Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I like BB:TM but the last game I played, which was a 2p game, I lost simply due to ridiculously bad rolls that even my opponent commented on. The game plays slightly too long in order for luck to be so much of a factor. Still, I hope they bring out some new teams, because I would really look forward to how they handle Lizardmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Tekopo posted:

I like BB:TM but the last game I played, which was a 2p game, I lost simply due to ridiculously bad rolls that even my opponent commented on.

So it plays exactly like regular BloodBowl!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah that's the joke, but it doesn't mean either game is the peak of gaming excellence. In that, regular BB has luck minimization mechanisms and incredible failures/successes DO allow the players to create meaningful narratives that create unique stories. For BBTM the only narrative is 'I failed three tackles in a row and turned a card around' or 'all my guys were sent out'.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Tekopo posted:

I like BB:TM but the last game I played, which was a 2p game, I lost simply due to ridiculously bad rolls that even my opponent commented on. The game plays slightly too long in order for luck to be so much of a factor. Still, I hope they bring out some new teams, because I would really look forward to how they handle Lizardmen.

I'm looking forward to Khemri! They will probably feature rules that say that you can never pick up the ball, ever, under any circumstances.

One (valid) criticism of Blood Bowl TM I've seen is that they need to add depth before they add breadth, so some other tactical component would be needed as just adding new teams wouldn't change much.

I'd like to see another three teams using a special Undead star player deck (for Khemri, Undead and Vampires or something) like the CWC and OWA decks. Maybe another one for Lizardmen, Amazons and.. some other team I can't think of right now. Norse maybe?

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 6, 2012

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I absolutely love BB:TM. I actually have more fun playing it two player than three or four... not exactly sure why. However, I definitely agree that....

bobvonunheil posted:

One (valid) criticism of Blood Bowl TM I've seen is that they need to add depth before they add breadth, so some other tactical component would be needed as just adding new teams wouldn't change much.

Strategies aren't too complex right now. I tend to just race for star players, then dominate.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Sky Traders review delayed because the rules are so bad I can't figure out how to play it properly. And the designer of course is nowhere to be found on BGG. <SIGH>.

One game I did get to play was Ninjato. Nice strategic interactive Euro. We're going to play again next week and I'll do a full write up then.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Has anybody played the expansion to Claustrophobia? I have been playing the base game a lot lately (after a hiatus) and I am wondering if it's worth it to expand.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 7, 2012

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

One game I did get to play was Ninjato. Nice strategic interactive Euro. We're going to play again next week and I'll do a full write up then.

Ninjato is great. It's like Stone Age with less dice and more Banzai. Really clever majority mechanic too.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So the next episode of Wil Wheaton's Tabletop is not even going to showcase a board game. It's gonna showcase an RPG. It's gonna showcase...Fiasco.

I am actually really looking forward to this.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Lorini posted:

Sky Traders review delayed because the rules are so bad I can't figure out how to play it properly. And the designer of course is nowhere to be found on BGG. <SIGH>.

Lorini - I clicked on his name in the game's information. It doesn't seem that he answers rules questions, but then it's very likely the game was translated (since it is Dust games) - does look like there is a healthy 'Rules' forum activity though, you might be able to suss out some of it that way. I'm waiting for Universal Head to do something before I pick up that one...
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/8164/gioacchino-prestigiacomo

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Tekopo posted:

So the next episode of Wil Wheaton's Tabletop is not even going to showcase a board game. It's gonna showcase an RPG. It's gonna showcase...Fiasco.

I am actually really looking forward to this.
Oh hey, awesome- I picked up Fiasco and the companion (Which Wheaton has a little blurb in, of course) about a month ago based on Shut Up & Sit Down's review and still have yet to play it, partly out of game nights running too high with people (or not the right people I'd want to play Fiasco with), and partly because I'm concerned about the teaching process being a total mess and turning people off of it right out of the gate.

