Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I noticed that they're streaming this on Crunchyroll, so I might switch to a premium membership for this.

I really liked .hack but I thought it had all style and no substance. I hope this series can deliver on the awesome story .hack should have had with at least half the style.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Demicol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

...the whole "gently caress beta testers, they know things we don't and that makes them our enemy for some reason" thing feels really dumb and forced. Even if he was a total rear end in a top hat, wouldn't you want to keep the guy who knows how to beat the game as close to you as possible so you could beat the game and not die? What's the issue?

As a plot device, I agree. However, these people are remarkably articulate for MMO playes. :v: Judging from the griefing thread, you can definitely find some players that are just completely moronic. Maybe his epenis was in danger so he did the butthurt thing instead of the logical one? I think a more realistic scenario would have players be more unpredictable, but that wouldn't really be helpful to the story!

Srice posted:

Speaking of the gently caress beta testers thing, the explanation for the word "beater" made me cringe so hard. I could not believe my ears.

I so wished that the term "poopsocker" would make it into the show. Drat.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Then again, unlike real MMO's SAO has removed the anonymity that makes griefing and reckless stupidity consequence free. You only have one identity, your character has your face and your life is literally on the line. So it follows that there'd probably be considerably less random dickery in SAO than in a typical online game.

Agreed. I think having everyone's face become visible definitely cuts down on griefing. There might be a few people who PK just to see what happens. By unpredictable people, I was actually referring to panicked people. In historical disasters, you see a lot of crowds blocking entrance ways, looting, and unfortunate individuals getting trampled.

But I digress! Episode 2's better than the 1st, while it still feels a bit melodramatic, there's those nice action scenes pow pow slice! blam hahaha woo woo

Um. I think I'll keep watching for now.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Edit: Nevermind...

Storgar fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 16, 2012

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Oh god damnit, I barely started watching the show and there's already fan fiction of people loving being posted. Great.

Fake Edit: Wait, what? That's canon...? What the gently caress. :negative:

Real Edit: Okay, so I was thinking about this for some reason. Wouldn't the ability to have sex with people just make the situation worse?

...ADTRW > Sword Art Online - Rape as a Game Mechanic

Goooooons! :argh:

Storgar fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 17, 2012

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Right. Forgot about that. Maybe the creator was just trying to collect data on the human condition? :v:

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Detailed melee combat would be completely awesome. It baffles me to see how people can find MMO's (like WoW) fun to play where you just go around clicking things as fast as possible. Having to only press a single button to perform really complex moves just sucks all the fun out of it for me...

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Jeek posted:

Detailed combat is way more difficult to program than you'd think. Any serious attempt of that in the real world would probably end up as Toribash: the MMO.

It doesn't have to cover the full body. Just a few different buttons for high/low kick/punch/slash and some nice dodging moves would float my boat. It's just that a lot of games have exclusively one button you press repeatedly to do a 3 hit combo and that's it. I really like playing Metal Gear Solid because it really feels like you're sneaking around, but apparently people think the controls are too complicated? :eng99: (I'll admit that the controls are pretty clunky though.)

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Sindai posted:

The best part of the entire episode was the unbelievably goofy face that one Holy Dragon Something Something guy without a helmet had.

Hey, you got Airbender in my Sword Art Online!

I'm gonna feel like an rear end in a top hat for saying this, but I felt like this entire episode was one bad mishmash of incredibly tired anime cliches... If the source material is like this, I guess there's really not much the anime can do.

Wasn't Klein's name crossed out at the end of Ep. 1? Maybe I'm mistaken. I guess, that'll be a recurring plot point then.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Dang, those people must have massive balls for still going to PvP arenas.

Also, looks like Charles Barkley is back. :3:

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Sorry, I was talking about the bald dude getting more scenes. Bad joke! v:shobon:v

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

It was a bad joke because Charles Barkley's most defining characteristics are his fat rear end and his charisma, neither of which this character had.

Whoa, youngin'. Did you know Charles Barkley used to play basketball instead of just talking about it? This was when basketball was good. He also used to be skinny:

I think the bald dude is pretty charismatic. He stood up for the beta players when that orange haired dude started blaming them and basically kept everyone else who was in the room from rioting. He also seems to be friends with Kirito and an expert blacksmith. On top of that, he seems to be a pretty popular character 'round these parts. :colbert:

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Considering that I've been a Suns fan since moving to Phoenix in '94 and I've personally met Charles Barkley, yes I know all that. It also doesn't help your case when countering my claim of him literally having a fat rear end by posting a picture of the upper half of his body :mmmhmm:

Ah, I misread that as you saying he was known for being fat instead of you saying something specifically about his rear end. I don't feel like googling for pictures of Charles Barkley's butt right now, so sorry everyone else is gonna have to just imagine what it must be like to personally gaze upon his rear end in the flesh. I still think Agil (I found out his name yay) is pretty charismatic though.

