Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Unfit For Space posted:

Nice OP, but maybe you should suggest a simpler Ameritrash game to start out with than BSG. It not only has way more rules than Carc or Dominion, but also runs about six times longer than a round of either of those two, probably even more if a group is getting together to learn it for the first time.

I would agree with this. Break it into The Resistance and Forbidden Island. Both of those are nice simple examples of the Traitor mechanic and Cooperative play. BSG is a fine game, but for someone just starting out, it's a long LONG game and very heavy rules wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

silvergoose posted:

That's the old one, paybackjack probably should have closed it. This thread is just the new iteration, started today.

I don't think you can close your own threads anymore, which is why I PM'ed Winson_Paine to do it, which is why he's here asking about it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

silvergoose posted:

...really? That's news to me! I wasn't meaning to impugn your record, your last post was pretty clearly "this should be the final post in the thread peoples".

Also, King Chicken, that's a great NT description, love it.

Actually now that I check on the it, I guess I can open/close it at the top of the page. I remember there was, what seemed like a long period where only Mods could close a thread because there was a string of people closing threads for no good reason. I've been here a while so it's possible it hasn't been that way for years.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

If you want to recommend a great worker placement Euro game, Hansa Teutonica is your best option. It's really simple. It gets people used to the idea of action blocking without completely ruining their strategy at a key point, thus it's more friendly for beginners. It has very typical Euro style scoring in that you don't always want to be first to score X because then others can score more after that.

Also it has wooden cubes, glorious glorious wooden cubes.

I think thread superstar White Howler agrees with this, I seem to recall he loved this game as well. You should link his "Meepletown" blog in the main op.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn: SUMMONER WARS APP IS OUT :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

I'm 2-0 already :smuggo:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I thought the problem with A Few Acres of Snow was that the British could get money a lot faster and quicker than the French and quickly build up and overwhelm them before they can get moving since the French get their money through trading furs. Is there actually an imbalance with the map too? I've played both sides and won as both, but I wasn't playing against someone super serious or hardcore. I liked the game and didn't perceive any imbalances except the money thing which we agreed would probably be fixed by just lowering the 3s down to 2s. Where's the map imbalance?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Card Drafting in Agricola is 100% necessary if you play with the Minor Improvements and Occupations. Otherwise there's just so much luck in getting a good combo that it throws off the game. Drafting mitigates that to a large extent by allowing players more of a chance to be able to get those combos. It doesn't always work out evenly, but it's still a ton better than blinds drawing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Posted a Summoner Wars thread.

Come on over and have a chat about this great game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

So Kingdom Builder won Spiel des Jahres which should tell you what a poor year it was for board gaming and how worthless that award is.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

We all played Kingdom Builder and it was a complete *yawn*fest. Nobody thought it was very interesting, even the guy who loves math was like "Wow, there's not a lot here." I guess you can give it points for being simple and having a decent amount of depth but it is like the absolute definition of a boring euro denial game. The name is completely arbitrary as there is no feeling of building a kingdom and the game looks pretty but it might as well be an abstract game. There's not a huge amount luck in the cards but certainly enough to make a difference. Overall the game just was nothing special, and it certainly doesn't deserve to win any GoTY awards.

They should have just admitted that the Americans made a better game in "King of Tokyo" and left it at that.

Trynant posted:

Is it me or does Eclipse have a lot of 'multiplayer solitaire' going on? Aside from the infrequent space fights and the extremely lackluster alliance mechanic, none of the systems in Eclipse involve direct player interaction. Hell, the only other player interaction, direct or indirect, is where you place your exploration hexes, and even then you have to work to do some interaction.

Yes, being able to attack other players is a big deal, but Eclipse feels like you have to really work to compete rather than competition (or even cooperation) being an incentivised activity. I seriously think that most eurogames people complain for being multiplayer solitaire feel more interactive than Eclipse does.

Despite this one glaring blemish, I found the game to still be rather sleek design otherwise. I just wish it was designed to involve more player interaction :(

No, you're totally correct. This is my biggest issue with Eclipse. The amount of resources and actions you have to use to interact with someone is staggering. Made even worse by the fact that the defender has a huge advantage.

