Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mr. Trampoline posted:

It's east of the entrance to the boss room. In the middle of some spikes on the floor is the door to the shop.

Sweet, thanks. I could have sworn I checked that shop before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
One complaint of mine would be that most of the time I have no idea what I accomplished / how I made something happen. At times some doors that were previously closed are now open, or I hear the jingle-jangle noise when I do something correctly but have absolutely zero idea what that accomplished, if anything at all. The game could be a little clearer on that.

More specifically, I have no idea how I opened the trapdoor leading to the chest with the bronze mirror near the entrance to the dark area. It was closed, I wandered around and happened to come back to it and it was open this time. :???: I also solved a couple of puzzles in the dark area after that and got the 'puzzle complete' noise, but nothing seems to have happened anywhere.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm going to give up on trying to beat the minecart boss for now, because he's kicking my rear end and I can't have the patience to kill him. How many drat shurikens does it TAKE?

That and playing with keyboard is awkward and I need to use my controller. I might try to go back and see if I can find any life jewels.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 14, 2012

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Zeether posted:

How in the living gently caress do I beat the minecart boss in the Temple of the Sun? He takes way too many loving shurikens and I can't get up close because he'll hurt me too much.

I just did that by knifing Ellmac in the face when on the high parts, mostly. I tossed some shurikens, too, once I got low on health. It shouldn't take that much, he's not very sturdy for a giant lizard. If you're having trouble, explore for health upgrades + ammo + other sub weapons (flares would probably work) and come back later.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

I just did that by knifing Ellmac in the face when on the high parts, mostly. I tossed some shurikens, too, once I got low on health. It shouldn't take that much, he's not very sturdy for a giant lizard. If you're having trouble, explore for health upgrades + ammo + other sub weapons (flares would probably work) and come back later.
I'm thinking of going for the flares, but don't they fire straight up? Also knifing is kind of risky if you ask me, his charge attack does a LOT of damage. Are there any other health upgrades nearby? I might go for one more so I can at least not take too much damage from him.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

poo poo, I just stood on that little scale in the Giants' Mausoleum and this time it displayed my weight in the La-Mulana script only once before deactivating permanently. I really hope they didn't change up that puzzle with the weights such that I just hosed myself over in a way that wasn't even possible originally.

Fliptwist
Mar 16, 2001

I'm fat, black, cranky, and menopausal! You do NOT want to mess with me!
Pillbug
In the inferno caves, can anyone tell me what you're supposed to do with the lamia statue near the entrance?

I'm also somewhat lost as to where to go next after beating the first three bosses.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
I just got the bronze mirror, and it's opened up some gates but I still can't actually enter them, is there something I'm missing?

E: Nevermind, figured it out I think the boss has to be dead?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MonkeyforaHead posted:

poo poo, I just stood on that little scale in the Giants' Mausoleum and this time it displayed my weight in the La-Mulana script only once before deactivating permanently. I really hope they didn't change up that puzzle with the weights such that I just hosed myself over in a way that wasn't even possible originally.

Just warp back to the tablet, it resets itself.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fliptwist posted:

In the inferno caves, can anyone tell me what you're supposed to do with the lamia statue near the entrance?

I'm also somewhat lost as to where to go next after beating the first three bosses.

Go back to Guide Gate, in the upper right, there is an exit to the Sky Spring, that should be your next target. Oh. and you will need a helmet from the twin labyrinth first if you haven't already gotten it, look for a shop inside

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So apparently they must have changed this from the original, in the guidance gate I can't figure out how to get the first Ankh stone thing to fight the first boss, I just get lightninged no matter which of the 4 tablets i attack.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

goldjas posted:

So apparently they must have changed this from the original, in the guidance gate I can't figure out how to get the first Ankh stone thing to fight the first boss, I just get lightninged no matter which of the 4 tablets i attack.

It's not really changed, there's one at first that wont get you struck by lightning. What hung me up was that I was trying to hit each one once, when you have to hit them multiple times

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

goldjas posted:

There is a clue in about the same area, I wasn't aware that it was flagged as "protected" until after you read the clue though. I think the tablets are broken in the same order even as they were in the original, even if their features are different. Remember that you have to actually break them before moving to the next in the sequence.

goldjas posted:

drat it all that was it. I don't remember for the life of me if that was the same in the original or not.

it was.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 14, 2012

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not really changed, there's one at first that wont get you struck by lightning. What hung me up was that I was trying to hit each one once, when you have to hit them multiple times

drat it all that was it. I don't remember for the life of me if that was the same in the original or not.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Bahamut is a big dumb jerk. "oh look at me I'm going to hide in the background and attack you over and over"

I wouldn't even have as much of a problem with his high damage if I could just hit him more often! :argh:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Underwhelmed posted:

There is a clue in about the same area, I wasn't aware that it was flagged as "protected" until after you read the clue though.

