Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

If you're trying to stick to 1e, you might want to try to find copies of the two original AD&D modules that inspired the 2e campaign setting, I6: Ravenloft and I10: Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Ah, I didn't realize that the full setting was 2e. Is it hard to convert to 1e?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Start with something mild like The Village of Hommlet. Then give the players enough XP to get them up to 12th level and send them into the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (G1).

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Zerilan posted:

It's been a long time since I had a copy of the Ravenloft box, but I'd imagine that it wouldn't be that hard. Part of the whole philosophy behind the campaign setting is focusing more on atmosphere and story than mechanics anyway.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Zerilan posted:

Conversion between 1e/2e usually requires very little effort unless you're dealing with classes or mechanics that radically changed between editions, like rangers or psionics.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

gtrmp posted:

Conversion between 1e/2e usually requires very little effort unless you're dealing with classes or mechanics that radically changed between editions, like rangers or psionics.

Good to know. I'm the only one in our group that ever plays ranger type characters generally and I didn't want to bother with psionics either way.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OtspIII posted:

A big part of Ravenloft's conceit is that the adventurers are all somehow brought there from other dimensions and can't leave until they beat the castle or whatever, so that sounds good.

Yeah, do that. That's pretty much what it's for. Also, Ravenloft can be used to temporarily change up a campaign that's getting stale.

I wouldn't recommend any of the AD&D supplements, but some of the adventures are good.

Like OtspIII said, the best AD&D "adventures" are the sandboxy ones, because the game is far better in sandbox mode than in story mode. If that makes sense. I mean that a hell of a lot of the rules deal with stuff that probably won't come up much in a linear, plot-based adventure (also, the DMG is like 50% tables for randomly generating stuff, use them, it's hilarious).

Hexcrawling is fun in AD&D, and so is "here is this region with some stuff going on, have at it". If you want to ease into the system, it shouldn't be too hard to run a short home-made dungeoncrawl and just segue that into your sandbox.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, a true hexcrawl from what I've seen the descriptions of sound like they require more preparation than I can do with a college schedule and finals coming up in a couple weeks. My campaigns in other systems have typically worked well as sandboxes though, so my plan is to set up some sort of sandbox setting and use individual adventure modules as ideas of what to do with major locations. I really want to run Ravenloft at one point though so if the campaign lasts into upper levels the group will find themselves there eventually.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, a true hexcrawl from what I've seen the descriptions of sound like they require more preparation than I can do with a college schedule and finals coming up in a couple weeks.

Not necessarily. AD&D has a lot of tools that make "unknown wilderness exploration" pretty easy to set up if you're fine with semirandom everything (which is one of the appeals of hexcrawl).

I can type up a "how to do a semirandom wilderness" thing if you want. The main timesink is making a final-goal dungeon, but that's not really the appeal of the hexcrawl and it's pretty unlikely they'll find it quickly anyway, so it's the part you can leave for later.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
That would actually be really helpful. I'm really used to doing my GMing in systems like AFMBE and FATE where it's far far easier to just pull everything from off the top of my head and still have the encounters work out.

EDIT: Also what character ability generation tends to work well with 1e beyond the rolling methods in the book? I've never been a fan of die rolling for PC stats.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 19, 2012

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

Not necessarily. AD&D has a lot of tools that make "unknown wilderness exploration" pretty easy to set up if you're fine with semirandom everything (which is one of the appeals of hexcrawl).

I can type up a "how to do a semirandom wilderness" thing if you want. The main timesink is making a final-goal dungeon, but that's not really the appeal of the hexcrawl and it's pretty unlikely they'll find it quickly anyway, so it's the part you can leave for later.

I want to hear how people do this. This isn't how I did it in my current campaign, where I just wrote a thing for every hex (of which a bunch were relatively minor, like landmarks rather than adventures), but I'm not sure that was the best way to do it. I think if I did it again I'd just make a stable of like 6 or 10 locations per zone/climate and roll randomly on that chart every time they get a "you find the hex's feature!" encounter roll or learn a rumor about the area. I feel bad about "prepare an encounter, wherever they go next they find it" types of encounter preps since they feel a bit railroady (oof, not that just rolling on a chart really makes a huge difference since it's still just luck--what actually puts power in the hands of the players is intelligence gathering), but as long as the encounter charts vary from zone to zone and there are plenty of ways to scout around it's fairly functional.

