Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I love how the average match duration is under 10 seconds.

edit: although it probably wouldn't be if they didn't start with 30+ bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So is there actually some greater goal to strive for in this game, or is it classic roguelike "just get to the end and sit on a throne made from the corpses of those who came before you" fare in terms of payoff?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There is definitely a point to the game and if I remember correctly a number of different weird things can happen at the end based on what you've done to get there.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cicero posted:

I love how the average match duration is under 10 seconds.

edit: although it probably wouldn't be if they didn't start with 30+ bombs.

I played with 3 bots to 10 wins earlier, random maps each time (you get a Spelunky T-shirt avatar award) and no bombs and most matches lasted like 30 seconds. It was pretty hectic and fun and would obviously be even better with actual players. The computer is a motherfucker with the camera item.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I may be trying to beat the heat while going on 2 hours of sleep (stupid cold), but drat if I'm not all over this.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So yeah, it's completely possible to gently caress yourself over and not be able to get out of a pit, isn't it? :(

Level two was completely dark my first time through, and I couldn't see anything and ran out of bombs and ropes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Is there any news if the HD version will make it to PC?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just threw a bomb and angered Khali?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Capsaicin posted:

I just threw a bomb and angered Khali?

You destroyed an altar in the process.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
Played the tiniest bit of the old PC version years ago and I impulse bought this because it was so drat good looking.

Bought a camera in the shop and promptly took a photo of the shopkeeper. You folk that play Spelunky can imagine the shock on my face at what happened next.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Actually, this thread makes me sad that this isn't a tag. :fireman:

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

It would indeed be the most appropriate tag. Won't stop me from trying, though!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm sad that this is never coming to PS3. :( Playing Spelunky with a gamepad is pure joy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HardDisk posted:

I'm sad that this is never coming to PS3. :( Playing Spelunky with a gamepad is pure joy.

Is that confirmed?

Dystonym
May 20, 2011
Just got the ice caves! Although to be fair I did shortcut to the jungle, so that kind of invalidates the achievement. Also I pretty much totally blundered my way through.

I didn't play much of the original Spelunky as I couldn't get into it for some odd reason, but this is absolutely glorious.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Bitch Twinkles posted:

Played the tiniest bit of the old PC version years ago and I impulse bought this because it was so drat good looking.

Bought a camera in the shop and promptly took a photo of the shopkeeper. You folk that play Spelunky can imagine the shock on my face at what happened next.

Now I don't have the XBLA version since my 360 crapped out on me, but I'm going to wager he called you a paparazzo and shot you in the face.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

guppy posted:

Is that confirmed?

I remember seeing somewhere (other than here) that this port was being made on XNA, Microsoft's framework for building games. If so, Derek will need to rewrite the whole game to port it to PS3.

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012
I had totally forgotten about Spelunky. This game is incredible. Using cunning tactics to steal from the shop is one of the most exciting things I've done in a videogame.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Capsaicin posted:

So yeah, it's completely possible to gently caress yourself over and not be able to get out of a pit, isn't it? :(

Level two was completely dark my first time through, and I couldn't see anything and ran out of bombs and ropes.

When you start a level and it's dark, pick up the torch on the floor that spawns with you next to the door.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've forgotten in just how many ways this game can quickly turn into a Rube Goldberg machine of failure. :allears:

I see an idol sitting in place, a ghost suddenly appears, I pick up the idol wanting to get out of dodge, a boulder trap goes by and tears into a store I didn't see underneath. It's pretty much a race to the exit with a shopkeep and ghost on my tail.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
Best item so far? Monkey that poops gems.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Haha oh my god, i was in 1-1 and i found a jetpack and a parachute immediately. I figure out how to use the jetpack and i accidentally fly up and get hit by an arrow which flings me to the other side of the map into another arrow.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Awesome that this finally came out. Now I just have to wait for the PC version :sigh:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Is there any news if the HD version will make it to PC?
Derek Yu says "probably".

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Turns out the blue snakes that shoot crap can anger shopkeepers without you doing a thing to them. Sadly, that was a really good run too :saddowns:.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

Shlapintogan posted:

shot you in the face.

it was probably one of my shorter attempts, I had thought that maybe it took a screen shot :(

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

General rule of thumb: Doing anything near the shopkeeper will result in him pulling out his shotgun and shooting you in and around the face.

One time I was in the middle of a city of gold run, and two shopkeepers in the black market juggled me with their shotguns after I died.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Streaming some Spelunky XBLA. I run into things because I rush a lot. :downs:

http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

edit: I need to stop running all the time. Never let go of the run button.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 4, 2012

cursor101
Apr 22, 2010

(humorous Black Dynamite reference)
It seems that this is more than just a facelift and that some of the gameplay elements have been tweaked. The formula the original release had was fine but have the ice levels been atleast changed so that mortal men can actually complete them?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

cursor101 posted:

It seems that this is more than just a facelift and that some of the gameplay elements have been tweaked. The formula the original release had was fine but have the ice levels been atleast changed so that mortal men can actually complete them?

I beat the ice levels fine even though I couldn't get past them in the original. Then I died to a rock I threw.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The bees or wasps (can't remember which) in the jungle levels are a godsend, something in the hive put my health up to 6 from 2 and I got like 20000 money.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
This is an amazing version of Spelunky.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
It turns out you can't throw the princess on the spikes to cushion your landing.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

It also appears that Princesses might have hitpoints now. No longer are they the uber-rock to throw at anything except spikes.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

thebardyspoon posted:

The bees or wasps (can't remember which) in the jungle levels are a godsend, something in the hive put my health up to 6 from 2 and I got like 20000 money.

The queen drops royal jelly, which gives 4 health. Very, very handy especially because she isn't that hard to kill.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sputnik posted:

It also appears that Princesses might have hitpoints now. No longer are they the uber-rock to throw at anything except spikes.

They weren't quite invulnerable before but they took a LOT to kill, especially from environmental stuff. Their corpses weren't entirely useless either though!!

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

throwing a bomb at a skull crate makes it explode on contact? wellllpppp, another run down

moments later, first room yielded a gold idol that triggered the rolling ball other people mentioned. fucker is fast. If anyone is sitting on the fence, this is easily one of the most enjoyable games I have ever failed at repeatedly

Bitch Twinkles fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 4, 2012

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!
can someone give a bit of a newbie guide to this game i'm sort of learning what i need to do to stop dying super quick but i still can't get past the first 2 or 3 levels

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Got the first two shortcuts, now I'm working on the temple one...which is...difficult.

I had heard somewhere that what was needed was random, but it sure doesn't seem that way, they've followed the same exact pattern every time. This one is just going to take some...extra effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Bitch Twinkles posted:

throwing a bomb at a skull crate makes it explode on contact? wellllpppp, another run down

moments later, first room yielded a gold idol that triggered the rolling ball other people mentioned. fucker is fast. If anyone is sitting on the fence, this is easily one of the most enjoyable games I have ever failed at repeatedly

If I understood the giant bomb quick look right, throwing ANYTHING at skull crates will make them blow up.

• Locked thread