Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Nice OP, but maybe you should suggest a simpler Ameritrash game to start out with than BSG. It not only has way more rules than Carc or Dominion, but also runs about six times longer than a round of either of those two, probably even more if a group is getting together to learn it for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I had the chance to play the new edition of Descent yesterday. I thought it was really good, a much better experience than the D&D co-op games. They stripped out a lot of the rules that were annoying in the old edition, like readying actions and the DM spawning monsters any place that the PCs don't have line of sight. The components are improved too; the new map tiles in particular have really pretty art. Campaign mode looks like it's going to be fun to do.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

flashdim posted:

Preview events are this weekend, but I think the release proper is middle of the month-ish.

Fantasy Flight was apparently selling copies of Descent 2 at their game center in the Twin Cities last weekend; I played it with a member of my regular gaming group who had gone up there for an event.

The rules clearly state that LOS can be traced from any corner to any corner. They're up online, so I don't know why there would be any debate about it. As far as setup goes, there's way less crap to bring out on the table; PCs now have class decks to select starting powers and gear from similiar to how the D&D games play; and the dungeon is fully assembled before play starts. The three scenarios I played all had pretty compact maps; the game in total took up no more table space than Puerto Rico.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Myrmidongs posted:

I haven't looked much into the new edition. I really like Descent but there was just so much poo poo slopped on top that needlessly complicated it. I can never get my group to play it. How fast does it go now?

Pretty fast. The quest we did was broken up into two encounters. I didn't time it but I'd guess both encounters total ran us maybe an hour and a half, and it was our first time playing the game.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Fortress America is a pretty old-school Ameritrash style dice-heavy wargame. Take that as you will - I used to think I liked it, but that was because I had it as a kid. I played it again a few years ago and it seemed pretty "meh".

I really like the theme. The gameplay is OK, but a little programmed as far as how the sides play. Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ikusa is the best of the Milton Bradley Gamemaster series.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Welp, time to sell my copy.

How would this situation come up? In the few times I've played the revised Descent, I've never seen it.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Crackbone posted:

People are throwing bitchfits about LoS because while it's absolutely clear, it leads to what feels like unintuitive results.

Doesn't seem very unintuitive to me. The zombie has a ton of cover between him and the ranger lady. I think the idea that she could stretch her head and bow around to aim and shoot between a tiny gap in the two rocks is more gamist than the idea that she couldn't.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Countblanc posted:

It seems weird to design a contest for people who already own the items you're giving away as a prize.

I got all the answers right because I've played friends' copies of the games. I don't own them myself because I already have access to them through said friends, but I wouldn't mind owning them either.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Trynant posted:

Splotter games

I thought Roads & Boats was pretty good the few times I played it. The rule set isn't super complex but the engine building aspect of it is heavy enough.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

Is it local only, or can you play online?

Local only. Playing online would be pretty pointless unless you had chat or Skype going on another device while you were playing it. There are a lot of achievements to unlock in Game Center though.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Jeremys Iron posted:

I don't know what BGG is but I'd be interested to hear more about this - especially if it means I should be feeling bad for giving them a bunch of Kickstarter money for Get Bit.

One thing they were doing was selling Crokinole boards with serious quality control problems, and then when they got returns from dissatisfied customers they turned around and resold the bad boards as new to other customers.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/629733/mayday-games-crokinole-its-not-crokinole-its-cro

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Reviewing games by saying they are fun is like reviewing food by saying it makes you less hungry.

Actually, I think it's more like reviewing food by saying that it tastes good.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I bought a copy of the old Dungeon! for nostalgia purposes, and I can't stand it nowadays. It is a children's game only slightly more tolerable than Candyland, IMO. You should skip Doom and get in on this sweet $35 Descent 2 deal people have been talking about if you want a good game that's akin to HeroQuest.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

systran posted:

Not sure if this is just because I have amazon prime, but Galaxy Trucker is showing for me as $41:

I don't have Prime and I see it too. Is this the same deal as when the price was around $40 before or is it a new price drop?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Carados posted:

Awful question, but the expansions of BSG are spoilers up until where? I know that the main box really only goes through the first season with a small little image from Resurrection Ship, Part 1. At what point is it safe to look at the expansions?

The first expansion actually spoils the first half of season 3 as well as season 2.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

One other note: I was moderately amused at how the female characters were *not* wearing chainmail bikinis, that was novel. Certainly something you don't see every day.

