Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I always hang around and wait for the spectacle when I see a lot of NPCs walking toward each other on those narrow walkways in the citadel. Inevitably it's just a matter of time before they run into each other and at least half of them implode (they even leave their ammo boxes on the ground). There's even a flashy lightning-looking effect when it happens, because bugs are features in E.Y.E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Dude has got a serious drinking problem.

:golfclap:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dabir posted:

Oh yeah, happens all the time in the temple. There's few things more unnerving than two heavily-armoured cyber samurai trying and failing to pass each other so hard that one of them just explodes. Funnily enough you don't see important NPCs running around much in EYE.

Spectacular. I'm going to have to watch some more NPCs when I'm not killing them to see if it happens more often then.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah, I'm with the guys who aren't really entertained by games like goat simulator, because half of the fun of glitches is the feeling that you're breaking the rules in some way. You're doing something you're not supposed to do and seeing something you're not supposed to see.

I remember playing World of Warcraft before Cataclysm, where you couldn't fly flying mounts in the vanilla continents, and finding weird spots in the landscape that would open up and let you explore all kinds of cool places you weren't supposed to be in. Yes, all I was really "doing" was just walking around, but I felt like I found the goddamn closet to Narnia.

What they need to do is to develop a game that has just a whole universe of weird rear end glitches and crazy poo poo you can do, but hide it under a very thin, very easily breakable facade of a "regular game" so that producing those glitches is both very easy and makes you feel like a little kid getting away with breaking windows.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

GreatGreen posted:

What they need to do is to develop a game that has just a whole universe of weird rear end glitches and crazy poo poo you can do, but hide it under a very thin, very easily breakable facade of a "regular game" so that producing those glitches is both very easy and makes you feel like a little kid getting away with breaking windows.
So Assassin's Creed.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Forgall posted:

So Assassin's Creed.

Or, quite literally, Saints Row 4. You even "glitch out" some places by uploading viruses. It's also a great game.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Kikas posted:

Or, quite literally, Saints Row 4. You even "glitch out" some places by uploading viruses. It's also a great game.

Well no, because those are an intentional part of the game. I mean, yes it's a great game, but it would be more like... if the VR stuff somehow became a thing in regular SR3 because of the one mission involving it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

So Frog Fractions Two?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm actually pretty sure that that's what Goat Simulator is. A game built on a purposefully lovely physics engine with no attempt to fix any bugs as long as they aren't gamebreaking. Of course, there's the layer of monkeycheese humor on top of that.

The Stanley Parable has moments like what you're talking about though, especially a certain ending that people are still unsure about whether it's intentional or not.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, I'm with the guys who aren't really entertained by games like goat simulator, because half of the fun of glitches is the feeling that you're breaking the rules in some way. You're doing something you're not supposed to do and seeing something you're not supposed to see.

I remember playing World of Warcraft before Cataclysm, where you couldn't fly flying mounts in the vanilla continents, and finding weird spots in the landscape that would open up and let you explore all kinds of cool places you weren't supposed to be in. Yes, all I was really "doing" was just walking around, but I felt like I found the goddamn closet to Narnia.

Pre-cata WoW tended to have tons of weird little goldmines of hidden and unfinished areas. My favorite will still be the upside down sinners area of karazan and I'm sad they closed it off for good now, from what I hear.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

HellCopter posted:

The Stanley Parable has moments like what you're talking about though, especially a certain ending that people are still unsure about whether it's intentional or not.

Are you talking about "The Confusion Ending" or something else?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GreatGreen posted:

This is the only way I play Pokémon now. Once you understand how to manipulate the original game's memory at will, there are dozens of strange Glitch Cities to explore. This is what it looks like when you use those bugs to beat the Elite Four in 20 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCkw2kSzCcE&t=380s

And if you'd like to watch a feature film's worth of Pokemon, here's what it looks like when you use those bugs to catch all 151 Pokémon in under 2 hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrspyLH0IoU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rollersnake posted:

Are you talking about "The Confusion Ending" or something else?

Nah, the Launch pod ending. It ends really abruptly and people aren't sure if it was bugged or not.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RatHat posted:

Nah, the Launch pod ending. It ends really abruptly and people aren't sure if it was bugged or not.
Didn't somebody crack open the code and find that that part was trying to play sound files that weren't actually there?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

Anodyne does something like this. It's a zelda style game for a long time and eventually you get abilities like being able to swap the map tiles, collision and all. There are dungeons and poo poo built around the concept, it's interesting.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Oblivion was pretty much the king of that feeling, though. I remember being able to download some DLC which put a wizard's tower on the map for you to live in. But if you save while in the tower, delete the DLC, and reload that save, you spawn in a black void. Fall for a bit, and you respawn in an empty house. Outside the house is an area labeled "Wilderness", six houses in a circle (some able to enter, some not, all empty) and a bonfire with a test weapon called "Mace of Doom" in front of it that did some huge amount of fire damage and the number of charges it held went off the screen. This is a "my dad works at Nintendo" level glitch. The houses were also surrounded by some vast empty plane of water but I've a healthy fear of oceans in video games so I stayed away from that.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

