Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
The Imperium, as a whole, is pretty unintelligent, and ignorant about things. They are just normal people living in their hyperindustrialized religious cities, and they know only what they need to know. There has been reference made to the fact that most of them don't even know that the traitor astartes even exist.

As you go up the heirarchy though, them more and more knowlege becomes availale. Even then, the higher ups probably don't know everything.

Then you have the Inquisition. They are the ones who tend to know the most, as it is their duty to understand, investigate, and refuse the xenos, heretics and demons. It is also their duty to censor any information that they deem to be damaging to the Imperium, even if that means exterminating everything on a planet. (Like whiping out the citizens of Armageddon after the first war because they fought chaos.)

By the way, what is the name of the book involving the Space Wolves during the first war for Armageddon? It seemed interesting to me, and I would like to pick it up. I just forget the name.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

jadebullet posted:

By the way, what is the name of the book involving the Space Wolves during the first war for Armageddon? It seemed interesting to me, and I would like to pick it up. I just forget the name.

The Emperor's Gift by Dembski-Bowden.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oh, awesome, it is written by Dembski-Bowden. That makes it even more desirable to me.

Thanks man.

Edit: Yup, found the book about the inquisitor. It is Chaos Child by Ian Watson. Writing wise, it really wasn't that bad, though the description of Emperor's Children raping people was a bit much, but fluff and story wise, it was pretty hosed up.

By the way, what is this bit about a dancing dreadnaught. It must have been from the other two books in the series.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 22, 2012

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Primarch Khan entered and got lost in the Webway, so clearly humans know something about it and how to enter it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He wasn't lost so much as he was captured and subjected to, give or take, ten thousand years of torture by the Dark Eldar.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

Primarch Khan entered and got lost in the Webway, so clearly humans know something about it and how to enter it.

Primarchs are legendary demigods from 10,000 years ago, not regular people.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
A question about Blanks: Blanks are repulsive to other humans, especially psykers, but what about each other? Can Blanks tolerate each other's presence? The Emperor once had a paramilitary force called the Sisters of Silence - if these blanks were able to form a group they must have been able to bond emotionally with each other.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Baron Bifford posted:

they must have been able to bond emotionally with each other.

Let's not go too far here.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
As in comrades-in-arms. Soldiers need to bond with each other in order to form a cooperative group that can handle the rigors of war.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Baron Bifford posted:

As in comrades-in-arms. Soldiers need to bond with each other in order to form a cooperative group that can handle the rigors of war.

Yes I know. But on the other hand, Warhammer

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Baron Bifford posted:

A question about Blanks: Blanks are repulsive to other humans, especially psykers, but what about each other? Can Blanks tolerate each other's presence? The Emperor once had a paramilitary force called the Sisters of Silence - if these blanks were able to form a group they must have been able to bond emotionally with each other.

As I understand it, the feeling of wrongness a blank exudes expresses itself in many ways; the most powerful (think capital-P Pariah level) exude an aura of 'should not be' that makes them more terrifying than most daemons- at least daemons are part of the Warp, which is in itself part of the universe. Even if one does not have a soul, one can still feel that aura emanating from them.

And at the other end of the scale is people like Ciaphas Cain's aide Jurgen, who while being able to disrupt psychic signals, is relatively 'un-blank' enough to simply come across as platemail-rumplingly scruffy. I guess the big E only plonked Jurgen-level ladies together in the Sisters, maybe?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

As I understand it, the feeling of wrongness a blank exudes expresses itself in many ways; the most powerful (think capital-P Pariah level) exude an aura of 'should not be' that makes them more terrifying than most daemons- at least daemons are part of the Warp, which is in itself part of the universe. Even if one does not have a soul, one can still feel that aura emanating from them.

And at the other end of the scale is people like Ciaphas Cain's aide Jurgen, who while being able to disrupt psychic signals, is relatively 'un-blank' enough to simply come across as platemail-rumplingly scruffy. I guess the big E only plonked Jurgen-level ladies together in the Sisters, maybe?

I think Necron Pariah's have their 'blankness' amplified but most of the blanks from the fluff just seem to be normal human beings capable of working and connecting with other people. They're only seem to be extremely repulsive to pskyers but to normal humans, I always figured they just seemed weird or a bit off. The three most memorable Blanks from the fluff, Jurgen, Bequin and Frauka. All three were okay working with others but had characteristics that would put people off.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, I know of that, but why couldn't they access it like the Eldar do? Why did they need to build that gateway on Terra? Why can't humans access the existing gates the Old Ones built?
Serious answer:

Because GW don't always remember if "The Old Ones" or the Eldar built the drat thing in the first place.

