Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau

Endorph posted:

I just said that I liked her as a character, dude. I'm just saying, imagine if the situation was reversed - Asuna was the main character and Kirito was the love interest. Kirito was built up as this awesome fighter who had been in beta and could dual-wield and poo poo, but then he stood to the side awkwardly while Asuna handled everything save for a couple of scenes and some ~dramatic sacrifices~. That wouldn't strike you as odd?

I like Asuna, but I think that she was written pretty badly in some ways, to the detriment of both the show as a whole and her character arc.

I vaguely remember Asuna having solo adventures somewhere in the LN sidestories, and assuming they -ever- get around to that part in Progressive, she spent like 50 floors leading her guild as one of the premier frontliners while surviving, so there should be stories there, it's certainly heavily implied she's capable. None of which changes your actual point, of course.

She's awesome in Mother's Rosario, at least, where Kirito only gets to be Gandalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Zogundar posted:

So if that hadn't been a thing, would it have made a noticeable difference with most peoples' opinion? I felt largely indifferent about it. I just enjoyed the dramatic irony. :shrug:

The dumb incest subplot is hardly SAO's only problem. It's not even SAO's worst problem.

If you turn your brain off and enjoy the Chronicles of Videogame Jesus, it's great. But the instant you even try to take it as seriously as it wants you to, the whole thing falls apart. It's full of glaring plot holes and deus ex machina, the characters have the consistency of Jello pudding, and the rules of the world are completely arbitrary. Which is to say nothing about how the series treats its female characters.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
I greatly enjoyed Kayaba Akihiko as a villain, exactly the way he was written. :colbert:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Redcrimson posted:

The dumb incest subplot is hardly SAO's only problem. It's not even SAO's worst problem.

If you turn your brain off and enjoy the Chronicles of Videogame Jesus, it's great. But the instant you even try to take it as seriously as it wants you to, the whole thing falls apart. It's full of glaring plot holes and deus ex machina, the characters have the consistency of Jello pudding, and the rules of the world are completely arbitrary. Which is to say nothing about how the series treats its female characters.

I probably should have clarified that I meant only the second half.

occipitallobe posted:

People die in the first half when they're killed in the game. People don't die in the second half when they're killed in the game. There's no sense of urgency or risk after Aincrad is beaten, really. That was what made SAO worth watching in the first place, and what led to the characters actually doing poo poo. Sure, it's more slice-of-life than the second half with little vignettes here and there that aren't necessary to the overarching plot, but the second half is boring 'cause nobody is going to die.

I actually preferred it that way. Death always felt like a cheap gimmick in this show by its very nature. If it'd been a regular fantasy setting, there would have been less focus on characters exploding because everyone already understands that when you get hit in the face with a sword you die. But here the point had to be driven home, with people dying just to remind you that they can, and as a result the impact of death itself feels cheapened somehow. It was part of the reason I put the show on hold in the first place. After the third episode I assumed the rest of the show would be a violent bloodbath in every episode (Or is that cubicbath?) for no other purpose than to remind you oh no, this is SERIOUS! I think if whatsherface (The girl with the pet dragon) from the next episode had been killed I probably would have sent it to my dropped list, drought or no drought. After that I was just mostly bored until the arc ended. I don't inherently dislike slice of life. I merely didn't feel like it worked here.

The second half did have a sense of urgency and risk. As was already pointed out, Kirito had even less time to work with compared to the first half because there were only two weeks before Asuna would be married away to a skeeve (Plus he wasn't always in the game like he used to be, so that's even less time.) Also I suppose there were bad things happening to her in the meanwhile. And while dying in the game may not have been permanent, it was still another delay and setback that count against the time limit. Admittedly the statloss and death penalties were not focused on to the degree death was in the first half, and the particulars were left unclear, but perhaps they didn't need to be elaborated on.
On top of that, the villain was working on some memory manipulation project. Even though Kirito wasn't aware of it, we the audience knew that if he took too long, he'd find himself in some kind of downer scenario once he got there. I was honestly surprised that never ended up being used.

