Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I'm hauling rear end through Legion of the Damned and it may very well be my favorite of the BL books I've read so far. It's not what I was expecting but what I'm getting is so much better, in my opinion. Kersh is shaping up to be one of my favorite marines.

After (relatively minor, but cool spoiler)having his scouts take out an entire throne room full of armed redemptionists in a fuckin' ecclesiarch palace, he tells a vomiting pontifex this:

quote:

"I hear enough of this God Emperor from my Librarian. The love of our Emperor? You think yourself worthy of that? You think you can earn his love through worthless words? Your hives and palaces of soulless devotion? Your veneration of an empty idea? I feel the love of my father as he felt the love of his. This flesh - these hearts - were made to feel. His blood courses through my veins. His loss lives on behind these eyes. He is more than a man, but he is not a god. It is your fear that casts him as such. You are weak and foolish, and in your billions need him to be more than he is. But you are wrong, mortal. He is more than man for not being some all-powerful deity. His deeds are his own and we aspire to his greatness - not appropriate it, mythologize it and worship it as a shield against a galaxy of petty doubt, dread and pain. For his love, I would do anything."

And the book is just full of this awesome poo poo. Like funkzilla said- the atmosphere in this book pours out like a fog. I also really like the description of the Legion. Previously, they've been kinda normal sounding except the the flames and bone decorations, the cover art (as seen here: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=95046 ) and descriptions make them much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Common sense.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Pissed kitten moan.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

Cream_Filling posted:

Legion of the Damned is decent.

It may be weird, but it is my favorite BL novel. It was so totally different than what I was expecting it to be and something about it just really clicked with me. As I've been reading other novels (just finished For The Emperor, about to start Helsreach and the nightlords books), I've actually re-read Legion three times.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Haha, just realized I wrote For The Emperor instead of The Emperor's Gift. Haha. Tiny tiny bit of difference between the two, but yeah, TEG is awesome as hell.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Yeah, I think Dante is supposed to be what- 1100 or 1200 years old? I think he's the oldest non-chaos, non-dreadnought SM. With the way poo poo's going though, they'll eventually kick out a bunch of magical 10,000 year old dark angels or grey knights that have to eat psychic toddlers every day to stay young. You know, for the emperor. The grimmest, darkest emperor.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
The mask dispenses Oil of Olay. From the neck down, he's a wrinkled, leathery mess.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
You know, I hadn't really read much Space Wolves stuff- it wasn't that I didn't like them but their really outspoken furry fans just turned me off. I liked the idea of the Grey Knights but then the new codex and stupid fluff bullshit came out about them and I'm guessing as others here have speculated- ADB was probably frustrated with their changes as well. Going into The Emperor's Gift, I was interested to see how he'd handle their new superdupergrimness and I think he did the best he could with them but as someone mentioned a couple of pages ago- between the facemelting amazingness of Logan Grimnar and Bjorn, I came out the other end of the book just wanting an entire Wolves' novel by ADB and not really caring if I read anything else about the GK again.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

Nephilm posted:

Read Prospero Burns and Battle for the Fang.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to do that.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Wanna hear about his time with the Dark Eldar. Mainly so he can recall the time he found a wych alluring but was all-together put off by the fact that her suit was mostly strips of human leather and knives.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Is this the guy who was busted on plagiarizing some soldier's memoirs from Iraq? Or was it someone else.

Yeah, it was Zou. I remember reading some of the examples and it was pretty damned obvious.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think that the truth is that GW holds onto its IP very tightly because it is afraid of dilution and wants to control everything about a project. Hollywood, were it interested in 40K, would be more interested in changing elements of the story to fit into perceived notions regarding demographics. I think we are starting to see that change a bit with directors like Joss Whedon and Guilermo Del Toro, but they're definitely the exception to the rule.

I can see some exec thumbing through the pages while saying "This okay, but where are the female marines? And it's all so... dour. We're thinking of making it so the army guys can just walk in and out of those dread things- audiences connect better with faces!"

Not that I wouldn't poo poo pants if they cast Depp as Cain or something.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

bunnyofdoom posted:

What about the Salamanders?

They're the galaxy's straight man I swear.

