Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

This is written by the same guy as the Accel World fellow? I will enjoy this then, because I love the former show. :allears:

"Next time: Beater" :ughh:
I thought they said there was no magic. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I thought they said there was no magic. :downs:

I'm kind of disappointed we missed the first month or so as I assume a ton of people where killed just figuring the game out. (Or started killing each other Lord of the Flies style). From the little speech in the beginning about maybe a unlimited number of skills I assume some one would discover magic, archery, whatever as more and more people figure out just what the game rules are and how to bend/break them.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 9, 2012

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Bremen posted:

I assumed he meant a limited number of monster spawns. You really have to see an MMO launch to actually comprehend what they're like.

Edit: A quick GIS found this, apparently from the Aion launch.

Haha, the nostalgia. It was a similar but lesser bumblefuck for the US release (on my server). Kill stealing bonanza.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

JoeCool posted:

Yeah, I was thinking, everyone in the game would have 3 days (maybe more because they are sedentary) to live until they would die of dehydration. I'm sure if it's ever touched on we'll see people who don't get re hydrated by whoever in real life die.
I guess the game developer expected people to be hydrated and kept alive by other people? The premise of this anime is absurd in a huge number of ways that one more doesn't make much difference though. :)

(You'd expect the police to figure out a way to disable the helmets without frying the brains of the players. Or to get the assistants of the crazy game developer to help them hack into the server and log out the players without killing them. Not to mention the fact that one wouldn't expect a product that fries the brain of its user when it malfunctions to be approved for commercial release (one can imagine the class action lawsuit that would come from that). Or that the guy responsible would be able to set up and pull off his plan without anyone in his company that worked on the game noticing. Or the board of directors approving the sale of only 10K copies of the game, etc.)

Sakurazuka posted:

Hoping this ends up like MMO Battle Royale.
If they are competing for limited resources that would make sense. If I were the evil programmer responsible for locking the players in this deathtrap I'd have PCs give significantly better XP and drops than monsters in order to ensure a massacre.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Factor_VIII posted:

If they are competing for limited resources that would make sense. If I were the evil programmer responsible for locking the players in this deathtrap I'd have PCs give significantly better XP and drops than monsters in order to ensure a massacre.

from the first episode (and the translation of the first few chapters in manga form) the "evil programmer" didn't do it just to kill people he just legitimately wanted to create this situation and put 10,000 people into this world he made up to see what happens.

Just killing people would be easy and boring.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Yeah the premise of the show makes no sense at all but if they're simply going to use it as a springboard to FANTASY ADVENTURES then I guess I can just stop thinking about it.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Pyronic posted:

from the first episode (and the translation of the first few chapters in manga form) the "evil programmer" didn't do it just to kill people he just legitimately wanted to create this situation and put 10,000 people into this world he made up to see what happens.

Just killing people would be easy and boring.
Yes, if he just wanted to kill them then he could have just have had the headsets fry their brains once they had all logged in. I meant that he could have used such inducements in order to emulate the Joker from the 2nd Batman movie and turn ordinary people into vicious killers on a massive scale. He could have gotten his kicks out of that, though evidently that isn't what he wanted.

Jalisr
Dec 11, 2011
For those wondering about dehydration and such, spoilers from the novels: The government knows about the situation due to the creator broadcasting his message in the real world too, and the government wheels all of the players into a hospital to be cared for much like coma patients.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Jalisr posted:

For those wondering about dehydration and such, spoilers from the novels: The government knows about the situation due to the creator broadcasting his message in the real world too, and the government wheels all of the players into a hospital to be cared for much like coma patients.

If the helmet fries them if they're disconnected from the game, how do they move them? Other than that, yeah, I assumed that as soon as it became obvious what was going on there would be a major effort to keep the players alive.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well the helmets apparently have infinite battery life and laptops exist, though who knows how they transfer the connection without interrupting it if you were originally logged in through a desktop.

I think we're just not supposed to worry about those details.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Bremen posted:

If the helmet fries them if they're disconnected from the game, how do they move them? Other than that, yeah, I assumed that as soon as it became obvious what was going on there would be a major effort to keep the players alive.

The helmet has a battery, they don't need to remove the helmet to move them.

Digging this show, and what is presumably Mutta's VA as Cline.

The evil programmer is doing this I imagine for something halfway between For :science: and because is a psychopath who wants to see people suffer. And a quick clean death doesn't net him very much suffering I imagine.

Jalisr
Dec 11, 2011

Bremen posted:

Because of the internal battery, they have a few hours to haul each individual into a hospital. The battery is mentioned at some point in the episode, too.

EDIT: Answered already, whoops.

EDIT':

Sindai posted:

Well the helmets apparently have infinite battery life and laptops exist, though who knows how they transfer the connection without interrupting it if you were originally logged in through a desktop.

I think we're just not supposed to worry about those details.

