Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
That video is of a Really Good doombringer playing on a kiddie pool server. It's not exactly typical (the chaingun is still ace though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Wadjamaloo posted:

That was not a kiddie pool server.
I am not quite that good, but it's really not hard to just decimate people with DMB, unless you start getting focus fired by multiple people.
The DMB is by no means a weak class like the person I responding to implied. It also is slightly better now since the chain gun was on of the only automatics not touched by the last patch.

Wait, really? :psyduck: The other team was acting pretty loving stupid

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Well, it sounds like you're running your score up by camping your own gen. It can be a great way to get points but it makes you into "that guy" because you probably weren't contributing much to your team actually winning the game. (This isn't necessarily true - on Sunstar defending the generator is somewhat important sometimes, and if the opposing team was wasting more players attacking your gen then your team was using to defend it, it's possible that you came out ahead. It's not likely though.)

I mean, do whatever brings you the most entertainment, absolutely. But be aware that some people might roll their eyes at you for playing "capture the generator" instead of "capture the flag." (And for the love of God, don't be that rear end in a top hat whining that nobody will help him in the gen room.)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

some enemy pathfinder posted:

pixelL> not liking the whole...fat guy thing you're doing
More validation than any scoreboard ranking. Made my day. :allears: That guy was actually really chill.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
A huge part of the problem with fractals would be eliminated if friendly fire were a thing, because then the "haha, can't defend your flag" aspect would be gone. I'm sure someone better than I am understands why there's no friendly fire though.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

toasterwarrior posted:

If I'm looking to play a Doombringer for flagstand defense and bodyblocking, is LV3 Super Heavy a necessity? I've had cappers nab the flag right as I was on it, even without knocking me off the stand with a disc or whatever.

Nobody's mentioned the most important part of Super Heavy 3: the hilarious "splat" sound the game makes whenever someone runs into you. Definitely get it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kaal posted:

That's certainly been my experience. I'll be dueling some low ranked silver with the Raider pack who can barely fire his NJ5 but constantly MAs me if I get too close. The thing is designed to be overpowered and easy to use. Against other players of a similar competency level it is understandably unbalancing.

Okay, but is that a fundamental problem with their monetization model, or does Hirez just suck at balancing? If you're willing to consider them two different problems then I'd argue that it's the latter (but you may not be willing to).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mega Comrade posted:

Do you honestly believe this? Seriously? Even now with the Brute update?

Yeah, fractals being stupid isn't exactly new :v:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Oh I completely agree (hence the :v:)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

LaserShark posted:

Man, I liked this game up until I hit level 9. Now I'm nothing but an easy kill for every fucker on the other team. I got Raider as a daily sale, so I picked that up as well as Doombringer, running about 80/20 between them. But if I try to defend the flag as DMB, I keep getting murdered from shots I have no idea where they're coming from, and if I try to take out the enemy gen as Raider I get murdered in one shot by someone's Heavy AP Grenade. I guess I need more unlocks (haven't gotten mines or the Jammer pack), but goddamn it'd be nice to actually feel like I was accomplishing something once in a while.

Unlocks aren't going to just make you better. The jammer pack will add to survivability, sure, but mines definitely won't. If you're having trouble with seeing people as a DMB try turning your FOV up (I keep it at max and don't even notice any distortion, although aiming is a little funky.)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kaal posted:

It's very convenient that the same folks who've bought the top-tier equipment are defending the status quo and saying things like "gold can't buy skill".

Hold up, do you actually know this? I'm definitely in the "gold can't buy skill" camp but I'm not sure if my single purchase of the Thumper (which I never use) to get VIP qualifies as me purchasing top-tier equipment. (I actually stopped using it when I got better at the game!)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Do the weapon XP prices fluctuate much at all? The dueling spinfuser is listed as "new" right now and only costs what, 4800 xp? Is that supposed to be an introductory price or is it just random?

You guys weren't kidding about the nastiness when leaving the kiddie pool either... I am so, so bad at this game.

The big bunch of new weapons they recently introduced are just tweaks to existing weapons and so are really cheap.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The Joe Man posted:

I'd argue that the Sentinel's Nova Blaster requires the most skill to use effectively compared to every other weapon in the game.

"Grace" isn't just about skill. The term is supposed to describe the character of duels between people using them.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I occasionally have a problem when I'm doombringering it up and enemies basically fly in so close to me that I literally can't track them. The problem is especially bad on Arx Novena with those two little structures surrounding the flag stand. Is there a solution to this other than "don't suck?"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Put a mine about halfway down each hallway. If your gens are up, angle your force field so that it cuts across both routes (a 45 degree angle to the base). Stand a little behind the flag and keep it between you and the capper, then right before he comes in, jet forward into him. You should get a flag defender and flag return all in one move (fully upgraded super heavy is an obvious must-have).