Humans have been into it, it takes a Farseer to prevent a gate collapsing and this one time Gotrek and Felix got lost in it (no really).

Baron Bifford posted:

So how does the Imperium figure the Eldar move around? All they'd have to do is capture an Eldar outcast with a grudge against his people or who is so utterly selfish (every society has these types) that he would sell out his people in exchange for riches.
Have you played 40k AT ALL?

CommissarMega posted:

The way it was originally explained is that the warp is like space, and every human's soul is a star like a tiny pinprick of light in it, the Emperor a huge inferno and Eldar etc small candles. Blanks are just not there, but if you can see other stars you can see the light being sucked into the blank. Basically think black holes instead of stars, where stars are souls.

Now how would a black hole be able to find another black hole when it can't see the light?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Selling a nice lot of Dan Abnett books Books

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baron Bifford posted:

So how does the Imperium figure the Eldar move around? All they'd have to do is capture an Eldar outcast with a grudge against his people or who is so utterly selfish (every society has these types) that he would sell out his people in exchange for riches.

I think you're about 25 years behind on the fluff. It's not Rogue Trader 1st edition anymore.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Humans have been into it, it takes a Farseer to prevent a gate collapsing and this one time Gotrek and Felix got lost in it (no really).

That wasn't the webway, and Warhammer Fantasy does not take place in the same universe as 40k. Also Teclis is not a farseer :ughh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That wasn't the webway, and Warhammer Fantasy does not take place in the same universe as 40k. Also Teclis is not a farseer :ughh:
It was when Bill King started writing for them and damned if he's giving up on it just because he's been told to.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

It was when Bill King started writing for them and damned if he's giving up on it just because he's been told to.

The magical network in Giantslayer is analogous to the webway (the same way that WHF elves are similar to 40k Eldar), but saying they're the same thing will only serve to confuse people who are new to the settings.

Anyways, I'm about a third of the way through Luthor Huss and so far, it's very, very good -- Chris Wraight obviously enjoys writing in the Old World setting. It helps too that the book is more focused than some of his more recent works -- off the top of my head, Wrath of Iron was told from something like eight different perspectives and suffered for it. Luthor Huss basically sticks to Luthor and his companions, a witch hunter and his companions, and some flashbacks to Luthor's childhood and it is so much stronger for it.

Speaking of Chris Wraight, Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance are being released in September as an omnibus called Swords of the Emperor. If you haven't read those books yet and haven't preordered the omnibus then you are a bad person.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 23, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If the setting wasn't so confusing it'd probably be less fun to mock.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Fantasy world used to be "no really I swear you guys" not in the 40k universe (nudge nudge wink wink). This was borne out by the Albion campaign, which ended with magic items that were just 40k items (a Rosarius, a Bolter) being made available to numerous factions. It also included sketches of warriors of Chaos who came from the Realm of Chaos and were just Chaos Space Marines. Also the rumors that Sigmar was a lost primarch and that the whole Fantasy world was in the Eye of Terror as a training ground for aspiring Chaos champions.

Basically GW's fluff has never not been hosed eight ways from The Feast of Saint Kiodrus and attempting to unfuck it is boring and lame.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

A chainsword also makes an appearance as a mystic artifact in one of the Mark of Chaos lore books that were released years ago.
Still wish they would actually do more of those instead of just focusing on normal fiction. :sigh: The closest you get now is Imperial Armour but they're expensive as hell though.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Basically GW's fluff has never not been hosed eight ways from The Feast of Saint Kiodrus and attempting to unfuck it is boring and lame.

I am a huge nerd and have no idea what that event was apart from Kiodrus being one of Saint Sabbat's aides?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

A chainsword also makes an appearance as a mystic artifact in one of the Mark of Chaos lore books that were released years ago.
In the old Realm of Chaos books, Chaos champions could receive all sorts of stuff like chainswords, bolters, and plasma pistols. Those were awesome, awesome days.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Speaking of the missing primarchs. I know there isn't much detail about them but it seems like in Heresy they seem to hint pretty strongly that one of them killed the other and Russ was forced to sanction the aggressor.

I think I got most of this impression from Prospero Burns.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Therion posted:

It's actually a Dune ripoff but the Starcraft thing is great to infuriate hardcore 'hams with.