It'll be interesting to actually see other people playing it, hopefully I can use it as a guide for my friends when we eventually do play it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Arkhamina posted:

Lorini - I clicked on his name in the game's information. It doesn't seem that he answers rules questions, but then it's very likely the game was translated (since it is Dust games) - does look like there is a healthy 'Rules' forum activity though, you might be able to suss out some of it that way. I'm waiting for Universal Head to do something before I pick up that one...
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/8164/gioacchino-prestigiacomo

A lot of the Rules discussion is simply guesses though. I get irritated when I buy a game and there's gaping holes in the rules, so it turns me off to playing. He's answered questions before the game was released, so hopefully at some point either he or FFG will issue formal errata and then I can play. In the meantime I have a bunch of other games to play. Dominant Species the Card Game just arrived, and GMT/Chad Jensen does a much better job with rules!

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I just thought of something else to ask about the Descent second edition. My problem with the first edition, is that the miniatures were of... questionable quality. Especially the larger ones had serious problems with them (one of my larger ones had a big hole in it, I contacted FFG to see if I could get a replacement and while I'm happy they sent one along for free.... it had the exact same problem). The videos seemed to indicate the miniatures had better sculpts, and the larger monsters in particular seemed significantly better, but I'm not sure if that isn't just marketing cherry picking the best of the crop.

It was actually my Demon. It had a large hole in his back.
V

Myrmidongs fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 7, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Myrmidongs posted:

I just thought of something else to ask about the Descent second edition. My problem with the first edition, is that the miniatures were of... questionable quality. Especially the larger ones had serious problems with them (one of my larger ones had a big hole in it, I contacted FFG to see if I could get a replacement and while I'm happy they sent one along for free.... it had the exact same problem). The videos seemed to indicate the miniatures had better sculpts, and the larger monsters in particular seemed significantly better, but I'm not sure if that isn't just marketing cherry picking the best of the crop.
Which mini are you talking about? The dragon? It had holes in wings from the start.
I had 3 copies of Descent 1 and the only difference was some warping of weapons/bases (99% fixable with hot water), mold lines and that the minis can sometimes STINK. Seriously, something between burnt rubber and rotten meat, one copy was so bad I couldn't play with it. Had to soak them in detergent overnight and it still didn't get rid of everything. Might be mold release agent, as they also tend to have problems with paint adhering to them. Wash them thoroughly like resin minis, possibly with alcohol as well just in case (it's that bad), and prime well.

The new minis seem a little bit better than in the first edition, though that may be the design, not the plastic. Better expect the same quality (I hope for better, GoW minis were indeed very nice).

Oh, wait, it's the boardgame thread, sorry :sweatdrop:

Also, unboxing & component review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix5AxXXTiGo

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The Sean posted:

Has anybody played the expansion to Claustrophobia? I have been playing the base game a lot lately (after a hiatus) and I am wondering if it's worth it to expand.

Depends on gaming budget. Have you tried the bonus blog scenarios or fan scenarios? They are free and pretty rad.

I ordered it based on the fact we love the base game so much. The expansion allows you to play all the blog scenarios that CROC posted since some use expansion components.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I bit the bullet and shelled out $80 for the last copy of Mage Knight my local game shop had. I'm so excited to play it!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The Rulebook for Dominant Species is probably the best rulebook I have ever read.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

The General posted:

The Rulebook for Dominant Species is probably the best rulebook I have ever read.

It's pretty good, as a game of that complexity goes. Except... one gigantic inexcusable gently caress-up:

The Ice Age card doesn't only trigger the end of the game, it also causes an immediate scoring based on tiles dominated... which is inexplicably separate from the end-of-game scoring of each tile as detailed in the rules.

I've played DS with a large number of people, including people I've taught it to blind, people who've watched it played, people who've read the rules but not played, people who've played but not read the rules, and people who've done both... and literally 100% of them were shocked to discover that you score both dominance and by-tile majority at the end of the game... half of them had looked at the "end of game scoring" in the rules and gone by that, and half had read the card that triggered the end of game, and none of them thought that the rules for the single most important part of the game would be split, without indication, between the rulebook and a card.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

xopods posted:

It's pretty good, as a game of that complexity goes. Except... one gigantic inexcusable gently caress-up:

The Ice Age card doesn't only trigger the end of the game, it also causes an immediate scoring based on tiles dominated... which is inexplicably separate from the end-of-game scoring of each tile as detailed in the rules.

