Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If the scepter is any amount as amazing as its PC version counterpart, it will absolutely carry you through Olmec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Was watching gameplay as I'm one of the few who can't play till it comes out on PSN or PC, but guy I was watching picked up a camera and made a targeting area appear (he instantly canceled out of it and ran off from it though). So maybe it's not just something to throw.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Was watching gameplay as I'm one of the few who can't play till it comes out on PSN or PC, but guy I was watching picked up a camera and made a targeting area appear (he instantly canceled out of it and ran off from it though). So maybe it's not just something to throw.

That just appears when you take a picture to show the affected area.

He didn't cancel out of it, it just disappears almost immediately.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Funkmaster General posted:

That just appears when you take a picture to show the affected area.

He didn't cancel out of it, it just disappears almost immediately.

Fair enough, just speculation :v:

Other guess was going to be "what if the camera got rid of the ghost like those old tales" or "What if it revealed jewels in the wall that you took a photo of" or something. Strange.

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

Man I have no idea how people are making it so far in the game. The furthest I've made it is 1-4 a couple times. It seems the further I make it and the better I'm doing the more grisly and swift my death is.

What's everyone's funniest death so far?

Mine was probably when I had a companion with a web gun and the gold-making GBS threads monkey. The monkey leapt off a ledge, making GBS threads gold on the way, and as I jumped after it to nab the gold my companion shot a web, which I got trapped in, then plummeted onto a set of spikes to my death. For awhile I couldn't decide whether incompetence or greed killed me. Then I realized the spikes did :colbert:

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Shlapintogan posted:

If the scepter is any amount as amazing as its PC version counterpart, it will absolutely carry you through Olmec.

It's even better. The little pulses fly loving quick now.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Well there you go, then. :black101:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Other guess was going to be "what if the camera got rid of the ghost like those old tales" or "What if it revealed jewels in the wall that you took a photo of" or something. Strange.

I bet it instakills vampires and probably some enemy in the temple as well. That's what I'd make it do. The computer in multiplayer is great at stunlocking you with it until you get zapped by the "hey stop camping" instakill laser as well.

Pitnicker posted:

What's everyone's funniest death so far?

The ones that make me crack up are when I get ping ponged around by the arrow traps or yetis, go flying over half the level, settle and get killed by some weakass enemy while stunned or get juggled by another yeti or arrow trap and flung back over to where I started onto some spikes or the abyss.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 6, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've always felt like the best games are the ones you can tell a good story about. On one of my games so far, I robbed a shopkeeper by shooting him with the shotgun he had on sale, then dropping a bomb on him while he was unconscious to finish him off. The next level he had a couple buddies on the lookout for me, one of whom was just jumping around and flipping out on general principle. I sent the damsel I was carrying down to scope things out while I was looking for more treasure, and later found her dead at the door to the shopkeeper's shop. I went the other way because I wasn't going to tangle with a guy who's just going to murder a defenseless woman, and near the exit I found his buddy impaled on a set of spikes.

That, in a nutshell, is why I love Spelunky.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Probably not the second, there's another item that shows you what's buried in the walls.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 6, 2012

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I finally did it!

I ended up walking in without a single item or weapon to my name. But I managed to get into a good rhythm to get him down quickly, and was lucky enough to not have too many annoying enemies drop on my head.

195 plays
194 deaths
1 win

:negative:

I have to say that although this is a great game, the quality tends to decrease the lower down you go. The ice caves are actually easier than the jungle in terms of enemy and trap difficulty, but have a bad habit of spawning terrain that is impossible to escape from, with no way to tell before you jump down to it.

The temple is even more unfair - it's not just possible to run into an unwinnable situation, it's likely. Arrow from offscreen that juggles you into 6 other traps? Been there. Dark levels full of crushers that you can't see coming? Done that.

I don't know if I have the patience to beat this game without shortcuts. Normally I'm all for permanent death in roguelikes, but it's not so great when the game has a tendency to decide that you're going to die, and you get no say in the matter.