How is 40K a Dune rip off?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Anyways, I'm about a third of the way through Luthor Huss and so far, it's very, very good -- Chris Wraight obviously enjoys writing in the Old World setting. It helps too that the book is more focused than some of his more recent works -- off the top of my head, Wrath of Iron was told from something like eight different perspectives and suffered for it. Luthor Huss basically sticks to Luthor and his companions, a witch hunter and his companions, and some flashbacks to Luthor's childhood and it is so much stronger for it.

I'm starting Luthor Huss on Friday when I finish the bar, so this is encouraging, thanks. I don't think I ever read Wrath of Iron - is it worth the read or hurts so badly it's a pass?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Zhent posted:

I'm starting Luthor Huss on Friday when I finish the bar, so this is encouraging, thanks. I don't think I ever read Wrath of Iron - is it worth the read or hurts so badly it's a pass?

It's worth reading, and above average for Black Library simply because Wraight is a very capable writer. It's just a bit unfocused, and doesn't take advantage of a lot of the themes it introduces early on. In a way, it's refreshing to have a Battles book that doesn't try to show you how the featured chapter is "cool", but it's a really, really grim book.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Aziraphale posted:

There is an Emperor, AI is prohibited, etc. The influence is definitely there, whether or not you want to call it a "ripoff" is on you I guess.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Aziraphale posted:

The God-Emperor (sequel book), the Navigators, and the ban on AI.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Baron Bifford posted:

The God-Emperor (sequel book), the Navigators, and the ban on AI.

My understanding was that it used to be a lot more blatant in the Rogue Trader days but the lore sort of grew into its own after an edition or two. The basic concept is fairly derivative of Dune (Feudal far future with advanced technology being relatively scarce, powerful rogue trader houses vying for power and riches) and also of Warhammer Fantasy (basically all of the Rogue Trader-era aliens were counterparts to WHF races) but once the focus was taken off Rogue Traders the Imperium got developed into the unique and fascinating hellhole we've come to know and love.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't get why the writers copied the AI ban. Why would AIs be incompatible with the Imperium of Man's themes?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't get why the writers copied the AI ban. Why would AIs be incompatible with the Imperium of Man's themes?

Because then the Imperium of Man uses cyborgized lobotomized dissidents instead of robots, which is way more grimdark.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
The AI thing is also related to some old fluff regarding Iron man from the period of dark age of technology.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dark, dark, darkety-dark.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The fluff line is that AIs became self-aware and rebelled against humans during the Dark Age of Technology, and were eventually put down after considerable losses. The Emperor decreed that no true AIs could ever be built again, leading to the use of machine spirits and servitors.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I know what the fluff says, but what purpose did the writers have in mind to establish that in the first place? Why did they decide that EDIs and HAL 9000s were unsuitable for their particular vision of the 41st millennium? It was just so that they could use servitors?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
They use AIs; advanced machine spirits are just that (more basic ones are expert systems, and lower is just general programming or not even a thing). However, they're not fashioned to think like humans, but instead be like sort of an animal sapience related to its task. You could say, for instance, that the AI that drives a Land Raider is like an attack dog in scope and personality. And that fulfills the edict: you may not fashion an artificial construct in the likeness of man.

Baron Bifford posted:

I know what the fluff says, but what purpose did the writers have in mind to establish that in the first place? Why did they decide that EDIs and HAL 9000s were unsuitable for their particular vision of the 41st millennium? It was just so that they could use servitors?

Because 40k, and the Imperium in particular, is extremely human-centric in a xenophobic fashion. Humans, humans only, against everything and everyone else. Having talking computers or an android is not much more different from being pals with that big warrior poet guy with the ridged forehead, which is completely opposed with what they were aiming for since 2nd ED.

The Imperium of Man is not the Federation.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I think a lot of these more general fluff questions that aren't related to a particular story might be better answered over in the 40k thread in TG, and we should try to keep this thread focused on Black Library content. Otherwise it will just turn into a 40k A/T thread.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aziraphale posted:

Navigators alone man, navigators alone :psyduck:

Also the AI/Butlerian Jihad thing. They never *really* go into why AI is bad in 40k, but basically that's why.

The Chaos stuff is straight out of Fantasy, which stuck names on a few new gods but otherwise lifted most of the world from Elric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Also the AI/Butlerian Jihad thing. They never *really* go into why AI is bad in 40k, but basically that's why.

Yep. If anyone's interested, there's quite a bit of discussion on the AI issue in the Horus Heresy book Mechanicum, which is itself a very solid read.