Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I expected at least the original song.

This one broke up the Violent Femmes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftzG5OPTQVw

Here for, why not: HP's artful re-use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smRt9V7mNG0

Sorry if it's not terribly political.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And even the majesty of WWI facial hair cannot compare with Civil War mustaches and beards!

I see what you did there.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

In what universe is Maricopa 1200 miles from Mexico? Arizona is only 400 miles north to south.

Yeah that bugged me too.

Google maps has it that it's ~1400 miles to Mexico City.

That's the best I can figure.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The things that were previously on that screen were drooling birther nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqw4l1hDb3c

Now that it says something that is on point it's suddenly offensive.

And in case moving pictures don't count for the OP rules:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/29/be_afraid_americas_paranoid_history/

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cjones posted:

Ronald Reagan, Harvey Hancock (standing), Richard Nixon, Glenn T. Seaborg, Jack Sparks, (unidentified individual), Frank Lindine, and Edwin W. Pauley.

You didn't provide any context for this damning photo.

:nws::nws:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

trollstormur posted:

You can see it in his eyes. "Please hurry up and take the drat picture so I can put this poor people food down and go somewhere I can solicit campaign donations!"

Let's see, now...what do you folks have here, huh? Hmm, a "Krusty Burger"...that doesn't sound too appetizing. What kind of stew do you have today?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

That depends on when you asked the eyewitnesses. The first day or two, they said what I said, after she became Media Darling Rachel Corrie, they started saying what you said. They wisely understood that one dead white woman plays much better in western media than a hundred Lebanese kids burned to goo by white phosphorus and a hundred Palestinian kids used as human shields by the IDF combined.

So, what's your point? She was a dumb(?) martyr that got a lot of attention. Heh, way to slip and fall bitch. Owned.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tomero_the_Great posted:

The GOP hates women right? Well some gays fall on the far right of the femininity/masculinity spectrum and express their gender identity by cutting women out of the equation altogether and hate femininity in any shape or form.
Some of them then align themselves with Republican and conservative ideals and join them in looking down on women and feminine men (both heterosexual and homosexual), and prop up the patriarchy and the normalcy of masculinity while identifying as homosexual.

No, really.

Here we are, Born to be kings,
We're the princes of the HOA!

I was reading this NPR article and this was the first thing I clicked on, it reminded me of your post.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Saint Sputnik posted:

I was afraid that was the vote on putting support for gay marriage in the platform, but it was the vote for putting language back in referring to God and calling Jerusalem the capital of Israel. Whew, just caving to Republican caterwauling again.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lex Kramer posted:

I was listening to this on cspan. there definitely was NOT a 2/3 majority for this. How did it pass? Why isn't everybody outraged? Is there a d&d thread where I can read about this and complain?

It looked like they were voting by shouting, but the shouts were inconclusive? Pretty loving sketchy.

e:tables

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fluoride Jones posted:

best strategy game ever

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Saint Sputnik posted:

I'm trying to find a captioned gif of Reverend Cole talking about John Brown but no luck.

Instead here's a Texas family judge seen beating his teenage daughter in a Youtube video, for which he received only a public warning from the judicial conduct commission.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Texas-judge-gets-a-warning-over-beating-video-3845853.php#next

I think it was a statute of limitations issue. And she ended up posting about it in E/N. That got a little weird.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How quickly we forget Henry Hudson's "discovery" of Manhattan on 9/11/09*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crasscrab posted:

Today is Emergency Number Day, as ordained by Eternal President Ronald Wilson Reagan on August 26, 1987, in Proclamation 5696 -- 9 - 1 - 1 Emergency Number Day, 1987

And now a message from Eternal President Ronald Wilson Reagan.

http://youtu.be/me40T3KuIPU

Seeing that shriveled corpse reminded me of betamaxmas where it's always Christmas but never winter.

Edit: upon further reflection you might not get how that link = politics but you have to see Reagan's Xmas speech and all those 80s specials, it's a real window into the late cold war.

Content:

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 11, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crasscrab posted:

At the turn of the century, as the Philippines came under the wing of the U.S. government, Mark Twain suggested a new flag for the Philippine province -- "just our usual flag, with the white stripes painted black and the stars replaced by the skull and cross-bones."

It sickens me that more comparisons are not drawn between the American occupation and subjugation of the Philippines and our current war in Afghanistan.

Salon.com adopted this color scheme recently. It's a nice touch. Needs more skulls though.

Edit: picture

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 12, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AndItsAllGone posted:

I really want to like this video but I feel the authority was way too quick to bust out the taser.

Perhaps the truth lies... somewhere in the middle?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQanY8SxCfE

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpzn4ST0C9E

I'm split between sheer spite and cowardice...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

t3h z0r posted:

So remember this thing.

Well the Romney team has whipped up their own version!

This is official merchandise. For only $20 you can own a bad photoshop tracing with a random font slapped on.

Reminder that R-Money's website plagiarized word for word from Obama's as well as stealing the design.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Does anyone else think the rise of multi-drug resistant syphilis is behind most of this? I hear Sun City Arizona has a huge epidemic of STIs amongst the elderly and I'm sure Florida is the same.

Just putting that out there.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Eulogistics posted:

I find the middle part of this email pretty funny. "A CANDIDATE WINS WHEN LOTS OF PEOPLE SHOW UP AND VOTE FOR HIM!". The implication is that the only way to keep him from winning....is to stop them from voting.

