Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Getting past the checkout screen without getting an error is hands down the hardest la mulana puzzle in either version

edit: there it goes

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sie
Apr 26, 2009

Honestly never heard of La-Mulana until I read this thread but that beginners video was enough to pique my interest. So I just bought it and I'm going in blind. Everything about the game looks right up my street.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Dammit the third boss is much harder as well. The hitbox for throwing shurkiens is TINY compared to the original. It's easier (and more dangerous) to whip his face but that makes me die fast.

And hearing that Bahamut is harder is making me cry. I dread fighting that guy in the original :(

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Spoilering this advice request to be safe:

I've beaten the Mausoleum, the Temple of the Sun, Guidance Gate, and I've gotten to the boss in Spring in the sky. I've gotten 2 seals so far, but now I've got no idea where to head next. Endless Corridor, Twin Labyrinths and Chamber of Extinction all seem like they require stuff I don't have, and I'd rather not go back into that inferno place again unless it's the only way I can go right now. Or is there anywhere else I can do?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If the progression is anything like the original (which I'm discovering is slightly different in places) you can go through the Inferno Cavern to get a nice item that will help you in that area. If you have the mirror, begin exploring the backside worlds for more stuff. You should also be able to enter the Twin Labyrinth from right after the 3rd boss and rush that poison gas area for another item that will help you progress in that area.

This is all based on my knowledge of the original and I'm already discovering that a number of items are moved around in this updated game so my help may not be of much help. At the least do the first bit I mentioned because I've confirmed that part to be true. I'm not far enough for the other two suggestions.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bahamut is really drat frustrating, though he is beaten now. So far the only correct answer I see as far as he goes is use flares. Oh btw, you'll need 42 of them :suicide:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Just bought this and got started. I'm already stuck, but I'm going to go back and explore some more.

And oh hey, I remembered how to open the shortcut into the Guidance Gate from the Surface! Except with the grail warp now it's pointless really...

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This may have been asked but does this support xbox 360 controllers?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Madcosby posted:

This may have been asked but does this support xbox 360 controllers?

Yep, full native support. That's how I'm playing it now. Didn't even go to the options menu to set it up.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Dominic White posted:

Yep, full native support. That's how I'm playing it now. Didn't even go to the options menu to set it up.

It works with other gamepads too, I just had to configure my logitech in the in-game menu. It's really nice to be able to play this game without having the same button mapped for jumping and climbing ladders.

I still haven't beaten the giant, can't remember his name. He has a new attack now that kills me every time, I can't avoid it. I may have to go find another health upgrade in the Temple of the Sun or something.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm having a ridiculous time with Sakit. I can get past the original portion of the boss just fine, but as soon as his mask falls off I die to his stupid fist and can't seem to get close to his face without getting knocked back.

Any tips, or is this just a boss fight I come back later for when I'm more well equipped?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

General advice for bosses: come back with more health, bring the Axe when you do. I know it was useless in the original but trust me on this.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Control Volume posted:

I'm having a ridiculous time with Sakit. I can get past the original portion of the boss just fine, but as soon as his mask falls off I die to his stupid fist and can't seem to get close to his face without getting knocked back.

Any tips, or is this just a boss fight I come back later for when I'm more well equipped?

Oh ok, that's his name. Also yeah, that's where I die every time. However there's a really important thing that you're missing when the boss changes. Try your other weapons

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
spoilered help request

I got the anti-lava cape from the Inferno Cavern and found the tablet there, but I'm guessing the Twin Labyrinths were changed, since I can only access a single room through the Temple of the Sun, and it doesn't seem to contain anything but poison gas.

I also found out how to access backside areas, but I can only find the Temple of Moonlight, and it seems to require items I haven't got yet. Anywhere else I can look?

Elswyyr fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Haven't played this version yet, but if it's the same, you can just skip the first few bosses until you have more health and stuff in general. The game is open ended enough where you can just actively avoid fighting difficult bosses for quite a while.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I didn't even think of using other weapons, that'll learn me. Thanks for the tips, dudes.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm really liking the changes to the game so far. Most of it is familiar, but it isn't like someone who's played the original game will skate by this one. Not by a long shot. And I mean more than just changing the order of some items, tweaking some puzzles, and improving the bosses.