Except for the dwarf lady, they still all have impossibly perky DD breasts, which is a little disappointing. Why not go non-sexist all the way?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Crackbone posted:

I doubt it would work in many other places. The financials of running a coffee shop are horrible, and I can't see board games as being a big enough draw to make much of a dent.

Anyone here know how that new restaurant/FLGS is doing in Madison?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

echoMateria posted:

What are the opinions on Primordial Soup?

It's tedious and takes way too long to play. I liked the theme and really wanted to like the game, but after a half dozen plays I was thoroughly sick of it.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Croccers posted:

So what are some decent racing and/or car themed games, can include combat.
I already have Formula D and RoboRally but we want some other things. Road Kill Rally looks ok enough, light and all that at least.
Pitchcar is just so drat expensive to get a hold of in Australia last time I checked. Might be cheaper to build that myself, ha.

Don't get Road Kill Rally; it's absolute garbage. The presentation is lame and mediocre, and mechanically it is a dog and not light enough at all. Get Rallyman instead.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I was pretty burned out on Euros the first time I played Village, but I found myself enjoying it even though I was predisposed not to. I don't think it's notably dull compared to other Euros.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

Where the hell did you find Ambuscade and Unity?

You can buy all the Sentinels mini-expansions directly from Greater Than Games's website.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

Edit: Hah, $10 shipping on $10 in stuff? gently caress THAT. I could pay the Amazon gouge prices, pay similar money, and get them in 2 days.

That's weird. I just bought forty dollars worth of stuff off the site and paid the same ten bucks for shipping. Anyway, you could buy them off the BGG marketplace for less shipping. I actually wound up doing that with Unity before I went to the GTG site and it cost me maybe nine bucks total.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

Ambuscade on marketplace: $25.

Unity on marketplace: $3.95+$9.50 shipping.

Sorry, guess the place I bought from only had one copy of Unity. I obviously didn't go with the guy that was charging ten bucks shipping upfront for an envelope's worth of cards.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

S.J. posted:

Objectively terrible art :allears:

It looks to me like a crude rip-off of Michael Avon Oeming's work on Powers. I don't mind it too much in the game, but it doesn't even approach being professional level comic book art.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

The setting is done better by other games and ruined by the awful ingame presentation.

Really? What other superhero games would you recommend instead? I'm not impressed with the presentation of the DC and Marvel deckbuilders either.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

tonedef131 posted:

I know this thread is about cardboard, but nearly every con that game has is fixed by the online version.

Yeah, plus the boardgaming-online implementation has expansion leaders and wonders that do a lot to freshen the game up.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

I've got Trajan and Castles of Burgundy. I like them both. What's the next Stefan Feld game I should get?

In the Year of the Dragon is good.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Debawv posted:

I just purchased Heroquest on eBay and I can't express my excitement to own this game again. I had it and every expansion in high school only to be lost to some schmuck I loaned it too. I am especially excited to play this again considering I had Descent Second edition and that game was soooo terrible. I am giddy. Anyone have or remember this gem?

I had it when I was a kid, and for nostalgia's sake, my group played a couple of quests from it last year. Compared to Descent 2, it's pretty bad. Rolling for movement sucks, so does having a fixed turn order for the heroes. Prepare for disappointment?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I really enjoy the iOS Yggdrasil and I played the heck out of it for a while. Unfortunately, the developer abandoned it and there is never going to be an update for it, which is a shame since there are some bugs that need to get fixed (plus an incredibly obvious misspelling that you see every time you lose a game).

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I was hoping more for a game like pandemic with an increased difficulty level. Maybe something where the idea is to survive, not kill a million zombies.

gently caress it, maybe I will make it myself. Probably not I am to busy and wouldn't know where to start.

I guess there's a game called Dead Panic coming out soon. A coop sort of like Castle Panic, where the goal is to survive a wave of attackers moving toward the center of the board. Maybe that would be up your alley?

There was a print and play called Dead of Night that came out a few years ago. It's sort of a Night of the Living Dead simulator, where the goal is escaping the board or holing up somewhere until the end of the game. IIRC, it's more of a survival game than a mook killing game. I didn't like it very much when I played it, but it's free to try if you're interested.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Question about Vlaada's Prophecy, namely, is it fun? I have Space Alert and Mage Knight and I have his other currently-available games on the list, but the BGG description makes it sound a little less bizarro than what I'm used to from him. I don't remember much chatter about it in this thread (maybe because its age, I dunno), but I also burned through about 1000 posts in the past two days, so I might have missed something in there.

