Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

I can already hear the Skate 3 I'm stuck the geometry send help noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Datasmurf posted:

There were another way too. If you dueled a warlock outside the bank and got into the armor shop to the left (?), and got feared on the stairs up to the second floor, you could get feared through the wall and into old IF. There may or may not have been a mage polymorphing you involved too. And it didn't always work, but at least you got away without the repair bill.

You could get feared through the wall behind a certain brazier too.

Back before they fixed walljumping and stuff I liked to explore too. One thing I did a lot was jumping "under" Stormwind. It wasn't that visually impressive, but you could get behind the gate of the closed instance across from the Stockades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLWFrfo9jE8

There was also a way to get into Undercity by climbing the outside of the castle and falling through to a high ledge. It was a good way for Alliance to get into the city without having to deal with the elevator guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRZ4wYdIGZ4

RatHat has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Dec 9, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

HellCopter posted:

Oblivion was pretty much the king of that feeling, though. I remember being able to download some DLC which put a wizard's tower on the map for you to live in. But if you save while in the tower, delete the DLC, and reload that save, you spawn in a black void. Fall for a bit, and you respawn in an empty house. Outside the house is an area labeled "Wilderness", six houses in a circle (some able to enter, some not, all empty) and a bonfire with a test weapon called "Mace of Doom" in front of it that did some huge amount of fire damage and the number of charges it held went off the screen. This is a "my dad works at Nintendo" level glitch. The houses were also surrounded by some vast empty plane of water but I've a healthy fear of oceans in video games so I stayed away from that.

I recently got a weird one in Skyrim, even by Elder Scrolls standards. I stood by a campfire and ate some food, which somehow caused my character to open an invisible door (complete with animations and everything). I ended up loading into a city that was halfway across the map from where I was. I assume it was something caused by some mods I was running, but with these games you never know.

Though I think the most bizarre continues to be the dragon that burned up into an invincible skeleton dragon mid-combat, then turned invisible and taunted me the whole time as I fled.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Dec 9, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

RatHat posted:

There was also a way to get into Undercity by climbing the outside of the castle and falling through to a high ledge. It was a good way for Alliance to get into the city without having to deal with the elevator guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRZ4wYdIGZ4

im the music

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oops, sorry about that. I had my sound muted when I found those videos.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I remember exploring in WoW. My only big discovery was once when I was in The Hinterlands, I think. On the beach, I figured out that the water next to land was "swimmable" in that it wouldn't fatigue you. I kept following the coast north, hugging a cliff and keeping out of the dark water. I did this for what seemed like hours. Eventually, the cliffside began sloping ever so slightly. I was finally able to find a point where I could wall hop to the top and I what I found was just a vast expanse of blank plains. I was able to summon my charger and run around, but there wasn't anything of note, other than just how massive and blank the whole area was. Travelling far enough in any direction would eventually end in a sheer drop into nothingness. I got a bunch of screenshots, but those are long gone.

Turns out that area would one day become Silvermoon City.

My only other claim to fame was being the only person in my server to have a baby gorilla pet, from the trading card game. Every time someone asked me where I got it, I told them it was an extremely rare drop from gorillas in Stranglethorn Vale and Un'Goro Crater. Word spread and for a short while this led to a widespread gorilla genocide in those zones, resulting in tons of overlevelled players just camping gorilla spawns and killing leveling players, essentially halting progression in those zones.

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

larchesdanrew posted:

I remember exploring in WoW. My only big discovery was once when I was in The Hinterlands, I think. On the beach, I figured out that the water next to land was "swimmable" in that it wouldn't fatigue you. I kept following the coast north, hugging a cliff and keeping out of the dark water. I did this for what seemed like hours. Eventually, the cliffside began sloping ever so slightly. I was finally able to find a point where I could wall hop to the top and I what I found was just a vast expanse of blank plains. I was able to summon my charger and run around, but there wasn't anything of note, other than just how massive and blank the whole area was. Travelling far enough in any direction would eventually end in a sheer drop into nothingness. I got a bunch of screenshots, but those are long gone.

Turns out that area would one day become Silvermoon City.

My only other claim to fame was being the only person in my server to have a baby gorilla pet, from the trading card game. Every time someone asked me where I got it, I told them it was an extremely rare drop from gorillas in Stranglethorn Vale and Un'Goro Crater. Word spread and for a short while this led to a widespread gorilla genocide in those zones, resulting in tons of overlevelled players just camping gorilla spawns and killing leveling players, essentially halting progression in those zones.