I think most existing players who enter the "Confusion Gate" for the first time will see what I'm saying.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

:stare:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Okay, how the heck do I solve the puzzle in the Guidance Gate with the 2 blocks? I see a third block's indentation or whatever in the room but I don't know how to make it appear and pushing one near the switch doesn't do jack because it lands 1 push away and it's blocked by a wall

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zeether posted:

Okay, how the heck do I solve the puzzle in the Guidance Gate with the 2 blocks? I see a third block's indentation or whatever in the room but I don't know how to make it appear and pushing one near the switch doesn't do jack because it lands 1 push away and it's blocked by a wall

Hint spoiler: You have to think outside the box...or the room, in this case.

Full spoiler: Kill the hard skeletons in the room west of the room you are in.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
How the gently caress do you make the jump to the birth seal without doublejump?

e: also the 5 chest puzzle in the temple of moonlight?

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 13, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just put up my review over at IGM.

http://www.indiegamemag.com/la-mulana-review/

As far as remakes/updates go, this is right up there with Bionic Commando: Rearmed, IMHO. I wonder if Nigoro could be leaned upon to release the official level editor, too? They've laid pretty much everything else open to modding, so that would be the one last thing we'd need...

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 13, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^ Dunno why they'd bother. No one did anything with the editor for the original game.

Klaus Kinski posted:

How the gently caress do you make the jump to the birth seal without doublejump?

You can make the jump from the top of the left waterfall to the left ledge. It's best to have the Knife and be hammering on it as you fall to catch the bird enemy on your way down. If you get sick of trying that you'll just have to wait until you beat Bahamut and fall straight down to the right ledge from the top of the right waterfall.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Has anyone been able to find the demo for La-Mulana Playism lists? I need it to check if my Mac can run the game using Crossover.

EDIT: Decided to buy it just to give Nigoro money. I can get it to run as long as it's in the same bottle as DirectX 9, but there's no sound and I can't interact with it, so I guess no La-Mulana for me.

Gyre fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 14, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Outstanding remake so far, though there are a couple things that perplex me a little. Having to collect the XP and there being so much less of it now begs the question of why they didn't just bother switching it to health pick ups in the first place? The best thing about this system is it lets you hold onto a large chunk of it and only pick up the xp to heal when you need it, but still. Sub weapon ammo seems a lot less plentiful this time around too, which is probably for the better since it was so easy to farm it with a couple of replenishing pots in the original.

Also, I both love and hate some of the new bosses. Some of them feel like they were made for some other game in which the main character has a lot better mobility. And what the hell is up with Anubis? I cannot seem to beat that rear end, no matter what I do I just end up getting pushed to the edge of the area and then pounded 2 or 3 times before I can get back behind him.

Not very nice of them to move around all the objects that I use to sequence break in the early game either.

Sumdian
Feb 13, 2010

Potential for Anything

Klaus Kinski posted:

e: also the 5 chest puzzle in the temple of moonlight?

On the off chance you haven't figured it out by now, you can climb up the ladder below the chests to get to the platform (it threw me off too).

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

^ Dunno why they'd bother. No one did anything with the editor for the original game.

Cause the editor for the original game is very basic, not user friendly, lacked any and all documentation, and IIRC wasn't even compatible with the english patch anyway. I had to figure out a bunch of poo poo on my own via reverse engineering and still haven't nearly finished figuring out everything.

If this is as easy to mod as is advertised, I'll just do something with this game rather than mess with the original :P

Sumdian posted:

On the off chance you haven't figured it out by now, you can climb up the ladder below the chests to get to the platform (it threw me off too).

Are you speaking with knowledge of the original game? Cause that puzzle is... different in this version...

The solution of placing the weights in the correct order is the same, but there's an additional step of making the pedestals appear in the first place. To do that, you need to use your scanner at four specific points in the Temple of Moonlight. There are four tablets scattered about (one of which is in Giant's Graveyard just cause Nigoro are evil like that) that each give hints as to where those four points are.

That's probably the new puzzle that's stumped me the most in this remake so far.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 14, 2012

Sumdian
Feb 13, 2010

Potential for Anything
Wow, they made the Bahamut fight pretty challenging in the remake. The first half of fight is pretty easy for me now, but the attack where he spits fireballs in the background is hard to dodge when the cave turns.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Are you speaking with knowledge of the original game? Cause that puzzle is... different in this version...
I thought he was just asking how to get up to the platform the chests are on.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
Anyone know where to find the Holy Grail? Its in the first area I've read but I've reached the mausoleum of giants...

2 hours in and I felt like I made no progress. :negative:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Vinchenz posted:

Anyone know where to find the Holy Grail? Its in the first area I've read but I've reached the mausoleum of giants...

Look for the skeleton that says something about finding a secret passage, and how the ruins are connected in strange ways. Snoop around there.