No..no..bad PaybackJack, I will not argue about Eclipse on the internet. Just leave it alone...

Got a chance to play Castle Ravenloft tonight and boy was that awful. We were never threatened, never used a healing surge, tore through every monster we came across and beat the scenario in under an hour. Nobody at the table was even remotely engaged in the game, from the hardcore DnDers to the DnD newbies. If it had gone longer than an hour there would have been a collective sigh of relief it was over.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 10, 2012

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

So for my friend's birthday last month I re-skinned Through the Ages to make it 'Through the Ages: Steampunk Edition'. Through the Ages is a fantastic game with a single, glaring, flaw. It's butt ugly. You can certainly argue that my cards are not as 'clean' and perhaps far more cluttered and wordy, but I don't feel that's an issue and designed it how I felt it would be easiest to understand.

As you can see I redesigned all the cards and resized them to the standard Euro size rather than the mini size. I also eliminated the main board and player boards. Turning the culture points into tokens, while military and science are kept track of using dials. I got rid of the iconography for the most part because I thought it was easier to see/understand in actual text. I also couldn't come up with a way in which the iconography stood out enough but didn't distract from the art. Much like the Space:The Convergence project from last November, everything is ripped from deviantart or in some instances from the S.H.I.E.L.D. comic book series.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lorini posted:

Payback Jack, I just have to respectfully disagree that it's a Euro denial game. I don't know how you guys were playing it, but I've never tried to play it as a denial game because you can't really deny people much without hurting yourself.

From a gamer point of view it offers great tactical play, as well as at least having to start with some kind of plan. It's interesting because your choice is limited to one terrain at a time, and you need to maximize what you can do with that one terrain. Perhaps if you looked at it more like a puzzle and how can I get the most out of what little I have you might appreciate it more.

It's certainly my game of the year (yes even over the vaunted Mage Knight and the even more hyped Eclipse) because it does what it's trying to do well. And I have played nearly every Euro that has come out in the last 10 years.

I certainly understand if people don't like it. I'm a little sad when people don't get it and then dislike it but there are plenty of games out there. I just personally feel it was the correct choice for a game they want to have featured at the Target/Walmarts of the world.

It seemed pretty simple, make moves that give yourself the most points while denying other players points. Yes, there is some strategy in which locations you take but it all seemed fairly obvious given the goals that were drawn. The denial aspect seemed to be filtering around someone so at some point if they drew a certain card they would be forced to make a move where they would only get a cube put down. Obviously you want to do that in a way that still provides the greatest advantage for you in the scoring round.

I think you're right that Kingdom Builder does what it does very well, and is a solidly designed game. I just don't see it as being as engaging as Dominion or Dixit to be a great family game, and not as interesting as either of those games; certainly not Game of the Year level.

@ The General, what's your email address? I could email you all the files. PM me or write it here.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 10, 2012

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I meant in a given area they would only get a single cube put down so like if you were trying to expand this area in a forest then I could surround your cubes so you'd be forced to go to a forest in a different area. Seemed like for scoring purposes you might want to block someone from specific hexes that they could expand off of.

Exactly, you need a specific hex on a horizontal line, so I block it, denying you access to it, but maybe I leave the hex next to it open so you'll have to put a cube on that one.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 10, 2012

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I would consider playing the iOS Le Havre again now that they patched it. I hadn't played in a while and it was loving annoying not being able to see how much food/enery/money stuff was worth without having to dig into the rulebook. Now apparently you can double tap the resource to enlarge it.

However, the one thing that still gets me, and Caylus does this too is that with a board that is basically fixed points, I wish they would actually take advantage of this and change the look of it. The thought process seems to be let's just copy the look of the board game picture by picture, and I'm feel like they could really change the actual design of the board game around to make it fit the iOS rather than just go "Here's the game as you know it."

