Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Hummingbirds posted:

Any possible plans for a Florida show?

Not on this tour, no. Eventually, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Likely Texas cities are Houston, San Antonio/Austin, Dallas, but it all depends on securing theaters.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Info for the March tour. Dates will be added as they are finalized: http://commonplacebooks.com/live-events#/march-tour/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Night Vale live shows generally run about 90-120 minutes.

We run consistently about 90 minutes. Don't think we've ever approached 120.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Oh right. Those are things we're doing. Go to them everyone. They should be fun.

Hello from the road. 4 shows down, 11 to go.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Ratspeaker posted:

I finally got around to listening to this, mainly because this one girl on my Tumblr feed would not stop posting Cecil/Carlos poo poo and I got morbidly curious about what exactly was going on in these podcasts that drove the shippers so crazy. Just finished episode 16, and-- you can't not have known that was going to happen. :psyduck: I apologize if that's part of the joke or something. I'm still very new to this.

We didn't know what "shipping" was when we wrote that. Night Vale was written because we found it interesting. There was never any intended wider audience in mind.

dj_clawson posted:

Hey, did you really leave a Tumblr note for videntefernandez about her art? People are wondering if that's really you.

Have fun on the road!

I don't use tumblr. If anyone ever claims to be me on tumblr, they're lying.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Look, I get it's confusing because we have a joke about imposter Joseph Finks on the podcast, but the last time someone pretended to be me on tumblr it was some sort of racist thing, so I'd prefer people be able to separate jokes from reality.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Current likely plan: "Condos" will come out in Feb, "The Debate" in May. These are not promises.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We have said a few times in the podcast that the elections are in June. Probably not coincidentally, so is our two year anniversary.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

The Debate will be released before the elections.

Also Jeffrey and I were on Carson Daly tonight. For many time zones, that has already happened. For others, it has not.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I have no idea what that's about. We're looking into it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Just an error on their website. Show is not cancelled.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Len posted:

I wish I could justify an 8 hour drive just to see a live show :( There really needs to be one closer to Ohio than Philly.

Well, last I heard Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Indianapolis were all closer than Philly. But also hold your horses we're not done confirming all the shows for March yet.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

usb teledildonics posted:

Welcome to Night Vale High is creepy and makes me sad.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

troll for dollars posted:

maxnmona - Just curious: does it look like any more Texas dates will be added to the tour? I imagine with SXSW in full swing by that point find venues around the state is a pain, but I thought I'd ask.

There are only three more shows that are likely but not yet announced. One is in Texas.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I got asked this by PM, but it's a pretty common question, so:

March tour will be the same script as the West Coast tour, which is a script specifically written for live shows that has never been done on the podcast.

Also we will have guests at some of the tour stops, but we don't announce guests beforehand.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Added Northampton, Columbus, and Houston. That's it for this tour.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Jeffrey and Meg both have ties there. Otherwise we probably wouldn't have.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Condos was retired after we recorded it. The March tour is a completely different script.

Here's the note on the bandcamp page that you can't see because the track isn't live yet:

Hi listeners,

We hope you enjoy our first ever live Night Vale recording. It's a double-length episode featuring live music from Disparition and several guest voices (including the debut of Dylan Marron as Carlos!) We set the price at pay-what-you-can ($1 minimum). This is a completely DRM-free file, but we hope you'll refrain from distributing/streaming/sharing it on other sources. We set a very low price so that everyone who wanted to hear it would be able to afford it. If you cannot pay for it, or really, really don't want to, we will eventually release it for free. But in the meantime, please keep the only source of the file this page right here. Thanks, and we can't wait to share more live shows with you soon.

Cecil Baldwin
Jeffrey Cranor
Joseph Fink

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

We released Condos a day early in honor of the holiday. Go nuts. nightvale.bandcamp.com.

Also Chicago is now on sale, along with a bunch of other cities.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

It's the same one we did on the west coast. It's called "The Librarian".

