Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

AstroZamboni posted:

I think 2 and 3 are spot-on.

Also was young Cecil voiced by Cecil? Because I thought it sounded like maxnmona.

That was Cecil doing a teen voice and then sped up 5% to get rid of the bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

The character's name is not, and never has been, Baldwin. That's the actor's name.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Most of the weather songs are by artists that are successful, full-time touring musicians with fairly large followings. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Mount Moon and Seth Boyer and maybe the guy from Barcelona we featured last time. I have no idea what his career is like.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

poop dood posted:

I was also at the 10pm Greensboro show last night and I have to say it was a hell of a lot of fun. Cecil seemed much more animated vocally than he usually is on the recorded episodes, and definitely used his acting chops to get the audience worked up and into it (not that it took much effort to achieve that). I hope the episode they performed will be aired soon; it's a really good one and I wish I could talk about it with everyone instead of just the people who were there, for fear of spoiling it.

Also during the Q and A session I got to talk to Joseph Fink briefly about his work with Something Awful and whether that sense of humor inspired Night Vale, and in his answer to me he revealed that SA's own Zach Parsons cowrote a few episodes! I know for sure he mentioned the time traveler episode as having some of his writing, and I think he said Yellow Helicopters did too, but I'm not sure. I was really happy to hear about that, since obviously Zach's brand of alternate-universe weirdness is a perfect fit for Night Vale.

Zack co-wrote ep 18. He was not involved in Yellow Helicopters. He also co-wrote the next episode that will be coming out (ep 34), and another episode that hasn't been scheduled yet. Co-writers are always listed in the episode information and in the credits of the episode.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hummingbirds posted:

Hey maxnmona, how long until we can stop worrying about spoilers from the live shows?

Right now. I officially absolve you and you can stop worrying about it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

Maxmona,

Are we allowed to re-sell merchandise that we bought from Topaco? My limited-edition shirt from September finally arrived and it doesn't even BEGIN to fit me.

As far as I know, TopatoCo does exchanges. Contact them directly.

Also, interview with Slate Culture Gabfest: http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/culturegabfest/2013/10/slate_s_culture_gabfest_on_steve_mcqueen_s_oscar_front_runner_12_years_a.html

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Speaking of which, here are some pics from our San Francisco shows that feature many a costume https://www.facebook.com/booksmith/media_set?set=a.10202587756042032.1073741837.1440675030&type=1

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

at the Brooklyn early show a couple weeks ago my cellist said he saw someone cosplaying as the Apache Tracker.

Yeah, unfortunately we've had one of those at a few of our shows.

Please don't do that everyone.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We're doing a live episode taping at The Bell House in Brooklyn on 12/18. Tickets on sale at 11am EST.

http://www.thebellhouseny.com/event/411009-welcome-night-vale-brooklyn/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We added a late show that, last I checked, still had tickets: http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/411575?utm_medium=bks&wrKey=BD7AAC0A8502307895A0160CB27FEFC9

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Interview with The Backlot that gets into a bunch of stuff: http://www.thebacklot.com/cecil-baldwin-jeffrey-cranor-welcome-to-night-vale/10/2013/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Thanks, guy who wrote all that stuff! (Really good job, I love the episode too.)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Any plans to update the mug now that Night Value Community Radio has a logo? Also, if you're thinking plans for the future, I think a non-limited shirt that just has the NVCR logo on the breast would be nice to keep in store.

And on an unrelated note, I have stumbled across a model/actor who is basically an exact match of my image of Carlos: Luciano Szafir.

The one on the mug is our logo. I have no idea what you're talking about.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hummingbirds posted:

Are you talking about the one on the intern shirt?

Ah, I see. Yeah, that's a fan made one just for that shirt. It is not an official logo (also it's mainly just the eye still.)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hi, here's this.

http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events#/westcoastjan13/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

By the way, we have some really exciting guests lined up for the LA shows, with different guests each night. Also probably a different weather artist each night in LA.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Portland, SF, and Las Vegas are being ticketed by us through BPT.

The rest are being sold through the venues, using whatever ticketing system they use.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Probably December 5 but it's not confirmed yet. The venue is doing the ticketing and is taking longer to set it up than the others.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Tickets go on sale in a few minutes: http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events#/westcoastjan13/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

San Francisco is sold out (although not all tickets are finalized and occasionally people's carts time out and a couple seats open up. So check back occasionally).

Portland and Seattle are both very close to selling out.

I don't have much info on the other ones.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We are now selling Night Vale and Desert Bluffs posters. We are also selling the remaining stock of Deer and Existence shirts until they sell out http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TO&Category_Code=CPB

Second shows likely in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco. More news on that on Monday. Vegas, San Diego, and the first two LA nights still have tickets: http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events#/westcoastjan13/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

DNA Cowboys posted:

A weekend show in Seattle would be a holiday miracle. After living less than a mile from the Neptune for years, I'm moving several hours east tomorrow. That's close enough for a weekend commute, but not a work-night escapade.