I'd bet I'm probably in the minority as far as that goes, people tend to hate cosmetic changes to their games.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Can you use charcoal as wood? Or is that only Brick that can be used as it's basic side?

xopods posted:

It's not that hard, man. Fish = 1, Smoked Fish or Bread = 2, Meat = 3. Wood = 1, Charcoal or Coal = 3, Coke = 10. That's all there is to remember, because nothing is worth money directly. And they're even arranged into rows where the stuff becomes more valuable as you go down, so really you just have to remember 1/2/3 for Food and 1/3/10 for Energy.

You're right in the sense that it's not that hard to remember but seriously you should be able to tap on a good to enlarge it, given that in real life you can clearly see it right on the tile. It was particularly frustrating given that they replicated the tile but the text was so tiny you can't make it out so why bother leaving it there at all.

They also changed it so you can click on the food cost cards to see the stuff that's coming in later rounds which was something I found myself hunting down in the rulebook as well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

I don't get it. The Heilphones thing.

I'm guessing it's a reference to Nazi Germany, equating people who like and support Apple with Germans who supported Hitler. "Heil Hitler" "Heil-phones".

I'm an HTC Android phone user, I also use an iPad. This whole Android/Apple poo poo is just as dumb as Playstation versus Ninetendo, or Console versus PC.

It's loving dumb, it's really loving dumb.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

he1ixx posted:

Summoner Wars was fun last night. What a strange and yet well-done game..

Hello friend, come right this way to the Summoner Wars thread.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

Except they can, but they have to outbid you? It's a bidding game.

But you're bidding on a role. So it's a role selection game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Acinonyx posted:

So is anyone else playing Dungeon Command? I went to a demo and had enough fun that I bought both starters. 6 plays in, it's still really fun. I was skeptical of having no dice, but attacking works pretty much like Summoner Wars except you don't roll 1's and 2's. There are lots of interrupts and ways to get cover, along with enough varied terrain that it feels pretty tactical so far. A DnD friend bought a set just for the minis, so now I have extra cards and map pieces to play with. I'm going to try customizing the orders and creature pool.
The one guy I played so far that didn't have fun played the drow and just bum rushed my copper dragon with his frail little elves and got mad when they did nothing except get eaten. I think he missed the point about low hp dudes who need to be sneaky and combo their attacks for good effect. So far it feels like a cross between Heroscape and Summoner Wars to me.

I have a friend who will buy the game just for the miniatures so I'm going to order a copy for myself once the first three groups are out and then hand it off to him if it sucks. I really love these type of games and it seems like this one is going to work much better than some of the other games in the genre that have convoluted rules for lines of sight and interruption which usually steer me away from them.

(and yes I have Earth: Reborn and it's good)

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm itching for a Magic the Gatheringish two-player card game without the collectible part. Besides Summoner Wars, what options do I have? If I do buy the Summoner Wars Master Set, what other decks/factions would you guys recommend buying if I want to get something extra?

War of Honor - The legend of the five rings stand alone multiplayer box.
The upcoming Netrunner remake as previously mentioned.
Building yourself a M:TG cube. The Space:The Convergence stuff is still out there, I can send you a link if you like the look of it and can print it yourself or locally.

I can't really recommend any of the LCGs from Fantasy Flight, for a variety of reasons but mostly balance.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 23, 2012

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PlaneGuy posted:

Frank's Zoo plays up to 8 and is a better climbing game than Dalmuti, I think. It uses animalsthat can defeat eachother instead of numbers and includes a full cycle (mouse defeats elephant... back to the start) We never play the advanced rules, just the basic wilds+mosquito=>elephant rules (you'll know what I mean when you buy it)

Frank's Zoo is pretty good, but they should have gone full on and made something that is small that beats Killer Whales otherwise you actually have a worse distribution than Dalmuti because instead of 1 Trump card there's 4 that if you get lucky with 2 can beat 1.

I have both, I like Frank's Zoo more with younger kids, older kids seem to prefer Dalmuti and adults just play rear end in a top hat and drink while doing so. Our variant on rear end in a top hat is that a pair or triple 3s can beat a deuce which gives threes a bit of leverage.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

Just got my copy of Citadels. I've played twice with the default 8 roles; which swaps are the most interesting?