In the novel, the creator mentions the transfer to the hospital in the initial broadcast inside the game too, and says that it will be performed in the two hour period that "he has given them." I think remember it later being mentioned that they were disconnected in some sort of limbo for their transfer, and if they did not reconnect within the two hours they would be fried anyway. That last part I could be making up though, I can't seem to find that part upon scanning through it again.

Jalisr fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 10, 2012

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, I was mostly curious about the connection rather than the battery. So yeah, it's probably one of those things we're not supposed to think about that much, like "why don't they just disconnect the battery". Because I can only imagine that given enough time engineers could figure out a way to disarm the helmet safely, especially considering they'll have plenty of copies to disassemble.

But that would make for a very boring story, so it's better to make with the boar grinding.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Don't forget guys, that I'm going to assume here the dev's can't patch the game which means this is probably open beta balance aka a complete disaster.

I wonder if they are going to release a terrible MMO by the same name to make some more free money when the show is over.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I wonder if they are going to release a terrible MMO by the same name to make some more free money when the show is over.
Since brain-frying headsets don't exist in the real world, will they have to rely on the honor system and ask the players to promise to kill themselves if their character dies?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Don't forget guys, that I'm going to assume here the dev's can't patch the game which means this is probably open beta balance aka a complete disaster.

Unlikely, SAO is Astonishingly grindy for a largely level-less game, it'd probably make for a decent RPG/Actionish hybrid single player game, but the only thing that makes it particularly special--even in universe--is that it's the first MMO that uses the full neural uplink to put you in your character's shoes. Later games are a hell of a lot more elaborate in what they do with the technology.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Factor_VIII posted:

Since brain-frying headsets don't exist in the real world, will they have to rely on the honor system and ask the players to promise to kill themselves if their character dies?

Players will have to pay their monthly subscription with bitcoins they have to farm themselves.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The only reason I even heard about this show was because someone mentioned to me that Kajiura was doing the music, and that part certainly didn't disappoint.

I like the premise. Certainly reminds me of .hack in a lot of ways, but more actiony and less plot. I'll be watching the next few episodes at least, and the whole thing if it's any good.

Hell, I'm just glad to see something that isn't KAWAII UGUU moeshit. Way too much of that coming out of Japan these days.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Wonder if this will be as disappointing as the comic, there are only a handful of chapters scanlated but it glosses over events and has characters that are entirely too carefree for their situation.

E: Basically I was expecting some gritty "Suicide Island the MMO" reading it; instead I got time skips and the same childish behavior you usually see in games. Then what was the point of the premise...?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 10, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
I went and hit Youtube and NicoNico and predictably enough I could only find it on NicoNico; Crossing Field, LiSa. I'm pretty sure it's just, really creative editing and not the proper full version but its good enough for my ipod to tide me over. Because well, it's LiSa :)

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Jackard posted:

Wonder if this will be as disappointing as the comic, there are only a handful of chapters scanlated but it glosses over events and has characters that are entirely too carefree for their situation.

E: Basically I was expecting some gritty "Suicide Island the MMO" reading it; instead I got time skips and the same childish behavior you usually see in games. Then what was the point of the premise...?

Yeah, if it helps The anime adaptation's going to incorporate the side-stories, which covers a lot of what happens in the time skips. The first book is pretty clearly "I'm trying to get the important parts in because I'm under a strict page-count limit", and the second volume fills all the holes in from before.

But yeah, keep in mind, you've got thousands of people--but they're not a representative sample of humanity, they're the guys who had enough money to get experimental technology and use it to get in on the ground floor of a cutting edge new Video Game.

Yeah, they're going to do childish poo poo from our point of view. The problem is that they're in a world that's deadly serious, and works on video game logic. Most of the people who treat it like the real world wound up in that first pile of casualties.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Alectai posted:

Yeah, they're going to do childish poo poo from our point of view. The problem is that they're in a world that's deadly serious, and works on video game logic. Most of the people who treat it like the real world wound up in that first pile of casualties.
The comic puts reckless (yet supposedly competent?) kids in prominent leadership positions and they do goofy kid stuff. It really doesn't fit the tone of the setting.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Prominent leader positions? The leaders of all the guilds that are actually making meaningful progress are all adults who treat this thing like the death world it actually is--even if they're approaching from the perspective of a hardcore gamer rather then a more militaristic one.

I think there's a couple smaller guilds that might do stupid poo poo, but IIRC, Most of them come to a bad end, SAO is not very kind to the stupid or the childish, unless the latter stays on the newbie floors.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
There's a preview out for episode 2. For those familiar with the original material, it's pretty clearly Aria in the Starless Night.

I'm a little disappointed it wasn't First Day, but that's understandable; that'd be about half an episode, and it'd be difficult to lead into anything else. But the fact that they're including Aria is a very, very good sign.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Now, a general question here, how artful are these swords? I will only continue watching if these are the most artful of swords.

