Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

My only disappointment, and it's a minor nitpick, is that I think the music sounded way better in that WiiWare trailer they released years back.

Yeah, I think the remake is an improvement in every respect, except for the music. It's not bad (the compositions are as great as ever, and even improved in some places), but the instrument-set they used sounds a little too MIDI-ish. They lost the harder-edged sounds of the chiptune originals.

The good news is that all the music is left in open OGG format, meaning that anyone who wants to take a shot at it can just replace, remix or remaster the sountrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
:psyduck: I was so drat proud of myself for figuring out the gate of guidance spoiler free. I have been thoroughly humbled, as I've wandered around the mausoleum, sun temple, sky spring, inferno, and twin labyrinths for hours now without any real accomplishment other than getting two ankh gems and the hermes boots, and getting lost thoroughly. The mausoleum seems like it's where i'm supposed to go next but the tablets keep going on and on with some giant story and writing down amd amalyzing all fifty to decipher what secret puzzle stuff was hidden there sounds.. excruciating.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Wolpertinger posted:

:psyduck: I was so drat proud of myself for figuring out the gate of guidance spoiler free. I have been thoroughly humbled, as I've wandered around the mausoleum, sun temple, sky spring, inferno, and twin labyrinths for hours now without any real accomplishment other than getting two ankh gems and the hermes boots, and getting lost thoroughly. The mausoleum seems like it's where i'm supposed to go next but the tablets keep going on and on with some giant story and writing down amd amalyzing all fifty to decipher what secret puzzle stuff was hidden there sounds.. excruciating.

The tablets in the mausoleum are telling you a story of the giants, giving you discriptions of them (holding, praying, whatever) and there's a room on the bottom of the map that has a circular tablet on the wall that has symbols of day, night, and stars that you can change using the floating platforms to it's left and righ. so for example, if a tablet tells you "and so-and-so slumbered in the night" that means you should make the moon symbol on top and search for a room with a giant that will slumber (once you enter the room the giant you're looking for will make an action) and you can do the same for the rest of the symbols! that way you'll get to the boss, also when a tablet tells you "power lies at the feet of so and so" that means you should put a weight at the foot of one of the giants to unlock a chest that'll increase your health bar. This game does make you think though and that's why I love it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, I think the remake is an improvement in every respect, except for the music. It's not bad (the compositions are as great as ever, and even improved in some places), but the instrument-set they used sounds a little too MIDI-ish. They lost the harder-edged sounds of the chiptune originals.

The good news is that all the music is left in open OGG format, meaning that anyone who wants to take a shot at it can just replace, remix or remaster the sountrack.

I'm trying to figure out how to change the music. I created a second folder called "01" thinking I could switch to that in the menu but it won't allow me. I replaced a few of the music files with .oggs of the original soundtrack and that works but I would prefer the option of keeping the original files with the new files.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
A lot of the puzzles in this are based on arbitrary game logic rather than something you might be expecting. I've played a crapload of old games like this, so I'd expect I'd be able to decipher some of the more obscure video gamey things, but the Grail puzzle was just a bit much. Outside of how that puzzle works, there aren't even any hints that the game world can work that way, so I was sitting there looking for an alternate entrance to that room for the longest time. When I found the solution I just kind of rolled my eyes because it was obvious in such a way that the person designing the game thought it would be, I'm sure.

Its still a fun game, but the unintuitiveness of some of the gameplay (like not being able to jump off or on ladders/always having to climb them from the very bottom, but monsters can sure as hell knock you off them when you don't even have that ability!) and what I'd describe as "puzzles" like the grail one are pretty lame.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

but the Grail puzzle was just a bit much. Outside of how that puzzle works, there aren't even any hints that the game world can work that way, so I was sitting there looking for an alternate entrance to that room for the longest time.

Do you mean the fake wall behind the skeleton? Fake walls are pretty much a staple of this sort of game*. Metroid was loaded with them. Or maybe you are referring to something else?