The Titan is far more useful, but if you're having trouble spotting the capper, switch to the saber and sweep it over the capper routes. When you see it start to lock on, switch to your gun and start chaining.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean that I couldn't deal with certain capper angles. I literally meant some jerkoff bored pathfinder or raider rolling in and hopping back and forth over my head like a retarded jackrabbit, dropping plasma balls or bolt launcher bolts down onto my stand as I futilely spin around while looking almost directly up.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
It's not that the generator isn't good to have up, it's that there's always something you can be doing that's more useful than repairing it (especially if you aren't using the improved repair tool because you're a Soldier).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Does anyone have any quick tips for being a useful (read: not enemy-generator-camping) infiltrator? I figure the stuff I'm supposed to be doing is harassing enemy sentinels and HoFs and getting e-grabs but I haven't quite gotten the knack of how. Maybe someone has a Youtube video recommendation?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Is there going to be an SA clan tag?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

accipter posted:

I have only been playing a short time and I am only in my teens (level not age). Is it okay to llama grab for defensive purposes?
It's called an e-grab (emergency grab) and it's completely appropriate.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I would love to see some pro players decide to be the Harlem globetrotters and roll around public servers doing goofy flag poo poo.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I think I played my first game as a useful infiltrator. The enemy team had two sentinels and I was just so annoying. The best part about distracting them was that even if I died, I still managed to distract them long enough for our capper to get out.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bartkusa posted:

I... thought the voices were good.

Is there anything in the game that will prevent me from using a clan's tag?

Did you listen all the way to the end?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I'm just going to go with LLJK unless someone comes up with something brilliant.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

(multiple DMBs with chainguns, making it impossible to attack their stand as a TCN)
Chainguns are bullshit but I don't know if this is particular complaint will get you much sympathy. :geno:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

But then made up for it with the DS announcer and the voice packs.

What's wrong with the DS announcer? Am I betraying some massive privilege or something by even asking? :ohdear:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Aw christ, that's the announcer?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

psivamp posted:

So, Target Practice has some fun new bugs for me. All the icon/markers on target dummies show them as being heavies -- proper damage and model, just the wrong marker.

It's always been like that for me.

psivamp posted:

Also, I can't seem to test-drive any weapons that I don't already own... which mostly defeats the purpose.

Are you sure? The menu options to do it are weird and poorly-designed in practice mode (at least that's the way I felt).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I guess I might as well put my name ([LLJK]beepboopblorp) here.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Elysiume posted:

Nah, just a persistent crack. They already have it in, and it's bullshit, so it might as well be a punishment.

Letting people toggle screen cracking was an amazing move. Now they just need to let people actually turn the loving censor off.

It turns itself back on for me every time I start the game. :(

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Svaha posted:

Fun times Elysiume and Tenspeed :) Too bad we kept ending up on opposite teams though.

E:Is there a change teams button, or do you have to exit the match and re-enter?

'P' is supposed to do it but it never works for me.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
So Stonehenge is in the rotation? I haven't seen it once.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The Super Heavy "splat" noise will still be my favorite, gently caress the haters :colbert:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I wonder if Stonehenge will get added to whatever quick play rotation I always end up in that doesn't have it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Klyith posted:

you can't upgrade base assets in organized play

What's the reason for this, out of curiosity?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

LuiCypher posted:

I especially enjoy it when they put up force fields while their generator is a smoking cinder.

This is worth doing for those rare moments when the gen comes up exactly a second before a capper comes in and you get a hilarious bug zap.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

LuiCypher posted:

Unfortunately, pubs aren't that coordinated.

That being said, if I saw it I wouldn't hesitate to laugh and say "Well played, sir. Well played".

Well it never happens intentionally, but I saw it happen accidentally once. I was the HoF. It was great.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I love blitz because there isn't even a pretense of it being about team skill or organization or coordination. It's just TDM with two flags instead of one.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Section Z posted:

As amazing as that would be, I could see some problems.

Your doombringer's mines got set of. Welp, everyone on the stand is dead. Free flag grabs!

The real problem is the trolling potential.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
It's so frustrating to play for more than two hours without getting a win :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
How the hell are you supposed to body block as a solider? I know you're supposed to go out to meet the capper, but I feel like if I can get myself lined up enough to actually do it it just means that I'm about to get a disc to the face.

• Locked thread