Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Replying to a post from the other thread.

Section Z posted:

Since scoped view sniping has never been a strong point of mine (But I'm not terrible with Gunslinger in SMNC. I guess just something about scopes and me don't agree with eachother), Sentinel probably won't even get full mastery with me.

Speaking of sentinel, is the drop jammer supposed to crap out on you, or not even cause the visible jamming effect for along while after you drop a fresh one in the first place? Or is the visual effect just being wonky on me?

EDIT: Whoops, new thread time.

The Drop Jammer is linked to your generator, so if it's down, your Drop Jammer is useless. Otherwise, it's a critical asset, as it masks all UI indicators for any friendlies within its range, which makes it harder for the enemy to tell what's happening in that area. That includes friendly players, mines, etc. Once it's fully upgraded you can have two deployed at once. I hide them anywhere they can ruin an Infiltrator's day. There's also a graphics bug where you won't see the "static" overlay, even if you're in the Jammer's area of effect and receiving its benefit, this includes friendly Raider's Jammer packs.

If you're having trouble aiming as a Sentinel, add this to your TribesInput.ini, just make sure to fill in the senstivity numbers with whatever is comfortable for you (Seriously add this to the OP; we don't all have a $50 mouse that allows us to adjust our DPI on the fly.):

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Rule of thumb seems to be hardcore EXTREME gaming mouse 6-8, cheapo mouse 10-15.

You can also edit your tribesinput.ini like this

Bindings=(Name="LeftShift",Command="PressedZoom | setsensitivity 8.0 | OnRelease DemagnifyZoom | OnRelease ReleasedZoom | OnRelease setsensitivity 12.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

This makes it 8 sensitivity when I zoom and 12 when unzoomed.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

nelson posted:

I just hit this. I was having fun. Now I am sad.

I'm playing technician and this one dude keep taking out the base sentries from half-way across the map. When I chase him down, someone else always gets into our base and destroys our generators. WTF am I supposed to do?

Press your ALT key over them to alert your teammates, usually someone will chase after him and keep him busy. There's only so much you can do by yourself. Sadly, because the base assets aren't shielded like in Tribes 1/2, any jackass can bring down assets/deployables from a long distance. The Mortar is designed to break poo poo, but the discs are what you'll be dealing with more often than not. On the plus side, you'll get more credits for repairing stuff than they will for breaking them, which means you can upgrade them sooner. You also get credits for repairing deployables and vehicles, whereas they don't get anything for breaking deployable turrets/force fields. If your turrets are level 4 and someone is still disc sniping them pat yourself on the back, because those turrets are almost always useless. He screws his own offense because instead of attacking a genuine threat, he's removing himself from the battle for a cheap 200 creds.

Your deployable turrets are slightly more important because they rip players to shreds. Just hide them where they can be both effective and inconvenient to the enemy. They're expendable; you can always just set another down.

Also, upgrade both your Generator/Sensor by at least 1 asap. You'll receive the Investor accolade every two minutes by each provided they can go that long without being disabled, which means 400 free creds every two minutes.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 2, 2012

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I do that with Claymores. I especially like to stick them under the aqueducts on Arx Novena, the back to front cappers fall for it every time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I've got the Technician motion sensor as my daily deal, is it worth buying for 70% off? I enjoy playing Tech quite a lot but I don't really know if its worth trading in my grenades for that.

Motion sensors make attacking your gen a lost cause. Seriously, eventually people just give up. At 70% I'd pick that poo poo up ASAP.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Just got called a fractal noob. :allears: Harassing generators with Brutes is great fun, what does their ability do? it seems passive, is it energy regen?

I assume you're talking about their pack? The default is an Energy Pack, which just gives you extra energy. There's also the Survival Pack, which gives extra HP, energy regen, and walking speed. It's like it was designed for fractal spam. There's also the Heavy Shield Pack, which isn't that great unless you have the Potential Energy perk.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

I am generally having fun with this game but I have to say, Doombringer is a complete piece of poo poo. I get a chaingun that takes seven seconds to spin up and makes my entire screen shake, if someone damages me at all while I'm firing I'm guaranteed never to hit anything. I have missiles that either fail to lock on, get shot down, or slam into scenery. And what the gently caress am I going to do with these lovely HE grenades when people are flying around spewing out deadly disco lasers? The only worthwhile thing about this class is the high HP and forcefields, which encourages you to play in the most boring way possible, by planting yourself on the flag like a turret. I've also noticed that when I have to fight one as a different class, they tend to get owned.

