Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Played Blood Bowl: Team Manager for the first time and thought it was a really fun quick game after figuring out the rules. Expected more deckbuildiness, but was pleasantly surprised at how it handled adding players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

bobvonunheil posted:

Did you play with the No Salary Cap variant?? (chances are the answer is yes)

Yeah, we played no salary cap, didn't get FAQ beforehand. My strategy was to nickle and dime fans because I didn't realize that the staff upgrades were ridiculous. I only lost by 8 points. considering he had 3 of the broken cards I consider that pretty good.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The Sean posted:

Has anybody played the expansion to Claustrophobia? I have been playing the base game a lot lately (after a hiatus) and I am wondering if it's worth it to expand.

Depends on gaming budget. Have you tried the bonus blog scenarios or fan scenarios? They are free and pretty rad.

I ordered it based on the fact we love the base game so much. The expansion allows you to play all the blog scenarios that CROC posted since some use expansion components.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gimnbo posted:

Didn't some guy make meeples to replace the cubes in Lords of Waterdeep?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/807557/custom-meeples-updated

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 11, 2012

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

I firmly believe three is the optimal number for Lords of Waterdeep.

Yeah, I can get behind that. I'm sure an expansion will add a 6th, but I question if that's necessarily a good thing when it plays better at smaller player count.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

These Loving Eyes posted:

Ha, now I noticed which crucial rule we misinterpreted: it costs only one movement to both explore AND move into the explored tile for the human player. Now I totally get why the demon player has such much power at his disposal because otherwise the humans could just stroll through the tiles. Oh well, I hope my friend didn't get totally burned because of the crushing defeats he faced.

That's better than the rule we misinterpreted as there can only be 3 models on a regular tile our first game :smith: It turned it into an area denial game instead of a dungeon crawl.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Len posted:

That's why I didn't make one but if someone did I would post in it.

I have never been and I would make one just so people can talk. Most people know what the deal is. I'll make if it hasn't been made by the time I get home in a few hours. Keep it in Traditional Games or open to General since there are cool things for everybody?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:siren: 2012 GENCON DISCUSSION THREAD :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497460

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Plunk posted:

I'm designing a game and I'd love to have some feedback.

I'm dumb and sexy, can you send me a prototype? But seriously, I would love to see a thread chronicling your journey.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just went to a game store in a town I passed through. Might as well have been called MTG: The Store :smith:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Stoked to try designing my first game for contest!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gencon Day 2 trip report

Seasons is a blast!
Mage Wars seems to be a blast if I could only get a demo
Libertalia aint bad, too expensive
Hambeasts everywhere
Cheap games = awesome :v:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The X-Wing demo was poor. For one, the default board size is 3x3. The point value is half of a real game, and there are asteroids and stuff to block LOS. I have heard many refer to it like Star Wars version of Wings of War. I personally wouldn't get it because of cost and not being a fanboy. You saw there are already two 30 dollar expansions? Millennium Falcon and Slave 1? I foresee a money pit for adopters.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So it seems FFG announced Blood Bowl: Sudden Death but there are few details and not anything on their website about it.

Tom Vasel Tweet posted:

Blood Bowl Team Manager expansion Sudden Death announced

W. Eric Martin Tweet posted:

coming in Q4 2012 titled Sudden Death w/ three new teams: vampires, undead, dark elves

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

TheLawinator posted:

I have team manager but I don't actually know how to play it. My friends and I couldn't really figure it out. I guess we're dumb?

Pretty much you are contesting cards placed in the center with cards from your hand. It is very rock-paper-scissors. The first thing I do before trying to learn any game is get a Universal Head/Headless Hollow cheat sheet and watch a video review, or better yet video rules explanation. This makes teaching it cold to friends not as daunting.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I'm curious about deck-building games. I really enjoy Eminent Domain and liked Nightfall when I played it. What are your thoughts on games like Ascension, Dominion, and Miskatonic School for Girls? What other deck-building games would you recommend?

Why not try it for free to see if you like it? http://dominion.isotropic.org/play

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

Libertalia I only played once with a single opponent

I played Libertalia and weep for your two player game. You really need 4-5 to have a good time.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lorini posted:

There's a goon here who runs a site too, I'm sure he'll speak up soon.

Not my site, but I go regularly. It's more editorials than news, but it is a great site with derpy meeples for a logo :3:

Meepletown http://meepletown.com/

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Has anyone played or own Leviathans? Looking to get a goon's perspective on it.

I haven't played, but the models looked pretty toylike in my opinion which stopped me from even demoing it at Gencon. The deckboards aren't even modeled :spergin: The D6 Generation did an in-depth podcast about it and go over the pros and cons. The rules seem pretty easy considering it is a flying naval game, which normally means a huge tome of rules.