I loved playing WoW solely for exploration, and these last few posts are making me all damned nostalgic. I remember doing this exact same thing in the Hinterlands, and yeah, swimming whatever coasts I could, trying to exploit slopes and wall-runs and see whether I could get to any conceivable area on my own.

What I've always found really interesting — and I say this from the point of view of someone who doesn't really understand how modern game worlds are designed — is the fact that they actually set aside real (virtual) land for future expansions. Like, actually creating a section of the world as a placeholder for something years down the road, instead of just creating a physical barrier and having the "edge" of the world be there, and simply expanding that edge of the world outward in a future patch. But maybe that's not how game worlds like WoW actually work. How do game worlds like WoW actually work? Serious question.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku had a trivially easy to perform invincibility glitch. Wait for an enemy to throw a ki attack, start flying, and let the attack hit you while flying. You'll wind up standing on the ground still in flight mode, and enemies will just stand there as you punch them in the face repeatedly. This lasts indefinitely until you need to fly again. It saves you a lot of EXP grinding and turns a bad game into a completely different bad game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGOHSmEboxk

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

MiketheGreat posted:

How do game worlds like WoW actually work? Serious question.
I can't speak specifically to how WoW works, but I've worked on MMOs in the past and I'd guess they're using a grid-based streaming system. Instead of having one single huge world, the game world is essentially split into a grid the way you might see a real city gridded in a road atlas. Each of these grid squares is essentially a separate map, and what we think of as the "game world" is actually just an assemblage of these smaller maps into one continuous world. As you move around, the game load and unloads those grid chunks on-demand so that you (ideally) don't see any holes in the world.

Breaking the world into smaller chunks makes it easier for multiple people to work on different sections of the world, and also allows the client to use less memory by not loading the entire world at once. You can learn a lot about how a game's world is structured by finding a way to fall out of it.

As for "reserving space", well; I've seen that happen when someone's unfinished work accidentally gets integrated into the live branch. Without derailing much more than I already am, MMOs devs typically work in a development environment and promote their work to the live servers once it's approved. Often times, they are working on some things for the next patch as well as separate things for patches beyond that. Sometimes, stuff for later patches gets bundled up with stuff for the current patch and mistakenly goes live. As long as the unintended content isn't exploitable in some way, it's easier to leave it in than it is to go through the downtime / hassle / instability associated with releasing another patch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Another thing, also speaking from game dev experience- it's extremely difficult and risky to delete assets out of a project once they've been added. A particular file might look like it serves no purpose, but there's always a chance that something you overlooked depends on it and will break when it's gone.

This is also why games constantly ship with unfinished cut content in the package, it costs almost nothing to increase the file size a little bit and getting rid of it entails risk.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

haveblue posted:

This is also why games constantly ship with unfinished cut content in the package, it costs almost nothing to increase the file size a little bit and getting rid of it entails risk.

Reading about all the cool cut content still (somewhat) accessible in games makes one of my favourite TV Tropes pages: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DummiedOut

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aristophanes posted:

Reading about all the cool cut content still (somewhat) accessible in games makes one of my favourite TV Tropes pages: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DummiedOut

Try http://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor for a wiki entirely about that.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLB0SncSKPU

Things start getting weird when the streamer begins to freak around 3:10 and the match continues to fall apart from there.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Hobo Siege posted:

Things start getting weird when the streamer begins to freak around 3:10 and the match continues to fall apart from there.

Did you link the wrong video or something? The only thing that happens around 3:10 is Scorpion and Donkey Kong entering the ring, which is perfectly normal for the VGCW.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Hobo Siege posted:

VGCW manages to break the WWE games in ways that I don't think anyone expected.

There's a pin move which first debuted when Barack Obama was in the league that became known as the Obama roll because it would be reversed constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7AHOO8WlE&t=673s

The current record is 70 seconds of pins going back and forth.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

FredMSloniker posted:

Did you link the wrong video or something? The only thing that happens around 3:10 is Scorpion and Donkey Kong entering the ring, which is perfectly normal for the VGCW.