What the gently caress? I had read that clue about 10 times and still got lightninged every time, I thought I had done something wrong and scoured the rest of the Gate for ages for a solution that doesn't exist. Now I read the clue once again and recorded it, and now it worked. What a terrible puzzle.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Dropbear posted:

What the gently caress? I had read that clue about 10 times and still got lightninged every time, I thought I had done something wrong and scoured the rest of the Gate for ages for a solution that doesn't exist. Now I read the clue once again and recorded it, and now it worked. What a terrible puzzle.

You don't have to save the clue or anything. It works fine from the start, but if you bone it up you have to leave the area to reset it.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

tooooooo bad posted:

You don't have to save the clue or anything. It works fine from the start, but if you bone it up you have to leave the area to reset it.

Then it must have bugged out somehow, since I'm 100% sure I've read the clue and started with the block the clue says you should, multiple times. Always got zapped. Huh.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Well now that's a new one. I wound up with a fairy who throws rolling shurikens while in the Temple of the Moon, and it proceeded to chuck one into a piece of wall with divine protection, getting me struck dead by lightning. :tipshat:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

If I wandered into the Temple of the Sun and saved with 3 hp and only the Hand Scanner should I just start over because cripes this seems completely hopeless.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Realtime impression of Baphomet fight:

"Oh hey, it's just like last time, but this time I can just jump and spam whip on it over and over."

"Attacks don't seem terribly difficult to dodge, I'll just keep hitting her while she's open. This is actually a lot easier than the origin--"

"Wait, why is it standing up? Why is its trident spinning? Where did it go?!"

":stare:"

":stare: :stare: :stare:"

*dies horribly*

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Phoix posted:

If I wandered into the Temple of the Sun and saved with 3 hp and only the Hand Scanner should I just start over because cripes this seems completely hopeless.

They give you a lot of save slots for a reason :ssh:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phoix posted:

Yeouch, yeah, that sounds bad. It might be possible to get back without being hit... but it doesn't seem terribly likely. General hint for your next playthrough, don't leave the Guidance Gate until you find the Holy Grail, and buy the Glyph Reader as soon as you can.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
OK, I'm having a pretty serious recurring problem. When I install the game, everything works fine and dandy. I can save, no problems. However, after I close the game, even once, afterwards the game will never work properly again until I reinstall it. When I try to save it will show a blank box where 'saving' should be for a good 10-15 seconds, and then say 'saved', without actually saving the game. Then, if I close the game a second time, the window closes, but the music continues to play and the process won't ever close unless I force it to via ctrl-alt-delete. I've already redownloaded and reinstalled it, but it still happened a second time. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

SKBasis
Oct 27, 2007

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a hamster balancing Kirby on a parasol -- forever.
College Slice
As much as I'm loving this game, the random failure of the save monuments is hugely frustrating. I've tried redownloading and reinstalling multiple times, and while it sometimes works (well enough that I've made it a decent distance into the game - up to getting the Bronze Mirror and poking around the Temple of Moonlight proper), it will sometimes crash on the Save screen with a little empty box in the middle of my screen. If I swap out to a different program and in again, it says it's saved, but it hasn't (not realizing this cost me a few hours of progress on the first day I played). Any advice? It seems to work fine for the duration of a single session, and then after I've quit and started the game up again later, it fails.

e: Guess I'm not the only one with this problem.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

OK, I'm having a pretty serious recurring problem. When I install the game, everything works fine and dandy. I can save, no problems. However, after I close the game, even once, afterwards the game will never work properly again until I reinstall it. When I try to save it will show a blank box where 'saving' should be for a good 10-15 seconds, and then say 'saved', without actually saving the game. Then, if I close the game a second time, the window closes, but the music continues to play and the process won't ever close unless I force it to via ctrl-alt-delete. I've already redownloaded and reinstalled it, but it still happened a second time. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Run as administrator.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

Evil Eagle posted:

Run as administrator.