Here are the quick start rules so you can see how it plays:
http://monstersinthesky.com/downloads/Leviathans%20Lieutenants%20Manual%20for%20Web.pdf

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

If I have to choose between Dominion and 7 Wonders for getting my wife and some friends into more stylistic/in depth and RPG style games, which one should I choose? Dominion seems a more obvious pick but 7 wonders is so damned popular.

If I have to vote for one or the other I would say Dominion, specifically Base+Intrigue to start. 7 Wonders is great, but takes a few times to "get" and thus can scare away newbies.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Speaking of BGG contests: Seems I won one for Sedition wars :smug:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I really wanted the black box to be good :saddowns: I really like the minimalist art style and have heard so much good stuff about the game.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

On an actual boardgame related note, The Manhattan Project Expansion Kickstarter located here is wrapping up soon

Not sure I could play this game based on theme. Go to Hiroshima sometime and you will feel the same.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Karnegal posted:

I liked drakenstrike's stuff way better when he was doing it.

He made a video implying he is coming back! He is easily my favorite serious reviewer. SUaSD gets my fun vote.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Can some goon scan their day/night board of Mage Knight? Seems mine is missing. Google found the day board, but the night board evades me.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The Journey Fraternity posted:

I believe it's the same as the day, but with the desert/forest movement costs switched.

Yeah, but it's nice to have an obvious reminder for stuff like suns being worthless and whatnot

PaybackJack posted:

Wizkids is really good about replacing stuff in their games. Email them at they'll send you one.

I hope so, turns out I am missing the day/night tactic cards too :psyboom: Luckily these are pieces easily homemade if Wizkids doesn't pull through.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sammyz posted:

I got to play with Cody Jones of Game On! and he was a trip and half while playing.

Cody/John are in my local gaming group. It's kinda odd at first playing with internet famous people.

Which brings up this question: Are there any Indy goons here besides me? I have boardparties all the time and you are welcome to come if you don't stink or are socially inept.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sammyz posted:

Where are you at? It might be worth getting a sitter to get out every once and a while.

21st and Girls School Rd, about 25 minutes by Google's calculation (So more like 20)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sammyz posted:

My wife and I are on the northside over by the JCC. We used to game a lot more before our first expansion came out (kid).

Gaming tonight but no way to contact you :/

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Harlock posted:

Is there any good places to buy secondhand games online or should I be looking locally? It seems whenever I find something I want, the prices people ask for + shipping are just about equal to buying the game brand new and getting free shipping, so I don't really see the point.

Good deals come along every so often on BGG, but I find unless it is OOP you might as well get it new. Also don't forget BGG math trades and our very own trade thread on SA for getting new games.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

sicarius posted:

Also - there are always LCGs. I recommend Warhammer Invasion. It's awesome!

Finally got into this after so many recommendations and LOVE it! Already ordered the High/Dark Elves expansion after only 3 games we like it so much (both players being huge Magic players back in the day).

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bought but not played yet:
Ares Project
Chaos in the Old World
Dungeon Lords
Dust Tactics/Warfare
Mermaid Rain
Power Grid: Factory Manager
War of the Ring

Preordered:
Glory to Rome: Black
Sentinels of the Multiverse: Revised

Kickstarted but not here yet:
The Resistance: Avalon
Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Unless you want to be a serious player Warhammer: Invasion is an awesome LCG for two players. One core set and the Assault on Ulthuan gets you 6 decks that are fun as heck. Orks, Chaos, Dark Elves, Empire, Dwarves, and High Elves. We mix all the neutral cards draw 10 each and draft those piles back and forth to round out decks.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

BGG Says posted:

What's more, CGE will also have Galaxy Trucker: 5th Anniversary Edition – a box that contains the core game, both expansions, and other items. The announcement mentions that a "limited number of copies will be available", but before fans get worried over missing out, CGE's Petr Murmak has already promised on BGG that "At first we will have them in Essen, but they will be also available another way."

Awww yeah, guess who is finally getting this game :c00l:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Deviant posted:

Mage Wars is quite good, and pushes all the same buttons in my brain as a Final Fantasy Tactics type game.

I find Mage Wars takes too much time. I think we need to play smaller point games than the 200 or whatever. It just takes for.ev.er to kill the other mage.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, that is the biggest complaint I have too. It will slow every game, I just deal with it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

St0rmD posted:

Outside of a college dorm, this scenario basically doesn't exist.

Lies! I have 4 willing gamers weekly and live in a house in the suburbs.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

bobvonunheil posted:

One of my personal favourites is Pit, which is a classic realtime trading game with potentially lots of yelling. A single round lasts 5-10 minutes and scales great for 3-8 players, but my love for this game is not shared by my current group :(

Are you my roommate David?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wooden piece supremacy!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

tekz posted:

I'm looking for new LCGs/CCGs to get into, can anyone make recommendations?

Summoner Wars is tits and kinda fits your criteria.

• Locked thread