Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

General Battuta posted:

Vlaada fans, hear my plea. I played Mage Knight for the first time last night - none of us had ever touched it before, and they assigned me to figure out the rules and teach everybody. We did the tutorial scenario. It was a grueling, joyless, cruelly random experience. We only made it through one day-night cycle (about three or four hours of play?) before I dropped out. The biggest issue seemed to be waiting for other people to take their drat turns - it seems like a game that could be fun with rapid-fire Dominion-style turns, but in practice there was a lot of hemming and hawing and 'oh, crap, I don't have enough movement points go get there'.

Was it just the group I was playing with? Is there some rules update or vital expansion we're missing? Or is it just...no fun?

I just got a copy last week and can't imagine trying to learn it with other people at the table. I was pretty stoked to receive this, so I read and re-read both rulebooks after watching some playthroughs online and then finally tried the walkthrough. I made some mistakes, but on my first solo conquest I got nearly everything right. I'll be playing my first multi-player tomorrow and only now feel like I know it well enough to show others.

It seems like one player needs to understand the game enough to be a sort of "DM" to help along. I would assume that training players this way allow you to slowly explain the rules during the walkthrough scenario and not overburden everyone with particulars until they need to know them.

I'll post back after the holiday my findings if people are interested, but I'm also curious on others experiences with teaching more players. Also, are many goons playing the solo scenario? What settings do you have your cities at? I beat the scenario the first time and may up the difficulty next time. (Also, holy crap what a great solo variant this game has).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

MrChupon posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for good boardgames to play 1v1 with my wife?

...So we're looking for games that are well designed for a 1 vs 1 experience.

Twilight Struggle fits what you're looking for. It isn't exactly a war game, although it does have elements of one. It's also one of the highest rated 2 player games around.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
Needed to flex my inner nerd last night so I played my second solo conquest game of Mage Knight. Played as Arythea, and didn't have great luck with the available units/spells/skills, as I had difficulty getting them all to work together. Units I wanted to recruit weren't available in the locations I was near, most of the spells available weren't offensive, plus I had sub-optimal play. I managed to take down one lvl 5 city, but couldn't even scratch the lvl 8. Regardless, it was so fun and the game play is top notch. I never expected to have as much fun with a board game by myself. Hoping to get another 2-player game in this Sunday (depending on chores), but I can't recommend this game enough for folks who have a slight interest in adventure gaming and have some gaming experience. The system is just frankly elegant.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

Jehde posted:

Catan is ported to Android too, actually, under that name. Although I'm not sure of its multiplayer capabilities.

Speaking of, I want to support Android developers that are producing quality replications of board games, but the reviews of Catan and Carcassone leave much to be desired. I realize iOS devices are the preferred platform for developers, so we don't need to get into that, but other than Androminion and the Tichu app I've seen mentioned previously is there anything else out there worth looking into? I picked up Elder Sign Omens when it was on sale a few weeks back, but I got bored of the luck-based mechanics fairly quickly.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
I don't have the time or the ingenuity to participate in the game design contest, but I think it's a great idea and I'd be happy to help judge. Please post here if a new thread is created for this.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Descent. Mage Knight is the kind of game where you marvel at how elegant and well-constructed the rules are but then don't really feel like playing it. Descent is straight-up fun.

I respectfully disagree with this. I haven't tried Descent, but after every game of Mage Knight I've played I reflect for about 15 minutes on the game/journey and where I could've improved and where my badass moves were and then have an urge to play again. For me it's a game that can't hit the table enough.

Just my opinion.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
I played Emienent Domain last night and had a good time with it. The mechanic of adding cards to your deck when you choose a role was an interesting twist. I'm curious though if this game has long-term re-playability or if once you learn how to optimize the two separate engines (colonize/warfare) that it's basically the same game every time. Anyone play it enough to have an opinion?

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

GrandpaPants posted:

How easy is Brass to teach/learn? What games is it comparable to? The only train games I've played are Ticket to Ride (not really a train game) and Railways of the World, which I think is also Sid Meier's Railroads. In any case, any comparisons? I'm intrigued because it is highly rated on BGG, but I'm also wary because it's highly rated on BGG.

The most difficult part about learning Brass is the terribly organized rulebook. Hopefully if there is/was a reprint this was addressed.