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

That "Buy Now" link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

which buy now link?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

The deal with all the deer paintings: https://medium.com/geek-empire/9ee8ab3a4537

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

BiggerJ posted:

Any word on which podcast(s) the Night Vale/Thrilling Adventure Hour crossover will be on? If it'll only be on one forever, the other one should post an episode that opens with a command to seek out the episode on the other podcast, followed by one of the following: over twenty minutes of static, a single long note at the most unpleasant frequency possible for the same amount of time, or The Weather.

The crossover show is going to be live-only for the foreseeable future.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

The live shows are written to be understandable to people who have never heard the show before. There will likely be many references they won't get, but in general they should understand and be able to enjoy the self-contained story of the evening.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

This was the first Night Vale episode to earn an "explicit" rating on iTunes.

You don't earn that, you just tell them to put it there because people have complained when there was swearing in the weather in the past.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

So it doesn't apply to the actual episode necessarily?

We set this episode to explicit because he says poo poo in the weather and people have complained in the past.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Condos has been officially released. It will never be a numbered episode.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Night Vale Community Radio has sort of unofficially established its callsign as WTNV as well

we've what now?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Bitchkrieg posted:

The over-exaggerated, played-up Cecil/Carlos wore a little thin, pretty fast. Cecil is expressive and energetic, his pantomiming and stage presence was awesome. The hyped-up, limp-wristing, lisping, stereotype gay guy played so hard into the slash-fanfic members of the audience, though, that it kinda killed it for me.

Dylan is neither limp-wristed or lisping or particularly "sterotype gay guy", and you are coming off pretty hard homophobe here.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Here's a hint. Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Last I checked (about an hour after it went on sale) there were 5 tickets left, so it's now or never.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is there anywhere that I can buy the weather from the Debate? It's not on his bandcamp page.

No, like all the rest of the music he's been performing at live Night Vale shows, it is a new, unreleased song.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

You should also buy the new Nickel Creek album.

In LA I got to sit backstage a few feet from Sara and Sean Watkins rehearsing. One of the more amazing things that has ever happened to me.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Kaethela posted:

No Massachusetts or New England shows. :(

We did two shows in Massachusetts in March.

You should join up with the person who yelled at us for never doing any east coast shows when we have one that still has tickets available right at this very second.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Crain posted:

Man, reddit is really convinced that Fink and Co. wanted an online ARG/response in order for the revolution to succeed: http://www.reddit.com/r/nightvale/comments/25knf9/online_strex_corp_revolution/

I'm pretty sure some people from the start have been convinced (or kept vocally hoping) that we're secretly an ARG. (We're not. We definitely wouldn't have time to organize that, what with like, books and live shows to write.)

dragon_pamcake posted:

I think I would be terrified of meeting Kevin R. Free because his character on the show is so disturbing.

Kevin R Free is a sweetheart.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

San Diego show will not be connected to the convention. Anyone can go.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

as The Guy Who Writes Night Vale, here's my opinions from back when I read them during high school/college

The Gunslinger: boring as gently caress. barely made it through.
The Drawing of the Three: not as boring.
The Wastelands: oh my god this one is not good at all.
Wizard and Glass: pretty good if I remember right. I think the non-flashback stuff kind of sucked.
Wolves of the Calla: pretty funny, and I love the metafiction stuff. finally felt like he wasn't taking himself so seriously.
Song of Susannah: same note as previous.
The Dark Tower: I remember almost nothing about this book.

The end.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Speaking of influences, maxnmona, your love of humor-in-repeated-phrases and other similar stuff reminds me of Robert Shearman, who wrote a few Doctor Who audio plays (The Chimes of Midnight, Jubilee, The Holy Terror, and more) and who is one of my favorite writers of "genre fiction", as it were. Have you any familiarity with his work?

I have not heard of him.

Most of our language style comes from Deb Olin Unferth and Will Eno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

I was going to ask if this is a thing that really exists, but of course it is. Then I was going to ask why it is a thing that exists, but I already know the answer to that too. Humanity is doomed.

She's talking about this

http://www.thebellhouseny.com/event/563569-shipwreck-word-present-brooklyn/