I personally enjoyed it the few times I played it, but it might disappoint you in comparison to Space Alert/Mage Knight. It's basically a less lovely version of Talisman, so if that appeals to you, go for it.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

sicarius posted:

So what is everyone's opinion of Bora Bora? I want to get it for myself and the girlfriend to play (along with Tash Kalar), but it'd be nice if it was good with 4 as well.

I know that's hard to nail down in a lot of games - plays well with 2 and 4 - but I'd just like some opinions on Bora Bora, specifically

As far as Stefan Feld games go, I liked it better than Macao, but not nearly as much as Castles of Burgundy or In the Year of the Dragon. I don't think there's any problem with it as a 4 player game.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

I've either never played or at best disliked every single option for best overall game. I'm trying to decide if this means I should seek out Mage Knight and Eclipse or actively avoid them.

I've played and liked every single option for best overall game, but I wouldn't qualify any of them as the best board game of all time. I wish the poll had been phrased as favorites instead of bests. As it was, I didn't send in a ballot for the qualifiers either because of that phrasing.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Gilg posted:

Tomorrow, I'm going to be visiting another friend to play more board games, but the host seems to be insistent on playing 6-player Dominion. I've never played it with 6 players, but I've heard here and other places that it becomes very boring with that many players. Is there anything to help mitigate that?

Convince him to play 7 Wonders instead? Is this something he wants to try because he thinks it'll be cool (it won't be), or something he's done before?

With six players, besides reminding people to get their turns planned out during all the downtime, I'd consider having some sort of active player token to pass around so people can keep track of whose turn it is.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Tippis posted:

I don't know if it was just the group I was playing with (and the inexperience with game) but when I tested it, it seemed like it was less a case of “does not mitigate QBing” are more “demands QBing” to ensure you don't commit suicide in your first move.

This was very much my experience with it too. I don't own the game, but I've played a few of the scenarios and I don't see much replay value in it once the novelty wears off.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

For real though, if you enjoy Arkham Horror you should buy Eldritch Horror(which has a 8.14 on bgg what), which is the same thing but marginally better! Or play pen and paper Call of Cthulhu, which is less rule-intensive and arbitrary while taking about as long to play. Ghost Stories has a similar cooperative horror vibe, I'd really recommended that as well.

I don't think Ghost Stories would necessarily appeal to people who like Arkham Horror or Betrayal. It has a lot heavier of an emphasis on crisis management and lacks the RPG-lite element that those other games have. I'd say it has a much more similar vibe to Pandemic than anything else.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

A friend of mine has bought Zombiecide and wants me to organise to play it because his girlfriend "doesn't like zombies". Any tips for how many people it plays best with, how long we should expect the first play to take, and rules to be aware of or traps to avoid?

You should run six characters regardless of how many people you have playing. The length of play depends on the scenario; if you do the intro and the first scenario together I'd expect it to run two hours plus. The one thing that I've seen people forget about a lot when I've played has been the manhole covers on the zombie reinforcement cards. It's easy to miss noticing the symbol when those cards come up.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Worker placement games are hard to recommend with fewer than 4 players since a lot of the tension is seeing your options dry up over time. But if you want one, I would probably suggest Caylus, since I know that plays well with 2-3. Agricola might also be an option, but I haven't played with less than 4.

I would maybe go with Stone Age instead as a more intermediate step toward playing worker placement games. It's a lot less fiddly for new players than Caylus or Agricola.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Santiago?

Santiago the game where you need to irrigate your fields? It's a decent auction game. My group breaks it out from time to time when we have five people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yeah, that's the one. It's supposed to be cutthroat, and I'm wondering if it's too mean.

Too mean for a child maybe, but I don't think it's too much for a conflict-averse SO to handle. I think the thing that would feel the most like a take-that mechanic would be the canal overseer getting to veto canal placements, but each player starts with a canal piece that they can spend if they really need to irrigate their fields that turn. Otherwise, it's a tile placement game with auctions, so people can outbid you for tiles you want or place tiles in ways that hinder you, but I don't think it's any worse in that respect than something like Carcassonne.

• Locked thread