Furthermore, I appeal to you with evidence of a visual similarity between the two as I demonstrate below:

I rest my case. :v:

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Whoops, I didn't realize Episode 6 was out already (looks like ep 7 is out too). It was noticeably more enjoyable for me than the first five! Congratulations, SAO. :toot:

I appreciate how they at least tried to make is seem like the uguu otaku elements were necessary for the plot. I was actually excited right until near the end when we find out Grimrock's motive for killing Griselda. "I had to kill my waifu because she was having too much fun being stuck in a video game. A bloo bloo bloo". :psyduck: Also, "She was the perfect wife. Pretty, submissive..."
:cawg:

e Episode 7: What the gently caress

Storgar fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 19, 2012

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Duh guys, if Asuna didn't give up her high position in the most powerful guild and start being helpless instead of an authoritative combatant she grew into, how could our wonderful hero, Kirito, protect her? It's clear that they're gonna get married and then hold hands or whatever it is that tiny uguu people do.

Oh yeah, did anyone think that last scene of Episode 9 was really awkward? Haha, I couldn't stop laughing when they had Asuna hanging off of him while he had an entire conversation with somebody. She didn't move for the longest time. I was beginning to think she might have died. :ohdear:

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

That's a stanky mega bam bam to the j-stop.

No... NOOOOOOOOOO STOP IT AUUUGH :gonk:

devilmaydry posted:

It was awkward, but I thought it made sense, she's been authoritative and everything but she's always cared for Kirito. That much is obvious.

Oh, I totally agree. It wasn't the hug I was wondering about, but the part afterward where Kirito just nonchalantly has a conversation while she's trying to have a moment. That part still makes me laugh.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I feel like this is starting to feel like a show now, instead of a miniseries. Also, when Asuna talked about the Divine blade being overpowered, I just couldn't help but imagine them communicating like they were talking through in game chat.

[Asuna] says: yea, leik divine blade is soo unbalanced
[Kirito] says: omg ttly
[Godfrey] says: omg wtf u nub stop pk me la
[Kurahdeel] says: Allahu Ackbar!
[Kirito] says: fuckking goons
[Kurahdeel] says: kekekekekekeke
[Godfrey] says: MY UNCLE WORKS AT MICROSOFT U FUKKING FAGET
[Kirito] says: OoooOOOOoooOoO

[Kirito] says: holy hsit that was close
[Asuna] says: omg i cant belive you pkd him Lol
[Kirito] says: lol
[Kirito] whispers: hey gurl u wanna cyber? ;)
[Kirito] says: hey wake up
[Kirito] says: p\oke
[Kirito] says: \pkoe
[Kirito] says: f
[Kirito] says: uck
[Kirito] says: *gently caress
*You poke her in the face with your finger*
[Asuna] says: rear end

:haw:

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

User0015 posted:

Speaking of .hack, how good was the rest of the series?

In my opinion, .hack//SIGN was the high point of the franchise. (I like .hack//SIGN but, think of it as in the same way a tree is the highest point of a desert.) All of the games are absolute rubbish, even though .hack//GU is slightly better than the first 4 games. The second (legend of the twilight) anime is standard uguu moe stuff that has almost no plot, and a lot of the side material (.hack//Liminality, .hack novels) touches on the "main mystery" of The World, but are devoid of substance and ultimately unsatisfying. I haven't played the psp game. Actually, I heard .hack//ZERO or .hack//CELL (novels/manga, I think) are somewhat interesting. I don't remember why, though...

Basically, everything original in .hack was established in .hack//SIGN. All of this original story material can fill maybe 5 paragraphs and it is spread out over an obscenely wide array of media. It's a real shame, because they have top notch musicians and artists on their team, but no writers. You should just watch Accel World for free on Hulu if you're looking to kill some time between SAO episodes...

I kind of wish SAO spent some more time adding in characters, especially since Kirito was drafted into a guild. I think it could be interesting to see a bigger picture about how different people cope with being trapped in the game and how they change over time. Most of the secondary characters end up dying, which I think is useful for constantly reminding the audience of how dangerous it is, but it's getting to the point where none of these characters are interesting because they just show up and die. It would be cool if Kirito was forced to party/raid with a bunch of kooky internet people in KoB or something. You could really do a lot personality-wise with characters you might encounter in this scenario.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I don't really know what Sword Art Online is doing differently, but its' really ramping up! I wonder if they switched out writers/directors/started following the source material more closely? Either way, it's amazing. That thing they did with Yui was already done to death with .hack, but I think SAO handled it much, much better. I even somewhat cared about her after only 2 episodes.

Oh yeah, and this:

http://i.imgur.com/MaXbo.gif
ARGLEBARGLELFGHBEBLEBLEBLBERBRLBRLEBR

Who's menacing now? :colbert:

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I love how, when Kirito asked Kayaba why he did all of this, Kayaba just sighed and went "I forgot lol :iamafag:". I have to admit, it's better than having some sort of melodramatic back-story about how he is an unfeeling scientist and needs to better understand the human condition or something. Onto the next vidya game!