Even so, keeping 10 well prepped interesting encounters in reserve at all times is a bit tiring. I handle city stuff by dropping a hint of something going on in the city at the end of each session and then making the players decide if they want to investigate it further at least a few days beforehand so I can have time to make it more full-bodied, but that's really not an option in wilderness exploration.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zerilan posted:

EDIT: Also what character ability generation tends to work well with 1e beyond the rolling methods in the book? I've never been a fan of die rolling for PC stats.

...I don't know. We always did "4d6, drop lowest, arrange to taste" in AD&D, because we didn't know any better. By the time we were retrogaming, Hackmaster had come round and was fun. Maybe use the point-buy from 2nd Ed, since the systems are pretty similar.

OtspIII posted:

I want to hear how people do this. This isn't how I did it in my current campaign, where I just wrote a thing for every hex (of which a bunch were relatively minor, like landmarks rather than adventures), but I'm not sure that was the best way to do it. I think if I did it again I'd just make a stable of like 6 or 10 locations per zone/climate and roll randomly on that chart every time they get a "you find the hex's feature!" encounter roll or learn a rumor about the area. I feel bad about "prepare an encounter, wherever they go next they find it" types of encounter preps since they feel a bit railroady (oof, not that just rolling on a chart really makes a huge difference since it's still just luck--what actually puts power in the hands of the players is intelligence gathering), but as long as the encounter charts vary from zone to zone and there are plenty of ways to scout around it's fairly functional.

Even so, keeping 10 well prepped interesting encounters in reserve at all times is a bit tiring. I handle city stuff by dropping a hint of something going on in the city at the end of each session and then making the players decide if they want to investigate it further at least a few days beforehand so I can have time to make it more full-bodied, but that's really not an option in wilderness exploration.

The bolded part is a good way to do it, actually.

The way I used to do it with AD&D, and then Hackmaster is a bit like the parts you've mentioned you don't like, but I'll put my process here anyway. This is for "explore the wilderness, find the dungeon, get the treasure back to town" hexcrawling.

Prepare
1: Draw map, overlay hex grid. It doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as there's lots of wilderness. I draw the map before putting down the grid because it makes it feel more "real" to me, but I'm not sure the players ever notice.

2: Place the base location and one or two "friendly" outposts, fortresses, etc. It's ok to assume they're pretty similar at this stage, you can flesh them out later on if need be (you probably won't need to in a wilderness exploring game).

3: Grab that AD&D DMG. Look at the random encounter tables. Make up a sheet for each creature type for each terrain that you've included. Since the encounters are all "2 owlbears" and "20 orcs" and stuff, this should be easy, especially if you've got a scanner or a PDF version of the rulebook.

Number those sheets with the table reference and the die roll (so table 2, result 6, 20 orcs). Put some boxes to mark off hp on those sheets too. Drop them into a plastic protector so you can write on them with dry-erase markers.

Repeat until that's done. This is something you only need to do once, because once you've run a game like this, you'll have all these sheets.

4: Make up some locations like "ancient ruined temple" and "forest glade with mysterious statue". Make up a list of clues to your final dungeon. Randomly assign clues to locations. Make an encounter table for these locations.

5: Make up your final dungeon. This part takes the longest.

Play: When a new hex is entered, roll for monster encounters, and then roll to see if there's a location from step 5. If there is, then the "thing" in that hex is "encounter with <monsters> in <location> yielding <clue>". If there is no location, but there is an encounter, it's simply "fight <monsters> in <terrain> hex".

If you want, you can attach clues to groups of monsters with no location (just replace one line of the random encounter table for that terrain with "special" and put your set piece in there. Replace the set piece with the original table line once you're done with it).

You can also have "random dungeon" on your random locations table. Use the random dungeon generator in the DMG, make sure you've made up encounter sheets for dungeon monsters and use those to stock it.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work!

Not as much as you'd think.

The biggest timesink before the final dungeon is making the encounter sheets, which is easier than it sounds and you only need to do once. Scan the page of the monster manual you need, then just copy the scanned image onto an a4 sheet with some boxes for hit points. If you only have 3 or 4 terrain types, you don't need to do much work here - it'll only take about two hours. You don't need to make your own encounter tables, they're all in the DMG.

Locations take another hour or so. They're just maps and notes on features, after all.

The map takes 10-20 minutes. So that's less than 4 hours work for a game that could theoretically be played indefinitely.

The end dungeon takes a while, sure. AD&D dungeons do. But you don't need to do it immediately, especially if the entrance is literally impossible to find without 2 or 3 of the clues (as in, the dungeon is not findable with a random roll).

