Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Vinchenz posted:

Yeah I just found the shop. I almost lost it when I found out there was a screen to the left of the first screen. You can also get the Glyph Book in the shop there too that I didn't know about. -_-

Healing Spring too.

So, I found an app hidden near the beginning. It's called deathv.exe. Does it do anything other than take up RAM?

You can combine it with other apps for bonus effects. You'll see them glow and a sound will play when you find a combination. It's up to you to figure out what the combos and their effects are.

Or I just spewed most of them onto the wiki so if you want to spoil yourself outright you can do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh this is rich.

Twin Labyrinth spoilers: If you attempt to double jump to the shop with what I presume is the time lamp you get zapped. It even has a tablet that tells you that you need to solve the puzzle this time, as well as the fact that the puzzle in the original version didn't actually work.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Super Jay Mann posted:

Oh this is rich.

Twin Labyrinth spoilers: If you attempt to double jump to the shop with what I presume is the time lamp you get zapped. It even has a tablet that tells you that you need to solve the puzzle this time, as well as the fact that the puzzle in the original version didn't actually work.

Noooooooooooooooooo!

Half the fun of this new version is going to be finding new ways to get stuff early. The switching stuff around has already been confusing me and throwing me off sequence.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just wanted to mention in case anyone was in the same boat as me but you need to scan save points to have them show up as a teleport location and enable them to quicksave whenever you run past them. Simply saving your game isn't enough to have them show up as a teleport location.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Probably a super simple question, but is it possible to talk to villagers/people outside of tents in the beginning? I feel like I'm missing one of the buttons somehow?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I usually wait for games to go on sale or at least show up on Steam before buying them. But this sounds like it was pretty much designed just for me, so I guess I'll make an exception.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ShadeofDante posted:

Probably a super simple question, but is it possible to talk to villagers/people outside of tents in the beginning? I feel like I'm missing one of the buttons somehow?

Nah

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So uh, question about bosses again, what does beating them do? I've beaten the Guidance Gate, Sun Temple, and Masoleum bosses and I can't figure out what beating any of them did. They used to unlock eye gates, but all the eye gates I found in their corresponding areas are still closed.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Control Volume posted:

So uh, question about bosses again, what does beating them do? I've beaten the Guidance Gate, Sun Temple, and Masoleum bosses and I can't figure out what beating any of them did. They used to unlock eye gates, but all the eye gates I found in their corresponding areas are still closed.

You need the Bronze Mirror to open eye gates, remember? You used to get it after the third boss but it's in a different location now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Control Volume posted:

If it's the same as the original, beating bosses was pretty much only required to get access to the True Shrine of the Mother and had nothing to do with the eye gates.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

If it's the same as the original, beating bosses was pretty much only required to get access to the True Shrine of the Mother and had nothing to do with the eye gates.

I'm pretty sure that while the bronze mirror reveals the eye gates, they only actually open if the boss of whatever level the gate represents is killed. Note that whatever boss triggers a door doesn't necessarily correspond to where the gate actually is (that's what the number above the door is for!)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

efb

Ciaphas posted:

In addition to the Mirror you need to beat the boss of a given area/rear area pair to open the eye gate that connects them. Beating Bahamut opens the eye door between Inferno Cavern and it's rear side, which you need open to be able to fight Viy, who unlocks the Goddess Tower when he dies, which basically leads to the second half of the game. Worked like this in the original too.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 14, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I completely forgot about that I'll go shut up now :saddowns:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Okay I accidentally read a tablet twice when I shouldn't have and managed to kill the enemy that spawned (Anubis?).

So I kept playing and saving and now I discovered it spawned extra enemies everywhere. Is there a way to undo this or do I have to start over? It pisses me off because the enemies themselves are piss-easy to kill but it makes the game a slog to go through now. I knew enough not to read the tablet twice but when I was hint-scavenging I read it, forgetting what the original message was, and now this happened.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

Okay I accidentally read a tablet twice when I shouldn't have and managed to kill the enemy that spawned (Anubis?).

So I kept playing and saving and now I discovered it spawned extra enemies everywhere. Is there a way to undo this or do I have to start over? It pisses me off because the enemies themselves are piss-easy to kill but it makes the game a slog to go through now. I knew enough not to read the tablet twice but when I was hint-scavenging I read it, forgetting what the original message was, and now this happened.