Definitely switch out the Queen for the Artist because the Queen is worthless in games with more than 4 people, it's just too hard to use, particularly for it's number.

Changing out the Emperor and the King is good because the Emperor requires interaction with other players so it's a little more interesting. Also

I recall the Witch is good because the player still gets money or cards so it isn't as crippling as just being taken out of the game for a turn. Otherwise the rest are all just fun. I think mixing and matching is the best.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

They do run out of print pretty quickly, doubly so if they're "new," but there should be a reprint of some stuff coming in September, notably the Fallen Kingdom and Cloaks army decks. Summoner Wars can become quite a collector's nightmare...

I recommend just ordering directly from the Plaidhat website. They're shipping is pretty good and you also get promo cards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

VoodooXT posted:

So, anyone have opinions for Fighting Formations or Vinhos?

I greatly disliked Vinhos and I went in with at least some expectation of enjoying it despite the idea of a game wherein you make and distribute wine being very boring sounding.

Problem #1 was the length, it runs long. Problem #2 was that it was very mathy determining how much to do here and there, not normally a problem as I like powergrid but man was this slow. Problem #3 it just wasn't very exciting, because it was all numbers it was pretty easy to see who was going to do what where and for how much. The "action grid" didn't help much either. Problem #4 was that the game did more stuff than you did almost. It seemed like each player's turn was generally pretty simple move and do the action but managing the board stuff seemed tedious. I don't mind dry Euros either. I love Hansa Teutonica and Tigris and Euphrates but this game; no thanks. Pay the extra money and buy Dungeon Pets instead. I don't have a great love for that game but it has a similar theme of developing something over time and unloading it when the time is right, future planning with actions, and the theme is loads better and doesn't run as long.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Played Lords of Waterdeep yesterday and it was not a good experience. I played it two player with another guy and he drew 2 mandatory quests and hit me with them at the exact time that slowed me pretty much an entire turn both times, meanwhile the only attack card I got only caused him to lose a white cube. The way the quests came out, he was also able to get a quest early which gave him 2 point per completion of a certain type of quest which was also his lord's quest, and then got 9 of those type of quest. I on the other hand managed to get 7 of my type of quests but that 2 points per. quest, combined with his other quests which were purely high point value quests, gave him a huge point gap at the end of the game. Normally I don't mind a point gap like that, I actually perfer games where that can happen, however the fact that he hosed me twice with mandatory quests with no recourse was just retarded. Our final verdict was that 4 people is probably the sweet spot for the game because then those mandatory quests will prevent a single player from getting too far ahead, and there will be more competition for the quests themselves, as well as the cubes. 5 people is probably a bit too slow given you only would start with 2 actions per player. Oh and it also completely deserves the comparisons to Caylus.

Final Conclusion: Decent game that I wouldn't want to play with less than 4 players but probably would play it again. Though I think I would want to increase the victory points for the buildings. It didn't seem to make a lot of difference, even at the end when someone was building one for 6 points that had accumulated for most of the game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

systran posted:

Is cyclades any good with two players?

I don't think so. The best aspect of the game is the bidding and you need 4-5 for that to really shine and become competitive. I suppose you could probably "do the math" with 2 players a lot easier but that doesn't make it better, or good, in my opinion.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I too have recently acquired the first two sets of Dungeon Command. I like the game quite a bit. It's very simple but has a nice bit of depth. The minis look excellent. I do wish the battle field played a more important role in the game but that's something that you can mess with later I suppose.

I also picked up Infiltration and Sky Traders. Haven't gotten to play those yet, might get to play them tomorrow.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

orphean posted:

From last page, sorry! But Fleet Captains is a great two-player game. I find it be a fun mix of strategy and tactics and the event cards add a pretty thematic random element to things. I like the gimmick of the clickable twisty bases to keep track of damage, much better than keeping track on a player aid with tokens or whatever.