Almost everything you need is already in the core AD&D books. If you want to skip the encounter sheets, you can, but it'll be more work on game day.

You can literally do all this stuff with just a map and the encounter tables, dungeon generator, treasure generator, random NPC generator etc, on the fly, while the game is going on, so long as the players don't mind waiting 5 minutes every now and then.

This sounds dull!

Include some set piece encounters like an orc encampment. It's still randomly placed, but when/if the PCs destroy it and its occupants, remove all the "20 orcs" encounters from the tables. They will feel like they're having an effect on the region, and they'll be right.

Use the random dungeon generator, it can produce bizarre/hilarious/awesome results. Set a hard limit on it though - like "after 6 rooms, stop rolling because all passages are blocked by rockfalls".

Include a table of random obstacles by terrain type (the river is not fordable in this hex / the ravines here make travel dangerous / the trees are so thick you have to machete your way through).

The point is not to stress about making some coherent ecosystem with terrain and inhabitants that makes sense. Chances are your players won't care even if you do.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 19, 2012

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Zerilan posted:

One thing I like to do with random stat generation is let people retire any character they want after they play them one session and turn them into a Shadowrun-style contact. It's a cool way to let your players add to the setting while making poorly rolled characters still fun to have created.

AlphaDog posted:

The way I used to do it with AD&D, and then Hackmaster is a bit like the parts you've mentioned you don't like, but I'll put my process here anyway. This is for "explore the wilderness, find the dungeon, get the treasure back to town" hexcrawling.

This sounds really solid! I'll try it out next time I'm working on a wilderness!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
By "final dungeon" do you mean like you usually have the campaigns end after that, or just like the "end" of exploring that region of the setting before the players would need to travel more to find more interesting stuff?

edit: Also other big question I guess is now much grids are needed for combat. Our group usually ends up playing over Skype/IRC. Would Maptools or Roll20 be pretty mandatory?

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 19, 2012

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Zerilan posted:

edit: Also other big question I guess is now much grids are needed for combat. Our group usually ends up playing over Skype/IRC. Would Maptools or Roll20 be pretty mandatory?

Theater of the Mind sucks. You can play just fine without a grid, but minis are incredibly helpful.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

OtspIII posted:

Theater of the Mind sucks. You can play just fine without a grid, but minis are incredibly helpful.

Back in the old days when we played AD&D 2e and didn't know any better, we used little miniatures and just put them on the ground in between us (we played in a circle on the floor). There weren't any movement rules or anything, but it was exceedingly helpful to keep track of where characters and monsters were in the milieu.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Zerilan posted:

Thanks. Also is Ravenloft a setting where a campaign should start in if I run that later, or is it something I can transport players to at a higher level?

Ravenloft is a plane of chaos and horror that changes to suit the punishment of the lord of each loosely connected realm within it. It's literally what happens if Castlevania was built in Silent Hill.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zerilan posted:

By "final dungeon" do you mean like you usually have the campaigns end after that, or just like the "end" of exploring that region of the setting before the players would need to travel more to find more interesting stuff?

"Final dungeon" just refers to the place that contains whatever the major plot hook is. Classic hexcrawl usually involves something like "the mad mage stole the magic macguffin and fled to the forest! You must recover it!".

The dungeon contains the macguffin and maybe the mad mage. The adventure is about getting there and back, and while the dungeon is often the highlight its not really the major focus of the hexcrawl.

When they defeat it, it might contain a hook to another region (maybe the mad mage escapes!) or the PCs might decide to explore more before they move on. Getting the macguffin back to the base location can be really hard if it's big or hard to move.

The game ends when everyone's had enough of those characters, often after a single region. I did a "rod of seven parts" game, with 8 regions, a rod in the first 7, and the final bad guy battle in the 8th. I think we got up to region 4 or 5 (over a year's weekly play) before it all petered out through everyone finishing high school and not having that time any more. I was designing each region the week before they were probably coming to it.

edit: As far as movement goes, grids and minis are helpful but unnecessary. We used to use a dry-erase board with sketch maps and minis.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 20, 2012

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is there any maptool program that's real simple and easy to just use as a dry erase board sort of thing? Since it's an online group I can't really use a regular table and minis, but I guess a shared edit google docs image could work.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Zerilan posted:

Is there any maptool program that's real simple and easy to just use as a dry erase board sort of thing? Since it's an online group I can't really use a regular table and minis, but I guess a shared edit google docs image could work.

http://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/choosing-a-vt

Pick one that sounds right for you :)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks. Gametable and OpenRPG both sound like the fit what I'm looking for (easy to use, free).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Okay. I have a few questions and I think this is the place for them.