Eh, GW will mandate that someone writes about a book about them that reveals that they worship the emperor as if he were moloch and that they force the people they "help" to sacrifice one third of their infant population in a pit of fire.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
You can find it for sale on amazon usually. Not cheap though. Still pretty happy I got the hardcover complete liber chaotica when I did.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Anything by CS Goto. The Dawn of War book was so bad that I didn't touch another BL book for almost a year.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
I was at my local GW store a couple of days ago and it wasn't there and they usually have everything that's currently available.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Wasn't there some controversy about ork players during the event as well? I didn't play but I remember them bitching about being lumped in with chaos or something like that.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
They're kinda-sorta back as the Demiurg in Battlefleet Gothic but I think even in that game they're linked to the Tau.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
I'm almost 100% positive that an earlier Chaos SM codex mentions that the only normal folks that have any real information about it are in the inquisition. Doesn't seem all that far fetched with what happened after the first Armageddon war.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
I think even in the current rulebook, the fluff states the throne is damaged beyond repair and starting to fail. Just more "dancing around the rim" endgame hype that'll never amount to nothing.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Yeah, the sounds pretty horrible. As much as we may want the storyline to advance, it won't be 40k if it does. There is grim darkness, there is only war. Who knows, one day GW may decide to push forward a bit but as it is, there are 10,000 years of war that span the entire galaxy- there are acres of room for new characters and stories. Of course people want to read about primarchs returning and kicking rear end, Abaddon actually winning a crusade, the emperor dying, or the greatest waaagh ever that involves giant orks riding heirophants into battle.

I'm honestly kinda hoping there's some sort of Dark Age of Technology spin-off because poo poo would just be insane.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
There's some awesome books and there are a couple of real stinkers. If you read through the thread, you'll see which ones people hate. I'm not a super-critical reader, so I found cool, enjoyable points in almost all of the books but the ADB and Abnett books are really fantastic and I tend to plow through them in a couple of sittings versus some of the other books. I know it gets suggested every other post but knowing the movies and tv stuff that you're into, if you haven't read the Night Lords books, I think you'd enjoy it.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

jng2058 posted:

That would actually make a pretty good novel, come to think of it. Some history obsessed Space Marine (a Blood Raven, maybe?) travelling from sector to sector trying to recreate the full Codex Astartes by stealing all the bits and pieces that each Chapter has. Naturally he (and his squad?) would end up having to fight alongside different Chapters against whatever problem that Chapter was having at the moment. It could be a nice Tour Around the Galaxy where you can compare and contrast not only the various enemies that Imperium fights against but also how the different Marine Chapters do business.

Have Sandy Mitchell write this and I'd probably read it forever.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My wife is ordering it for me for christmas. The cost is insane but rare BL books tend to only go up in value (sometimes waaaay up).

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
We'll see. The bad thing is that I have a really hard time letting go of the stuff once I get it- that whole "you'll never see this again" thing kicks in. I've got both editons of the Infantryman's Uplifting Primer that I paid less than $20/each for new and they're going for really stupid amounts now, it seems. Got a hardcover liber chaotica and a few art books that have gone up as well.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

Sandweed posted:

Where are they being sold? I have those book as well.

I really don't know if they're going for those crazy prices, I see them up for bidding on ebay but I never pay attention. A few years ago I met up with a guy who posted a note at a local book store that he was interested in BL fluff/art books, he offered me $80 for both of the primers and I think $120 for one of my art books. We didn't keep in touch- if I ran across him now, I'd probably sell most of it.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
It depends on the story for me. Them talking is fine for lighter ork-themed stuff but when they're supposed to be a terrifying unstoppable horde, I like the ones you can't understand. I just can't take them seriously if they're all talking like Dick Van Dyke out of Mary Poppins (Chim-chim-cheree a choppa's as lucky as a choppa can be!).

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Make a 40k action game with a skylanders type thing. People already pay out their asses for unpainted, unassembled figures (sometimes of dubious quality), just imagine what they'd fork out for painted larger scale figures that you can also plug into a game. Go batshit and give them swappable weapons and wargear. Years ago, Sideshow made polystone 40k statues and those thing sold like hotcakes.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

Deofuta posted:

Does anyone have some fluff regarding the Imperial Knights? What are they, who do they fight for, etc?

I've been browsing around but the Lexicanum seems to just have some short blurbs about them.

I have the Knight Companion book, it's nothing but fluff. The wikia article is a pretty decent compression of all that. It's overpriced but pretty damned awesome if you want gigantic painting refs and background. The coolest knight color-scheme wise is also a giant dick that rises out of the ocean and just fucks up everyone in his way, good or bad. His idea of doing a good deed was to rescue a disabled baneblade by picking it up and throwing it into the imperial camp crushing several small buildings (and occupants) in the process.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

Joe Videogames posted:

This is what I'm saying isn't as bad as everyone says: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tsvCLG1QZjs

You're right. It's worse.

I don't see how in the gently caress you could say Lord Inquisitor looks worse than that lovely Ultramarines movie? Ultramarines looks like it was made along side Beast Wars or those other lovely cgi cartoon shows. I guess you think it looks better than the DoW intros (and Mark of Chaos, I'm guessing)? From what I've seen of it, I think the Space Marines game even looks better.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

DirtyRobot posted:

I've heard this before, and I've also seen links to him not-so-subtly expressing his frustration about it. But are there details on specifically what was re-written in the fluff, and/or how this affected the actual book?