*In other words, get use to looking for fake walls. This version is a little better about either giving a clue about them then the last, whether visual or through text.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 14, 2012

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The only thing I really don't like is the inability to jump off ladders and enemies catapulting you across the room when they hit you. Neither make the game hard just tedious. I found the puzzles to be fairly decent. Once you've gotten the holy grail you never really have to worry about death anymore. In some cases dying saves time as you just re-load with full health as opposed to running back to the springs every time.

In that respects I wish the grail was a tad easier to find. It's simple in execution but easily missed and until you have it you are incredibly limited to what you can do.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I can't find the last spot to scan in the moonlight temple for the chest puzzle.

I have:
Top of grapple room
"Trap room" in the bottom right
"The hands"

Where's the missing one :(

longname jones
Oct 26, 2006

You Blockhead!

Wolpertinger posted:

Only thing I've found other than odd chests/pedestals made unusable by weird metal frames surrounding them, waterfall-blocked passages, and blocked off underwater passages, is an interesting, apparently pointless secret here - In the room with the first (only?) holy grail tabilet in Spring in the Sky, climbm the ladder from the tablet, jump over the waterfall, then climbm down that ladder, kill the fish there and walk over to the tablet - press down. You'll proceed to climb all the way down to the screen below, but the hidden ladder doesn't seem to lead anywhere, it just stops in the middle of the wall and there's nowhere to go

:ssh: Try attacking downwards some way. It seems important.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Underwhelmed posted:

Do you mean the fake wall behind the skeleton? Fake walls are pretty much a staple of this sort of game*. Metroid was loaded with them. Or maybe you are referring to something else?

*In other words, get use to looking for fake walls. This version is a little better about either giving a clue about them then the last, whether visual or through text.

No the fake wall was fine, what wasn't fine was that the fake wall wrapped the map around to the other side. There might be more instances of this later in the game, but the grail is the first big, required item you have to get. You can't really expect the player to know that there is both a fake wall, AND that the world can wrap itself around without hinting at either beforehand. That's why I kept searching for an alternate, hidden room directly to the left or something that would lead to the other side for a long time before bothering with anything else.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Huh. Looks like I found Michael Jackson. He even changes his pose when you re-enter the area; doesn't seem to do anything at all, just an odd reference.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

I can't find the last spot to scan in the moonlight temple for the chest puzzle.

I have:
Top of grapple room
"Trap room" in the bottom right
"The hands"

Where's the missing one :(

Go to the Moon Watchtower (where you pushed the block onto the switch to activate the moving ledge beneath the Pyramid) and scan underneath where that block now rests. It sounds like that's the one you're missing

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I need a hint or something; are you actually supposed to go into the other areas during the beginning or can you find the holy grail just by going around the starting area?

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Hakkesshu posted:

I need a hint or something; are you actually supposed to go into the other areas during the beginning or can you find the holy grail just by going around the starting area?

You don't need to visit the other areas to find the grail, no. Assuming you mean the Gate of Guidance with 'starting area', not the outdoors.

Hint: There's a wall that isn't really a wall.
More hints: It's on the right side of the map.
Even more: Go through the fake wall, push the block and you unlock a chest with the grail.

Now, if only I could figure out how to get open the part where the red crystal from the same area is.. I've already butchered 3 bosses but still can't figure that one out. Don't give any hints, I'll solve the bastard yet.. (or continue to bash my head against the wall with it for the rest of the weekend)

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 14, 2012

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

One other note for people, especially those coming from the original: Check your map. Constantly. Even if you know where you are.

Every room is named, and yes, the game does expect you to note the names of rooms you pass through for the sake of certain puzzles.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
To me it looked like some rooms had equal names - if they were "part" of a larger area. But maybe I just misread?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ymgve posted:

To me it looked like some rooms had equal names - if they were "part" of a larger area. But maybe I just misread?

