Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Error 404 posted:

So maybe you'd want something kind of like this?

SFX: Kinetic Bombardment: Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target and then add a die from the doom pool to your attack action. Step up the doom pool die by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when done.

Limit: Collateral Damage. Both 1's and 2's in your dice pools count as opportunities, although only 1's are excluded from use in your actions and reactions.

I'll be honest, I don't like lumping together SFX like you did with Kinetic Bombardment. It just feels like it makes your abilities less clear for very little gain. Also, as written you can't benefit from tackling a single guy through an office building because it's technically only against a single entity even though that's the kind of the thing the Berserk-esque part of that SFX is there for.

Personally, I'd rather write it out like this:

SFX: Kinetic Bombardment: When using Superhuman Flight in an attack action, add a a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.]/i]
SFX: Unstoppable Force: Add a die from the doom pool to your next attack action. After the attack, step up the doom die and return it to the doom pool.
Limit: Collateral Damage: [i]Both 1's and 2's in your dice pools count as opportunities, although only 1's are excluded from use in your actions and reactions.

(Also, Invulnerable is for characters that ignore big attacks all the time. Since your character seems to be all about flying into and through things, I'd say that they've earned having both Durability d12 and Invulnerable.)

EDIT: I forgot about Unleashed entirely until ibntumart mentioned it. That one fits better than the renamed Berserk SFX if the collateral damage is accidental, but not as well if you're intentionally flying people through buildings all the time. Then again, you can model occasionally flying someone through a building with a stunt if you really wanted to, so Unleashed is probably the safer bet here.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Error 404 posted:

So maybe you'd want something kind of like this?

The problem is that the Collateral limit should only apply when they use one of their powers in a very specific way, and always applies in that case. It's only when the power is used with the Area SFX that it really causes collateral damage worthy of Growing Dread. If I give the character separate Area/Unleashed SFXs and a general Growing Dread limit on the whole power set, that means using the powers in a different way would also have collateral, and that they could use Area without Unleashed and vice versa.

Maybe I should make a separate power set with that specific application of their powers so the whole set can get the limit and the mish-mash SFX doesn't apply to normal uses of their powers?

And yeah, I know the similarities to Cannonball but his sheet doesn't have anything like that kind of "devastating area attack with huge collateral" thing going.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
My Civil War game ended on Monday night. There were thrills, spills, ups and downs, and everyone had a grand old time. But you're not here to listen to me tell you about how great my fanfiction is. No, you're here for datafiles. Like this guy:

quote:

Kang the Conqeror
Solo 3d10
Buddy 3d6
Team 2d8

DISTINCTIONS
Come the Conqueror!
Plans Within Plans
40th Century Man.

POWERSET: RAIMENT OF THE CONQEROR
Superhuman Strength d10
Godlike Durability d12
Force Blast d10
Weapon d10
Flight d8

SFX: Immunity (Spend a doom dice to ignore complications or stress related to hunger, thirst or radiation)
SFX: Multipower (Add multiple RAIMENT OF THE CONQUEROR powers to your dice pool, stepping back all RAIMENT OF THE CONQEROR in the pool for each one added beyond the first)
SFX: Area Attack (When attacking multiple targets, add a d6 and keep an extra effect dice for each target beyond the first)
SFX: Arsenal Spanning Space and Time (Spend a doom dice to step up or double WEAPON for one action, and add a descriptor to it)
SFX: Damocles, Engage! (Spend a doom dice to step up a tech, science or vehicle resource and step down mental or emotional stress)
SFX: Orbital bombardment (Spend a doom dice to step up and double FORCE BLAST for one action, then shut down FORCE BLAST. Activate an opportunity to recover)
SFX: Large Scale Threat (Kang always uses his Solo affiliation dice, unless working with beings of similar scope. Defeat a solo dice with d12 stress)
Limit: Epic Arrogance (Kang may not spend doom dice to use his effect dice from a reaction pool, unless the hero has previously inflicted stress or a complication on him)
Limit: INFERIOR WORMS! (Step up mental or emotional stress from more primitive life-forms to gain d6 doom)

SPECIALTIES

Combat Master: d10
Cosmic Master: d10
Menace Master: d10
Psych Master: d10
Science Grand Master: d12
Tech Grand Master: d12
Vehicle Master: d10

I had him show up at the climax trying to exploit their weakness to alter the timestream, to give the players a reason to stop fighting. You could probably stand to bump his affiliation dice up a notch or two, I just didn't want the fight to drag on too long.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The problem is that the Collateral limit should only apply when they use one of their powers in a very specific way, and always applies in that case. It's only when the power is used with the Area SFX that it really causes collateral damage worthy of Growing Dread. If I give the character separate Area/Unleashed SFXs and a general Growing Dread limit on the whole power set, that means using the powers in a different way would also have collateral, and that they could use Area without Unleashed and vice versa.

Maybe I should make a separate power set with that specific application of their powers so the whole set can get the limit and the mish-mash SFX doesn't apply to normal uses of their powers?

And yeah, I know the similarities to Cannonball but his sheet doesn't have anything like that kind of "devastating area attack with huge collateral" thing going.

I'd maybe do it by giving him a version of Area that adds d8s instead of d6s, but then moves the largest die in your pool to the doom pool after the roll.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My Gambit sheet has a SFX that steps up his kinetic control but in exchange adds Growing Dread to his limits. You could do the same thing, just add "when using this SFX, both 1s and 2s count as opportunities" or whatever penalty you want to the end of SFX: Area Effect.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Both of those work. Thanks for the suggestions!

e; for the record, this is what I ended up going with:

quote:

Ballistic
Solo d8 Buddy d6 Team d10

"Mach 6 Girl"
"Temper, Temper"
"She's Just a Kid!"

Power Set: Personal Psionic Field
Supersonic Flight d10
Godlike Durability d12

SFX: Area: against multiple target, add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Berserk: add a die from the doom pool to one or more attack actions. Step up the doom pool die by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when you're done.
SFX: Invulnerability: if your reaction dice pool includes Godlike Durability, spend 1PP to ignore physical stress or trauma.

Limit: Conscious Activation: if stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown Personal Psionic Field. Recover Personal Psionic Field when stress is recovered or you awake.
Limit: Collateral: if an attack action in which you used Supersonic Flight fails, add d6 to the doom pool.

Acrobatics Expert d8
Combat Expert d8

Short Fuse
1XP when your Collateral limit triggers for the first time in a scene.
3XP when your loss of temper causes harm to someone you like or admire.
10XP when you either admit your anger issues and agree to work on solving them, or when you decide you're comfortable with your destructive impulses, and drat the consequences.

Aren't You A Bit Young For This?
1XP when someone tells you you're too young.
3XP when a teammate or enemy underestimates you because of your age.
10XP when the adults finally recognise that your age doesn't matter and you belong on the team, or when you realise that you are too young and decide to take a break from being a superhero.

I made Collateral d6, since it systematically applies to every attack using Flight and she also has Berserk to represent the flying people through buildings thing; I was a bit worried she'd be adding a million d10s to the doom pool otherwise.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 18, 2014

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Got bored at work, so I statted up some of my old CoX characters.

GILLIAN FROST (public)
An anthropologist and psychologist who managed to gain the blessing of a powerful north wind spirit while poking about in a frozen city in the Arctic Circle. She tries to balance her duties as an educator and a researcher with defending people from other magic-users.

AFFILIATIONS
Team d10, Buddy d8, Solo d6

DISTINCTIONS
Withering Wit
Respected Social Scientist
Magic is Dangerous

POWER SETS

BLESSING OF THE NORTH WIND
Weather Mastery d10
Ice Mastery d10
Subsonic Flight d8
Lightning Blast d8

SFX: Harsh Weather. When using Ice Mastery or Weather Mastery to create a complication, add a d6 and step up the effect.

SFX: Multipower. Add more than one BLESSING OF THE NORTH WIND power to a pool, stepping down each die once for every power after the first.

SFX: Force 10. Step up or double Weather Mastery for a single roll, then add a die equal to its original size to the Doom Pool.

Limit: Exhaustion. Shut down a BLESSING OF THE NORTH WIND power in order to gain a PP. Activate an opportunity or experience a transition scene to recover.

SPECIALTIES
Science Expert d8
Mystic Expert d8

MILESTONES
Science vs Magic
1 XP when you complain that your mystic powers are overshadowing your scientific qualifications.
3 XP when you create an advantage or resource using your Mystic Expert specialty.
10 XP when you either turn away from your mystic powers for good* or when you take the plunge and commit to the path of sorcery.

*Replacing them with a scientific or technological equivalent (or totally different power set) is a good way to score the 10 XP and still remain part of the game.

