Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
Speaking of racist jerks, I have seen way too many people talk about wanting to cosplay the Apache Tracker! :catstare: Maybe you guys need to make some official statement making it clear that that would be a terrible idea and you don't want to be associated with that sort of thing? Because apparently you didn't spell it out enough that he was a racist rear end in a top hat.

Also is the autographed shirt for the live show going to be a new design or one of the existing ones?

QueerPope posted:

Well that's certainly a lot of assumptions and a distorted idea of things. Basically, people aren't saying that there's anything wrong with white Cecil, they're just talking about how they're frustrated that a character that could be any race is being portrayed as white because it's another instance of white being seen as "normal" or "default." But it started just as a few people venting on their personal blogs, but then those people got attacked by random people for saying that, and all sorts of "But the real Cecil Baldwin is white!" (but nobody is drawing the real Cecil Baldwin) and "But his voice sounds white!" (I hope I don't have to explain how this is racist) and this came right after there was a big argument over how the popular fanon for Carlos was white for a bit (but then people sorta realized how Carlos probably isn't white and hispanic Carlos became more popular) so there was already people who were upset about these characters being drawn from a "white default." So this resulted in a full out movement in response, like "how dare you attack me for venting about this, and using racist excuses like the idea that poc have to sound a certain way or like the VA's race matters when Kevin's VA is black but everyone draws him white and Kevin and Cecil are identical doppelgangers" and there was people making graphs of the different portrayals of Cecil(there's another graph in the commentary). The people who are mad, see it like this.

And I want to point out that those blogs I linked to are people of color, of various genders. At least as far as I know, some of them didn't have things like "half-asian" or "cherokee" right in their titles or descriptions; or selfies tagged "#me" I could look at to see.

Honestly, even if the popular fanon of Cecil wasn't white, I still don't like how he's basically just being portrayed as Aziraphale from Good Omens with a third eye and (sometimes) arm tattoos. This whole debate has awoken the creativity in a lot of the fanartists and there's a lot more variety of portrayal going on with him now.

Yes thank you for this! It's really a shame how the whole issue turned out. It could have started an interesting discussion and some reflection about race depictions in media and how 'white' ends up being the default, but instead all you got was 10 million posts of ":cry: stop shaming meeee why do you hate white people?? race doesn't matter waaahhh :cry:"

Really, for a show that spends a decent bit of time calling out racism and all, it's disturbing that the fandom is still more likely to imagine the main character as a purple multi-eyed tentacle monster than as, oh I dunno, a black or asian guy or something. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

So are the limited edition shirt designs going to be from the contests?

And oh my gosh the new episode! Cecil starting to see Carlos isn't as perfect as he thought?! :aaa:

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

The live show was amazing and everything I could have dreamed of. :swoon: There were a few scenes I'd been specifically hoping would happen and you did not disappoint. Seeing the actor's expressions and interactions and all the audience reactions really added to it.

And not a real spoiler if you've looked at the cast list but I'm amazed how Kevin the character can be so creepy while Kevin the person is so adorable. It was very conflicting to watch.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

Goddamn, amazing episode.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Which episode specially? Don't remember any thing like that at all.

That was in 'Faceless Old Woman'.

"Or better yet, destroy all of your mirrors. As my mother used to tell me, “Someone’s going to kill you one day, Cecil, and it will involve a mirror. Mark my words, child!” And then she would stare absently through my eyes until I giggled."

I love when stuff from older episodes comes up again, and I love episodes when Cecil starts to freak out because that's when you know things are REALLY hosed up.

I had suspected that Cecil had a habit of avoiding mirrors, so it was interesting to hear that he keeps them covered up... Does that mean Cecil doesn't have a good idea of what he looks like? There's the photo on the desk but there's no guarantee it's accurate. :stare:

Also it sounded like that Leonard guy wasn't exactly human. And what was the deal with the curtain in Cecil's own home hiding another Station Management-like entity? Oh my god this episode :gonk: