Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

One of my favorites from this week:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Old cars.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

JuanChai posted:

Scans of the magazine containing my first printed photos I took a couple of months ago for Maxi Tuning out of Mexico, featuring a local HK Toyota Supra. I'm really happy how the photos turned out and hope I can use this as a vehicle to do some more in the future! Now I want to get my teeth stuck into proper lighting etc.

Maxi Tuning: Toyota Supra Feature by Rupert Procter, on Flickr

It's awesome that you got a published set and I don't want to diminish that in any way, but the reflections on that Supra are so numerous and busy that it really breaks up the form of the car. I realize you probably didn't have the use of large silks to block off everything, but you should still be looking out for it. On the one or two occasions I've had to do this sort of thing, I took a lot of care to shoot low and keep as much sky in the reflections as possible as well as identifiable structures or people. There's so much going on in the paintwork of that car I found myself looking at the reflections trying to identify what I saw, and that's no good. You really have to be careful about losing the form of the body through all that busyness.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Y'all a bunch of nerds, motorcycles are way cooler.

Triumph 120R by Chris Hayden Photo, on Flickr

First try at 'serious' bike photography, after a kit lens wielding 'pro' shot one of my shop's bikes for a magazine and it turned out pretty bad.

Anyway, I can already tell that the rear fender is indistinguishable from the from wheel of the bike behind it, and there's a little too much spill on the row of bikes behind, I should have taped a flag onto the boom light. The bike is pretty much all polished metal & chrome, so ideally I would use a massive silk or something to smooth out the reflections, but :effort:

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

McMadCow posted:

It's awesome that you got a published set and I don't want to diminish that in any way, but the reflections on that Supra are so numerous and busy that it really breaks up the form of the car. I realize you probably didn't have the use of large silks to block off everything, but you should still be looking out for it. On the one or two occasions I've had to do this sort of thing, I took a lot of care to shoot low and keep as much sky in the reflections as possible as well as identifiable structures or people. There's so much going on in the paintwork of that car I found myself looking at the reflections trying to identify what I saw, and that's no good. You really have to be careful about losing the form of the body through all that busyness.

Yup, absolutely taken all that advice on board. I understand exactly where you're coming from and had that in mind when I was shooting, I just didn't have the experience to deal with it. For the shoot it was just me, the car and a camera. This is the kind of stuff I want to learn all about! Please, if you have any other tips I'd love to hear them. Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Another one from today

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

A few from Supercar Sunday at Goodwood a couple of weeks back.

DSC_0190 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0158 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0316 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0297 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0149 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0056 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn that enzo looks good. Did you mess with the saturation, or was the paint just that goddamn perfect?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

50mm, f2.8

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

Goddamn that enzo looks good. Did you mess with the saturation, or was the paint just that goddamn perfect?

I think I tweaked the saturation a tiny bit but honestly, it was still amazing. That was an incredible day in general - highlights included 3 Veyrons, 2 F40s, and 2 Carrera GTs, the whole thing was insanely good, and the weather was perfect.

DSC_0052 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
This thread is awesome and really inspirational. A ton of great stuff so far. This is by far my favorite category to shoot.

Show Shine & Drag today. Only got a few, it was pretty dead.

Untitled by Fouquette, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Click for big.

Absolutely second rate to some of the excellent photography in this thread but I liked the shadows in this pic. Car is my '98 Type-RA STi V-Ltd.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Ferrari Enzo ZXX by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Ferrari Enzo ZXX and 458 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Lamborghini Diablo VT 6.0 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Lamborghini Murcielago SV by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Ferrari F430 Spider by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Ferrari 458 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Ferrari 458 Spider and 458 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Ferrari 458 Spider by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Ferrari F430 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Ferrari F430 and Lotus Exige S by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Lotus Exige S by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Aston Martin DBS by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Disappointed with some of my panning shots, didn't have time to really scope out the track and find a good spot for that. Also, trying to shoot white cars that are moving fast is a pain in the rear end.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I took a picture of my car months ago.

P2270022.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Cars, Mopeds by Ashade76, on Flickr

:toot:

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
BEEP BEEP.

DSCF1056 by Ashade76, on Flickr

Not Seen: 3 hours later, a convertible F150 towing this car out of 2 feet of surf.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
Do any of you ever get press or media passes for events? What's the process been like for you? Any advice?

I'd love to be able to do this, but I don't work for a publishing media source at all. I just want to get down on the field and go to more events and whatnot.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

MythObstacleIV posted:

Do any of you ever get press or media passes for events? What's the process been like for you? Any advice?

I'd love to be able to do this, but I don't work for a publishing media source at all. I just want to get down on the field and go to more events and whatnot.