(as in, do they actually use real swordsmanship styles? It'd suck if it was all just generic "glowy sword slash attacks" instead of actually incorporating actual fighting styles and the like.

Or is this not the type of sword art I am looking for?)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

pandaK posted:

Now, a general question here, how artful are these swords? I will only continue watching if these are the most artful of swords.

(as in, do they actually use real swordsmanship styles? It'd suck if it was all just generic "glowy sword slash attacks" instead of actually incorporating actual fighting styles and the like.

Or is this not the type of sword art I am looking for?)

It's difficult to tell where they'll take the adaptation, but styles are a pretty big thing in the source. For example, one-handed swords, two-handed swords, katana, curved swords, and rapiers are all described as having their own set of techs and their own styles, plus there's non-sword styles. The main character prefers to combine techniques so that they flow seemlessly into one another and don't give the enemy a chance to counter, and he tends to mix hand-to-hand in when he can.

Done well, that's pretty artistically swordy. Done badly, that'll just be technique spam.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
Then again, they might just have flashy moves that visually make no sense at all and the characters try to nonchalantly explain the most ridiculous feats of each over-hyped "Butterfly Wing Sky Cloud No Jutsu PENIS Imouto Chidooo-buttsex-oooori!!!!" when its just a crappy vertical slash...... which is probably dodged because everyone simultaneously experiences extreme slow-motion, (even the viewer can probably hum the Overture of 1812 in its entirety) or is miraculously blocked by supreme willpower. Its anime, I hope it doesn't turn out to be the latter.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ah, I just took a cursory browse through the manga, and it seemed to focus more on generic ~energy sword blast/slash~ attacks than actual sword-fighting. Depressing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is the girl in the OP His non-gamer sister coming to try to rescue him? That would be awesome instead of another romance thing, like in Fullmetal Alchemist.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is the girl in the OP His non-gamer sister coming to try to rescue him? That would be awesome instead of another romance thing, like in Fullmetal Alchemist.

No, she isn't Though there's a ton of girls in the Op, only two of them are really important though

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Alectai posted:

Prominent leader positions? The leaders of all the guilds that are actually making meaningful progress are all adults who treat this thing like the death world it actually is--even if they're approaching from the perspective of a hardcore gamer rather then a more militaristic one.
All important characters in the comic so far seem to be teenagers or kids. Except for Cline, who in his mid-20s is truly venerable for JRPGs.

I would expect more people his age for an MMO.

pandaK posted:

Ah, I just took a cursory browse through the manga, and it seemed to focus more on generic ~energy sword blast/slash~ attacks than actual sword-fighting. Depressing.
Yup, looks like nonsensical special attacks all the way.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 12, 2012

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
episode 2 was just released

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Okay I'll give, that was pretty drat stylish. Forced drama aside.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
Why DID he let the blue-haired guy die? He had a potion right there and everything. What purpose did that guy dying serve? Could have let blue-hair talk and then dumped the potion in him and served the same purpose without, you know, killing a person, for keeps, through inaction.

Aside from that though it was pretty awesome. Never thought I'd think equipping an item looked cool.

Fetucine fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 15, 2012

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
Fetucine spoilers please

but yea it looked like he pushed the hand with potion away

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

They really cut a lot out of Aria for that. The result wasn't bad, though; most of it was extraneous flavor stuff.

The early bits were a real loss, though. I'll spoil it, since it's possible they'll flash back to it.

Kirito first runs into Asuna when she's been fighting through the first floor for three to four days straight, killing everything in her way. She's replaced her sword several times because all of that murder keeps breaking the crappy low-level rapier she has. She's convinced that the game is unwinnable and they're going to all die eventually, especially since she was just borrowing the gear and game copy she's using, but if she's going to die, she wants to die fighting. She only stops when she literally collapses of exhaustion right in front of him.

It's basically the essence of cold-blooded :black101:.

Fetucine: SAO does not use a Earthbound rolling HP system. Dead is dead, even if your HP is still ticking down to 0. He pushed the potion away because it wouldn't have done anything.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ha ha ha, this episode delivers the terribleness I was expecting from the show. A loser who can't even make friends in a MMO trying to be a badass, since he poopsocked while playing the game and knows more than everybody.

diggingtrash
Jun 14, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

I guess the game developer expected people to be hydrated and kept alive by other people?

Yup. Exactly. Everyone got moved into hospitals.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ha ha ha, this episode delivers the terribleness I was expecting from the show. A loser who can't even make friends in a MMO trying to be a badass, since he poopsocked while playing the game and knows more than everybody.

I'm pretty sure he was trying to look like an rear end in a top hat on purpose, though. Also, in episode 1 he mentioned he only got to floor eight in two months, which doesn't seem all that high to me, though I wouldn't really know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
quote is not edit

• Locked thread