So are we completely done with Sword Art Online or do it and Kayaba come back at some point? It'd be funny if SAO was never mentioned again...

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I was skeptical after hearing people talk about the direction this series was going, but I thought this episode was pretty good. The explanation for why he ends up going into ANOTHER game after being trapped in one for 2 years is perfect.

nielsm posted:

Episode 15:
That was pretty interesting, and I see where it's going.

But JAPAN :argh: "We're not actually siblings, but cousins, and I'm kinda in love with him I think." :gonk:
Please tell me that wasn't in the novels.

I agree. When you look at Accel world, SAO Season 1, and this episode it's obvious that the author really likes this harem poo poo, huh?

Storgar fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 13, 2012

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

WitchFetish posted:

New OP, I hope you guys like pointy ears :v:

Also Kirito would have been perfectly justified in murdering that douchebag right there and right now. Seriously, next time you see him, pull out a knife and shank the bastard.

Haha, that's what's great about this episode! He's so used to just beating things up with his sword, but I really like how the author portrays Kirito having to deal with money and power in the real world. Usually in dot hack, we see the story be instantly resolved when the game ends, but there's fallout here that we have to deal with. I really like that.

I also don't really care if the trope is turned on its head. Almost every female character that this guy writes (in all his stuff) is basically just there to fall in love with the main character. I liked his sister's character when they were sparring, up until that reveal. It's just really obnoxious. I just have to roll my eyes every time some chick goes up to the main character and cries in his arms.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
That's not worse. That's loving hilarious!

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
http://i.imgur.com/znQqQ.png

Lookit her just sittin' there. :3:

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I think the real villain of the series is Kirito's little sister. Every female he meets through the course of the series (except Asuna) ends up being an incarnation of her in some form or another. Finally, delusional and suffering from intense paranoia and after being cockblocked for the last time, he snaps and develops his own version of a death-MMO, trapping everyone in a world where his sister does not exist. He is then defeated in an in-game duel by none other than his sister.

Storgar fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 2, 2012

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Oh holy poo poo, I agree completely. I think it's one of my favorites in a while. It makes finishing an episode so much better.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Gearhead posted:

This is something which will come up again later, but it's also been said that you can tell a lot about what a person is REALLY like from the games they play and HOW they play them. Well. What does it tell you about a person in a full immersion VR game who turns into a complete shitheel?

It tells me that this person is probably a goon.

But seriously, SAO and a 'regular' MMO are different. The belief that people show their true colors when in a life and death situation applied then, even if SAO was still considered a game. But who cares when we're playing Alfheim?

Maybe someone could be a dick because they're immature, or maybe they're blowing off steam by being a douchebag because their job sucks. Bottom line: At worst I'd try and grief the poo poo out of someone who was ~serious rp'ing~ because they're obnoxious and this game has no repercussions from dying and at best I'd avoid this person altogether.

I have to admit though, Kirito's battle scream deserves some mad props. :black101:

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Gearhead posted:

Well, yes, and to Kirito.. who has had to deal with murderous bastards who actually killed someone, it triggers his 'This guy might try to poison me and stab me in the junk.' warning.

You are correct. But I still don't think that these qualities are anything to revere Kirito for, at least not anymore. What made the previous arc interesting was that people needed to reconcile the fact that the game was intended for fun and then became deadly. People had to adjust to that. If he is still playing the game to survive, then Kirito is not adjusting like he should. What is important now is not that everyone survives (in the game), but that he gathers a group together and comes up with a strategy to beat Dio and save Asuna without any IRL backlash.

Whether or not someone is ~*JUSTICEFUL*~ because of their game actions is no longer relevant and I think reading into someone's character based on their in game actions falls back to being bs. I feel like they've been slowly pushing towards the idea that brute strength isn't enough in this situation and that they need some tactics/strategy.

Then again, this is SAO. I'm sure the novels have Kirito just bust in and hack everyone to pieces. Or overcome some insurmountable obstacle by trying really, really hard.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

:stare: That's deep.

Dexo posted:

If he was truly angry or whatever he wouldn't have immediately after the fight started laughing and joking around with the dude who was left alive.

Oh yeah, that's true. I guess he's just very perseverant?

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

nielsm posted:

Worst possible.hack style ending: She pushes the Log Out button, end credits roll.

Fixed that for you...

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Oh god. No. Nonononononononono. I am NOT playing that. It's like .hack all over again. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
:stare: Welp, he did it. He finally saw those boobies.

It's a good thing I'm a lonely neckbeard who lives by himself, and not, like, a Japanese teenager who is trying to watch this in the living room with his parents around.

Invoking Heathcliff's account and Sugou trying to summon Excalibur was pretty neat. I really like it when stories start building lore from earlier on-screen events.

vvv Haha, yeah. That screaming was awesome. It's a very specific scream, like one of an english gentleman suddenly finding out that there is a large cow turd in his soup or something. As expected of Dio's voice actor!

Storgar fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 15, 2012

• Locked thread