Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Unfit For Space posted:

I had the chance to play the new edition of Descent yesterday. I thought it was really good, a much better experience than the D&D co-op games. They stripped out a lot of the rules that were annoying in the old edition, like readying actions and the DM spawning monsters any place that the PCs don't have line of sight. The components are improved too; the new map tiles in particular have really pretty art. Campaign mode looks like it's going to be fun to do.

Oh crap, is that out? I don't see it on Amazon.

My main complaints with Descent were:

1. Obscene set-up time
2. No way to protect more vulnerable party members so the DM just wailed on them constantly
3. Campaign mode worked by giving the side that was winning more stuff, so it was a death spiral

Are those fixed? I'd love to play a good Warhammer Quest type game again.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How did they go about fixing them?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

moths posted:

I was the only guy to preorder so I got every promo figure! It looks pretty slick so far, but I won't get to play until next week at the earliest. The coffin box is gone, and I've heard the wrinkles were ironed out, so I'm really looking forward to this.

I don't think so, the upgrade kit turns all the 1e stuff into 2e's first expansion, so you can still use all the toys. I was mad about this for two days, and then I realized that I was actually pretty cool with the idea.

Boardgamegeek seems to be awash with people bemoaning the fact that the line of sight rules changed. Any thoughts on those? I've played a bunch of first ed and don't really remember doing much with line of sight at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

That sounds like something that's easily houseruled, though. As long as everyone's using the same rules for LOS it shouldn't be a problem.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Tekopo posted:

currently I have Android, Panic Station and EVE Conquests.

Poor fella.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

nelson posted:

If you discard the card, you no longer have the card. Therefore the "only action" part no longer applies and you can use the 2nd action for whatever you want.

Wow, that's a really poorly-written card. Perhaps, "You must spend your first action this turn discarding this card" would have been better?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, the only weak thing about Fleet Captains is that the components feel really cheap. The cards are like one micron thick (which is particularly annoying given you use hex cards to assemble the board) and a fair few of the ships wouldn't "clix" out of the box - I had to open them up and get busy with a Stanley knife and sandpaper before they would work properly.

Still, if you can get past that, it's a fun game - the balance is probably pretty questionable in the sense that you can get really easy missions that let you walk home to victory very quickly (EG: Science missions as the Federation if you have a lot of small ships - Federation small ships are excellent at science), or you can keep drawing monstrously difficult ones that aren't worth the effort. (EG: Control a line of hexes that goes all the way to the Klingon side of the board)

That said, if you can keep yourself from taking the game too seriously, it's a Trek nerd's dream.

PS: PaybackJack - do you sleeve the hexes? Those are the most annoying component to me now.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I don't get why people are hating so much on Descent 2 based on a single rule that really only seems to be a problem in corner cases. Can't you just houserule it if it bugs you that much?

I can't see it being a problem as long as everyone is clear on what the rule IS.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If someone wants to sell me Descent 2 at a discounted rate as a result of the TERRIBLE LOS RULES please drop me a PM.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Descent 2 OL is way weaker than the first edition's. You can play cutthroat without worrying.

That's a relief. I always think the "one-versus-many" games should be balanced slightly in the favour of the "many" - that way most people still get to win, but it's still close.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

VoodooXT posted:

So it looks like someone's went ahead and created Blood Bowl 40K.

Someone remake Warhammer Quest oh please oh please

Turambar posted:

I'm sure they would love King of Tokyo. Throwing dice, big monsters, lots of fun!

Not to say that 8 years olds wouldn't like it, but I have problems with King of Tokyo - it seems like the rules don't support the theme very well - I often see players who often go on to win staying out of Tokyo, re-rolling any damage that comes up, and still doing very well just based on the victory points and energy they roll on the dice themselves.

Seems contrary to the theme of "monsters fighting over a city".

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 2, 2012

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

InShaneee posted:

but do make sure that you're only spawning 1 monster per gate if you've got less than 5 investigators.

Oh poo poo, I missed that rule. Arkham! :argh:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

bobvonunheil posted:

TLDR don't play direct conflict games with people who can't recognise when to crush someone else's long-term strategy.

There are good games to break people of the habit of leaving other players alone. Small World is a good one - you basically cannot play that without attacking someone.

Unfortunately, I seem to have gotten the label of being "good at games" in my group, so all else being equal people will attack me first :)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

In terms of getting dice hosed, the first {and last} time I ever played risk, was my friend versus myself sitting on the border of america with the entirety of our forces brought to bare. His 400 or so dudes (Literally had to use that golden 100 unit dude, and another army to fit) versus my hundred or so dudes, and spending a good 30 minutes rolling enough dice to determine who would win, I lost but still reduced him to 100 dudes so wasn't a terrible victory. When you are that loving tired of risk at midnight, why the gently caress you would stop ya know.