I ran a dungeoncrawl using S&W for the first time. It went pretty well and I'll probably do it again. But I have some questions about 'skills'. You know those things that don't exist unless you're a thief.

Question the first: In situations where you are testing character skill what method to you prefer? e.g. I used this when the fighter kicked down doors, and when the party needed to jump over a trapped floor panel.

I used d20 roll under attribute to succeed, but it felt strange that everything had the same difficulty (per character).

Question the second: I get most of the thief skills, but I didn't understand how "Hear Sounds" (or similarly Notice Secret Door for elves)
What happens when there is a goblin party on one side of the wooden door and the thief puts his ear up to the door? And what happens when the fighter does it?

My take was
Fighter: "You hear what seems to be multiple creatures on the other side."
Thief (successful roll): "There are four creatures over there. Sounds like goblins, and they're armed."

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

Question the second: I get most of the thief skills, but I didn't understand how "Hear Sounds" (or similarly Notice Secret Door for elves)
What happens when there is a goblin party on one side of the wooden door and the thief puts his ear up to the door? And what happens when the fighter does it?

One option is to make it a time thing. Anybody can listen to a door, but most people take a long time to be sure--they aren't good at it, so they have to spend some time double-checking and making sure they weren't imagining anything. Specifically, it takes a full turn. Thieves and elves just do it instantly. Same deal with, like, unlocking a door--anybody can do it with some time, but thieves can just have it done in the time it takes to ask them to do it. This method works best if you're using wandering monster checks based on time, though, otherwise it's kind of a bad deal for the thieves.

Edit: I guess I never went into what actually happens. I'd probably describe it like your fighter description: you can hear a few figures in the room, maybe some muttering in a goblinish tongue. Remember that some monsters, like inactive undead, don't make any sounds at all.

OtspIII fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 21, 2012

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
You can try a few different ways. Castles & Crusades has the siege engine, which I think it sets a base difficulty for tests at 15, and then you roll a D20 and add your attribute mod. If the attribute is considered primary for your class, you get a + 5 to the roll. I may have that wrong, so if someone knows better, they can correct me.

DCC has you roll a D20 and add attribute mod, against the difficulty which I think assumes a baseline of 10. Maybe 5. No other bonuses unless the DM decides.

I have heard of people using the single save from S & W instead of attributes, or use the save rating and add attribute mod, trying to roll over the save number.

You can also give a + 2 bonus to rolls for each beneficial factor in play or any equal penalty for each detrimental factor. The simplest way to handle that, in my mind, is just to adjust the target number required for success: decrease for easier, increase for harder.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

OtspIII posted:

One option is to make it a time thing.

Thank you. This is an excellent idea that I would never have thought of.

Gasperkun posted:

Castles & Crusades
DCC

This is also helpful. Although Swords and Wizardry has a flattened attribute progression so I'll have to arrange a house rule. But if I didn't want to do that I wouldn't be playing old school, would I?

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

Okay. I have a few questions and I think this is the place for them.

I ran a dungeoncrawl using S&W for the first time. It went pretty well and I'll probably do it again. But I have some questions about 'skills'. You know those things that don't exist unless you're a thief.

Question the first: In situations where you are testing character skill what method to you prefer? e.g. I used this when the fighter kicked down doors, and when the party needed to jump over a trapped floor panel.

I used d20 roll under attribute to succeed, but it felt strange that everything had the same difficulty (per character).

I kind of like roll-under attribute myself since it means that a Strong character will almost always succeed at a task that requires great Strength while a weak character is less likely to do so (as opposed to the almost insignificant bump that attribute modifiers give).

If you want something to be really difficult you say they have to roll under 1/2 attribute or impose a flat penalty of some sort to the roll (-5 or what have you).

Bob Quixote fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 22, 2012

Swim Good
Nov 9, 2012
Wondering if you guys in the know would be able to help me. I want to play an old school sandbox that is less focused on dungeons and more on going from village to village getting into mischief. What do system do you suggest for that sort of game? S&W whitebox or B/X?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Swim Good posted:

Wondering if you guys in the know would be able to help me. I want to play an old school sandbox that is less focused on dungeons and more on going from village to village getting into mischief. What do system do you suggest for that sort of game? S&W whitebox or B/X?

What sort of mischief are you thinking? Is this the type where each village has some sort of hidden plot going on with a few hooks looking to draw players into it, or is it more focused on the players having some overarching goal and you reacting to them stirring up trouble?

Either way, both systems are about equally good for that in a "there aren't a lot of bad rules that make running a game like that actively hard" sort of way. Both can work really well for it, but I suggest looking into both loose (general GMing advice) and relatively strict (like, how Dogs in the Vineyard handles town creation) town and conflict generation guidelines. D&D is very much optimized for dungeon-crawling, but early editions are simple enough that if you're cool with winging non-combat stuff they can work just fine as combat adjudication systems.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Swim Good posted:

I'd highly recommend BECMI as long as you're cool with just roleplaying the noncombat parts.

If you don't want to buy anything apart from rulebooks, and want to have a resource on hand for when your players go off on a tangent, use this site for your random-everything needs http://chaoticshiny.com/ I mean, just click o "tavern", and it tells you the following:

quote:

Name: The Cowardly Knave Tavern Find a new Tavern
Overall Quality: Fit for a Lord Cleanliness: Decent Size: Medium

Drink Pricing: Fair
Food Pricing: Fair

Room Pricing: Dirt cheap
Drink Quality: Decent
Food Quality: Good

Room Size: Large
Drink Variety: Average
Food Variety: Above average

Room Availability: Most rooms occupied

Popularity: Healthy crowd
Noise level: Loud and cheerful
Crowd: Seems mostly law-abiding
Dark corners occupied: 75%
Sobriety: Most patrons sober
Patrons openly armed: About half
Attractions: good music (band) Noteable Patron: the silent, sullen cleric with oddly-colored eyes Menu: very plain-looking
Bartender: quiet Bartender reaction: greets party immediately Bartender quirk: doesn't drink

House Special: Beige with a few bubbles and a grape floating in it. The drink smells like river water and tastes very salty. The locals like to drink it on hot days.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

OtspIII posted:

Either way, both systems are about equally good for that in a "there aren't a lot of bad rules that make running a game like that actively hard" sort of way. Both can work really well for it, but I suggest looking into both loose (general GMing advice) and relatively strict (like, how Dogs in the Vineyard handles town creation) town and conflict generation guidelines. D&D is very much optimized for dungeon-crawling, but early editions are simple enough that if you're cool with winging non-combat stuff they can work just fine as combat adjudication systems.

Yeah there isn't really a D&D or retroclone that is really bad at that per say. And some of the best advice for this sort of game isn't going to be in corebooks anyhow, it'll be in supplements focused on exploration.

http://www.gnomestew.com/tools-for-gms/old-school-fantasy-hexcrawl-resources/

There is a lot of useful stuff there, but skip the primer on old school gaming, it'll do more harm than good. If you don't want to randomize, thats OK (I'd suggest its even better). Pick up some cool adventures (Castle Ravenloft and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks are 2 of my favorites) and some modern Setting books (late 3.5 Adventures and multisetting books like Ghostwalk or Stormwrack, or 4e campaign guides) and just rip the parts you like out wholesale. Need hooks for the eastern deserts? Pull some cities out of dark sun with maybe a large sandstone dungeon ripped out of an AD&D module. Northern forests? Forgotten realms has a few neat standalone kingdoms and towns, each with many secrets.

Swim Good
Nov 9, 2012

OtspIII posted:

What sort of mischief are you thinking? Is this the type where each village has some sort of hidden plot going on with a few hooks looking to draw players into it, or is it more focused on the players having some overarching goal and you reacting to them stirring up trouble?

I was thinking of a game based on philosophical YA fiction and JRPGs. Miyazaki, de Saint-Exipery, Miyazawa, Earthbound, Zelda, Pokemon, you know that kind of thing. No real overarching plot except perhaps self/world discovery. I don't think hidden plots really works but then again I'm not sure what will work. I just have a hankering for a simple, innocent beer and pretzels campaign to start off the new year.

AlphaDog posted:

I'd highly recommend BECMI as long as you're cool with just roleplaying the noncombat parts.

If you don't want to buy anything apart from rulebooks, and want to have a resource on hand for when your players go off on a tangent, use this site for your random-everything needs http://chaoticshiny.com/ I mean, just click o "tavern", and it tells you the following:

That's really cool! Thanks, but why do think BECMI is advantageous? I always thought that BECMI had a pretty water-tight premise of zero-hero-lord-god going on?