There's no way to turn it off. It also increases the health of bosses and minibosses.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

tooooooo bad posted:

There's no way to turn it off. It also increases the health of bosses and minibosses.

Wait... all of them or just in that section? Did it do that in the original too? I always read it twice to be a smart rear end before, but I just didn't playing this version.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Yes, you activated hard mode on the entire game. The original did that too.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Congratulations, you've activated Fun Mode!*

*may or may not be fun.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Underwhelmed posted:

I always read it twice to be a smart rear end before

You should have learnt by know that when La-Mulana gives you a straight-up warning, it means it. This is just the one case where it carries through the most.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I don't recall it having that much of an effect at all in the original game outside of a few extra Anubis enemies strewn about.

Seems like the effects are much more severe in this version. I might have to consider replaying it with the tablet read.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

After finally digging a reasonable distance into the remake, I find myself wanting to just go back and pick up the original where I left off. It was easier dealing with the retarded save system, obtuse puzzles, claw gloves, and the cartridge collection than it is to have to go toe to toe with almost any of the revamped bosses or sub-bosses. Jesus CHRIST. Nothing like adding even more attack patterns where your enemy is invulnerable for prolonged periods.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, I've been cheesing the pistol like crazy. Once I run out of ammo though, I'm pretty much screwed. I've been trying to avoid most of the bosses until I'm a little ways deeper into the game so they're easier but even so it's a bit of a slog.

Thankfully I found a save when I hadn't activated hard mode so it worked out.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm loving the revamped bosses. Viy in particular I think is a FAR more fun fight here than in the original. Minibosses being far more than just a minor inconvenience is a welcome change as well.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think i'll wait on getting the Chain Whip for now because the miniboss guarding it is a pain at my current gear level. Just picked up the mirror though, so I've got plenty to explore later when i don't have to be up early in the morning.

Loving it all so far.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FPzero posted:

I think i'll wait on getting the Chain Whip for now because the miniboss guarding it is a pain at my current gear level. Just picked up the mirror though, so I've got plenty to explore later when i don't have to be up early in the morning.

Loving it all so far.

If you're patient, this guy isn't so tough.

The boss goes to the same center platform edge to throw his rocks. You can get to the edge, jump up, whip him once, and run away. If he hasn't thrown the rock in that center platform yet and you want more room to maneuver, just hang back on the platform up and to the right and throw shurikens at him. The chain whip is definitely worth it.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dominic White posted:

You should have learnt by know that when La-Mulana gives you a straight-up warning, it means it. This is just the one case where it carries through the most.

Huh, I've beaten the original at least half a dozen times, and I always double read that thing since all I thought it did was add more enemies to that section.

FPzero posted:

Loving it all so far.

Even easier: stand on the center platform, and after he gets a rock to throw, just pitch a single shuriken at his face. Then just jump the boulder toss. It takes a bit of time, and maybe 20 shuriken? pretty easy though once you get the timing. You don't even have to watch for falling rocks

Also, a little thing I was too stupid to catch at first, if the boss ain't flashing red when you hit it (as in some other color, like say blue) you might be missing an item needed to beat it.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 14, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have my SNES controller hooked up and set the configuration to be similar to Super Castlevania IV. It works well so far and it's kind of nostalgiac in a nerdy way.

B - Jump
Y - Weapon/Cancel
R - Sub-weapon/page right
L - Item/page left
A - Cycle sub-weapon/cancel
X - Cycle weapon/cancel
Select - menu
Start - pause

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

So I'm in the temple of the sun, what opens up the top of the pyramid to reveal the weight switch? I tried looking around and stuff said it would've been the same switch that opened the bottom of the pyramid but I think I already hit that one?

Axel K
Apr 15, 2007

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good god you guys weren't kidding about the boss difficulty being ramped up. Sakit is murdering my rear end. Hell, even Amphisbaena killed me once. :psyduck:

bring it on :black101:

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

spoilered help request

I got the anti-lava cape from the Inferno Cavern and found the tablet there, but I'm guessing the Twin Labyrinths were changed, since I can only access a single room through the Temple of the Sun, and it doesn't seem to contain anything but poison gas.

I also found out how to access backside areas, but I can only find the Temple of Moonlight, and it seems to require items I haven't got yet. Anywhere else I can look?