...did you guys have a six-hour "no rush" rule going on or something?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I had an idea for an RPG where your character was represented by a deck of cards. You'd build your dude by selecting various powers for him, then they'd all go in the deck. When you got hit, you'd discard some cards. When you hit zero, you were knocked out.

Anything like that on the market? It's basically the mechanic from the Fantasy Flight Lord of the Rings game, but there'd be more customisation of your character/deck.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

St0rmD posted:

I love Starcraft, but it's rare to get a game going for me. Either it's too long and complicated or too FFG for the people I'm playing with, and it's been over a year since I've gotten it to the table :(

Yeah, I've a copy that never gets any playtime either.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I desperately wanted Descent 2e for my birthday and instead got buried in Arkham Horror expansions.

Which are good.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I also had a problem in Mansions of Madness - in one particular quest I was a traitor, but I had the macguffin that would win the investigators the game. I ended up just running to the furthest corner of the house, which was a really unsatisfying end to the game.

I seem to recall that even if they'd reached me and killed me, they would have lost since I was still an investigator and there was a "lose if any investigator is killed" clause going on.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

User 159355 posted:

If I recall correctly, that particular scenario (I believe it's the last), where there's the possibility of a traitor, states that killing the traitor does not cause the other investigators to lose. (I do believe their identity is secret, however, so attacking another investigator is still risky.)

You might well be right. I think there might've been another reason why they couldn't just kill me off, but I don't really remember.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Carados posted:

I'm visiting a friend who bought Star Trek: Fleet Captains, painstakingly painted it, and never played it. He wants to play it with teams, so I grabbed a few friends who want to play.

What should I know about the game, in general, to make it so three people with no board game experience (and I, who hasn't played it) enjoy it? We only really get one shot at it.

Basically, to win the game you have to complete missions. The missions range from "bullshit, I'm never going to do this" to "I just have to go there and do this?", so make sure you drop the crappy ones and hope to draw the good ones.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

wafflesnsegways posted:

We got about ten minutes into this game before my wife silently left the room and slammed the door. It's the only thing, game or other, that's ever made her do something like that.

Adversarial games can be tough on a marriage.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

dvorak posted:

Man, I totally forgot about Talisman. When you whip that thing out and put on all the expansion boards that game turns into some kind of gigantic CYOA board game with 10,000 cards.

It's actually pretty quick to teach too but you basically need a ping-pong table to lay it out.

Game is such rear end though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I have Memoir 44 and it's fun and fast. I also like how it has unbalanced scenarios - the idea being that you switch sides after each game and play the same scenario again, and try and beat the other player's score.

I'd probably compare it to something like Small World where it's definitely a strategy game, but it's fun, fast and simple enough for a first time player to grasp it quickly, and light enough to not get too sour over getting pasted.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

4outof5 posted:

My copy of Liberia: Descent Into Hell came in and I'm kind of excited to get it to the table/disgusted with myself for wanting to. It's like the wargame equivalent of cards against humanity. Canibalism, transvestites, Pat Robertson(yes really), the Moonies, child soldiers (who are better units than adult soldiers), voodoo, Saddam Hussein, Gaddafi, and more war crimes than ww2 all in a box about the size of a dvd case(AND HISTORICAL). I don't even know if my war gaming partner will play it with me.

I believe the child soldiers being better units than adults is a typo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

For what it's worth, having played only three encounters (intro, both halves of A Fat Goblin) I really like Descent 2nd ed. They fixed a lot of my problems with the first game:

1. Enormous setup time. I timed myself when setting up the intro for the second time. It took me seven minutes. Games like Mansions of Madness and Descent 1e took an hour.

2. Enormous game board coupled with millions of bits means it takes up way too much table space. The game board got smaller, though there are still a fair number of bits.

3. Focus on killing the player characters meant the Overlord simply picked the most worthwhile player to kill and dumped everything on them constantly. I really missed some kind of D&D "marking" mechanic where tough characters could protect weaker ones. This problem is gone since player characters are functionally immortal, though the overlord does get rewarded for taking them out.

So far I'm really liking the game. For those who think the Overlord doesn't get good cards as he levels, check out the "Reinforce" card. Resurrect an entire group of monsters. (The last encounter I played had 3 groups of monsters, so we're talking about bringing a full third of the dungeon back to life) That's a game-changer.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How does Mice and Mystics compare to Descent 2nd ed

My shift key has literally stopped working

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Crackbone posted:

You mean open monster group? That means the Overlord gets to pick his own monster in addition to whatever the quest specifies. BUT, I believe every quest limits what types of monsters you can pick via the symbols on the back of the cards (there's a legend on the back of the rule or quest book).

