanting to enjoy that sweet double exp? Oh well.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If you are close to any badges (like flag caps, kills, turrets upgraded, etc), you should grind them out this weekend. Badges drop several thousand xp at a time, getting 2 or 3 during double-xp can push you into absurd amounts of xp territory.

Also, try to bank some xp this weekend. Keep about 103k xp unspent so you can unlock anything new they release that you really want!

They were already doing 18s and 19s yesterday. With the steam folks coming in, I would expect some downtime. Hopefully this will mean another extension of any active boosts and maybe an extra day of double xp...

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So what's the "ideal" subweapon for a Brute anyway? Because I've got the Nova Colt up as my deal of the day and I really don't want to drop another :10bux: so soon.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If I die to a Brute secondary it's the Nova Colt. Helluva lot easier to use than the shotgun, insane range too. Get it, your survivability will go up together with your killcount.

Muey
Sep 21, 2006

SPARKLE POWER
The nova colt is the one-eyed man to the blind men that are the rest of his 2ndary options.

Class is really hamstrung by the lack of good weapon combinations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Muey posted:

The nova colt is the one-eyed man to the blind men that are the rest of his 2ndary options.

Class is really hamstrung by the lack of good weapon combinations.

I was pretty disappointed in the Brute's pistol. It does less damage than infiltrator pistol I believe. But, it's hitcan, and the inf pistol isn't?

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Kazvall posted:

I was pretty disappointed in the Brute's pistol. It does less damage than infiltrator pistol I believe. But, it's hitcan, and the inf pistol isn't?
It is. I once used it to kill a flag runner on Arx Novena when he was passing under the midfield aqueduct and I was on the flagstand. About the only time I've effectively used a hitscan weapon

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've said it before, but anyone on the fence over which class to unlock first could do a lot worse than Raider. He's got an absurd amount of different and viable play styles, a few interesting weapons, and both his packs can be used to get you into and out of situations no other class can easily handle or survive.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Is the Heavy Plasma for Brute any good?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Lacks the range and strength of the disc but if you're going up close a bunch it's preferable. Especially for wiping out indoors and you're all outta fractals and time. Has a sense of "wtf projectile size" to it as giver and taker compared to the disc. By design, sure, but still - your best shot against bullet using asses.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
I'm just annoyed that my Starter Pack I bought from Steam isn't being applied. Wrote in to Hi-Rez about it, no response yet.

Quetzal-Coital fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 4, 2012

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Additionally, how often do the bundles get changed up? There's an assassin bundle that has both throwing knives and the Jackal, both of which I'd like, but I'm short by like 200 gold (even after the Facebook thing). Can I expect to see something like that at a more reasonable price?

With every major update, they change up the bundle deals, which is about twice a month.

When they put up a new bundle deal, they usually give you a choice between Weapons + Skin Pack or Just the Weapons, so you don't have to pay for a skin to get a good deal on all three weapons.

404GoonNotFound posted:

So what's the "ideal" subweapon for a Brute anyway? Because I've got the Nova Colt up as my deal of the day and I really don't want to drop another :10bux: so soon.

Kazvall posted:

Each one of the Brute's unlockable sidearms are better than the default Auto Shotgun. The Hammer's higher damage easily makes up for the smaller clip (demonstrated here), the Nova Colt is a great finisher on a distant target, and the Plasma Cannon will get consistent midairs, at 575 damage a shot and 12 shots in a clip.

Obnoxious Brit
Feb 16, 2008

Absolutely unbearable
I kind of wish I could turn XP gain off just so I could preserve this forever:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kazvall posted:

I think it's the most fun brute secondary. I can see gladiator/plasma being a strong kit for clearing flags. That said, the colt is probably more practical, but who uses brute in serious play?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Obnoxious Brit posted:

I kind of wish I could turn XP gain off just so I could preserve this forever:

420/1337.

You've made it. Step off the internet. You've now reached The Gibson.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Quetzal-Coital posted:

I'm just annoyed that my Starter Pack I bought from Steam isn't being applied. Wrote in to Hi-Rez about it, no response yet.

Same problem here. Maybe we bought it a little too late?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Mister Snips posted:

I played a bunch during the early beta or whatever and i hoped that it would get fixed with a patch, but I still get horrible lag. I've got a 6870 and a tri-core phenom but anything but low settings dips down to 30-40 fps, which completely destroys any and all playability for some reason. On low it's fine, but the benchmarks seem to indicate that i should be getting 60 fps at 1080p but i get like... 20 on very high?

Drivers are updated, etc.

I looked around for you and I couldn't find anything. Create a support case on the Hi-Rez Diagnostics utility that comes with a game, Hi-Rez will probably get back to you in a day or two.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Tenacious J posted:

Same problem here. Maybe we bought it a little too late?

You're definitely not the only one to have this problem, best thing to do is send in a support ticket with the Diagnostics utility if you haven't already. They will apply the Starter Pack for you in a few day's time, most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I looked around for you and I couldn't find anything. Create a support case on the Hi-Rez Diagnostics utility that comes with a game, Hi-Rez will probably get back to you in a day or two.

You're definitely not the only one to have this problem, best thing to do is send in a support ticket with the Diagnostics utility if you haven't already. They will apply the Starter Pack for you in a few day's time, most likely.

Would really suck to lose all that sweet sweet extra XP though.

• Locked thread