GreatGreen posted:

Sounds like Skate 3
http://youtu.be/vxgchFnwxis

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Full circle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HellCopter posted:

Oblivion was pretty much the king of that feeling, though. I remember being able to download some DLC which put a wizard's tower on the map for you to live in. But if you save while in the tower, delete the DLC, and reload that save, you spawn in a black void. Fall for a bit, and you respawn in an empty house. Outside the house is an area labeled "Wilderness", six houses in a circle (some able to enter, some not, all empty) and a bonfire with a test weapon called "Mace of Doom" in front of it that did some huge amount of fire damage and the number of charges it held went off the screen. This is a "my dad works at Nintendo" level glitch. The houses were also surrounded by some vast empty plane of water but I've a healthy fear of oceans in video games so I stayed away from that.

When I did my San Andreas LP a while back, I spent a while exploring some of the various Easter Eggs/glitches in the game. The most interesting to me were the cutscene locations which were tucked away in various parts of the game world, which were accessible through some ridiculous steps like spawning jetpacks in particular locations and flying between seams in the geography. The one I could sadly never replicate required a trainer that allowed you to fly high up above a particular building out in the desert, which would put you into a mysterious house filled up with multiple items that spawn during optional burglary missions. The creepy part was that the house is full of frames photographs of all the girlfriends you can date in the game, and there's also a faceless NPC with pitch-black skin that will rush you and try to kill you as you explore. If you kill it, it doesn't bleed like every other NPC in the game does. It's just bizarrely creepy and I have no idea what possible function it served in the game outside of throwing something creepy into a location that it should be impossible for anybody to actually ever see.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More Skate 3, this time with Vinesauce guided by HelixSnake's glitchfinding hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxgchFnwxis

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

GreatGreen posted:

It already got posted ages ago but the legend of Zelda: Link's awakening has an bug that allows you to teleport yourself, clone items/entities and generally destroy the game by getting items you shouldn't have (the level 0 shield) at times you shouldn't have them (anytime ever). Tas videos has a playaround run just for showing off the amount of fuckery and havoc that can happen solely due to the game not disabling the map during screen transitions.

http://tasvideos.org/3579S.html

It's also important to note that the bug is trivial to do on hardware. You don't need reflexes or frame perfect timing to explore the hellish glitchscape under koholint.

bucketmouse has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Dec 5, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bucketmouse posted:

It already got posted ages ago but the legend of Zelda: Link's awakening has an bug that allows you to teleport yourself, clone items/entities and generally destroy the game by getting items you shouldn't have (the level 0 shield) at times you shouldn't have them (anytime ever). Tas videos has a playaround run just for showing off the amount of fuckery and havoc that can happen solely due to the game not disabling the map during screen transitions.

It's also important to note that the bug is trivial to do on hardware. You don't need reflexes or frame perfect timing to explore the hellish glitchscape under koholint.

MeccaPrime also did an LP where he just played around with Link's Awakening like this. Pretty amazing.

http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Links-Awakening/

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's a reason I'm one of the many people who think the DX version is inferior, as it fixed the exploit/glitch by keeping Link centered on the screen at all times.

Though unfortunately if you're not careful with LA, you can get yourself to an unwinnable state with the Ghost and any other 'I won't go into a dungeon' character - though I somehow managed to glitch my copy to a state where the ghost never shows up in any consequential game, which thankfully isn't important to finishing it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

bucketmouse posted:

I figured out how to do this when I was a kid. I think I put in like three times as many hours playing in the glitch dungeons than I ever did legit playing. :allears:

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
I never legitimately finished Link's awakening because every time I would try a new game it took me like an hour before I just started teleporting everywhere and loving with everything. One of the best glitches ever, super fun.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Wandering Knitter posted:

I figured out how to do this when I was a kid. I think I put in like three times as many hours playing in the glitch dungeons than I ever did legit playing. :allears:

:hfive:

Living in the middle of nowhere as a kid meant 2 hour bus rides for the whole of 3rd/4th grade.

Robindaybird posted:

It's a reason I'm one of the many people who think the DX version is inferior, as it fixed the exploit/glitch by keeping Link centered on the screen at all times.

Though unfortunately if you're not careful with LA, you can get yourself to an unwinnable state with the Ghost and any other 'I won't go into a dungeon' character - though I somehow managed to glitch my copy to a state where the ghost never shows up in any consequential game, which thankfully isn't important to finishing it.

Nah. You can just wall-warp into the dungeons using the long house in the animal village.

Assuming you can keep bow-wow from eating dungeon puzzle pieces or bosses, that is..

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bucketmouse posted:

Living in the middle of nowhere as a kid meant 2 hour bus rides for the whole of 3rd/4th grade.

Nah. You can just wall-warp into the dungeons using the long house in the animal village.