I've played DS with a large number of people, including people I've taught it to blind, people who've watched it played, people who've read the rules but not played, people who've played but not read the rules, and people who've done both... and literally 100% of them were shocked to discover that you score both dominance and by-tile majority at the end of the game... half of them had looked at the "end of game scoring" in the rules and gone by that, and half had read the card that triggered the end of game, and none of them thought that the rules for the single most important part of the game would be split, without indication, between the rulebook and a card.
Wait, what? I have only played once and learned just by reading the book but I didn't see anything that indicated this. I am dying to play again but I think I'm going to read the whole book again first since now I'm sure this isn't the only thing I've missed.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Had fun with "Who would Win?". Someone argued that Robin Hood couldn't be intimidating "because he had a feather in his hat." We also heard this phrase in a thick British accent:
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." (Pause). "I'm the original rapper." (End of argument).

Can't wait to see what kinda Fiasco Will gets up to - from his blurb, he LOVES the game.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Raspberry Bang posted:

I bit the bullet and shelled out $80 for the last copy of Mage Knight my local game shop had. I'm so excited to play it!
it's currently my favorite game so I hope you like it. I would recommend watching this lengthy set of YouTube videos to demonstrate proper play and then play a solo game or two. That's what I did and then was able to play a coop scenario game with a 12 and 10 year old and everyone had fun.

My first solo game, even after watching the video, was still involved a lot of rule look-ups and learning where to find answers when I needed them, but the second solo effort was easy and quite fun.

Have a good time with it. It is an incredibly awesome game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU
(hope this link works. I'm sending this from my iPad. I'll edit it later if it doesn't and I apologize in advance)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Golden Bee posted:

Had fun with "Who would Win?". Someone argued that Robin Hood couldn't be intimidating "because he had a feather in his hat." We also heard this phrase in a thick British accent:
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." (Pause). "I'm the original rapper." (End of argument).

Can't wait to see what kinda Fiasco Will gets up to - from his blurb, he LOVES the game.

What is 'Who Would Win'? It sounds like a kid thing to argue about at lunch or recess, but it also sounds like there are some rules attached?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Has anyone tried Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small yet? I don't think it's actually out but I assume it's been shown at a few cons by now. I always loved Agricola's style and mechanics, but the sheer length was a big turn off for my group (also the drafting, ughhhh), so I'm pretty excited for this.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Has anyone tried Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small yet? I don't think it's actually out but I assume it's been shown at a few cons by now. I always loved Agricola's style and mechanics, but the sheer length was a big turn off for my group (also the drafting, ughhhh), so I'm pretty excited for this.

According to Zman's Facebook page, it should be out in the US next week. It's been out in Europe and Canada for awhile now, I'm really looking forward to it myself.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Wait, where does Agricola have card drafting?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Paradoxish posted:

I would assume you can conceivably draft the minor improvements and occupations. Might actually balance it out somewhat as well.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I would assume you can conceivably draft the minor improvements and occupations. Might actually balance it out somewhat as well.

I've heard this recommended. I think there's actually an official variant in the rulebook.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

tonedef131 posted:

Wait, what? I have only played once and learned just by reading the book but I didn't see anything that indicated this. I am dying to play again but I think I'm going to read the whole book again first since now I'm sure this isn't the only thing I've missed.

Yes, as I just said, it's only mentioned on the card itself, nowhere in the rules. That's the gigantic, inexcusable gently caress-up, because most players read the rules first, learn that the Ice Age card ends the game, assume that's all it does, and never read the card.

Anyway, yeah. It means end-of-game scoring is doubly huge. And is pretty much the focus of the whole game. If you're boned on the board at the end of the game, any point lead you might have had will disappear... someone doing reasonably well on the board might get, say, 40 points from tiles and, if they're dominant in 6, another 21 from that, so 61 total. While if you've been nearly wiped out in the last few turns, you might only get, say, 15 points from tiles and 3 points from dominating a couple of tundra/desert/whatever that no one else bothered with, so 18... for a 43-point swing.

Oh, and by the endgame, the Survivor bonus can also be like 28 points depending on how many habitable tundras you have and whether someone manages to get them all (though usually not, as long as people are fighting over them and not just letting one dude take them uncontested, which mostly only happens with beginners).

xopods fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 7, 2012

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

McNerd posted:

I've heard this recommended. I think there's actually an official variant in the rulebook.