If I remember correctly, the GK's weren't nearly grimdark enough, so Ward made it so that any poor soul that even uses the words "grey" and "knight" in the same sentence gets his entire planet blown up. They kinda went from over-zealous paladins to psyker death squads that do poo poo that would make Kharn proud (Hey sisters of battle, having a little bit of trouble with this demon, so... we're kinda going to slaughter all of you and bathe in your blood to make us stronger! Blood for the bloodgolden throne!).

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Merrett is one of the bigwigs at GW. I think fleshing out the heresy was his big project- most of the art in that book and the other Visions books were commissioned for the card game that I guess they expected to be a huge hit judging by the amount of stuff they did for it. The game died after a couple of years and I guess they just decided to roll with the heresy because they had done so much art and backstory for it.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

Mikojan posted:

Totally offtopic here but a long time ago someone made a brilliant description of Chaos in the warhammer universe.

Did anyone save this post so I can put it in my warhammer.txt?

My favorite is from the simple english wikipedia article:

Chaos Space Marines must kill everything and let the galaxies burn.

I tried something recently- I asked my wife to read the night lords trilogy. Her exposure to 40k has pretty much been seeing (and sometimes smelling) guys playing it in stores- she's looked through some of the art books and her understanding of the setting basically comes from the "in the grim darkness" blurb at the front of the books.

She really enjoyed them. She had me show her some of the things mentioned in the books, like the size of a marine versus a human (her initial impression was that the marines were normal sized men inside the armor) and a couple of other things as they came up. She really appreciated the human characters and kinda approached everything from their viewpoint- she liked not knowing everything about the marines (like what exactly the exalted was), it made them (even the "good guys- especially the descriptions of the blood angels' dreadnought) really strange, mysterious and generally terrifying. She commented that even if I don't really identify with the lords directly, my grasp of the setting kinda has me observing their conversations from "above"- I know how incredibly hosed up the 40k universe can be. Even though I didn't know specific plot points, I knew what to expect. Before she started reading, they were guys in metal suits that probably lead relatively normal lives outside of their suits.

Her favorite aspect was ADB's manipulation of her perception- being kinda in awe of Talos when he rescues Eurydice and then very explicitly reminded that he and the other lords are for real boogeymen that do incredibly horrifying things to innocent, defenseless people.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
I'm curious as to how Emperor's Gift would have turned out if ADB didn't have to rewrite part of the way through.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

Angry Lobster posted:

While I was wasting my time in YouTube I stumbled with a new teaser trailer for the Lord Inquisitor movie, published a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

The quality of this movie will be mind numbing :psyduck:

What's crazy is that it was all rendered in realtime with a consumer gpu.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
I'm just not a gigantic fan of Abnett. Eisenhorn/Ravenor are decent, I couldn't get into the Gaunt series. I don't mind most of his other stuff but there's usually at least a few things in his books that really get on my nerves. His wet leopard growls and especially his descriptions of Kurze in Unremembered Empire. We get it, the guy is lanky, shadowy and dark- we really don't need it repeated eleven thousand times over 5 chapters. It was bad enough reading it, when I listened to the audiobook version? It seriously felt like some type of weird psychological torture, I felt awful for the guy having to read it.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
I have the first omnibus and read first and only and I think most of ghostmaker. When I free up some more time, I'll give necropolis a try.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
I thought it was fairly interesting that with the Unremembered Empire audiobook, the perpetuals were the only characters in 40k I've ever heard voiced with american accents. I like listening to the audiobooks before I reread if I can, just to hear if there's anything I didn't pick up on during the first read. The only thing that I don't like, but they can't really help, is the reading of primarchs. You have these massive demigods whose voices should come out like thunder and the reader doesn't really capture that but they're not really audio dramas either but hearing Magnus sound like an accountant is off-putting. Poor Angron sounded like an angry Barney Gumble from the simpsons. I did like how soft and kind Lorgar sounded though.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
All the recent unabridged audiobooks seem to have been done by the same company. Betrayer is one of the better ones. I had mentioned it before but the Abnett audiobooks are kinda tedious at times because of the repetition in the writing. Even the reader starts to sound bored. He reads all the time indexes from Know No Fear- that gets old pretty damned quick. Do you like hearing descriptions of Kurze that call him various combinations of tall, shadowy, and pale? Unremembered Empire is your jam! I'm half tempted to buy Mark of Calth simply because there are three different readers- might mix things up a bit.

Of the audio dramas, The Sigillite is good. I also liked Censure. I really liked the Ciaphas Cain one but it just made me wish it was longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
I'm pretty sure the official label for the current time period in 40k has been "The Time of Ending" since at least 5th edition. I'm not saying they won't advance the plot but I see what's going on with Nagash and friends with fantasy (the book is solid, by the way) is them kinda "catching up" with 40k. Took the setting from bleak to "We're hosed.", which is could honestly replace the "In the grim darkness of the far future..." statement at the front of every BL 40k book.