Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just found out about this a week ago, and devoured every episode. I just wanted to echo the love for "A Story About You" and "Sandstorm". I can't wait for more stuff about Desert Bluff (even though they suck)and their whole stretched-too-wide-smile feel.

I also love how John Peters (you know, the farmer?) is always referred to as "John Peters (you know, the farmer?)".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, this episode was an emotional roller coaster. But the ending was so :3:.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Coco13 posted:

You want the Thrilling Adventure Hour. 'Sparks Nevada' (and it's spin-off, 'Cactoid Jim') and the older 'Tales from the Black Lagoon' and 'War of Two Worlds' episodes are heavily plot-dependent, so listen to them in order. 'Beyond Belief', 'Captain Laserbeam', 'Moonshine Holler', 'Jumbo the Elephant' and 'Amelia Earhart' can be listened to in any order.

Should I be starting at the beginning for this, or can I just jump in?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

maxnmona posted:

And......scene

Congratulations!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've actually been wondering what's been going on with people from the early episodes. Like Old Woman Josie and her angels, and John Peters (you know, the farmer?).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Why can't it be both? Sirens need to pay the rent like everyone else.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In other news, the first Night Vale fangame has been created. On the plus side, it's a tabletop RPG instead of a video game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, so many things are being set up this episode I don't know which I'm most worried about.

AstroZamboni posted:

Also, am I alone in thinking "Believe in a smiling god" is just about the creepiest phrase ever?
Nope, because to me it fits in with the too-wide-forced-smile vibe I got from Desert Bluff's broadcast.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love how Cecil's reaction to finding tapes he doesn't remember making is "Finally something weird to talk about!"

I am a little worried about how he just blew off intern Jesus's disappearance/death. I hope he's not taking those interns for granted.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For some reason, the "word from our sponsor" segment in this episode made me want to hear Cecil performing an advertisement for Anti-Life.

"Tired of having to choose? Tired of individuality? They try Anti-Life! Anti-Life: it justifies your hatred!"

And yeah, the weather in this episode was incredible.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I found this on tumblr: the (unofficial) Night Vale Radio Lego set.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I loved Cecil's delivery of "John Peters...you know, the impostor?"

That and the text Cecil almost sent. :3:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also for you game nerds, the Role Playing Public Radio podcast's latest episode is about the Night Vale games' club board game night.

quote:

In this special one shot, we try out a new indie RPG called Itras By, but instead of using its setting, we explore the wonderful little desert town of Night Vale! A group of students at the local Community College are members of the Traditional Games club and tonight happens to be board game night! Unfortunately, some of the game pieces from the club’s accursed copy of Chiromagica are missing, so the players must retrieve them from the abandoned Geology building. What possible horrors could confront them there? Plastic bags, perhaps? An unspeakable presence that lurks out of sight, eternally hungry? The Library of books discarded from other libraries? Difficult test questions? Obscure holy texts? There’s only one way to find out…

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nitewhosaysnee posted:

Dude seriously. I was not expecting that. I'm 8 rows back in the middle. Ramones shirt and curly brown hair, wave to me, goon!

Man, the "Missed Connections" page of Night Vale's Craiglist must be insane.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, is nobody else worried that StrexCorp is showing an interest in Carlos because of the oranges thing?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

This is the second time this has been brought up so I finally looked it up and holy poo poo, this is shameless.

Oh, well, I'm sure they asked for permission before they created this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Who was Intern Maureen again?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'll be honest, I thought the episode was going to end with the news that StrexCorp security forces had arrested a group of five scientists who were loitering outside the house that doesn't exist. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on that plot thread. :ohdear:

Is the live anniversary show going to be done as a normal episode for the anniversary as well, or will it just be done live and broadcast as such?

Also I really need to get around to reading Invisible Cities one of these days.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He said I have a face! I've never seen my face. What do I look like, Hiram? Am I beautiful?

You are beautiful when you do beautiful things. Do you do beautiful things?

I think that I do.

THEN YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! IT IS A SIMPLE CALCULATION, YOU SMALL DEFENSELESS SACK OF BONES AND MEAT!

I love how simply life-affirming Night Vale is. :3:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does that mean he's under onus to the angels?

"I'm...from Night Vale."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

We all live in Night Vale. Even those of us who don't.

Especially the ones who don't.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dammit, I knew the scientists were going to be arrested while Carlos was in the house that doesn't exist.

This was the most disturbing episode by a wide margin. And only the turbonerds will get this, but I wonder if StrexCorp built Friend Computer, because I was getting a real Alpha Complex vibe from some parts of this episode.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

But they'll never be forgotten, because a part of them will always be here in the studio.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy poo poo it's going to be a long wait until the 15th...

Now I want a video of this week's weather that's Kevin and Lauren running from the angels through the hallways of the radio station, because that's all I could picture as I listened to it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I really want to know what the Mission Statement was.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I kinda had a feeling that Steve would do something to help win the day, but that was the best way it could have happened.

I hope that doesn't mean that Kevin's gone for good; I love him and Lauren and I'd love to see them come back once in a while and try to buy back Strex. I mean, Lauren wasn't really "defeated", just chased out of town, and who knows what really happened to Kevin? Maybe he was absorbed by the Smiling God, or maybe Cecil just couldn't see him through the light.

So I guess the "arc" for the next year will be Hiram and TFOWWSLIYH trying to sieze control from Dana?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It just occured to me that it's going to be weird having episodes that are only Cecil and back to the "normal" format after the past...what, two months worth of episodes?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm honestly amazed the DashCon people didn't try to pay you in BitCoins and time in the ball pit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love the fact that they can't even get tumblr on their side. So many people calling bullshit on DashCon's stuff.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Annakie posted:

Also, while waiting for the new episode to drop I was re-listening to the Steve Carslberg & Kevin confrontation from Oak Doors B. I realized what a tragic figure Kevin is. He fought the hardest against The Smiling God taking over Desert Bluffs, he loved Desert Bluffs as much as Cecil loves Night Vale, and now he loves the Smiling God.

Well, Kevin is the voice of his community just like Cecil is. What better way to destroy and take over a society than to control their voice?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The fluffiest, cuddliest plague. :3:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kor posted:

But yeah, Tumblr goes rabid at the thought that Cecil and Carlos might not be a perfect, unbreakable couple.

I have yet to see a fandom that could accept the fact that not all relationships are forever, and might end someday.

Or that the first person the main character falls for is their One True Love.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, Maureen can't catch a break, can she?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

docbeard posted:

I love that Steve literally sees the world as a giant conspiracy wall.

Oh man I didn't even pick up on that. Brilliant.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It kind of makes me wonder if Steve isn't actually from Night Vale, since he doesn't buy into the need for secrecy and non-acknowledgement of wierdness everyone else does.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Solaris Knight posted:

I really liked Steve segment because man does he try his best to be helpful, he's just implied to be autistic/schizophrenic/so normal it's weird.
I don't think it's any of that, he's just weird in a way that doesn't mesh with the rest of the town.

Although it is interesting that only Kevin ever really listened to him...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This episode has what my be my favorite post-Weather sequence ever. :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

I've heard that he's still in the desert for at least one of the unreleased live shows.

I have a feeling he's never going to get out of the desert. He won't let himself leave as long as there's something new for him to try and figure out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh, you have to buy it? It's not just episode 55?

Yeah, it's on Bandcamp but it's pay what you want. (min. price is $1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, Old Woman Josie is a really good bowler!