Assuming you can keep bow-wow from eating dungeon puzzle pieces or bosses, that is..

I remember that! I found a spot to get into the level 6 or 7 dungeon in the beginning of the game where you could open the glitched chest for the level 2 power bracelet. The first time you grabbed it it would only be level 1, you could just save quit and then grab it again for level 2 and proceed to sequence break the whole game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

bucketmouse posted:

I never knew that (Though I usually had this glitched with Marin and not Bow-Wow)

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Did you know that blue racing cars are dicks to other cars and physics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCK0KAt44k0

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sometimes physics is a dick to racecars!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wE5ckUBEk0

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Videogame cars and physics seem to not entirely be on speaking terms sometimes, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjYi0CkrlY

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Pre-cata WoW tended to have tons of weird little goldmines of hidden and unfinished areas. My favorite will still be the upside down sinners area of karazan and I'm sad they closed it off for good now, from what I hear.

I always used to climb up to the top of the Dwarf Mountain whatever it was called, and there was a small cave with an empty chest inside and at the very top a flag.

There used to be a couple of flight paths that took you right over this, so I used to chill out there and people would come flying past.

I was the loving master of exploring WoW areas. Like, Mount Hyjal was one of the more well known ones, where at the top there was a huge tree with a pool underneath that went down like 5 minutes swimming, and only possible to reach the bottom if you had water breathing. Only to find at the bottom a couple rocks. Or the Caverns of Time when it was only half textured.

But some of the less well known like flying underneath Outlands to get into non instanced Black Temple, or walking around the Stranglethorne mountains to get into non instanced Gurubashi place, or the goblin sawmills in the area next to the Barrens with the harpies and poo poo.

Man, now I feel all nostalgic and poo poo, I had so much fun trying to explore every inch of WoW, and perfecting my wall jumping technique.

Medieval Medic has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Dec 6, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dying and walking through walls in Ironforge to reach Old Ironforge was the best. Too bad there was nothing down there except for more lava and an anvil.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

The Kins posted:

Videogame cars and physics seem to not entirely be on speaking terms sometimes, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjYi0CkrlY

This is the car equivalent of getting hit so hard your socks fly off. That front bumper continuing to roll gets me every time too.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Medieval Medic posted:

But some of the less well known like flying underneath Outlands to get into non instanced Black Temple, or walking around the Stranglethorne mountains to get into non instanced Gurubashi place, or the goblin sawmills in the area next to the Barrens with the harpies and poo poo.
The Stonetalon one was odd; You already had the same assets in the parts of Stonetalon Mountains that you could access. After the Upside-Down Sinners in Karazhan's cellar, my favourite area was the hidden troll village in Darkshore. It even had random NPCs.

There was also an island off Dustwallow Marsh that was supposed to be where Varian Wrynn was held hostage, but they never got around to finishing the area. Nor did they ever activate the portals that the four green dragons were guarding. :argh:

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
In Gran Turismo 3, you could tune a car so its airfoil propelled it into what would be a backflip...except the game's engine didn't let cars do that. The result was that your car would be in a permanent wheelie, and due to the game's calculation of speed, this let you accelerate up to 1000kmph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLnsxk5juMI

This is also how I won one of the 12hr endurance events. Tape on the accelerator, turn TV off, come back, win!

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

f#a# posted:

In Gran Turismo 3, you could tune a car so its airfoil propelled it into what would be a backflip...except the game's engine didn't let cars do that. The result was that your car would be in a permanent wheelie, and due to the game's calculation of speed, this let you accelerate up to 1000kmph:

Even better, if you somehow go outside of the track and into the background, you will be able to go as fast as 2147483647km/h!
Go to 3:20 to see it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqi4xK9gnSk

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mierenneuker posted:

This Skate 3 glitches compilation/wacky physics bonanza never fails to brighten my day. Sometimes the camera work is just amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaUR6u8nHoM

If you want more, there is a part 2.

If my kids ever ask me what spooning is I'm going to play them this video.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Ofaloaf posted:

Dying and walking through walls in Ironforge to reach Old Ironforge was the best. Too bad there was nothing down there except for more lava and an anvil.

There were another way too. If you dueled a warlock outside the bank and got into the armor shop to the left (?), and got feared on the stairs up to the second floor, you could get feared through the wall and into old IF. There may or may not have been a mage polymorphing you involved too. And it didn't always work, but at least you got away without the repair bill.

hirvox posted:

There was also an island off Dustwallow Marsh that was supposed to be where Varian Wrynn was held hostage, but they never got around to finishing the area. Nor did they ever activate the portals that the four green dragons were guarding. :argh:

Alcaz Island? One of the first things I did when I got prowl on my druid, was stealth inside there and take a bunch of screenshots. Having to dodge so many nagas and dragonkin …

I think my favourite places were the village south of Silithus and the high elf tower north of EPL. Tower went away with the addition of blood elves and Ghostlands (or was it Cata?), and the tauren village went away with Cata. I spent a lot of time swimming around the continents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away