Should I just stick to the cool classes? Sometimes I forget that "Doombringer" is just Tribes-speak for "man-shaped turret" and I end up frustrated.

Of all the classes, the Doombringer is the one that requires the most (exp) investment if you want an enjoyable experience. Doombringer is generally a defensive class, like you said, a man-shaped turret. Doombringers are all about keeping the flag/base on lockdown. His Saber Launcher is more useful as an early detection system than anything, I swapped mine for the Titan (42k exp), which allows you to dumb-fire the missiles. His Chain-Cannon (18k exp) sidegrade also has less screen-shake and less range falloff, in exchange for a barely noticeable slower fire-rate.

If you want to pony up the exp, the Heavy Bolt Launcher (42k exp) opens up more offensive possibilities. You can also wreak havoc with the Landmines (75k exp), to be honest they should be your first purchase. Sometimes I'll get Saftey Third/Quick-Draw with Heavy Bolt/Titan and trash the enemy base. It's basically like playing a fatter Soldier. This is especially great on Temple Ruins. Hide a call-in invo somewhere and just do drive-bys, laying mines and forcefields all around their flag stand.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 3, 2012

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

LaserShark posted:

I got this game yesterday and I've played up to level five, but I'm still kinda confused. When do I start getting hats?

Seriously, though, I'm getting close to unlocking my first new class. Should I go Raider or Doombringer? Or something else? So many options...

Also, fractal grenades can eat a dick.

Raider is viable even with the "Vanilla" loadout. Doombringer is an exp sink if you want the most out of it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

Some of these high rankers are so adorable. There was this one rank 39 Raider (second highest on server, other was a rank 40 on our team). He was doing low low in ins team scores in Capture and Hold mode. I was Pathing it up to rank Thrust pack.

Kine: Oh, the Doombringer is rank 9. Big surprise.
Me: Rank doesn't equal skill man.
Kine: Spoken like a true copper.
Me: I just know when I hit 40, my aim will still be just as bad.

later on,
Me: Kine, How come you're the highest ranked person but you're one of the lowest in score?

No response, but he quit the match a minute later. :allears:

As for Bounty Hunter, I figure Bounty hunter is more important than Safty third if you are a kamikaze Brute. That's +300 a kill and another +100 for Belt kills :pseudo:

You need to be on my friend list. What's your name?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I'm having trouble being useful as any class but INF. At least with him I can run into the generator room and blow it up and then accidentally die to my own grenades. With soldier I can't kill anyone, with jug I can't hit anything useful, with pathfinder I can't get enough speed to do anything, and with tech I can't do anything at all. I unlocked raider to try to Do Work but I still wind up skiing into the enemy base at a cool 150 and dying instantly. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing or how to do it, and the videos don't really help much. Does the raider need the unlocks or can he do well with the stock gear?
edit: in the other hand I found an excellent guide to the doombringer and I expect that I will soon begin to "dominate" the "battlefield" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQYXxdwmFcY

My advice for all of those classes is just practice, practice, practice. Here are a few brief summaries of how I usually play the classes you mentioned. Maybe try these out.

I play Soldier as Medium Defense. I just try to mop up incoming Raiders and Heavies. Find a Jugg raining mortars on your base and just ruin his day. If he doesn't have the LMG, enjoy your free kill. The default weapon loadout is awesome for this. I usually open up with the Thumper D(X) and then finish them off with the Assault Rifle.

For Jug, just practice. Prioritize the flag stand above all else. Use the "ladder" to help you place your shots. Did the shot fall short? Aim a little higher. Eventually you won't even need the ladder and you can just eyeball it. If there's a more experienced Jug on your team, just follow him and if he's connecting, mimic him. Eventually you'll get it. If the flag stand's clear, start shelling their sensor/clueless Sentinels/clueless techs repairing the sensor you blew up.

