Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

nimby posted:

Use the round merchant in the action route(s) to force people to compete you away at double the cost/gain. Then use those free traders to free up more merchants from your Liber Sophiae. Then go free your actions when you can fill up the route with traders from all over the board.

Played a 3-player game of it 2 weeks ago and I scored more points than my opponents combined :smug:

Is there a good place to play Hansa Teutonica online? What a great game - being versatile in your strategy is the key to success. As for actions, you can actually win with just 3. Probably not 2, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sherrard posted:

Kinda like how all euro efficiency engine games blur together.

Let's not say things we can't take back, now.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Raspberry Bang posted:

It says it no longer available :(

Everyone is having that problem, something about Apple's server propagation. I don't know, it's never happened to me on any other app.

As far as A Few Acres of Snow, it seems like the only reason it is "by design, unfixable" is because to fix it would be to destroy its historical accuracy. Not that I give a poo poo about that, personally.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I thought the problem with A Few Acres of Snow was that the British could get money a lot faster and quicker than the French and quickly build up and overwhelm them before they can get moving since the French get their money through trading furs.

I mean, that's thematically the point, the French are supposed to win by spamming colonies.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Doesn't Mage Knight have a scenario or something that's effectively co-op, but with competitive scoring at the end?

Edit- I've actually always thought games like Pandemic would be drastically improved with some sort of scoring mechanic for individual players, but of course that'd change the game quite a bit.

They tried that with Castle Panic, but it basically was meaningless and stupid.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

One game I did get to play was Ninjato. Nice strategic interactive Euro. We're going to play again next week and I'll do a full write up then.

Ninjato is great. It's like Stone Age with less dice and more Banzai. Really clever majority mechanic too.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

By the way, if anyone enjoys light, high-speed puzzle games, I can't recommend Uluru enough. Players have a bunch of colored birds to place around an island. Each bird has a wish about where it wants to be in relation to the other birds. You get about 30 seconds to place them. It's loving hard as poo poo, but really fun and rewarding when you can pull off a "perfect" setup. Unfortunately, the game wasn't ever published in North America, but I found a copy at Game Surplus and I've heard that a few other places occasionally get copies in stock as well.

We love Ricochet Robots around here, this looks fantastic. How dare you tempt me with an unobtainable product

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sherrard posted:

I want Mice and Mystics because it just looks so drat :3:

Yeah, it's basically been mandated as an auto-buy here because of ~mice~

Lorini posted:

I second the recommendation of Uluru. Timewellspentgames.com and Funagain.com also carry it as well as gamesurplus.com. You can always email gamesurplus under their contact page and they'll let you know if/when they expect it.

Thanks! I actually found a copy on Amazon. This game will be a good contrast to Ricochet Robots where you're racing against your opponents to get the solution. I remember one time teaching it at a games meetup and this one poor guy sat there the entire game without seeing a single solution in time, I felt so bad for roping him in.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Kingdom Builder is great. I really want to play Village, I saw it at BGG.Con and was interested in the theme of having workers that age and die, and you have to spend "time" as a resource. Anyone played it?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I mean, from what I heard, Wizards of the Coast just bought someone's design for a worker placement game and then slapped the Lords of Waterdeep theme on it, so there's that.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Every day the board game drama continues to surprise me:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/811447/latest-update/page/1

tldr Some really schizophrenic lady took people's money for a Kickstarter a year ago and still hasn't produced any real material. Not enough :stare: to go around

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I really just hope they've learned from their past releases and include 3 of every card included in each set from the start like they started doing with the expansion packs.

They 99% won't, the FFG president CEO guy Christian T. Peterson said not putting 3 of every card lets them put more unique cards in the starter set, which is technically true for the same price but sucks in practice.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Not that it matters for recommendation's sake, but Cyclades is not a worker placement at all. It's a bidding game.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

These Loving Eyes posted:

Ha, now I noticed which crucial rule we misinterpreted: it costs only one movement to both explore AND move into the explored tile for the human player. Now I totally get why the demon player has such much power at his disposal because otherwise the humans could just stroll through the tiles. Oh well, I hope my friend didn't get totally burned because of the crushing defeats he faced.

Many people got discouraged at the very first scenario because they misinterpreted it as a standard dungeon crawler and play it completely wrong: the human player is doomed from the start and has to haul serious rear end to the exit. Anything other than that will result in failure. It's awesome.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I do have a potentially dumb question about the rules, however- when you sell goods or pick up worker tiles, are you allowed to immediately use the silverlings/workers in the same turn that you gain them, or do you have to wait until your next turn? I've gone over the rulebook a few times and it still seems kind of ambiguous about this.

Why would you have to wait to use them? But yes, you can use them immediately to make clever plays.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

Prepare to be astounded by the uselessness of the box inserts! They really are quite unique.

The figurine insert is the only one worth keeping, everything else fits fine after you chuck the rest.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

Heads up to everyone: If you wanted to buy Dominant Species, it's going for $39.99 at CSI right now.

Dominant Species @ CSI

If there was ever a time to break down and just buy it...

But now I need $100 worth, ugh.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Jedit posted:

Well, I've whipped it out in a game shop a time or five and I've never caught anyone not enjoying themselves. A few have even bought their own copy afterwards. If it has design issues I haven't spotted them, apart from maybe suicide dashes making some of the end rooms a bit of a coinflip, but suicide runs are thematic anyway.