No, they were intended to come in separately. The game decided that they were the tagteam Toejam & Earl and it credits them as such at the end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB9Cpjd7PxI

Not really a glitch but god this game does not have the hardware to support itself. mmaaaaAAAAAAAA--==-AA-=--

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Hobo Siege posted:

Holy poo poo Scorpion's wacky AI dancing, strolling casually past Donkey Kong instead of helping him break pins, and randomly trying to straight up murder the ref out of loving nowhere :laffo:

VGCW is a treasure.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

HellCopter posted:

Oblivion was pretty much the king of that feeling, though. I remember being able to download some DLC which put a wizard's tower on the map for you to live in. But if you save while in the tower, delete the DLC, and reload that save, you spawn in a black void. Fall for a bit, and you respawn in an empty house. Outside the house is an area labeled "Wilderness", six houses in a circle (some able to enter, some not, all empty) and a bonfire with a test weapon called "Mace of Doom" in front of it that did some huge amount of fire damage and the number of charges it held went off the screen. This is a "my dad works at Nintendo" level glitch. The houses were also surrounded by some vast empty plane of water but I've a healthy fear of oceans in video games so I stayed away from that.

As I can remember, there's one thing you're missing - in the house, there's a sigil stone (or whatever they're called, they're what you obtain when you close an Oblivion gate). Pick it up, and you'll get a number of every possible sigil stone in the game. It was a fun glitch!

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Datasmurf posted:

I think my favourite places were the village south of Silithus and the high elf tower north of EPL. Tower went away with the addition of blood elves and Ghostlands (or was it Cata?), and the tauren village went away with Cata. I spent a lot of time swimming around the continents.

The tower was definitely not gone by WOTLK and the inclusion of bloodelves. I am not sure how it is now, but it used to be that the Blood Elf area was instanced apart from the rest of the continent with the instance portal in the Eastern Plaguelands, so you could swim around the whole continent without bumping into those areas because they weren't actually part of the geography, even if when you opened your map while swimming around there it would seem to place you ontop of those areas.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
I actually walked there during Wrath IIRC when I was bored and I think I remember finding what you ran up against.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Counter-Strike Global Offensive recently got an update that completely rebuilt the "Train" map to be better to play on... and also far, FAR prettier, resembling an old Russian train station. One of the little bits of polish they added was a pair of pigeons in one area, who'd fly away when a player got near.

Said pigeons were also strong enough to hold a human's weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhenntkfAgU

A day later, a patch was released with the changelog note "Sadly fixed a hilarious bug where players could ride pigeons". What wasn't mentioned in the patchnotes is that they also added a little sign to the map, memorialising the exploit that was.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I can't speak specifically to how WoW works, but I've worked on MMOs in the past and I'd guess they're using a grid-based streaming system. Instead of having one single huge world, the game world is essentially split into a grid the way you might see a real city gridded in a road atlas. Each of these grid squares is essentially a separate map, and what we think of as the "game world" is actually just an assemblage of these smaller maps into one continuous world. As you move around, the game load and unloads those grid chunks on-demand so that you (ideally) don't see any holes in the world.

Breaking the world into smaller chunks makes it easier for multiple people to work on different sections of the world, and also allows the client to use less memory by not loading the entire world at once. You can learn a lot about how a game's world is structured by finding a way to fall out of it.
Basic terrain in WoW was just a bunch of grid points with heights and textures. Anything more complex than that was implemented with separate models that were placed on the terrain. Bridges, overhangs, buildings, caves and such. When you stepped on one, the game ignored the terrain until you moved off it. So if you found a bad seam in a model, you could abuse it to fall through the seamless terrain.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Medieval Medic posted:

The tower was definitely not gone by WOTLK and the inclusion of bloodelves. I am not sure how it is now, but it used to be that the Blood Elf area was instanced apart from the rest of the continent with the instance portal in the Eastern Plaguelands, so you could swim around the whole continent without bumping into those areas because they weren't actually part of the geography, even if when you opened your map while swimming around there it would seem to place you ontop of those areas.

Ah, then it went with Cata. I remember logging out there before Cata, then being in Darna when the game went live, and when I went back, I couldn't find it. There may have been an invisible wall there after Cata, too.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I love BirgirPall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ2X8PHAI6Y&t=534s

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Isn't there a glitch in that that makes everyone super tall + skinny?

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

hirvox posted:

Basic terrain in WoW was just a bunch of grid points with heights and textures. Anything more complex than that was implemented with separate models that were placed on the terrain. Bridges, overhangs, buildings, caves and such. When you stepped on one, the game ignored the terrain until you moved off it. So if you found a bad seam in a model, you could abuse it to fall through the seamless terrain.

Wasn't there a bug in Ahn'Qiraj where you could replace the model for some small cosmetic doodad with a giant flight of stairs and then skip 90% of the instance?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Vomax posted:

Wasn't there a bug in Ahn'Qiraj where you could replace the model for some small cosmetic doodad with a giant flight of stairs and then skip 90% of the instance?