If you need speed as a Pathfinder, just ski down a steep hill (until you get the Thrust pack) and nitron jump (toss a nitron immediately behind you) once you find a good spot to "ramp" off of. Enjoy going fast. Roam the maps in training to get a feel for maneuvering at those speeds.

As a Tech, your turrets will do most of the killing for you. If there's nobody to shoot, just repair/upgrade poo poo. You're going to be replacing your turrets often. That's because they rip everything to pieces and everyone hates them. If they're being destroyed frequently, that means you're doing a good job. Just place them somewhere they can wreak havoc, and still remain partially out of the line of fire.

For Raider I recommend grabbing the Jammer pack. It projects a field that disables the IFF indicators for you and nearby teammates, and it prevents turrets from firing at you. It doesn't cloak you, but you'd be surprised how many people you can just walk right past in their own base because they don't see the red triangle, and therefore won't shoot. It also reveals cloaked Infiltrators. Basically, your team will love you for using this and it helps both your offense and defense exponentially. Your job as a Raider is to harass the poo poo of of their defense. Just fire your Arx at anything with a red name. Again, prioritize anything covering the flag stand, turrets, mines, etc.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 5, 2012

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Grab Egocentric if you're going to use it indoors. You'll find out why soon enough.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Drydock and Crossfire are pretty compact, so I go with Ego there. There's plenty of wiggle room on Katabatic, Sunstar, Temple, and Arx Novena, so I grab Survivalist on those. Tartarus is a coin-toss. I don't even bother on Raindance, I dedicate myself to vehicle whoring/sniping.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Soldier Supremacy! My 2nd Slayer! My team forgot how to chase but I gave everyone else who had the nerve to set foot on my base utter hell. Not pictured: Hurt Locker (15 explosive killing spree).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

While I'm here, what are some good shelling grounds in Tartarus and Kabatic? They both have hills near the base, but in both cases the hills have enemy spawns on them which is a problem.

For Tartarus I always plant myself on top of the roots of the tree that sits above their hill-spawn. For Katabatic, the hills where the two towers sit are good.

Katabatic:

Tartarus:

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 6, 2012

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

trw posted:

I've just started to play something better for my team than engineer and is rolling with defensive soldier. Any tips on when to engage/stay on flag? I'm using Super Heavy to take over if the doombringer is off the stand or if there is none at all but I still don't have a good sense of when to leave and chase the enemy offence or when to stay put.

Let your HoF, Snipers, and Chasers (hopefully one in a Shrike) worry about the flag. When I play defensive soldier I run interference for anyone foolish enough to grace my half of the map with their presence. Nobody attacks my base and survives. See a Jugg mortaring your flag stand, hunt him down. Brute coming in for a fractal kamikaze? Stop him dead in his tracks with some thumper lovin'. Raider harassing your HoF? Thump him in his stupid face and finish him with the AR. And so on and so forth.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Saber Launcher is only good for two things: acting as an early warning system for incoming enemies, and spooking away Shrike Chasers. The Titan is so much more useful.

The Chain Cannon has less screen-shaking, extra falloff range, and more damage per round, but it has a slower fire-rate.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Lately I've had to play the capper role as a brute, which I do successfully again silver gold chrome opposition far too often. I wish the reason was that I keep ending up on teams full of newbies, and not enemy teams fielding five doombringers and three techs for flag defense.

I did some fat-capping myself last night on Crossfire. The opposing team had the rare and endangered "unstoppable sentinel," I managed to cap against him as pathfinder twice, and only because he missed a few shots when I was in the red, and the second time because someone caught him in an Orbital before I made my grab. Otherwise he'd chase me down and snipe the poo poo out of me. My team didn't want to help keep him off my tail, so I just switched to brute and tanked his rounds.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Most people don't actually want to 100% everything, at least as far as I know. I solely play Technician now, previously played a mix of TCN and SLD. Generally people have a playstyle they like (sniping) and no reason to spend XP on stuff they don't like (anything other than sniping)

True enough. One of my friends has about 800k experience piled up that he'll never spend. He exclusively plays TDM as a Disc/Thumper Soldier, and accepts no substitutes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I don't care about gen camping so much, I'm just annoyed that any jackass can spam his spinfusor at my flag-minefield from 2 miles away while my team does nothing about it. I really wish they'd drop the range on spinfusors.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Kaal posted:

....and really those routes aren't required in pub games where the defense is generally limited to one pubstar HOF, Sniper or Chaser plus some hangers-on.