Yeah, so one encounter might be "mountains", where you can only choose "mountain" creatures for your open monster group.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Buckwheat Sings posted:

What's the opinion on Kingdom Death Kickstarter? It basically just looks like a miniature funfest surrounding what looks to be an extremely basic game of move, attack, then make items/heal. Am I missing something or is that pretty much it?

Are people really only getting excited for the minis? Maybe it's more or less a storytelling style of AD&D?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster

edit:crap didn't see it mentioned few pages ago.

Hey look, another game that makes me ashamed of this hobby.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I got the Spartacus board game as a Christmas present. Anyone had experiences with it?

It appears to come in two parts - in the first half you play cards against your opponents and to buff your "house" up, and you buy slaves/gladiators/gear for gladiators, and in the second half you have a fight in the pits, which is fairly simple and pretty swingy.

Seems quite fun so far if you want a lighter version of a "screw over your friends in a period setting" kind of thing like Game of Thrones, but the box art and the art throughout the rulebook is pretty embarrassing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ankh-Morpork is great, but I still feel that the Vimes character is overpowered. Since his only goal is for nobody to win, everyone is willing to help him out by preventing others winning.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I got The King In Yellow expansion for Arkham for Christmas. How is it? And how is it best played? The box came with three seperate setups for it - one where you seem to stack all the new stuff on the top of the deck, one where you just shuffle it all in, and one where Hastur is a "herald" for the Ancient One of the game.

Which is best?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

Do you guys do this a lot?

I get the piss taken out of me sometimes, because I want to read rules before I play a game, and I just don't get this attitude. There is seriously one person in our group who would rather we play a game NONE of us have read the rulebook of, rather than taking 10 minutes to know what the gently caress is going on. She seems to think we can read the back of the box and start playing immediately.

I'm at the point where I'll always look up a video on youtube of any new game I get. Makes grasping the basics so much easier.

The event that made this policy was scrutinising the rulebook for Spartacus for what must have been about half an hour, trying to work out if all cards you start with are face up, or just the ones the rulebook specifies as being face up. The rulebook says something like, "Draw some slaves, gladiators, and guards. Guards are always played face up." Turns out all of those cards are played face up.

First comment I saw on Boardgamegeek: "Best written rulebook ever!" :argh:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The main house rule for Game of Thrones is to make the neutral areas unconquerable except for Kings Landing and the Eyrie. That way Baratheon can't just conquer neutral areas until he wins.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 27, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Got to play a mostly-home-made copy of Warhammer Quest over the weekend. I've a long history of playing fantasy games, from the terrible (Talisman) to the good (Descent) as well as full-on RPGs, so I was interested to see if my rose-tinted memories would stand up.

In short, it still owns. Not having a DM is pretty cool, you get to carve through dungeons, and the game just plays well in general.

I do have some complaints, though all in the "think of some house-rules to make this better" vein than the "it ruined the game" vein.

First off, the tables - everything that happens seems to involve rolling on eight nested tables - I would love an app that did it for me, or a deck of cards to draw from.

I played the wizard, and was a slave to a D6 roll each turn. I'd rolled only spells that cost either 5 or 6 power points, and a whopping 2 "free power" points so effectively only got to cast spells every third turn.

Some classes seemed needlessly complex - the Witch Hunter seemed to have loads of special rules that barely affected gameplay at all, and the Bretonnian Knight's honour mechanic seemed really fiddly.

All that said though, it's still the best dungeon-crawling boardgame out there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Oh, and keep in mind you can use your support orders multiple times per turn AND you can use them to support other players as long as the combat is next to the order.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

black metal hugbox posted:

The Battlestar Galactica boardgame and the Game of Thrones boardgame (licensed from the books :smaug:) both own.

Game of Thrones needs a houserule or two to really shine though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The End posted:

I'm pretty sure that with less than 6 players, the other house areas are made impassable already in the rules.

Nope. Check here, page 28.

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 17, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ashenai posted:

The BSG expansions are both good, but neither of them are critical at all, except if you want to play with an even number of people (in which case the Pegasus expansion is more or less mandatory.) If you play with 5 or 7 people, though, just start with the base game, and hold off on the expansions until and unless you feel you want more.

I really couldn't imagine going back to drawing crisis cards for Cylon attacks after having used the Cylon fleet board. I just love the "Cylons build up and then come to get you in force" flavour so much, and I had plenty of vanilla games where we either didn't get any cylon attack cards at all (which made the pilot characters worthless) or we drowned in the drat things.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

bobvonunheil posted:

Generally I can't really recommend Red November, but it does have a unique time/turn management system which is pretty elegant.

It's also quick, cheap, and supports eight players out of the box, which can make it useful in "large group" circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

Just a heads up, Warhammer Quest for iOS just came out yesterday and its pretty drat awesome!

gently caress, I love that game. Is there any way to emulate iOS?

• Locked thread