No, you're right. Areas like the Pit of the Grail are several screens tall.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Haha oh man the new solution to flooding the Tower of the Goddess and getting the plane model is downright nasty.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 14, 2012

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I tried using the in-game menu to set up a USB gamepad, but there are more actions on the menu than my pad has buttons, and I couldn't find a way to only map some of them. I set it up in joy2key instead. No biggie.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

No the fake wall was fine, what wasn't fine was that the fake wall wrapped the map around to the other side. There might be more instances of this later in the game, but the grail is the first big, required item you have to get. You can't really expect the player to know that there is both a fake wall, AND that the world can wrap itself around without hinting at either beforehand. That's why I kept searching for an alternate, hidden room directly to the left or something that would lead to the other side for a long time before bothering with anything else.

Yeah, you might not want to bother with this game then, or quit before you get to Confusion Gate. It doesn't sound like you are going to be enjoying yourself.

edit:

Just got past the new Bahamut and I gotta say, I like this one a lot better, it still isn't easy, but it feels a lot less cheesy than the old one. I didn't even need to spam a sub-weapon to do it.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 14, 2012

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Ledgem posted:

Did anyone write down the stuff that Mulbruk said? specifically about la mulana numbers and their meanings. I did not and now that information appears to be lost forever and is necessary for completeling a couple puzzles. I should have figured this from the start but I didn't even think about it.

Here you go:
Each number has it's own meaning. 0 is nothing. 1 is beginning. 4 is death, 5 is rebirth, 6 is war, 7 is deceit, 8 is eternity and 9 is ascension. I can't remember 2 and 3.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Okay, I'm officially stuck. I've been to the Guidance Gate, Mausoleum, Spring, that one Egyptian place (forgot the name) and the Endless Corridor, got the Hermes Boots and the helmet, but now I have no loving clue where to go. There is a platform with a ladder on it in the Guidance Gate that I can't get to, as well as a treasure chest that's completely out of reach. Where do I go from here?

Also, what's the deal with the celestial symbol puzzle with the dial in the Mausoleum?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ledgem posted:

Anyone figure out a good way to get money or know any hidden spots with lots of it (like the original would have 100 coin hidden pots). Since they changed how it works I can't reset to farm for gold and enemies rarely drop it and only 1-3 at a time. I suddenly have things costing over 300 and have no way to reliably get any.

They added a new green fairy that, from what I'm gather, enchants pots you run across so that they give gold when destroyed. Of course, getting the green fairy is random without a software combination I'm unaware of, but a useful trick I found is that you can tell which fairy you'll get by the pattern of the stars that appear when you hit the fairy point, BUT the fairy won't actually spawn until the stars have finished doing their thing. So you can trigger a fairy point, check the star pattern, exit the screen before it spawns, then reenter and trigger the fairy point again indefinitely. This way you can keep trying until you get the fairy you want.

If the fairy DOES spawn though, you still have to wait a while for the fairy points to become active again.

Underwhelmed posted:

Just got past the new Bahamut and I gotta say, I like this one a lot better, it still isn't easy, but it feels a lot less cheesy than the old one. I didn't even need to spam a sub-weapon to do it.

The only way I could beat him was to spam flares like crazy :( And I still almost died cause his little fireball attack is a bitch to avoid

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zeether posted:

Okay, I'm officially stuck. I've been to the Guidance Gate, Mausoleum, Spring, that one Egyptian place (forgot the name) and the Endless Corridor, got the Hermes Boots and the helmet, but now I have no loving clue where to go. There is a platform with a ladder on it in the Guidance Gate that I can't get to, as well as a treasure chest that's completely out of reach. Where do I go from here?

Also, what's the deal with the celestial symbol puzzle with the dial in the Mausoleum?