Also, in pub games, those 20 seconds of setup time almost always end in some jackass llama grabbing as you make your approach.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

Doombringer heavy bolt launcher for 70% off, 72 gold.

Yay or nay? I'm leaning towards it on principle of "oh look a cool sale for once"

It's awesome on Sunstar as long as your gen is up. Though I pretty much use it in TDM/CnH or when I'm harassing their defense.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Scyantific posted:

If your gen isn't down, go to the Inventory Stations. They'll restock the deployable ammo. Otherwise, yeah, I think suicide is the only other way to get them back.

Or you could just call in an inventory. Those work even if your gen is down, but they won't heal you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Rei_ posted:

What is the role of the Infiltrators pistol, and should I just save up for the Arctic versions of both that and the SMG? They seem like straight upgrades.

The pistol is an awesome ranged finisher. It does 170 a shot. The Arctic does 180.

As for your primary, save up for the Jackal. Trust me, hold out for the Jackal, it's an amazingly great weapon.

Also, one pistol shot + melee = dead turret with minimal sound.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

I forgot to buy it when it was that price for me :negative:

EDIT: Also, yes Jackal for infiltrator. It's never a daily sale, and it's as bullshit easy to anything not aware of you as it looks. Say hello to instantly killing even Medium classes when you glue three rounds to their skull in one second and pull the trigger.

My first match with my brand new Jackal on CTF Drydock... It was a magical thing :allears:

I love creeping up on Sentinels and plastering them with the Jackal. They almost always start flying upwards, like that will somehow dislodge the sticky rounds. Then I simply decloak, make sure they can see me, hit VGB (Bye!), and BOOM! It's never not hilarious. This is awesome to do with techs too, if you catch them repairing something.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

psivamp posted:

I like that I don't have to engage and kill every single last enemy that I pass by. That makes this game different for me. Do I like this because I'm trash at duels, yes; but it's really a neat distinction between this game and almost every other multiplayer shooter.

You are obligated to tip your hat and fire a courtesy disc as you ski past those uncouth Blood Eagle scoundrels while en route to their base.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

trw posted:

Small question. As a pathfinder defending and spotting an incoming capper should you use the spinfusor or a nitron on the flag as the capper hits it?

Whatever keeps the flag out of his hands. They're both effective.

Personally I just hit it with the Bolt Launcher. That way you get the best of two worlds, he drops your flag, and is also dead!

If you can time your nitron toss though, you can knock him away from the flag, or force a drop as soon as he grabs it. Maybe you'll knock him into something painful.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Wadjamaloo posted:

The best chasing fix I have heard of (that stays within HRs narrow design goal) is a new armor unlock. The UI seems set up to handle armor unlocks, but we don't have any yet.

This unlock would remove passive regen and replace it with an activate able health kit on a cool down. It likely wouldn't heal full hp, the heal amount and cool down timer can be tweaked as needed.

I love the idea of extra Armor upgrades. Like an alternate set would be cool.

Here's Pathfinder MKI: -25% health regeneration delay >>> +10 energy >>> +25% health regeneration rate >>> +100 health >>> -10% mass.

Now, here's an idea for Pathfinder MKII: +50 health >>> -10% mass >>> +10 energy >>> +100 health >>> -10% mass.

Less mass, but with gimped regeneration to deter using it for capping. Unlock at 8k exp.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

When there's a llama-fest I take it upon myself to ask the other team to use an orbital strike on their own base. Smart players would never do this, because people llama grabbing their flag makes it hard for my team's cappers to do their job. Of course, there's always one scoreboard hero on their team who thinks "This guy is right, NEED KILLS MUST FIRE SPACE LASERS!" He rakes in a quatra kill, yay for him, but now that the tard party has been disintegrated, we can get a competent capper to run off with the flag.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There is only one true way to play CnH: Quickdraw Doombringer, HBolt/Titan, lay mines on the control points.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I must know what a Twinfusor is. I remember in Tribes 1, there was a mod called Annihilation that featured a Dual Disclauncher, which was just two Spinfusors taped together. They fired alternating rounds with a high fire rate but had reduced damage to compensate. Perhaps it's like that?