Now I'm stuck in the Spring in the Sky. I went into that little alcove that you used to put the weight in and it'd seal you inside, but let you turn the crank in the next room afterwards. Only, now that pedestal is locked by some strange bar or something and I can't figure out what it wants me to do.

Sumdian
Feb 13, 2010

Potential for Anything

Vinchenz posted:

Look for a skeleton who tells you about finding a way out (he's in a room with pushable blocks)there's a false wall behind him.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Look for the skeleton that says something about finding a secret passage, and how the ruins are connected in strange ways. Snoop around there.

Now I'm stuck in the Spring in the Sky. I went into that little alcove that you used to put the weight in and it'd seal you inside, but let you turn the crank in the next room afterwards. Only, now that pedestal is locked by some strange bar or something and I can't figure out what it wants me to do.

I'm not exactly sure what the sequence of events is but that strange bar disappeared for me when I got the water flowing from the top of the level.

Sumdian fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 14, 2012

kugutsu
Dec 31, 2008
My issues with the game randomly shifting into hyperspeed seem to have been caused by my monitor running at 120Hz. It runs fine if I temporarily switch to 60Hz, so if anyone else is having a similar problem they could try that.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
This game still rules, I can't believe I'm going through it again. Fortunately, it's been long enough since last time that I've pretty much forgotten everything. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. All kinds of things are ringing vague bells, like first time I got a red gem I went "Ooooh riiight, these things!" without actually knowing what the hell they're for. So now I'm just blundering around, got the Scalesphere, loads of red gems, three sub weapons.
Love this game.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

Thanks Sumdian and MonkeyforaHead. I have no idea how I was supposed to figure that out... guess this game really has to make you think.

Now my problem is not enough weights and low HP. D:

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Shanty posted:

This game still rules, I can't believe I'm going through it again. Fortunately, it's been long enough since last time that I've pretty much forgotten everything. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

This has been the best part to me, I still have a decent memory of a bunch of stuff but I don't remember anything past the first 20 or 30% of the game. I'm going to try my best to play through it without any help (won't last long I bet!)

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vinchenz posted:

Thanks Sumdian and MonkeyforaHead. I have no idea how I was supposed to figure that out... guess this game really has to make you think.

Now my problem is not enough weights and low HP. D:

Weights are super cheap, 10 gold gets you 5 of them. I seed my supply every once in a while since I never seem to find them fast enough.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'm one of the people who played the old version but never got past the first few screens. Maybe I'll give it another shot with this version. I bet it's a cool game if I can actually get into it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shanty posted:

This game still rules, I can't believe I'm going through it again. Fortunately, it's been long enough since last time that I've pretty much forgotten everything.

That was my experience going in, too. Which is great, as it makes even the unchanged stuff fresh. They've really rejigged a lot. Combat and platforming in general are tougher (before they got very easy after a point), but puzzles are a bit more intuitive, and the whole thing flows nicer.

Vinchenz posted:

This probably should go in the OP somewhere:

Dominic White posted:

Oh, three small but essential tips for starting players:

First: Watch the guide video. It's sassy, but helpful!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtAFGes3Xdo

Once you've got the scanner (it's on sale right by a pot that gives you exactly the required money), use it on just about everything. Tablets, unusual-looking pieces of decoration, corpses, etc. A lot of bodies will give you their last words. How they wrote it, I don't know. In fact, many of them will mention how they're already dead.

In the Guidance Gate (the starting area of the ruins), in a room on the right-hand side of the map, you'll find a message on a skeleton that mentions a secret escape route. The wall that it's leaning against is the hidden passage. Just walk through it, and you'll get the Holy Grail, probably the single-most lifesaving piece of equipment in the game. If you're ever low on health or just lost, use it to warp to safety.

The Real LA-MULANA Starts Here!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 14, 2012

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

Weights are super cheap, 10 gold gets you 5 of them. I seed my supply every once in a while since I never seem to find them fast enough.

Yeah I just found the shop. I almost lost it when I found out there was a screen to the left of the first screen. You can also get the Glyph Book in the shop there too that I didn't know about. -_-

Healing Spring too.

So, I found an app hidden near the beginning. It's called deathv.exe. Does it do anything other than take up RAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Any hints on how to open the chest outside chamber of extinction in sun temple or the 5 chest one in moonlight temple? I'm running out of places to search for stuff and killing bahamut didn't seem to open anything.

e: I just remembered another one at the start of inferno cave. Swing weapon left, swing weapon but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to do it :|

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 14, 2012

• Locked thread