It wasn't a bug. Just straight up model replacement. You can still do that. Actually, I'm not 100% sure you can anymore. It is harder to do, at least. Blizzard doesn't really do anything unless you use it to exploit like that.
I know people would replace the model for Sungrass (a wheat/grass colored herb) into a giant shaft of light. The herbs would spawn in amongst other grass, and be hard to see.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In the 1992 Flashback game there was a pretty neat trick if you had played the game literally hundreds of times and knew the layout of every level: You can run through walls if you walk up right next to a wall, turn your back on it, then start running away but immediately turning around. I guess the turn radius is too big so you're now inside the wall and past the collision detection. Sadly there's only like 3-4 places where it's actually useful, cause mostly you'll fall to your death or at best save a minute's time.

This is kindof a poo poo video, but here's a guy doing it in the first 10-15 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJy-x2qBAn4
Note that he could have walked underneath instead but I guess there's some reason for his video being hundreds of minutes long that I don't care to find out.

e: holy gently caress he doesnt even know how to drop down from above into a crouch with your gun out jfc

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Playing The Crew lately, and it's actually not too bad, as long as you can put up with a pretty wonky physics engine and constant online.

It's a racing MMO (lol "MMO", only 8 players per session) that lets you drive all over the continental USA, big map, lots of stuff to see and do. There is also a "plot" where you play a guy who is working undercover for the FBI to catch a crooked FBI agent and the leader of an illegal underground racing gang (that also runs guns and drugs and murder and poo poo) who killed your brother. (Who incidentally was the leader of the gang originally).

Anyway, after you complete a mission, there is always a short little cutscene of your car sliding to a stop, or racing around the road, or pulling over to meet someone or whatnot. But it seems to be rendered in-game, so you often have a scene where you pull over to meet your FBI contact, but plow through 2 chain link fences and a picnic table to get to them, because before the cutscene you were in the wrong place.

My favourite was after a Dirt racing event, my Jeep Grand Cherokee finished the race, then in the cutscene made some thrilling drifts and turns to the main road upside down the entire way. All while my guy was happily talking on the phone to his handler. Just shots of my 4x4 drifting corners perfectly on its roof. It was great.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kimmalah posted:

Though I think the most bizarre continues to be the dragon that burned up into an invincible skeleton dragon mid-combat, then turned invisible and taunted me the whole time as I fled.

That's happened to me more than once, and I'm pretty sure it's mods dealing with creature behavior or specifically dragon behavior. Usually for me the dragon dies first, burns up, then suddenly my followers are in combat with it again and I have a big dragon skeleton that can't be hurt and my followers won't leave it alone.

My favorite one that's happened is that immediately after killing the first dragon in the main quest just outside Whiterun, I went back to Whiterun and the dragon's skeleton was limply draped over the trestle that surrounds the big tree in the middle of the city. Every time I would go inside and come back out, it would drop down again in a different orientation.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

That's happened to me more than once, and I'm pretty sure it's mods dealing with creature behavior or specifically dragon behavior. Usually for me the dragon dies first, burns up, then suddenly my followers are in combat with it again and I have a big dragon skeleton that can't be hurt and my followers won't leave it alone.

My favorite one that's happened is that immediately after killing the first dragon in the main quest just outside Whiterun, I went back to Whiterun and the dragon's skeleton was limply draped over the trestle that surrounds the big tree in the middle of the city. Every time I would go inside and come back out, it would drop down again in a different orientation.

It wasn't mods (in my case anyway), the skeleton dragon thing happened on the Xbox version of the game.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
More Birgirpall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iQzjVE7sq8

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Scariest thing in Evil Within

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Watched that last night and lost it when the eyes started blinking. Legit the worst thing I've seen in that playthrough.
http://youtu.be/cpyu7C1HesM?t=6m25s

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Forgall posted:

Scariest thing in Evil Within

This game is kind of fun to break. The pathing for the enemies can get wonky, and the way that Sebastian reacts with the camera means you can turn his torso 180 degrees around.

I still enjoyed it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

I knocked him out on the ground in a way where the animation finished partially over that ledge.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Hey it's either this or the stretched out spaghetti corpses that fly around like helicopters. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The great thing about it is that Joe Cobb is one of the few corpses in the game that never, ever goes away. So you'll have that gibbed nightmare hanging around Goodsprings forever.