I kept getting a black screen when I first installed and admin was a work around. However if you are uncomfortable with running apps as administrator or don't want to keep confirming the uac prompt then move the game directory into your user directory.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I just got to the Tower of Ruin. Literally the second screen in, I get crushed to death instantly by a brand new ceiling-mounted compress with no warning whatsoever. :downsbravo:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So I got to Spring in the Sky and I think I did everything I could, I got the Scalesphere and the ankh jewel there. I found a miniboss, but he's loving crushing me. IIRC, this is the guy who guards the conception seal, right? What's the trick to him? His bouncing eye lasers are really hard to dodge and the only way I can hit him is by whipping him in the eye, but I can't not get hit when doing so. Am I missing something from somewhere else?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So I got to Spring in the Sky and I think I did everything I could, I got the Scalesphere and the ankh jewel there. I found a miniboss, but he's loving crushing me. IIRC, this is the guy who guards the conception seal, right? What's the trick to him? His bouncing eye lasers are really hard to dodge and the only way I can hit him is by whipping him in the eye, but I can't not get hit when doing so. Am I missing something from somewhere else?

...Wait, How did you get the scalesphere without first getting the Conception Seal?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

His claws don't have a hitbox. My strategy was to whip him a couple times, hop under the platform and start swimming beneath him as he fires the laser, then come up on the other side and whip him a couple more times. Repeat.

There's a very specific rhythm between his shots you have to exploit for that to work. If you slip out of it, the best place to restart it is from straight beneath him in the water.

Super Jay Mann posted:

...Wait, How did you get the scalesphere without first getting the Conception Seal?

It's just in a regular old treasure chest at the top of the lift just outside his room, locked by a regular weight pedestal I think?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I kamikaze'd his head with the knife.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MonkeyforaHead posted:

His claws don't have a hitbox. My strategy was to whip him a couple times, hop under the platform and start swimming beneath him as he fires the laser, then come up on the other side and whip him a couple more times. Repeat.

There's a very specific rhythm between his shots you have to exploit for that to work. If you slip out of it, the best place to restart it is from straight beneath him in the water.

It's just in a regular old treasure chest at the top of the lift just outside his room, locked by a regular weight pedestal I think?

My strategy was even simpler, get just out of range of his claws and time your jump+attack so that he fires his laser when you were smacking him in the face, then just watch as it sails harmlessly around you. You don't even have to move unless the laser bounces back to where you are, but you can just jump to avoid that too. Easiest fight in the game by far.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Has anyone had any luck getting this working under wine? I've installed DirectX 9 and everything runs fine right up to the point where I hit the menu screen, at which point it becomes clear I have no keyboard or mouse input. (I can't skip the intro cutscene either.)

Failing any wine-specific advice, could someone tell me whether I'm meant to be able to use the mouse, the keyboard or both in the opening menu? It would at least narrow the problem down.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Oh holy wow did they make the 2nd boss way harder. Was not expecting that.

Edit: Was there anything more in the Mausoleum besides the second boss, ground shurikens, and hermes boots? I've looked everywhere and that's all I've found, but seems sort of scarce.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 15, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Thanks, this is what I ended up doing. I don't think I was timing my hits right before as I wasn't aware that you could just jump straight up and hit him.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting this working under wine? I've installed DirectX 9 and everything runs fine right up to the point where I hit the menu screen, at which point it becomes clear I have no keyboard or mouse input. (I can't skip the intro cutscene either.)

Failing any wine-specific advice, could someone tell me whether I'm meant to be able to use the mouse, the keyboard or both in the opening menu? It would at least narrow the problem down.

I'm having the same problem and haven't found a solution yet. I'd really like to play this game :(

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I guess I was just lucky, because I honestly thought they made Bahamut much easier than the original.

Only died to him three times before I killed him.

Maybe it's because he didn't do that background fireball attack much for me?

MCXD
Nov 12, 2008
I know almost everyone disagrees, but I don't like how completely arbitrary some of the changes are. The most egregious example that comes to mind is the Bronze Mirror. In the original game that item had its own special room dedicated to it and it was practically unmissable. After all, it was a vital, special item which opens up the latter 60% of the game. Now? It's just shoved in some random chest with no fanfare at all, which has a pretty unintuitive solution to open it. Why? Why the heck would you make that change? How does it even remotely improve the gameplay? I don't like how a few items have been just shoved into shops now either, it really removes a lot of the sense of accomplishment you get from progressing in the game.

So meh, I'm not overly impressed.

MCXD fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MCXD posted:

So meh, I'm not overly impressed.

They wanted to remake the game so that veteran players wouldn't have exactly the same experience again. If you want to play the exact same freeware game that you played seven years ago, why would you even buy the remake?

• Locked thread