Any second shows will be late shows on the same nights as the early shows.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

They've actually never been released at midnight, people always just assume they are and then get mad when we release them later as we always do.

(There's no specific time, but usually around 2-5am EST).

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Krysmphoenix posted:

So I recently noticed the Night Vale twitter thing, and I have to ask who on earth writes those? A lot of these are as hilarious as they are thought-provoking.

The same people who write the show.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

Is the Mayoral Debate live episode going to air soon? Because story-line-wise it seems like it should, with the mention of Strexcorp it made.

EDIT Tumblr loved the Earl shout-out BTW. Some people are big on drawing him.

There's less a story delay, and more that we haven't had a chance to mix the recording yet. It should hopefully be out within the next month. God I hope so.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Tickets are already on sale for Phoenix, and tickets for late shows in Seattle, Portland, and SF go on sale in 20 minutes.

(Tickets also still available for San Diego, Las Vegas, and Thursday night in LA.)

http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events#/westcoastjan13/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Second show added to Saturday night in LA.

Only 11 tickets left in SF.

Phoenix also almost sold out.

Oh, and really, really big news coming in the intro to the next episode.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I can honestly say it's the most exciting news of my entire life so far, and I can't talk about it at all until Sunday.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

At the live taping next week, we're changing the voice actor for Carlos. Here's a brief essay by Jeffrey about why we're doing that: http://happierman.tumblr.com/post/69936379508/ch-ch-ch-ch-changes-or-who-is-carlos

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 14, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

bengraven posted:

I could see people getting too upset by it, but in fairness it was one episode and just a few sentences and as Jeffrey said, it wasn't even really supposed to be that big of a deal. And he made a radically progressive and awesome reason, that the work should go to an actor of color or a gay actor instead of another white washed role. Can't argue that!

As far as I know, no one was upset by it. We made this decision for our own reasons, not as a reaction to anyone being mad at us.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

bengraven posted:

I could see people getting too upset by it, but in fairness it was one episode and just a few sentences and as Jeffrey said, it wasn't even really supposed to be that big of a deal. And he made a radically progressive and awesome reason, that the work should go to an actor of color or a gay actor instead of another white washed role. Can't argue that!

Oh, I think I completely misunderstood this post, sorry.

Yeah, for the most part people have been very happy about the voice change. There is apparently some people really angry on reddit, so I think that means we're definitely doing the right thing.

And to clarify: this is a completely different book than the one we had been planning. That one is, well, no more. Things just shifted very quickly, and making our own book was no longer feasible. This will be an actual, in bookstores everywhere, written to be read by even people who have never heard the podcast, novel. The publisher will be sending out a press release with more details tomorrow, but I'm super excited and it's basically the life goal I've had since I was four years old fulfilled.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I am become podcaster. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/popular-podcast-night-vale-coming-book-21232953

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

From now on, every time someone complains about the weather, I'm going to raise the maximum allowed song length by one second. I look forward to being able to put one of the Disintegration Loops in there soon.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Not liking the weather segments? I don't understand.

The response is generally positive, with small (but vocal) groups of I HATE THE WEATHER WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME LISTEN TO THIS I'VE NEVER HEARD OF FAST FORWARD and THE WEATHER IS THE ONLY REASON I LISTEN TO THE SHOW THE REST OF IT SUCKS on either side.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Actually John Peters (you know, the farmer?) was played by Mark Gagliardi.

Interestingly, it turns out Mark and Cecil knew each other in high school.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hey look! A whole bunch of new things, including hoodies and campaign posters: http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TO&Category_Code=CPB

Why are they coming out after Christmas? Good question. We had most of this stuff to Topatoco well before Christmas.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hi everyone. Hadn't checked in in awhile, so I dunno here's some stuff:

1. Everything's sold out except San Diego, Vegas, and the late show in Phoenix. Also we added a free panel and q&a in Portland. Also a free panel and q&a in another city that's at a smaller venue so we're not going to announce the details until right before. Also we're considering adding another show in LA, but we have to decide if we really want to try to do 6 shows in 4 days. http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events#/westcoastjan13/

2. Mark off March in your calenders. We have plans.

3. Live recording of "Condos" will come out soon. It will not be released as a regular episode. More on that soon.

I think that's it. Let me know if you have any questions.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 5, 2014

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Here's this. Also we added an LA Friday late show.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

jazz babies posted:

This makes me concerned for any local appearances and the likelihood of there being NO chance for tickets due to the crazies. :/

I will happily fangirl internally, thank you very much. :colbert:

I just...I love this drat show so much. But not "create situations for characters and discuss them at length the point of an angry argument on Tumblr" love.

The crowds at our live shows are some of the best and most generous audiences any of us have worked with in years of making theater. We've had venues come up to us after and let us know that our audience was the politest and easiest they've ever dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

So we just announced this on twitter:

Feb 28 - Boston

March 3 - Philly

March 4 - DC

March 5 - Durham

March 7 - Atlanta

March 10 - New Orleans

Many more March dates to come. See you soon, East coast, South, Texas and Midwest.