You say you have been to those places, but have you defeated the bosses? Your second question is involved in solving the mausoleum and getting to the boss.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Super Jay Mann posted:

The only way I could beat him was to spam flares like crazy :( And I still almost died cause his little fireball attack is a bitch to avoid

I waited in the center, and when he popped up I hit him with the axe a couple times, then a flare once on the water if i only landed one axe hit. I only ended up using a half dozen or so flares. If you stick near the center he won't typically hit you when he pops up and the fire will go right overhead after you land. Dodging the mines, just stay in the middle and when some come your way, do the highest double jump you can.

edit: damnit, sorry didn't mean to split that over two posts...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

You say you have been to those places, but have you defeated the bosses? Your second question is involved in solving the mausoleum and getting to the boss.
I haven't defeated the bosses. I don't really know where they are or how to get to them :(

There's an empty room in the Guidance Gate that I opened which LOOKS like a boss room

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 14, 2012

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Is there any real point to the claws? I just got them and all they do is simply make me stick to the wall and not really be able to ascend any more than that, even when I jump it doesn't go higher!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Also, how the gently caress do I beat the ghosts in the Mausoleum for the throwing knives? There's a thing in there that strikes me with lightning when I whip it and they keep hovering near it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zeether posted:

Also, how the gently caress do I beat the ghosts in the Mausoleum for the throwing knives? There's a thing in there that strikes me with lightning when I whip it and they keep hovering near it

Just stay near the bottom, they move towards the player I think. Use the backswing motion of your whip to kill them from below when they get low enough

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just stay near the bottom, they move towards the player I think. Use the backswing motion of your whip to kill them from below when they get low enough
I already beat the big ghost and got the other shurikens, but now I'm truly stuck.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Al-Saqr posted:

Is there any real point to the claws? I just got them and all they do is simply make me stick to the wall and not really be able to ascend any more than that, even when I jump it doesn't go higher!

There are several mandatory jumping puzzles later in the game that will require you to cling to a wall and then spring off of it. No, you can't use it to gain any extra altitude so its use is pretty selective.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Zeether posted:

Okay, I'm officially stuck. There is a platform with a ladder on it in the Guidance Gate that I can't get to, as well as a treasure chest that's completely out of reach. Where do I go from here?

You've read about the gazing faces. If you've done all you need to, you'll be able to walk between them to the platform and past.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Vinchenz posted:

So, I found an app hidden near the beginning. It's called deathv.exe. Does it do anything other than take up RAM?
Where's this located? I've been searching for it for a while.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

Where's this located? I've been searching for it for a while.

It's in the rocks behind the statue of the old man with the cane on top of the ladders that lead you to the ruins.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Vinchenz posted:

Yeah I just found the shop. I almost lost it when I found out there was a screen to the left of the first screen. You can also get the Glyph Book in the shop there too that I didn't know about. -_-

Healing Spring too.

So, I found an app hidden near the beginning. It's called deathv.exe. Does it do anything other than take up RAM?

Unless the description says otherwise, software must be combined for effect. That app has a function with the proper combination.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Is there a place I can buy flares? Running rather low on them.

EDIT: Found some in a shop in the Temple of the Sun.

Mr. Trampoline fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 14, 2012

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I stumbled into this and it's a brand new item placement, so I figured I'd point it out.

If you visit that one room in the Endless Corridor, the Fairy Queen there will ask you for Isis' Pendant to trigger the fairy hotspots. Xelpud will immediately email you pointing out that rooms are named on the map, so if you find one with a "suspicious" name you should poke around.

The Temple of the Sun's sub-boss chamber on the far left is Isis' Anterior Chamber.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Is there a place I can buy flares? Running rather low on them.

EDIT: Found some in a shop in the Temple of the Sun.

Where? I've scoured that place for like an hour trying to find that drat shop again.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Where? I've scoured that place for like an hour trying to find that drat shop again.

It's east of the entrance to the boss room. In the middle of some spikes on the floor is the door to the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How in the living gently caress do I beat the minecart boss in the Temple of the Sun? He takes way too many loving shurikens and I can't get up close because he'll hurt me too much.

• Locked thread