Red_Mage posted:

Yeah there isn't really a D&D or retroclone that is really bad at that per say. And some of the best advice for this sort of game isn't going to be in corebooks anyhow, it'll be in supplements focused on exploration.

http://www.gnomestew.com/tools-for-gms/old-school-fantasy-hexcrawl-resources/

There is a lot of useful stuff there, but skip the primer on old school gaming, it'll do more harm than good. If you don't want to randomize, thats OK (I'd suggest its even better). Pick up some cool adventures (Castle Ravenloft and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks are 2 of my favorites) and some modern Setting books (late 3.5 Adventures and multisetting books like Ghostwalk or Stormwrack, or 4e campaign guides) and just rip the parts you like out wholesale. Need hooks for the eastern deserts? Pull some cities out of dark sun with maybe a large sandstone dungeon ripped out of an AD&D module. Northern forests? Forgotten realms has a few neat standalone kingdoms and towns, each with many secrets.

I was more thinking of something that wouldn't get in the way too much and could be easily house ruled as we go along with out breaking anything too much. This is great advice though, mining as we speak!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

Thanks for linking this! I'm bad at planning out enough stuff in advance, especially for towns when I DM, and this looks like it could help a lot with adding some quick detail to things.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Swim Good posted:

One more for the "both" camp. I'll throw Dark Dungeons in the mix; it's a very complete D&D B/X clone based on the TSR D&D Rules Cyclopedia.

If you're looking for some structure to your village crawl, you could take a look at An Echo, Resounding. IMO it's a fantastic sandbox resource for all kinds of D&D.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
BECMI is set up to go from hero, to lord, to immortal, but you really don't need to use all the rules it offers. The thing I enjoyed was that they give you your keep at level 9 and BECMI actually explains what you can do with your land. I'll second Dark Dungeons or even Darker Dungeons. Darker Dungeons polishes a few parts, makes higher numbers better, and adds a couple good house rules. BECMI is my favorite edition and Dark Dungeons is the best published version. B/X is cool, but weapon proficiency is handled really nicely by the Master Box Set.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Check out just about anything by Kevin Crawford. He wrote Stars Without Number, which is kind of a mixture of Traveller and B/X, as well as Echo, Resounding, as well as others.

What he does in each book is provide tools for making sandbox play easier, from star system creation to developing post apocalypse blighted regions to political relations between bordering kingdoms. In other words, he systematizes sandboxes by the genre.

I don't think I would be interested in games like this as more than a curiosity or as reference for potential design patterns if not for the stuff he has written.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Swim Good posted:

That's really cool! Thanks, but why do think BECMI is advantageous? I always thought that BECMI had a pretty water-tight premise of zero-hero-lord-god going on?

Just ignore the hell out of the bits you don't want to use. If I'm going oldschool D&D I usually just use Basic/Expert. I never seem to get a campaign that lasts long enough to go past level 8 or 9 anyway*, since everyone eventually just loses interest.

*Unless we're starting at 15 or 20 or something, and then they usually go 4 or 5 levels before the plot gets wrapped up and everyone goes "time for a different game". We have low attention spans and like to play lots of different systems, so if your group is really into "we're going from level 1 through 30 and not ever quitting", then maybe BECMI is a bad choice.

Edit:

Zerilan posted:

Thanks for linking this! I'm bad at planning out enough stuff in advance, especially for towns when I DM, and this looks like it could help a lot with adding some quick detail to things.

Write down or print out anything you use. Some of the best NPCs are ones you never planned, and players have this habit of fixating on stuff like "the bartender seemed grumpy 6 weeks ago, we should find out why because it's probably important". If they do, you want to have the guy's name all remembered so you can make him important.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 2, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: WotC has opened D&DClassics, a DriveThruRPG storefront for selling products from every edition. :siren:

Right now the only corebook up is the Moldevay Basic red book, but there's a bunch of modules and supplements out now. Prices for 1e & 2e stuff are pretty reasonable, and "In Search of the Unknown" is free. WotC has said they're going to start putting more stuff out next month.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Everyone loves DriveThruRPG, so this should work great... if they keep the prices reasonable. I just wish they had sold them through the main DTRPG store.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Most of the pre-3e stuff is in the $5 to $10 range. And it's DriveThru so it's all the same site, login, and library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Evil Mastermind posted:

Most of the pre-3e stuff is in the $5 to $10 range. And it's DriveThru so it's all the same site, login, and library.
Not only is it the same site,login, and library anything you bought in the past will reappear back in the library section once it goes back on sale.

• Locked thread