That's been the GOP's strategy for quite a while now.

And post a pic, why not?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_ISC1EbCM

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Whatev posted:

Where is this data coming from? Because all of these numbers appear to be completely made up. See http://www.bls.gov/ro3/apmw.htm

And why doesn't it include the rising cost of gasoline? Ladies need to drive to the market.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pacra posted:

"Romney campaign blimp crash-lands in Florida"

Agreed.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lord Lambeth posted:

I am 95% certain Jesus made it smaller to save us godfearing Christians.

It certainly couldn't have been all the treaties and legislation to regulate CFCs. :c00lbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LAMENTS EVERYTHING posted:

I really wish police everywhere were like Maine police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXY2fImfr7Y

Whole video is awesome, but goes gold at 4:55.

That guy actually got therapy for his obvious anger issues and turned his life around. And that cop (gently caress the pigs notwithstanding) was really patient/cool.

:nms: for rabbit skinning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3gvHWf7ldY

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ekuNNN posted:

In election news: Man, Pakistan is gonna be so upset :(

They didn't really have a dog in this fight. I mean, they could have had a white man pushing the little red button over and over again or Obama could just keep doing it. :shrug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A tremendous rear end in a top hat posted:

Dear Lord:

The American people have made their choice. They have decided that America must change its course, away from the principals of our Founders. And, away from the idea of individual freedom and individual responsibility. Away from capitalism, economic responsibility, and personal acceptance.

We are a Country in favor of redistribution, national weakness and reduced standard of living and lower and lower levels of personal freedom.

My regret, Lord, is that our young people, including those in my own family, never will know what America was like or might have been. They will pay the price in their reduced standard of living and, most especially, reduced freedom.

The takers outvoted the producers. In response to this, I have turned to my Bible and in II Peter, Chapter 1, verses 4-9 it says, “To faith we are to add goodness; to goodness, knowledge; to knowledge, self control; to self control, perseverance; to perseverance, godliness; to godliness, kindness; to brotherly kindness, love.”

Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corp. for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build. We ask for your guidance in this drastic time with the drastic decisions that will be made to have any hope of our survival as an American business enterprise.

Amen.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wubbles posted:

English is my first language, but I guess I was annoyed enough when I was writing that post that I didn't pay attention to the number of clauses I used. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

To paraphrase David Foster Wallace, that post reeked of red wine and quaaludes.

Or maybe it was Faulknerian. :shrug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I like to think that.

Reminded me of The Shawshank Redemption.

"I'd like to think that the last thing that went through Romney's head, other than that bullet, was to wonder how the hell Barack Obama ever got the best of him."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Spretznaz posted:

Probably the biggest reason why Obama won, and why the GOP will slowly die if it continues as is.

Women's suffrage was probably also a factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmDg9t5M5dI

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Purgey posted:

Not sure what exactly what you're trying to say here, but I'm guessing its "The IDF are fighting with weapons from Outer Space!"

Tavors, like all bullpups, are largely gimmicks. The Galil, the previous Israeli standard issue weapon, is still issued to the IDF and I would argue that it is a superior weapon in most regards to the Tavor.

Of course, optimal small arm weaponry is largely irrelevant if your army solely exists to suppress unarmed civilians.

On the other hand, their up-armored vehicles are pretty low tech.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The way I heard it (in a William Gibson book :goonsay:) was that you can basically just buy these and they don't necessarily even represent public servants on personal business or even Russian citizens, for that matter. Part of me respects the Russians for taking capitalism to its logical conclusion and the rest is just kind of sad most the time.

Unrelated:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm kind of partial to the History of the Soviet Union set to the Tetris theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

How can anyone believe that they're going to warn the civilians by dropping poo poo on their roofs and text messaging but still execute precision strikes against "terrorists?"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Moot . posted:

What's the source of this photograph?

http://theunitedwest.org/

Operation Cast Lead.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

In case someone has an asterisk's brain and is transitioning their body to match it?

In DOS, and other computery poo poo, the asterisk is a wild card. Sure we could stop at transgendered and transsexual and transvestite but why not leave it open for transethnic and transpecies. :furcry:

I kinda just wish Obama would stop being the bigger man and tell that bum to go the gently caress home to Utah and keep on making sure his grandchildren grow up to be as horrible as he is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rand alPaul posted:

Hey that video contest was sponsored by General Electric!

Capitalism :bravo:

30 Rock is the guiltiest of pleasures. I know what it's doing and how and why and it makes me giggle because there are a lot of talented people doing it and just, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Frostwerks posted:

What on earth are you talking about?

The television sitcom 30 Rock features a running joke about the evils of multinationals as embodied by Alec Baldwin's character, Jack, the CEO of a mirror world General Electric. The meta humor is that you can watch a show made by NBC (GE owned) on (at least potentially) a television made by a GE subsidiary powered with (again potentially) electricity generated by GE and laugh about that funny mirror world where, again GE makes weapons systems that end up killing innocent people (and no doubt campaign donations that lead to the same.) It's basically an opportunity to laugh at how clever you are for getting the "joke" and a way to numb you to the reality.

The post made sense to me at the time but it assumes a lot.

The XM214 Automatic Gun:

"We Bring Good Things To Life."

• Locked thread