Plus the "no death" thing had not one but two takebacks at the end anyway.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If GGO and Mother's Rosario are ever animated they probably resolve most of the issues. The Author even admitted that he had been writing female character's pretty poorly.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

If GGO and Mother's Rosario are ever animated they probably resolve most of the issues. The Author even admitted that he had been writing female character's pretty poorly.

That's not unique to this author though. The fact he can realize such an issue and work to correct it puts him above most authors in writing capability.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

YouTuber posted:

That's not unique to this author though. The fact he can realize such an issue and work to correct it puts him above most authors in writing capability.

The author's commentary on stuff is really quite interesting. For example, two of the most common complaints about the series are that A) it's not much like a real MMO and B) Kirito is an invincible self-insert character. While nothing can actually excuse bad writing, the actual reason it's written this way is because the author was low-to-mid level noob in whatever game he played who had no idea what he was doing. However, he looked up the high level players who strolled through lowbie zones one-shotting everything while giving away useless junk to other players. "Wouldn't it be cool to be someone like that?" is the basic thought they gave rise to series.

Ergo: the author actually identifies more with people like Silica, and Kirito is his weird fantasy of what being high level must be like. This is especially clear in the novels, where the vast bulk of the narration is given from the perspective of the girl-of-the-week. The author is in love with Kirito more than he wants to be him.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 21, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

The author's commentary on stuff is really quite interesting. For example, two of the most common complaints about the series are that A) it's not much like a real MMO and B) Kirito is an invincible self-insert character. While nothing can actually excuse bad writing, the actual reason it's written this way is because the author was low-to-mid level noob in whatever game he played who had no idea what he was doing. However, he looked up the high level players who strolled through lowbie zones one-shotting everything while giving away useless junk to other players. "Wouldn't it be cool to be someone like that?" is the basic thought they gave rise to series.

Ergo: the author actually identifies more with people like Silica, and Kirito is his weird fantasy of what being high level must be like. This is especially clear in the novels, where the vast bulk of the narration is given from the perspective of the girl-of-the-week. The author is in love with Kirito more than he wants to be him.

Well, I guess it could be worse: He could be the guy who writes Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, who clearly seems to be in love with his own ego/anus, complete lack of quality notwithstanding.

Having both read the novels and watched the show, I feel that as a whole, SAO was way better executed as an anime, whereas ALO lacked a lot more pizzazz that made the novel a bit more interesting. Without that, the 2nd part of the anime feels like it lacks certain urgency, despite the danger that we're told lies ahead; poo poo, even Takehito Koyasu feels like he's on auto-pilot at times (not surprising given the fact he was portraying DIO at around the same time).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Kayaba was literally Warp Splinter. Which was cool as gently caress.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I must be weird because I would watch the show following Kirito exploring the world floor by floor and figuring out how poo poo worked. I was pissed when they would skip huge segments of the dungeon in the beginning. I also like the idea of him going back to the earlier floors every so often to completely power level whatever the issue of the week was in bad rear end fashion. That would never get old to me...the episode when all the PKers were attacking him and doing like no damage while he calmly explains why they are basically at his mercy was pretty awesome/chilling. Against the backdrop of basically children killing each other, this seemed to waste a lot of potential.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

LorneReams posted:

I must be weird because I would watch the show following Kirito exploring the world floor by floor and figuring out how poo poo worked. I was pissed when they would skip huge segments of the dungeon in the beginning. I also like the idea of him going back to the earlier floors every so often to completely power level whatever the issue of the week was in bad rear end fashion. That would never get old to me...the episode when all the PKers were attacking him and doing like no damage while he calmly explains why they are basically at his mercy was pretty awesome/chilling. Against the backdrop of basically children killing each other, this seemed to waste a lot of potential.

I agree with you there. They could have done 24 episodes of Kirito and occasionally company exploring the world, fighting cool poo poo, and meeting people.

Instead we got incest, tentacle rape, and actual rape. Oh, and the man responsible for 4000 deaths gets to return as a god figure in a deus ex machina. :suicide:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, the author is rewriting SAO so that every single floor gets covered, though not necessarily as a boss-clearing story.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Seems likely that it'd be a mix of actually well, living in the game world, rather than sudden jumps between climatic moments.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
By the way, there is another show sort of similar to this, called Log Horizon.