Lork fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 6, 2012

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

Spaz Medicine posted:

It's even better. The little pulses fly loving quick now.

It's also far more likely to result in a horrible suicide. It also seems to kill you if you try to fire it through a wall while touching it. :smith:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

raditts posted:

Probably not the second, there's another item that shows you what's buried in the walls.

There's actually two other items that do this.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does anyone know if the shortcut unlocks are obtainable the same way as the original?

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
No, the tunnel man wants items now, delivered in three installments per shortcut.

Jungle: one bomb, one rope, 10,000 gold
Ice Caves: two bombs, two ropes, shotgun
Temple: three bombs, three ropes, the key to the chest with the Udjat Eye
Even if you have all the items, he'll only take one(or one stack) at a time and always in the same order.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Rollie the Guar posted:

No, the tunnel man wants items now, delivered in three installments per shortcut.

Jungle: one bomb, one rope, 10,000 gold
Ice Caves: two bombs, two ropes, shotgun
Temple: three bombs, three ropes, the key to the chest with the Udjat Eye
Even if you have all the items, he'll only take one(or one stack) at a time and always in the same order.

Also, for some asinine reason you have to have the whole stack at once. You can't give him one bomb now and the rest later.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Where do you find the tunnel man anyways? I've only heard of it before.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Finally found out what those red things in the jungle are... drat.

Got a sweet-rear end crysknife out of it though.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Where do you find the tunnel man anyways? I've only heard of it before.

As soon as you finish the mines by passing level 1-4.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Chances are this doesn't work in multiplayer then. I haven't seen it yet.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Chances are this doesn't work in multiplayer then. I haven't seen it yet.

No, he doesn't show up in multiplayer.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:woop: I made it past the caves and unlocked the first shortcut! Only took me 34 runs!

One thing I found out by accident is that you can pick up the little rats/frogs/whatever and throw them around. The don't do damage, but they do trigger arrow traps.

Also, shopkeepers don't like to have their picture taken.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
Am I the only guy here who bought the game just to get some nice tunes reminiscent of the Genesis days? It really sounds like they used an old Yamaha synth to make these songs and man am I loving it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Man this game's deathmatch is bring back memories of Bomberman except vertical. Really awesome.

Finally a game that both my daughter and I can enjoy. She didn't like it at first because of the fast deaths, but then we figured out that you turn into a ghost when you die, and are able to come back if someone finds a casket and revives you.

She actually made it to 2-1 herself, which I thought was pretty amazing considering that she is only six.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
That is honestly pretty freaking amazing. Get her on Starcraft II or something now and youll be in a cushy loving nursing home one day dude

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
Spent the afternoon playing co-op with a pal. Learned a few awesome things--

When you're a ghost in multiplayer, hitting X can ward away ghosts temporarily. You can basically evade the ghost timer by abusing this tactic.

Using the camera can stun things, as well as stun the ghost, for whoever was asking earlier.

If there's a cave exit near a store, and the primary player picks up an item but doesn't purchase it and the second player leaves, you get the item without paying for it or triggering shopkeeper aggro. With certain items like the cape, it not only gives the player the cape, but gives him a second one to drop in the new zone, so both players benefit. We thought it would be possible to steal more items with more players until we remembered only the primary player can buy things.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
my jetpack using kitted out hardass took me from 1-1 to 3-3 in one go until I fell victim to a loving springboard, launching me up to a mammoth It was a feel good run

Camera outright kills lesser undead, maybe vampires too?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

So, as if I needed more reason to love this game, one of the unlockable characters is loving Super Meat Boy.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

So, as if I needed more reason to love this game, one of the unlockable characters is loving Super Meat Boy.

I had a really strong suspicion this was going to happen. Wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Commander Video in there either.

Argh blargh time to play the freeware game again.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I started playing the freeware version again today. I loving suck at it. I did manage to finally make it to the jungle though with some luck.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Should this be spoilered? It was in the debut trailer as a stinger :v:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Finally found out what those red things in the jungle are... drat.