The models themselves are really well done, the random board layout is good, I dunno man, I love this game.

You're not the only one. I love Fleet Captains as well. A lot of people bitch about the components quality but i dont think its a major issue at all. Aside from the tiles only the cards are weak and once sleeved its not a problem. I will also plug my variant on BGG which balances out the missions and forces some interaction for the Federation.

Really looking forward to the Romulans. Hoping we get some more Klingons and Federation ships as well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gort posted:

PS: PaybackJack - do you sleeve the hexes? Those are the most annoying component to me now.

I haven't done anything with the hexes. I really like everything fitting in the box and I haven't gotten rid of the insert yet. I have cut it to allow the sleeved cards to fit, but I'll have to toss the hex part of it once I figure out what to do with those.

What I think I will most likely end up doing is having my local print store just print a giant sheet of black paper that's about double the thickness, maybe triple, of a magic card. You can request an extra set, or replacement set of tiles from Wizkids for like $5.00. So I'll get an extra set of tiles and then put the thick card stock between them and glue together. The card stock will be flimly enough to still allow shuffling but give each one a bit more thickness without going beyond the height of the box. This involves measuring though, so I haven't gotten to it yet.

I thought about lamination but the local print shop I use needs thicker paper to laminate onto because they use super thick laminate. I considered using a normal store lamination machine like you'd use at school but deemed that too thick and didn't want to have to send all those tiles through the machine.

My other thought was to do a giant scan of both sides of all the tiles and then just straight reprint them. However I can never seem to get stuff to scan perfectly evenly and I don't know of a store locally where I can get stuff scanned, scanners don't seem to be so common here(I live in Taiwan), but I haven't looked into the matter too much. This would probably be the best way to go though because then I could have the file for each tile to play around with as well.

My final thought on the subject was to take all the tiles and turn their "information" into a deck of cards. Then just make a giant double sided map with blank empty space hexes. When you move into a tile you draw from the deck to see what's there and the card contains all the information that would have been on the tile. Then have a pile of large tokens for the various planets and nebulae. The problems with this is that 1) it adds a large map that's not modular 2) I'm turning a single component(hexes) into three different components (tokens, cards and a map), and 3)I would also need to have some type of token to mark explored vs. unexplored. A cool idea but not very practical, a lot of work, and not a whole lot of reward.

As you can see I've put quite a bit of thought into what to do with these hexes.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm pretty sure that the game uses the same exact rules that Dungeon Command, maybe Earth:Reborn and a lot of other games use.

1)Draw a line corner to corner that doesn't go through anything(such as a wall).
2)Units block LOS for their square.

Is this essentially the argument? What's the issue? Do people think that units shouldn't block line of sight if you're targeting the corner of a unit's square? Wouldn't that just be another rule to have to remember?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Goddamn, Duel of Ages 2 apparently has MORE symbols than Duel of Ages 1. Also resolution is apparently diceless now. Have some character cards!

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1395450/throwingmuse?size=large
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1395451/throwingmuse?size=large
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1395452/throwingmuse?size=large

The top seems to have the Age and general character icon (?), along with gender. I note that they use W for Women instead of F for Female, which seems sort of weird to me. The right side are the various statistics, although I have no idea what the red/blue signifies. The bottom seems to be what each character can equip. I already know that I do not look forward to explaining the rules at all. At all.

But I'm still going to enjoy playing this game because it hits all the right spots.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'm going to enjoy this so, much.

Played Infiltration tonight along with Sky Traders.

Infiltration seemed pretty solid. Nothing terribly amazing about it but a nice push your luck theme. The item draw was definitely imbalancing though, going to try the draft format next time and see how that goes.