Coldheart
1 XP when you suppress an emotional reaction to something in favour of a 'rational' response.
3 XP when you add your emotional stress or trauma to a dice pool, or otherwise give free rein to your emotional side.
10 XP when you take steps to lock down your emotional state for good, or when you finally decide to open up to the world.

MASKED REPTILE (no real name)
A newt genetically uplifted into human form and schooled in the secret martial arts of the dead, Masked Reptile is a testament to what will happen when you absolutely must spend all of this year's R&D budget.

AFFILIATIONS
Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6

DISTINCTIONS
Relentless
No One Really Expected This
Humanity Is Only Skin Deep

POWER SETS

UPLIFTED NEWT
Superhuman Stamina d10
Enhanced Speed d8
Enhanced Senses d8

SFX: Regeneration. Spend a PP to recover physical stress or step back physical trauma.

Limit: Experimental Biology. Turn an UPLIFTED NEWT power into a complication in order to gain a PP. Activate an opportunity, experience a transition scene, or remove the complication to recover.

Limit: Not Human. Step up emotional or mental stress received from someone playing on your animal nature in order to gain a PP.

THE BLACK KUNG FU OF THE DEAD
Enhanced Strength d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Darkforce Control d8

SFX: Focus. Combine any two dice of the same size in a pool into one die one step larger.

SFX: Deadly Force. Step up or double a BLACK KUNG FU OF THE DEAD power for a single attack, remove the highest-rolling die from the pool, and use three dice for your total.

Limit: Who Thought This Was A Good Idea? When a pool contains a BLACK KUNG FU OF THE DEAD power, treat any dice which roll a 1 or a 2 as opportunities, not just those that roll a 1.

SPECIALTIES
Combat Expert d8
Covert Expert d8

MILESTONES
Just Another Animal-Themed Superhero
1 XP when you encounter another superhero (or villain) who is either an animal hybrid or has an animal theme to their powers.
3 XP when your Not Human limit is activated for the first time in a scene.
10 XP when you take the leadership role in a team of animal-themed heroes, or when you abandon all that to pursue the human side of your nature.

Bridge Between the Living and the Dead
1 XP when you talk to a ghost or other undead as if it was no big deal.
3 XP when you betray an ally or abandon a duty in order to follow the instructions of a ghost or other undead.
10 XP when you either abandon your teammates to devote yourself to serving the wishes of the dead full-time, or when you turn away from the dead in order to serve the living.

And his archenemy...

HAEMOTOXIN (no real name)
The first 'uplifted reptile' worked so well, they tried it again - only this one's evil and favours modern firearms over martial arts. He can often be found rounding up small-time gangs and robbing banks to fund his materialistic ways.

AFFILIATIONS
Team d8, Solo d6, Buddy d4

DISTINCTIONS
Cold-Blooded Killer
Materialistic
Looking Out For Number One

POWER SETS

UPLIFTED VIPER
Enhanced Stamina d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Superhuman Senses d10
Fangs d6

SFX: Venomous. When using Fangs to create a complication relating to poison, add a d8 and step up the effect die.

SFX: Jacobson's Organ. Spend a d6 Doom die to ignore complications relating to blindness or other sensory impairment.

Limit: Exhaustion. Shut down an UPLIFTED VIPER power in order to add a d6 to the Doom Pool or step up the lowest Doom die. Recover with a transition scene or by activating an opportunity.

MODERN ARSENAL
Guns d8
Enhanced Durability d8

SFX: Explosives. When using Guns in an attack, add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for every target beyond the first.

SFX: Collateral Damage. When using an effect die to add to the Doom Pool, you may instead add two dice at one step lower, or three dice at two steps lower.

Limit: Gear. Shut down a MODERN ARSENAL power in order to add a d6 to the Doom Pool or step up the lowest Doom die. Recover with a transition scene or by activating an opportunity.

SPECIALTIES
Combat Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Crime Expert d8
Vehicle Expert d8

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So, I really like this system. How good is the Hacker book that was just put out for running things at this power level?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
At what power level?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
A handy list of the games currently being run:

Hope I caught all of them!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

At what power level?