So far it's pretty meh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dexo posted:

Alicization is pretty great. The writer still has a few of his lingering issues but the perspective of that world is really amusing at the least like the whole aspect of the humans in that world seeing the system's commands and windows as divine powers/magic. However there are a few cringeworthy scenes still (like in chapter 5, if you've read it you know the part).

It'd be nice if Concerto of Black and White, or Rondo of the Transient Sword were to get some more development and some episodes made. Rondo is a decent setup for fleshing out what sort of stuff took place in Aincrad, even early on, with stuff like people scamming other players.

e: The author also has another series called Accel World. It seems ok, and takes place in the same fictional setting but is a few decades later (a character refers to the SAO incident at one point) and some of the stuff in it seems to be very blatant. If the main female character doesn't turn out to be the daughter/relative of Kirito and Asuna, considering the very blatant avoidance of any info about her family or even her actual name when it comes up (or that her persona is a black figure with two sword(arm)s, I'll be surprised.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 22, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

By the way, there is another show sort of similar to this, called Log Horizon.

So far it's pretty meh.

Yet still better than the second half of this show.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Yet still better than the second half of this show.

Well, of the female cast, one is a twenty-something in a 12 year olds body (who is, of course, romantically attracted to the protagonist), two are airheads with big, bouncy tits and one is a loli of undetermined age playing maid for a furry. There is potential.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I really, legitimately like the first arc of SAO a lot. I like the time skips, vignettes, and general fast pace, and how the romance was handled. I wish the 2nd arc didn't exist or was written better. I usually just recommend only the first arc and then the last episode when I tell people to watch it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Argas posted:

Well, the author is rewriting SAO so that every single floor gets covered, though not necessarily as a boss-clearing story.

Actually, I like the idea of using the world of Aincrad as a collection of short stories framed around the main SAO series. I'd love to see how this goes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Barent posted:

I really, legitimately like the first arc of SAO a lot. I like the time skips, vignettes, and general fast pace, and how the romance was handled. I wish the 2nd arc didn't exist or was written better. I usually just recommend only the first arc and then the last episode when I tell people to watch it.

If you have time you should read Fairy Dance. It's far less creepily handled though(hard to fanservice up a book) Plus there is a whole Excalibur side arc that the anime completely skipped.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dexo posted:

If you have time you should read Fairy Dance. It's far less creepily handled though(hard to fanservice up a book) Plus there is a whole Excalibur side arc that the anime completely skipped.
This. If you have any interest in this series past the anime, read the Fairy Dance novels. The anime skipped out on a lot of important plot elements and scenes in order to focus on the stuff that everybody hates. Some of these plot elements are actually important to later arcs in the series. If you don't care about reading Fairy Dance, at least try to find some sort of abridged notes on differences between the anime and the novels. I don't remember if there was anything other than the underground area that was skipped, although I do remember being annoyed at a bunch of cut content, but I couldn't find a list via a Google search, so I would say just read or skim through it at least once.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

...I actually did read the Fairy Dance novels, but I can't think of a single thing off the top of my head that made it better than the anime. Well, it had some more narration about the details of the game setting and mechanics, but those were also cut from the Aincrad arc. Oh, and the pointless sidequest thing. Honestly that kind of annoyed me in the book though so I didn't mind it being cut.

Overall, it stands out in the series as by far the worst arc. There's not really much that can change that, other than the writer going on to write something even worse.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 23, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

...I actually did read the Fairy Dance novels, but I can't think of a single thing off the top of my head that made it better than the anime. Well, it had some more narration about the details of the game setting and mechanics, but those were also cut from the Aincrad arc. Oh, and the pointless sidequest thing. Honestly that kind of annoyed me in the book though so I didn't mind it being cut.

Overall, it stands out in the series as by far the worst arc. There's not really much that can change that, other than the writer going to write something even worse.

Considering he began as pretty much an amateur, he can only go up from there.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
:ssh: the "pointless sidequest" gets cashed in pretty nicely in a later volume.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wolf on Air posted:

:ssh: the "pointless sidequest" gets cashed in pretty nicely in a later volume.