Reposting this from last page

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Ciaphas posted:

Good god you guys weren't kidding about the boss difficulty being ramped up. Sakit is murdering my rear end. Hell, even Amphisbaena killed me once. :psyduck:

Yeah I managed to beat Sakit but now I can't beat Ellmac. :saddowns:

Sorry but I haven't been in that part of the game since I played the original, I don't remember anything past the Temple of the Sun.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm starting to get into the swing of things. Part of the swing of things means whacking every wall that looks suspicious, some walls that don't look suspicious, and if that doesn't produce results, start walking into walls to see if they're fake.

I forgot how ridiculously well hidden some passages are in this game.

e: Does anyone remember where the flare store is?

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 14, 2012

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I tried to play the original but couldn't get into it because I hated the (lack of) controls for your character. I know the OP says you have more in air control, but how much more? In the original you can barely slow yourself while in the air, but in this can you actually change your direction?

I also didn't like how using your whip locked your character in place for the duration of the animation, so does it still do that in this one?

**********Ok I just watched a video and it looks like you can change your direction instantly in the air and the whip animation is at least a lot faster, so time to pick this up!

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 14, 2012

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Anyone figure out a good way to get money or know any hidden spots with lots of it (like the original would have 100 coin hidden pots). Since they changed how it works I can't reset to farm for gold and enemies rarely drop it and only 1-3 at a time. I suddenly have things costing over 300 and have no way to reliably get any.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

I tried to play the original but couldn't get into it because I hated the (lack of) controls for your character. I know the OP says you have more in air control, but how much more? In the original you can barely slow yourself while in the air, but in this can you actually change your direction?

I also didn't like how using your whip locked your character in place for the duration of the animation, so does it still do that in this one?

**********Ok I just watched a video and it looks like you can change your direction instantly in the air and the whip animation is at least a lot faster, so time to pick this up!

The whip animation is faster but there's a downside to that. It's a little trickier to kill enemies with the back swing. Also it's placed directly above you now instead of up and behind, but that only takes a little getting used to.

There is air control, but it's not a ton more. I don't actually like games that have really twitchy instant air control, and La-Mulana still doesn't have that. You can only ever change direction during the fall, not while going up in a jump. If it's a moving jump, pressing the opposite direction only slows you down. If it's a straight up and down jump, you have a lot more air control, and can move back and forth while falling fairly freely. Overall, I don't think it's changed a whole lot from the original game. Some more control, but not enough to really sway you much if you absolutely hated it before. I personally really enjoy the jumping controls, though. I still think you should give them game another shot, though. It's good enough that you ought to try to get used to the jumping controls. They're really not so bad.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So, I just cleared out the Gate of Guidance and killed the boss there by unloading a pistol at it - it lasted all of three seconds, I didn't even get to see it attack :v: Then, I saw that a reload costs 400 coins :suicide: I've been exploring the Spring in the Sky and managed to get the ankh gem and the caltrops, but nothing else, and I'm stuck - is it possible to do the areas in any order, or do I have to go do the sun temple and the mausoleum first, like I see everyone else on this thread doing? I was kind of surprised at how easy it was to get that ankh gem, though, considering how sneaky the Gate of Guidance was.

Only thing I've found other than odd chests/pedestals made unusable by weird metal frames surrounding them, waterfall-blocked passages, and blocked off underwater passages, is an interesting, apparently pointless secret here - In the room with the first (only?) holy grail tabilet in Spring in the Sky, climbm the ladder from the tablet, jump over the waterfall, then climbm down that ladder, kill the fish there and walk over to the tablet - press down. You'll proceed to climb all the way down to the screen below, but the hidden ladder doesn't seem to lead anywhere, it just stops in the middle of the wall and there's nowhere to go

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ok, help me out here guys, I'm having trouble with the second boss.
*EDIT* NEVERMIND I GOT THAT COCKSUCKER AND TRAMPLED ON HIS RUINS*EDIT*

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 14, 2012

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Did anyone write down the stuff that Mulbruk said? specifically about la mulana numbers and their meanings. I did not and now that information appears to be lost forever and is necessary for completeling a couple puzzles. I should have figured this from the start but I didn't even think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wow, I'm really impressed with this. It's the complete goddamn 32-bit package.

My only disappointment, and it's a minor nitpick, is that I think the music sounded way better in that WiiWare trailer they released years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsDRIF25SE

• Locked thread