I love Brass and am always willing to teach new players if you are interested (although I still get crushed by advanced veterans). There's also an unofficial online version available at http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/ if you want to try before you buy but no AI is available.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
I'm not sure if I've seen it mentioned in the thread, but I played a game of Homesteaders for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. Despite the large amount of different resources, tiles and chits in the game, the rules are simple and the rulebook is fairly well laid out. It's a worker placement and auction game played over 10 rounds that also includes some resource management. Basically you bid on available lots (residential, commercial, industrial) with the winner granted the chance to then build a building for their tableau. These buildings can provide additional income, trade powers, victory points, etc, which some require placement of workers which you'll need to hire more of during the game. The winner is the one to accumulate the most victory points by making the best combination of buildings along with collecting any side victory points earned throughout.

Overall, the three of us had a good time with it. The auction mechanic is very well implemented as there are always one less available lot then there are players. This led to some nasty bidding battles, especially in the last round when a final building can provide sizable points enough to swing the victory. Speaking of the buildings, there are dozens of them available during certain stages of the game. I think a big part of the fun of playing this game is learning how they work together, however the first couple of games will likely require a lot of time reviewing each and will lengthen the game as each player weighs their options. I also want to mention that it was very easy to jump in and play, after I read the rulebook thoroughly I was able to teach the rules and be started playing within 15 minutes. Also, the quality of the components are some of the best I've ever seen in a board game, with solid thick cardboard counters and tiles and plenty of awesome wooden bits.

Look forward to playing this again, check it out if you haven't already.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
I guess I was a good boy this year, since I just received a new iPad for an early Christmas gift. Can someone help me out and point me somewhere where a list exists of ported board game apps? Thanks!

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

FTJ posted:

Got my copy of the Mage Knight expansion.
Anyone who enjoys Mage Knight definitely need to purchase this immediately. It's by far my favourite game.

My wife pre-ordered it for me for Christmas, but Amazon states it won't be in stock until the 9th.

What are some of your favorite additions in the expansion? Will all the additional bits fit in the original box (with the insert removed)?

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

saint gerald posted:

You can farm crazy XP if you run the Labyrinth all three times. I feel like that's a bit overpowered, but I guess if you match that with the powered-up expansion stuff (and Volkare, of course) it probably comes out about even.

Volkare is good times. You'll enjoy taking him on.

That is illegal. A player can only enter the maze/labyrinth once, but others can use it if they spend the different move costs.

The expansion is really really good, but gently caress general volkare, he is really tough.

Edit: ^^ argh, beaten!

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
Just wanted to quickly mention that YouTube user RickyRoyal who did the 2 excellent playthroughs of Mage Knight that have been posted here numerous times just started another with the Lost Legion expansion. Only 2 episodes have been posted so far but he is very diligent at posting new videos once he begins a series. If you haven't seen the new components including Volkare, check it out.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I just started a game of Brass over at http://brass.orderofthehammer.com

My first game ever of Brass actually. Has anybody had much experience playing there? What's vital for me to know going in first time? Any goons wanna play in my game?

Just sent you a a PM, but I'd be happy to play as well. Would live to get more goon games at orderofthehammer, just let me know.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

tonedef131 posted:

One other person you can play regularly with is ideal, I think it sucks with more than two.

I agree with this opinion of Mage Knight. It's also fantastic as a single player game. The expansion is also very good but I recommend a few play throughs with the base set first to get the basic rules down.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

Pierzak posted:

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. I've seen the original and it makes me want to poke my eyes out. I still haven't played Through The Ages because I'm waiting for a decent-looking redesign.

My original reply got lost into the ether, but TtA is amazing. I've only been playing it for a couple weeks at boardgaming-arena.com and I'm hooked. It only increases my man crush on Vladaa games, as this one might be my favorite. I did reference this startup guide at BGG for some rules which is very well organized. If you are on the fence, I highly encourage you to check it out.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

Blamestorm posted:

Out of curiosity, do you play with the dummy deck to set a limit on turns like the rules require? It's the thing I dislike most about two player.

I think the dummy player is important to use as it forces players to continually play through their deck and not stall trying to draw the right cards. I agree it's a pain to do manually, but there are free apps available to use which make it much easier. The Volkare expansion does this mechanic much better as Volkare gets his own deck and becomes the game timer. His deck turns one card (nearly) every turn and is never reshuffled.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

a bigass goku posted:

I think you need at least 3 players for Tzolkin but even 2 can be fun; it has a dummy workers system I think is decent enough. But yeah, 4 is optimal.

It was mentioned a while back but I can't find it, but does anybody have a video for Mage Knight beginners that will help teach the rules of the game?

Search on YouTube for Mage Knight and rickyRoyal or Paul Grogan. RickyRoyal is slow but very thorough and my recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

OmegaGoo posted:

I have played Brass once. I am upset about this. Because it was only once. I liked Brass.

I love Brass and never get to play enough. If you (and 1 or 2 others) want to play online at orderofthehammer sometime PM me.

• Locked thread