That's not a terrible sidestory, but it also didn't actually require any of that set-up? It would be simple enough to rewrite as a stand-alone story, and it doesn't retroactively make that part of Fairy Dance not a horrible waste of time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dexo posted:

It's ok because it also meant skipping the Jotunheim stuff and the flying pet thing (or I skipped that episode completely).

Reading Fairy Dance doesn't help, the creepy poo poo's still creepy and things like the fight with Eugene is still cheesy with the recurring theme of Kirito fights against someone who's strong, isn't winning, dual wields, wins. There's a fight in Alicization coming up in the next chapter or two and if the same poo poo doesn't happen there I'll be so very happy because a story where the hero keeps using the same trump card gets old quickly. He even does improvised dual wielding in the Excalibur side arc. It's so out of place that even his own party(klein I think?) has a "what the gently caress how did you do that" reaction to it.

Skipping to the end of Fairy Dance, and then going right on to the next story arc won't make you miss anything of importance unless you like Suguha for some reason. There's some Aincrad side-story stuff that ties in to the next arc but the anime covered it in one of the episodes back in that first season.

Once the guy finishes his current arc it'd be nice to see Aincrad fleshed out more. His writing's definitely getting better and even doing one-off stories about different characters and groups that don't involve Kirito would be cool. Klein basically leads a group of RL friends through SAO and manages to avoid getting anyone killed despite them being in raid groups at different points (like the floor 75 boss) so some side story abut a group of friends trying to not die while working together would make for an interesting alternate to Kirito the Beater, or at least some story from once the SAO players got beyond Kirito's beta end point, putting everyone in to the complete unknown.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

GGO and likely Mother's Rosario confirmed for 2014

GET HYPE FOR MORE STUPIDITY

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm going to be really disappointed if Kirito doesn't end up dual-wielding desert eagles in the gun game.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

it's a semi-auto pistol in one hand and a straight up blue lightsaber in the other.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Sindai posted:

I'm going to be really disappointed if Kirito doesn't end up dual-wielding desert eagles in the gun game.
He is more likely to cut bullets in half with this Katana, like a good weeabu should.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sindai posted:

It's so much loving better and stupider.

Get hype.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Wait, is that him? Does Kirito play a lady?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

KoB posted:

Its a guy. Yep.

Mother's Rosario may be good. I don't recall any creepiness from the Light Novel.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I really doubt we will get Mother's Rosario. If GGO isn't long enough to fill a full season, my guess would be Excalibur. I remember GGO was pretty long, and Mother's Rosario also having a decent length. If they try to do both, it will just be another time crunch.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

KoB posted:

Maybe now that he's got a girl avatar he'd get less girls throwing themselves at him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

veekie posted:

Maybe now that he's got a girl avatar he'd get less girls throwing themselves at him.

Trying not to spoil things but nooope

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Nalin posted:

I really doubt we will get Mother's Rosario. If GGO isn't long enough to fill a full season, my guess would be Excalibur. I remember GGO was pretty long, and Mother's Rosario also having a decent length. If they try to do both, it will just be another time crunch.

without getting into spoilers, the ggo books are the same length as the first "arc", 2 books in length. Fairy dance was also 2 books, so the first season had 4 in total. The next 4 are GGOx2, Mother's Rosario and the side book thing.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Dexo posted:

Trying not to spoil things but nooope

He's well due for some manlove.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Paper Lion posted:

without getting into spoilers, the ggo books are the same length as the first "arc", 2 books in length. Fairy dance was also 2 books, so the first season had 4 in total. The next 4 are GGOx2, Mother's Rosario and the side book thing.
Ah. I just checked and you are right. It has been a couple years since I read the novels and I forgot how short some of the stories are. Well, hopefully we don't get a rush job like the first season that cuts out lots of plot for time.

I wonder if they are going to squeeze Caliber in there or if they might instead option for an OVA release. I could see it both ways. I really hope they do cover it as it was a fun little story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

veekie posted:

Hahahahahah

• Locked thread