The general one that Marvel ran. Which, I guess is like, not. But you get what I mean.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Okay, so I'm launching a new MHRP game, set in the 1960's. The goal is to re-write the silver age with a little more emphasis on real-world issues, while retaining that quirky corn-ball charm of Stan Lee's writing. If you think that sounds good, give it a look!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639382

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So it's Interlude Time at the dwarf's gaming table, and this time our interlude game (scheduled for 2-3 sessions at most) is MARVEL FASERIP! :toot:

The group unanimously wanted to make their own characters, so a few quick questions...

(1) Basic or Advanced? I am thinking Basic because this is like 10ish total hours of play-time, but don't want to short-change the experience if Advanced chargen makes cooler heroes. I am totally cool smashing the two together, and doing like Advanced chargen/powers but Basic other rules or whatever.

(2) Any good adventures we can smash through in like 10 hours?

I haven't played this game in ... what, 25 years? So any advice is awesome.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Basic is much simpler to just dive into. Plus you can easily use any Advanced characters or modules, too. Just treat Shift Y and Z as Shift X, and anything above Class 1000 is Class 1000.

I think you can pretty easily get through Breeder Bombs or Last Resort in 10 hours. Probably Cat's Paw, too. Really most of them, come to think of it, since this is an old school TSR game so a lot of it relies on combat, and combat is pretty streamlined in Basic from what I recall.

You could go all ambitious and start the first Secret Wars module, too. No reason you can't run them through some of the Battleworld stuff and round it out with random superhero on supervillain match-ups. They may even want to play another few sessions if they enjoy it enough.

Funny you posted this when you did, by the way. I was looking over some Advanced MSH modules this weekend and musing running them in MHRPG.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Cool - I will look into those. I am 99% sure I ran ... Time Trap maybe? ... back when I was a kid.

I remember the Cosmos Cubed adventures very well. I don't remember if we ever played 'em though.

Oh! And for ... uh ... science? ... I rolled up a character tonight. I got an Alien with Animal Transformation. I was bummed because all my stats were Good (no, seriously, all of them except Psyche) until I saw he could turn into a Dinosaur. I was pretty okay with that.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Ha, the Cosmos Cubed ones were precisely the ones I was looking at. A fun way to get more mileage from the Annihilation Event book or so I am telling myself.

I wasted so many hours rolling up improbable superheroes with the Ultimate Power Book back in the day. I loved how you could get an angel PC with Monstrous Reality Alteration and Poor Prehensile Hair almost as easily as a half-robot(usuform)/half-undead with Excellent Hyper-Olfactory Sense and Feeble Berserking.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ibntumart posted:

Ha, the Cosmos Cubed ones were precisely the ones I was looking at. A fun way to get more mileage from the Annihilation Event book or so I am telling myself.

I wasted so many hours rolling up improbable superheroes with the Ultimate Power Book back in the day. I loved how you could get an angel PC with Monstrous Reality Alteration and Poor Prehensile Hair almost as easily as a half-robot(usuform)/half-undead with Excellent Hyper-Olfactory Sense and Feeble Berserking.
Yeah, I remember the biggest problem we had with those was Gladiator doing 500 damage on a charge...

Still, I have a huge soft spot for cosmic Marvel.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Hey dwarf74, how did the FASERIP sessions go?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ibntumart posted:

Hey dwarf74, how did the FASERIP sessions go?
Just had one so far, yesterday. It went ... okay.

Characters were randomly generated. I had...

Dr. Kingsford - mutant with Poor charcoal body armor and Monstrous Fire Control. Zippos himself aflame, then uses that to attack
Captapult (groan) - altered human with Monstrous strength, remarkable earth control, and elongation.
Tankbuster - hi-tech wonder who rolled amazingly well on his suit, so ended up with Monstrous agility. Energy touch attack.
1101 - alien with Energy Transformation
[robot whose name i forgot] - gravity manipulation and a ranged stunning attack that mostly served to drain bad guys' karma.
[altered human whose name i forgot] - shrinking, elongation, and a web attack. very weird, but cool.

I ran Time Trap, and the party had a good deal of trouble with both Mimic (seriously, the party had a lot of high stats spread all around, which Mimic ended up with) and Drax.

Combat took longer than I remembered or expected.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I've been reading a lot of Thunderbolts and Superior Foes of Spider-Man lately and it got me to thinking. Has anyone ever tried a villain-based game, either as just a supervillain group or Thunderbolts-style set-up or even a one-off grouping like MODOK's 11? 'Cause that could be really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I haven't seen it run, but the Thunderbolts scenarios in Fifty State Initiative are designed for exactly this.

• Locked thread