Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

spwrozek posted:

Are you guys just talking cash and investments or including homes and such?

We hit 1mm in cash and investments this month and then immediately spent a few grand on some house stuff and a vacation. We don’t really count our equity since we only own our primary residence, but that’s over 400k so sometimes it pains me not to consider it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

For something more in the spirit of the thread, 2022 and 2023 will hopefully be my third and fourth years of maxing out my Roth IRA contribution despite that being >15% of my pre-tax income. I had some help from very wonderful people in my life and I don't love that I needed that, but as someone who's already 34 and behind, I'm trying to convince myself to just take the win. In a more recent first, I also managed to simultaneously squirrel away 1 month of e-fund in a different bank from my checking cushion. In the past I've always had to keep those two combined in order to reduce uncertainty, so even if it's a small amount, it feels good to have some in a separate account that I can now pretend does not exist. In theory I'm on track to increase that e-fund to 6 months by the end of 2024, so fingers crossed that nothing trips that up. :ohdear:

Congratulations! Those are huge accomplishments and we all need help sometimes. It’s a huge win to have people who care about you that much too

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Sup fellow 1mm net worth and breast cancer survivor! We are still trying to fully integrate the desire to live now and not defer our dreams for a time that may never come. So far she’s reduced her hours and stress at work and traveled more, but everything else is the same.

I do feel like we could stop saving for retirement if we wanted to and still retire with millions since we have 20+ years unless we want to retire early. Seems like as long as we don’t touch our retirement savings we will be OK, but right now I’m contributing 75% of my paycheck to my 401k in case I get laid off or quit later this year.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

leper khan posted:

401k money is usually locked up :confused:
if i was expecting an issue, id save into a brokerage account or HYSA or short-mid term treasuries

you do you tho

We have plenty of cash in hysa/money market funds since I was preparing to quit last October and move cross-country. The tax advantaged space is more important to us than the paychecks at the moment.

Awkward Davies posted:

Hello! So glad to hear that you're both doing well. Before my wife got sick her mom told us a story about a friend who worked her whole life, retired to her dream house in the country and immediately got cancer and died. Never got to enjoy it. The story was scary as an intellectual exercise, but now I think we understand it a little more viscerally and we're trying to enjoy ourselves. We've also traveled a bunch. We took a big trip to Japan this year and it was a milestone for post treatment life.

Thank you. It’s fantastic you took that trip. I think it’s incredibly important to make those milestones and create events that can serve as delineations when you look back. We lost her mom to ALS during my wife’s cancer treatment so we’re painfully aware that we can lose our ability to do the things we want while still being alive. One of my big fears is that we’ll finally move somewhere with mountains but not be healthy enough to hike and camp when we do.