Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dexo posted:

Loosely.

There are call backs to ALO, and SAO in GGO. Kirito is essentially guilted into going and investigating GGO. Because of something that happened after SAO.

This continues beyond GGO as well.

Post GGO stuff:

He ends up working (part time I think?) for a company thanks to people he met due to the SAO incident, and his prolonged time in Underworld is brought about due to a real world attack that is directly related to his SAO experience. The way the current arc (Alicization) is written it looks like it's done in a way to suggest some of the technology there is the foundation for what eventually becomes the basis of Accel World (his other work).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I haven't read any of the novels, but does Kirito essentially become an MMO investigator in the later arcs? I can't think of any other way in which he would be related to all those other games.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
Kirito is hired to investigate strange occurrences in GGO, but it's a one-time thing that turns out to have a connection to his experiences in Sword Art Online. Apart from that he plays Alfheim Online (which includes all the original SAO's content) exclusively.

The next long book, Mother's Rosario, takes place in ALO. Alicization takes place somewhere different, but I don't think Kawahara's even finished the last volume of that, has he?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Alicization is something like the size of the rest of the series combined from what I've heard from someone who's read the online version. It's already at five volumes and they only Just introduced the major overwhelming danger in the fourth one. I figure there's probably enough content for up to eight volumes there.

It's pretty neat too, even from the lovely translations I've read.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Is GGO really that terrible? I need to know if the new season will be worth watching or not.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Barent posted:

Is GGO really that terrible? I need to know if the new season will be worth watching or not.

It's so terrible it loops back to being amazing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I have to admit that I liked it. A lot of what Kirito does is objectively silly, but it's also the only part of the series where the female lead is actually relevant. In fact, I would classify it as her story, guest starring Kirito. Helps that the "everyone falls in love with Kirito" thing is downplayed significantly. And, well, the climactic battle doesn't involve either breaking the rules of the game with nothing but willpower or magical data ghosts giving him GM powers. I think that's a step up, personally.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 22, 2014

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
GGO is also one of the only parts of the story where there is actual tension back in the story. It's not at the levels it was at in the Aincrad section but it still is there unlike pretty much the rest of the series. Though this doesn't mean the rest isn't a lot of fun to read or watch if they ever animate it.

edit (hosed with spelling)

Myurton fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 22, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just keep telling myself it's SAO (the good half) with guns, and that's enough to keep me hyped.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I just keep telling myself it's SAO (the good half) with guns, and that's enough to keep me hyped.

It's not really like SAO at all.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh.

Well at least it has guns.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ViggyNash posted:

Oh.

Well at least it has guns.

Except Kirito.

Because Kirito.

:commissar:

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Toshimo posted:

Except Kirito.

Because Kirito.

:commissar:

He has a handgun of some type but just so that he can distract people so he can go in for the melee kill.

edit: I wonder if the players who die by melee get biting sarcastic messages on how they died like in most shooters.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 23, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Myurton posted:

He has a handgun of some type but just so that he can distract people so he can go in for the melee kill.

He will have dual pistols with bayonets on them.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

He will have dual pistols with bayonets on them.

If only it was that clever.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Myurton posted:

edit: I wonder if the players who die by melee get biting sarcastic messages on how they died like in most shooters.
Not as much as those who blew themselves up I imagine.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

:getin:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Be sure to do your part, gentlemen. :patriot:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Genocyber posted:

Be sure to do your part, gentlemen. :patriot:

Not sure what the part is, but here goes!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You should have spoilered the solution.

Wait, what does a sudoku puzzle have to do with killing yourself over a second season of SAO?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ViggyNash posted:

Wait, what does a sudoku puzzle have to do with killing yourself over a second season of SAO?

I guess it's telling people to commit sudoku.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

:thejoke:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Guys, it's ViggyNash, let's spell it out.

ViggyNash posted:

Whoever wrote that intentionally replaced the word "sepukku" with "sudoku" for comedic effect. This works as a joke because both are reasonably well known japanese words that begin with s.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
You say intentionally, I say you give the average anime superfan too much credit.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You say intentionally, I say you give the average anime superfan too much credit.

I don't think anyone is giving anyone credit for the use of a current and tired Internet meme.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
I'm sure this has been asked already, but in the Extended Edition "review" episode, Suguha sends a text to Kazuto, just before he finishes talking to Kikuoka. A quick Google search doesn't bring anything up, but what does it say?

I've been putting this series off for quite some time, and now that I just marathoned the anime, I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. Guess I'll get out my tablet and start reading the LNs.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Arkitektbmw posted:

I'm sure this has been asked already, but in the Extended Edition "review" episode, Suguha sends a text to Kazuto, just before he finishes talking to Kikuoka. A quick Google search doesn't bring anything up, but what does it say?

Wasn't that to tell him to hurry up so he can have lunch with everyone?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Petiso posted:

Wasn't that to tell him to hurry up so he can have lunch with everyone?

No it was after they finished.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Arkitektbmw posted:

No it was after they finished.
I haven't see in the extra episode, though I thought it was just a swimsuit thing, but I guess if Kikuoka shows up there has to be some plot stuff.

It's probably Kikuoka texting Kirito to tell him to meet him at that cafe and to tell him about what's going on in GGO(Next Season's MMO)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dexo posted:

I haven't see in the extra episode, though I thought it was just a swimsuit thing, but I guess if Kikuoka shows up there has to be some plot stuff.

It's probably Kikuoka texting Kirito to tell him to meet him at that cafe and to tell him about what's going on in GGO(Next Season's MMO)

That happens at the very end, as the stinger.

The extra episode itself is basically a recap episode for the entire series, framed as Kirito explaining what happened to Kikuoka. The more "personal" bits that wouldn't make sense for Kirito to talk about are framed as the girls talking to each other at the pool. So it's just mostly a swimsuit episode.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

That's the first half, the second half is a short story of the group doing a quest in Alfheim, nothing too interesting, but it's cool seeing the Alfheim avatars of everyone, including Klein and Agil.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

July 5th is going to be the best day ever I am so hype

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sword Art Online is life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Should we make a new thread for it, or just use this one?

anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZRFHZzGAno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEjPJTpyMtY

Also Kirito is a hilarious goddamn nerd, he seriously bought/had made the same coat he got in SAO

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 3, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We should have a new thread for SAO, I will make the new SAO thread.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Beef Waifu posted:

You might want to consider putting a warning about tagging spoilers. SAO seems to attract a lot of light novel spoilers and discussion and untagged LN spoilers was an issue with this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Go ahead, I'm closing this one then.

• Locked thread