Sky Traders was not very good. Grog maintained a very high price through the entire game so nobody even bothered getting it. There's not a lot of advantage to attacking another player that doesn't have a bounty either, so there was only a few combats against the NPC pirates the whole game. Because everyone was usually buying at the lowest and selling at anything over that, there wasn't a lot of debate during the Trade Council either, basically if you got lucky and rolled your numbers you could ensure that your good got bumped up, otherwise people weren't really trading their dice because often enough nobody had any money to trade until they sold their goods, or there wasn't any agreement on how much the die was actually worth. The other problem we found was that most people were just hoarding one type of good, or rather buying it out completely when they had the option and then because of the "rebounding" rule it was hard to ensure that they wouldn't at least get some profit off it. Game has some good ideas but overall isn't very good, needs more incentives to trade, needs more of what made Merchants and Marauders good. Shame, I was hoping for a lighter M&M with a cool trading mechanic and a steampunk theme.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

djfooboo posted:

Can some goon scan their day/night board of Mage Knight? Seems mine is missing. Google found the day board, but the night board evades me.

Wizkids is really good about replacing stuff in their games. Email them at they'll send you one.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I picked up Omen and Tooth&Nail. T&N has been getting some good reviews from our group and looks like another cool, 2er Summoner Wars style game that's hopefully as balanced.

Subparr posted:

His thread was closed, but I PMed him. Thanks for pointing this out, I appreciate it!

Edit: He sold it. :( The search continues.

Do this: Go onto BGG(BoardGameGeek.com) sign up, and see who has Warhammer Quest for trade, then PM all those people and offer to buy them $100(or whatever the price you're willing to pay is, assuming it's more than $100) worth of stuff from CoolStuffInc.com in trade for the game. Since the shipping is free in the US you can save money on that, and they only have to pay to ship the game to you. For a lot of people I find on BGG, money is not as interesting as a box full of new games that they might not have spent the money on themselves.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

What's on everyone's buy list right now?

I'm waiting for:
Clash of Cultures
Mice and Mystics
Merchant of Venus

My copy of Netrunner waiting on all these to start shipping next month.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

VoodooXT posted:

Are you including preorders? Because that list is LOOOOOOOONG.

All those are preorders so...yeah.

I am curios what else is on your list but anything kickstarter related can be omitted.

Or if you're the type of person who just orders everything new all the time, yeah cut that list down to top 5 or something that actually interest you.

Honestly i was mostly interested to hear what people thought of Clash of Cultures. It looks pretty good.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm mostly into older stuff, so tell me what makes you so excited about Clash of Cultures? I don't know anything about it.

Clash of Cultures is a Civilization building game that's designed by the same guy who did Merchants and Marauders, which is the best pirate game ever(think Sid Meier's Pirates! the board game). It's published by Z-Man games and has some really nice components.

Player Board/Tech Tree

Back of the box which shows off the nice pieces and the setup.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Campbell posted:

Merchants and Marauders does have some cons though, mostly that it's a 4-6 hour play from what I've read.

You can definitely get it down in time if everyone knows how to play and plays quickly. We did a 3er game a month ago and it was over in an hour and 40 minutes because we all knew what we were doing and played quickly.

It's a easy game to get dragged down in when people are playing casually and having to look at the board everytime it's their turn to see what's going on. If you're group is focused it can easily be under 3 hours with 4 players.

If you haven't played it, definitely check it out. Don't try to introduce it to players with AP, or Chatterboxes.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

ant Species the card game.:eng101:

Dominant Species The Card Game was quite good. I find the board game a bit to fiddly and long. Hard to say how well it would scale though, you might see a bit too much of the luck of the draw with just two people.

Other Suggestions:

Race for the Galaxy
Eminent Domain
Core Worlds
For Sale

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 13, 2012

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Awesome!

Here's the full press release.

Got me thinking about expansions and oh what's this: ROMULANS!

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 14, 2012

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I notice Mage Knight is 1-5 players... is it worth picking up for solitaire situations?

I don't play board games solitare, but the only one I ever tried doing was Mage Knight. I have a friend who does solitare games all the time and he loves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Not to mention that you should take the whole rating system with a grain of salt, I haven't looked recently but is the My Little Pony Game still at the top of the Wargame rankings? Yeah, Eclipse is another good example. That game was in the top 20 before it even came out because of the hype machine.

• Locked thread