Or maybe you can fire two rounds back to back, and have to reload both before firing, like a double-barreled disc-shotgun.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Apparently a hotfix went out this morning that fixed matchmaking.

And I haven't had to put up with a single immature rear end in a top hat yet. Nor did I have to deal with any llama grabs, it's glorius!

I also got the Brute's Nova Colt as my deal of the day. I love the poo poo out of this gun. My outdoor game has been vastly improved. Up next: Potential Energy, I've ignored it for too long.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

It's probably still rather strong, just can't oneshot middies anymore.

As long as I can still hold Sentinels hostage I'm okay with the nerf. I use my pistol 50% of the time anyway.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Titan Launcher is the new Plasma Rifle, Mid-air shots are too loving easy with that gun. I can't believe they're buffing it too.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

qnqnx posted:

Add mines and it's also a viable loadout for general base defense in CTF. Mostly because by that I mean to TDM everything near your flag.

This can help you clean house in CnH. Toss a mine near a friendly control point and let father time do the killing for you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Sunstar force-field has led to many suicides for me. I'll harass their HoF, toss a 'nade towards him, and then their gens come back up and my 'nade bounces off and explodes in my face.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Were they ever really popular? A lot of people were psyched to see custom servers go up until they realized that they gimp your exp gain. I'm not surprised to see that they're deserted.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

Oh, no wonder every item feels like it's taking forever to upgrade :saddowns:

My X1 still isn't maxed out, and I just unlocked the NJ5B. 26k to polish it off, yaaaay. I really don't want to drop the 15k to insta-master it because I am an enormous cheapskate, and I must have twinfusors.

I caved and dished out my remaining gold for the Raider Bundle. How the hell do people clean house with the Plasma/NJ5B? I've been spoiled rotten by Spinfusors and I can't aim the Plasma gun for poo poo. I do okay with the other automatics too, but when I go against other NJ5B's its usually a loving death sentence for me unless I'm Juggernaut. I can't aim the NJ5B at all.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 21, 2012

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I can mow down fatties easily. It's other Mediums and Lights that are giving me poo poo. I've stuck to playing it as Soldier 2.0, with limited success. I've been on guard duty mostly, shredding Brutes who get too close to the flagstand, that sort of thing. But when I go on the offensive I get my rear end handed to me. I'm probably just going to go back to my grenade launcher, I have way more success with that gun.

I should probably buy a new mouse. I hate not having adjustable DPI, I'm using some $10 Logitech mouse made from bottom of the barrel parts.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

So I've played like 5 games so far, but I have had issues in three of them with dudes just grabbing a flag and running a million miles an hour all over the place with no one able to kill them. As they just run around the outskirts of the map endlessly. Is this just a phenomenon of bad players not being able to kill a good one? I'm not familiar with this type of bullshit annoying runaway being so strong in a CTF game, or there being so much wilderness to chase some rear end in a top hat across.

Grab a Shrike and run him down.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Meldonox posted:

Oh boy! 70% off of Wheel Deal! I trust it's every bit as poo poo as one might imagine?

Depends on how often you like to play Tank Commando or run people over with Shrikes. Fully upgraded it cuts the prices for those vehicles by 30%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I dusted off my Stealth Spinfusor, nobody expects people to use that gun anymore. I miss being able to just fire one off and not worry about creating a "landing strip" or going flak gun on someone. No flag stand goes uncleared. Disc the stand, toss a sticky, vanish the gently caress out. I'll harass a distracted sentinel/tech from a longer distance without worrying about sneaking up on him, thumper techs no longer scare me. Most people don't have the common sense to switch to Raider w/ Jammer.

I'm debating which secondary to get. Arctic SN7 or Throwing Knives. What do you fellas recommend?

• Locked thread