The design issues being lack of choices, dice rolls for every action besides movement with wildly variable results, fake "secrecy" rules, team imbalances (green), and more. The corridor setup is pretty cool, but like Red November, you get the same result rolling one die at the beginning of the game to see if you win or lose vs. playing the actual game.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Man, those anime promo cards are more of a disincentive to pledge early, but I'll totally jump in on this. I'd be a bit worried about player elimination with the assassination stuff, but maybe it's more of a special automatic win/lose type scenario that only comes in the final round.

If there's one thing I've always thought was lacking from The Resistance, it was More Anime. I've never pledged faster.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

I realize we're probably a month or so away from a retail release for Netrunner, but man do I hope it's less than 10 days.

Our lesser demon and antichrist Christian T Peterson confirmed it will be 4 weeks to release.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

I just won Castles of Burgundy at a party, should I keep it or trade it off? I have my share of dry worker placements already, but those tend to go over better than anything with my group of friends.

The value isn't that high (~$25) but regardless I would say keep it since it's an excellent game. It's not really a worker placement game, though, more action selection and tile placement with dice.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The hilarity never ends with the Glory to Rome Black Box Kickstarter.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/846200/black-box-damage

Can't wait for my copy!!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The first contest where I knew all 5 questions without even trying :allears: I am so proud...

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

A year or however long it was later, the Glory to Rome Black Box Edition arrived at my door. It almost didn't arrive, as evidenced by the giant tear in the back of the package. All the damage reports in that thread (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/846200/black-box-damage/) were basically true for my copy as well. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty :spergin: when it comes to component quality, but the game seriously looks used upon first opening it. It's bizarre. It's totally fine to play and I can't wait, but man, it's just kind of ridiculous how poorly this campaign continues to go for them.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

Lately, I've been enjoying the butt-hurt tone in their emails and posts when they complain about people complaining.

Yep.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

Until you find a picture of a young-ish woman looking sideways at a boardgame. Then the comments go all :catstare:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/all?username=&sort=hot&date=alltime&gallery=people&tag=&licensefilter=&B1=Go

Comments are locked for this item

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

This man speaks the truth. RSP is the worst, but yet for some unknown reason, I can't help to read it daily while punching myself in the nuts. I have learned that boardgames attract a surprising amount of conservative and religious fans.

Well, Tom Vasel, the most popular guy, doesn't believe in evolution or something and was upset about how DARK Ascension Chronicle of the GODSLAYER is.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sherrard posted:

SUaSD is funny and serious at the same time while Drakkenstrike is just another lovely unboxer who reads rules at you.

Drakkenstrike spends half his video talking about how he sleeved all his cards and don't they look so nice, and this game is one of his all-time favorites *sells it in an auction 2 months later*

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

McNerd posted:

Just to follow up, I hadn't noticed the deluxe version also came with little sauté pans as well as the sticks. I don't have any opinion on those.

I do, I think they're fantastic and even emailed the creator to see if I could buy some more. He didn't respond :smith:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

There's this Kickstarter for a Space Alert type game:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bfrgames/damage-report

It's basically a modular, real-time pick-up-and-deliver game where you're trying to repair damaged sections of your ship using components scattered around the ship (although there are multiple scenarios that change the strategy, it seems that's the core gameplay mechanic). It looks interesting enough to play and doesn't look like it would feel too similar to Space Alert, but I doubt it's half as fun. I mean, we're talking about Space Alert here.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

I can't help but feel that the game would play much better if there was a way to slow it down some. I want to introduce the game to some friends on Tuesday, but I need to find a way to "fix" it before that - either find out what I'm doing wrong with the rules or tweak them to make the game less rear end-crushingly hard. Here's some tweaks I'm considering:

You don't need any of those rule tweaks, maybe don't use rumors for your first game so the experience isn't ruined. The way to slow the game down is to seal the four hot spots, which are Woods, Independence Square, Witch House, and one other that I forgot. These locations show up much more often in the deck (which is why you saw the same location multiple times in a row), so sealing them first gives you tons of breathing room. Also, another thing it sounds like you're doing wrong is that you should absolutely never go into a gate unless you can seal it (unless you're at the gate limit). When playing with 4 or more, some people take on specific roles, usually either gate closing or street cleaning, which helps things from getting out of hand. You definitely have time to go shopping and pick up clues and poo poo if you keep this in mind.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

OmegaGoo posted:

I believe it's the Unnamable, but it might be Unvisited Isle.

Yeah, it's Unvisited Isle.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Cult of the New And Improved

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Prefect Six posted:

The game is for sale on Amazon w/ prime shipping.

No discount?! Amazon is a harsh mistress.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I believe Puerto Rico is minimum 3 players.

There's a 2 player variant. I used it my first game, and it was fine.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Philthy posted:

Looks like I can take Defenders of the Realm off my "take a closer look" list.

You can still check it out, their review wasn't that great.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Spincut posted:

How...how do you decide what cards to play with when you have that many?

Randomizer apps.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Kanpachi posted:

e: beaten to my own question

Yeah, that's right. I haven't played a board game in so long that I'm on edge. Please, I'll even play Fluxx at this point. Look what I've been reduced to, and despair.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Looselybased posted:

Blast and hellfire, miss-clicked on an item in a recent math trade and of course I'm now receiving two copies of Quarriors. I always have the best luck with these things.

That happened to me once. I had pretty good luck getting rid of the second copy, you can trade/sell it now and have the original owner just ship it to them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I haven't played Netrunner yet and it sounds like the lot of you are making this bullshit up.

I'm half-expecting someone to say that the cards are called "programs" or some poo poo, unless they're discarded, in which case they're called "Blockbuster Video rentals."

I'm not really that surprised when the object of the game is to score seven "dystopia points."

• Locked thread