This is always frowned upon in any industry that allows press/photographers. It waters down the actual pool of working photographers for those who just want pretty flickr pages. Dont be that guy.

You can pay for VIP passes and pit passes for race days. Ive done this at PIR in Portland every Rose Cup Race for the last 3 years.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147

Musket posted:

This is always frowned upon in any industry that allows press/photographers. It waters down the actual pool of working photographers for those who just want pretty flickr pages. Dont be that guy.

You can pay for VIP passes and pit passes for race days. Ive done this at PIR in Portland every Rose Cup Race for the last 3 years.

I completely understand and agree with that. I guess what I mean is eventually I'd like to be one of those working photographers and does anyone do that now, and if so what is it like.

I've never done a VIP pass but that is something I may look into in the future, thanks.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I've just recovered from an awesome weekend at Goodwood for the Festival of Speed. Here's a few of the best shots, click through for the whole album.

DSC_0043 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0639 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0726 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0185 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0263 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0723 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0143 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0469 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

IMG_8478-edit by emotiveMedia, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

20130720-DSC_0228-2 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

GMC Syclone by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

20130720-DSC_0082 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

20130720-DSC_0083 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr
The plate is a lie It now has a LS7

20130720-DSC_0198 by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

The rest here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tylerhuestis/sets/72157634738065529/with/9341507356/

Lighting was pretty harsh, was clear sunny skies from 10:30-2 on some really old asphalt, and the lot was pretty small and fenced in so it was hard to set up for decent panning shots.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
New England Forest Rally 2013!

Entire set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fouquette/sets/72157634835861500/

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009
Some close up photos I took a few years ago. And an airplane engine for kicks.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

IMG_0127 by emotiveMedia, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

went to http://www.rocknaugust.com/ on Friday evening:

1963 Ford Thunderbird by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

1968 Shelby Cobra GT-350 Fastback by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Etched glass on a 1929 Ford Model A Phaeton by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Cadillac Eldorado Convertible by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

the other 125: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tylerhuestis/sets/72157635014138931/

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
First attempt at panning photos. I don't think I did too bad.

Also got to hang out with this guy all day:

H0TSauce
Mar 12, 2002

What's the story here? Porsche Fireworks?

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I've just recovered from an awesome weekend at Goodwood for the Festival of Speed. Here's a few of the best shots, click through for the whole album.

DSC_0263 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0723 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

Went out with a fellow Goon (GTi_Guy) and took some shots of his NSX. It was the first time we took some serious shots, and after all the fun we had tonight, I'm sure it won't be the last.

NSX-01 by nageeb_, on Flickr

NSX-02 by nageeb_, on Flickr

NSX-03 by nageeb_, on Flickr

NSX-04 by nageeb_, on Flickr

And a few from a car cruise/meetup at a hangar at Pearson Airport (YYZ) in Toronto (Full Set) :

_DSC0032.jpg by nageeb_, on Flickr

_DSC0062.jpg by nageeb_, on Flickr

_DSC0113.jpg by nageeb_, on Flickr

_DSC0071-Edit.jpg by nageeb_, on Flickr

H0TSauce fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 12, 2013

H0TSauce
Mar 12, 2002

This is a nice shot. It's too bad there's someone in the background. With the guy gone and the door closed, this could have been an even better pic.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Shot my own car and a friends car after lunch today since I had my gear with me

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

H0TSauce posted:

What's the story here? Porsche Fireworks?

The Festival has a sculpture each year themed on a particular marque or model of car, and this year it was '50 years of the 911'.
The fireworks were just part of the festival parade, and not specifically anything to do with Porsche.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Here's a few of mine. Taken at a small weekly car show with horrible lighting conditions. I think most of these have been posted around AI but they can go here too :)

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

GOLDENHOUR by avidMedia, on Flickr

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Emotive - is there a trick to getting the sunlight like you have in these shots? I'm relatively new and just love the effect. I just bought my first car so I am curious on how to duplicate :]

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

That shot is actually almost straight out of the camera... I only did minor contrast adjustments.

Just shoot at sundown (golden hour)... I shot into the sun in that shot, obviously. Just play around and you'll get it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Captain Apollo posted:

Emotive - is there a trick to getting the sunlight like you have in these shots? I'm relatively new and just love the effect. I just bought my first car so I am curious on how to duplicate :]
What you're describing is called lens flare. Different lenses react differently but the basic idea is to put a bright light source somewhere near the edge of the frame. The light bounces around inside the lens when it hits it at an acute angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Photographed this yesterday. Wrapped in chrome gold.

• Locked thread