Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I started with Horus Heresy, I hope thats a good starting point. I've read Gaunts Ghosts before though.

Library didn't have Eisenhorn :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I really liked Horus Rising, it was almost bittersweet in the end when they were so close to coming to an agreement with the interex. I looked up a few of the names since i'm not good at remembering lore and I was like "Woah, so yeah that's why Abaddons name felt familiar"

Do the rest of the books follow Gavriel to some degree or do they switch perspectives? I really kinda liked him. I also loved that the Imperium of Man has really gone to poo poo since the Emperor bit it. Advancing technology? Secular society? Really awesome. Though Techpriest didn't seem very nice even back then

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So are there are Space Marines around that were alive during the Horus Heresy (and before?) Do they still buy the whole "The Emperor is a God!" spiel or do they remember how things were?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just read Eisenhorn and it was pretty good. I have one complaint though. I wish the final enemy hadn't been Pontius Glaw, I felt like a stretch. I would have liked it to have been just The Inquisition finally coming after him for summoning deamons and for it to end with Eisenhorn as a wanted refugee. I know Halden and Osmo were there in a corner alongside Fischig, but yeah whatevs.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Huh, so I just read Pariah. And I absolutely loved the end where Ravenor explains that Gregor has been declared Diabolus Extremis for a century Oh yeah.

also what is the deal with Deathrow?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mowglis Haircut posted:

He's a Space Marine. More specifically, by saying 'I'm Alpharius', he's identifying himself as a member of the traitor Alpha Legion. Though their whole deal, if you read Legion, is that they turned to Horus's side under the urging of an alien cabal who forsaw that it would be for the greater good of the galaxy if Horus won the Heresy. Whether that means the Legion stayed loyal in the ten thousand years since, or succumbed to heresy is another matter. Guess we'll find out!.

In summary though, Deathrow is a seriously bad dude and if Eisenhorn is using him then he's gotten into some dark-rear end poo poo. Or darker poo poo.

Yeah it looks that way. It fits though what with Alpha Legions possible hidden motives, their preferred modus operandi.. I .. Like that development. Also Pariah was definitely the best of the Abnett I've read. Just Eisenhorns confrontation with a traitor marine in the ecclesiary building.. brilliant stuff. And the Smiling One was suitably nasty.

I have one last question though. Why didn't Medea and Patience recognize eachother?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

mdemone posted:

If the Bequin trilogy leads into this kind of Emperor-related stuff and ties to Abnett's secret project, that will kick enormous rear end.

Yeah having Eisenhorn go to Terra to try and resurrect the Emperor of Mankind with Alpha Legion by his side and Ravenor following him with the might of the Imperium. It'll be interesting.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah it's a real stretch, on the other hand something more plausible would be finding out if Omegon or Alpharius is alive and if they really are on the side of the Imperium. And that would also be really cool.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Alchenar posted:

Eisenhorn and Ravenor should both be long dead by the 'current' 40k date anyway.

What is the current date then compared to when Pariah is taking place?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Do we know anything else about the (Pariah) Yellow King or the Cognitae? Other then what is written in the books?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Cognitae feature heavily in the Ravenor trilogy. Really, you should have finished Ravenor before starting Pariah in the first place.

I probably should have, i'll grab it next week I guess.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Before you read Ravenor, read Eisenhorn.

why doesn't anyone read the OP (or thread title) :negative:

I did read Eisenhorn :)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Safety Factor posted:

Keep going. And in regards to your spoiler... that's not what's going on. Pariah is really good, but starts off a little slow.

I actually skimmed the first two chapters thinking to myself "Ugh so some Alizebeth backstory.. yeah yeah whatever.. huh.. it.. contradicts the first books.. so what wait what just happened did she kill an inquisitor? I have to go back."

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mowglis Haircut posted:

It's called Pariah, and people have been talking about it on this page! Odd, but good is my summary. Written in a more obtuse way than the usual BL fare, not many huge action sequences but some interesting elements. Seems more like a prologue to the trilogy than an actual full book in its own right. Some people got annoyed with it.

I'm perfectly fine with it being a bit slower if it includes stuff like Eisenhorn straight up bodyslamming a traitor marine off a staircase and crushing him. I thought that was way awesome, especially considering what happened the first time he faced a traitor marine (he got lucky and killed him when he was "stunned" and the books made it obvious he stood no chance) Goes to show how far he's come (fell?)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How many Imperial Guardsmen would it take to kill Angron?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It could just as well be Teke recognizing Deathrow as either a space marine in general or traitor marine and that rattling his bones. Or he could recognize this particular traitor marine? But him actually being a Primarch? He's described as smaller then Teke and if i'm not mistaken Primarchs are much bigger then their progeny.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

SquadronROE posted:

There was a CYOA on here that was pretty great, written completely from the Ork perspective.

You have a link to that?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

euphronius posted:

Space marines also appear to be able deflect bolter shots with their swords at least some the time.

Also Eisenhorn does that

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Alchenar posted:

A force sword that is unique in a way that just so happens to totally make it a lightsaber.

No he lost that sword in like the first book. (the one that was an actual lightsaber)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just read Legion, it was good. Really among the better WH40k books i've read. I really hate someone seeing the future with absolute clarity though, it's bollocks and always has been. The future changed the second someone saw it and giving Alpharius and Omegon two paths only to destruction is lame.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

sunburnedcrow posted:

I just finished Eisenhorn and holy poo poo using Fischig as a daemonhost is just cruel.. What is the general consensus regarding Pariah? Is it good?

Yup. It's good.

It feels mostly like a set up for the rest of the books. But I really really enjoyed it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Umiapik posted:

Anyway, I'll stop there: this has turned into a very long post. (The fact that I've cared enough to spend an hour writing it should tell you that this was a book that's made a strong impression on me ;))

I'd actually like to hear more if you have anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Abett uses omega level psykers, what the hell is that?