Got a sweet-rear end crysknife out of it though.

Shai-Halud was a pretty drat cool reference. Right up there with Ash's shotgun Boomstick and The Necronomicon.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Does Derek have a forumspring or something? Kinda wanna ask if this has any chance of being put on the vita. Getting ahead of myself I know but just thinking about it sounds like a perfect match to me.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Should this be spoilered? It was in the debut trailer as a stinger :v:

I guess I missed that trailer, or missed the appearance. In any case, anyone on my friends list looking at their leaderboard will get it spoiled for them anyway :smug:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Does Derek have a forumspring or something? Kinda wanna ask if this has any chance of being put on the vita. Getting ahead of myself I know but just thinking about it sounds like a perfect match to me.

Andy Hull has a form spring; alternatively, you could tweet Derek. @mossmouth.

The answer to your question is probably a "No, there are no plans to put the game on the Vita"

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Yeah, that's a pretty huge longshot. A PC version is quite possible. A PSN version is almost certainly not being planned, but not so unlikely that it's beyond hope. Anything else is pretty pie-in-the-sky at this point. Maybe if a PC and PSN version both come out you can start asking about a Vita version, or a Wii-U version, etc.

The way I understood what happened with this game was that Derek had no intention of this ever being anything other than a neat freeware game, and Microsoft actually approached him and asked if he'd like to do an XBLA version. I could very well be misremembering this, or wrong, but if this is the case, I'd very much expect there to be some sort of exclusivity clause in the contract. Timed exclusivity at the very least, possibly permanent. I'd be more willing to believe they'd accept a PC version than anything else, too.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 6, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, that's a pretty huge longshot. A PC version is quite possible. A PSN version is almost certainly not being planned, but not so unlikely that it's beyond hope. Anything else is pretty pie-in-the-sky at this point. Maybe if a PC and PSN version both come out you can start asking about a Vita version, or a Wii-U version, etc.

It was more of a friend pointing it out and... really it sounds built for it really, quick fire lives on the go and all, "Man let's see how far I can get in the 10-14 minutes I have!"

As for that trailer; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCswu85rJYY

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 6, 2012

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Ugh, spectacular: entered a new mines level to see "HEY! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!" and the angry shopkeeper music started playing. Who knows what happened? All I know is that a shopkeeper stunlocked me two tiers down and there went a really good run.

Does this count as a bug or a 'feature' :(

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
huh. in that trailer, the dark stages have brighter torch illumination/more range of illumination

And to the dude above, it's a feature lol. Anything that harms the sanctity of the shop falls under your responsibility. Odds going, a spitting snake or some poo poo wandered in there. I had a maneater in the jungle devour the slave dude once.

Bitch Twinkles fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 6, 2012

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
Yeah, those occurances happen a LOT more in the XBLA version, because in the original there was a gameplay mechanic where level interactions only occurred (for most everything except events like the boulder from the golden idol) if they were within 5 or so blocks from the edge of your screen. Now since everything is fair game as the level loads, you're prone to get hosed pretty hard from some random rear end maneaters or spitting snakes.

Luckily there seem to be far fewer stores in the later levels.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
For those you having trouble with the dark stages...turn your game brightness up.

Also you can get darkness and another level modifier together. Fun Times indeed.

Speaking of, I got the modifier "A wolf howls in the distance!" in the secret level The Haunted Castle

I'm assuming it has something to do with the eye since it was blinking, but didn't really have enough bombs to dig. The special weapon for the area is pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

yanthrax posted:

Yeah, those occurances happen a LOT more in the XBLA version, because in the original there was a gameplay mechanic where level interactions only occurred (for most everything except events like the boulder from the golden idol) if they were within 5 or so blocks from the edge of your screen. Now since everything is fair game as the level loads, you're prone to get hosed pretty hard from some random rear end maneaters or spitting snakes.

Luckily there seem to be far fewer stores in the later levels.

On the plus side though you end up finding arrow traps sometimes already triggered and various enemies trapped in cobwebs without having to do anything.

• Locked thread