That's actually pretty awesome and something I'll have to look into. Agricola is one of my group's most played games (relatively, anyway) and while I absolutely love the cards, I hate how badly they can potentially unbalance things.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone ever made an online directory of the different mechanics involved with modern board games? I think it'd be a cool project to be able to go to a page about card drafting, get something like a history and explanation of the mechanic, and be able to see all of the games/expansions that offer it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Card Drafting in Agricola is 100% necessary if you play with the Minor Improvements and Occupations. Otherwise there's just so much luck in getting a good combo that it throws off the game. Drafting mitigates that to a large extent by allowing players more of a chance to be able to get those combos. It doesn't always work out evenly, but it's still a ton better than blinds drawing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

PaybackJack posted:

Card Drafting in Agricola is 100% necessary if you play with the Minor Improvements and Occupations. Otherwise there's just so much luck in getting a good combo that it throws off the game. Drafting mitigates that to a large extent by allowing players more of a chance to be able to get those combos. It doesn't always work out evenly, but it's still a ton better than blinds drawing.

I agree. And there are a few ways of doing it, too. The slow and gamey way: give everyone a full hand of Minor Improvements, have them pick one and pass it. (like 7 Wonders). Or, better still, give everyone 3 more in their hand, and have discards at the end. (leads to a power-game, obviously). Other variations on this allow for discarding a card once. Again, these all take queues from 7 Wonders (for me, anyway).

Another way to do it is to just deal enough of one type of card face up to the table and let everyone pick one at a time. This is much faster, but benefits people with a better memory.

Both of these are completely inappropriate for someone not totally accustomed to the game already, though. Instead of reading through maybe 5 minor occupation cards (as a new player might end up achieving, if they get around to it) in a full play through, they are subjected to 40 or so in a full game. Familiarity is essential.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Posted a Summoner Wars thread.

Come on over and have a chat about this great game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PaybackJack posted:

I agree it's important for balance, but it feels very unsatisfying (this isn't to say you shouldn't do it; being dealt a lovely hand blind is even worse). No one ever gets what they want and everyone is always unhappy.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

A Strange Aeon posted:

What is 'Who Would Win'? It sounds like a kid thing to argue about at lunch or recess, but it also sounds like there are some rules attached?
It is and it does. Three player minimum. You and your opponent draw a red card (a fictional or historical person). Someone flips a green card - a contest (rapping, snowboarding, needlepoint, naval battle, etc). You have 20 seconds + a 5 second rebuttal to convince the judge(s) your person would win.
Would Horatio Nelson make a great nanny? Could Snow White win an archery contest?

It's first to five arguments, very breezy, but fun with the right people.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Paradoxish posted:

I have to also support this. I still play Agricola (I know I'm in the minority here) and I wouldn't really play anymore without drafting.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's gotten to the stage where I just won't play Agricola without some sort of draft (newbie draft can also be draw 10, keep 7, which actually works surprisingly well and keeps the game going without having to resort to a mini-game of 7 wonders).

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

Has anyone ever made an online directory of the different mechanics involved with modern board games? I think it'd be a cool project to be able to go to a page about card drafting, get something like a history and explanation of the mechanic, and be able to see all of the games/expansions that offer it.

Boardgamegeek has listings of game mechanics (linked on each game's page). I don't know if there's a place you can see them all at once, though.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals
Had a blast at the Descent 2nd Ed. preview today. It was a pretty small group, only 12 people, so I actually got to play one of the two encounters that were run.

Having not even played first edition, I was able to watch a single game then jump right in as Overlord next game. I still goofed a ton of times, as is to be expected in any new game I attempt, but the other folks were understanding. I even won a promo mini out of the whole deal.

My only gripe is the number of monsters and minis in the core box, so I'll probably use my own minis and buy the conversion kit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

flashdim posted:

Had a blast at the Descent 2nd Ed. preview today. It was a pretty small group, only 12 people, so I actually got to play one of the two encounters that were run.

Having not even played first edition, I was able to watch a single game then jump right in as Overlord next game. I still goofed a ton of times, as is to be expected in any new game I attempt, but the other folks were understanding. I even won a promo mini out of the whole deal.

My only gripe is the number of monsters and minis in the core box, so I'll probably use my own minis and buy the conversion kit too.

Oh nice! None going on anywhere near me in San Francisco this weekend, unfortunately. I assume your gripe is that there are too few monsters/minis? How many are there?

• Locked thread