Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

neonchameleon posted:

And I'm fairly sure that Hulk could flatten Punisher unless Punisher played it smart - although I'm surprised Hulk has Healing Factor and not Invulnerable. The Punisher can win some rounds against the Hulk - but the Hulk's going to just shrug the damage off.

That's part of the appeal of the system for me, it rewards playing it smart. Frank could inflict mental stress using flashbangs in order to disorient the Hulk. He could create a complication by blowing up the ground under the Hulk and dropping him in a hole, or putting semtex on a building and collapsing it onto him, and step that complication up past d12. He could shout at the Hulk about all the collateral damage and casualties the rampage is causing, inflicting emotional stress. If all else fails, he could just shoot him over and over and force him to SFX the damage away until Hulk's out of doom dice and can't do it anymore (although he runs a very good chance of getting splattered while he tries to do so).

It's a benefit of playing an SFX-heavy character. People have lots of stress recovery abilities, but there's not much they can do against well-applied complications. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Solomonic posted:

That's part of the appeal of the system for me, it rewards playing it smart. Frank could inflict mental stress using flashbangs in order to disorient the Hulk. He could create a complication by blowing up the ground under the Hulk and dropping him in a hole, or putting semtex on a building and collapsing it onto him, and step that complication up past d12. He could shout at the Hulk about all the collateral damage and casualties the rampage is causing, inflicting emotional stress. If all else fails, he could just shoot him over and over and force him to SFX the damage away until Hulk's out of doom dice and can't do it anymore (although he runs a very good chance of getting splattered while he tries to do so).

It's a benefit of playing an SFX-heavy character. People have lots of stress recovery abilities, but there's not much they can do against well-applied complications. :cool:

It rewards playing it smart for some characters more than others - complications are easier to remove than stress (but eat up actions to do so). What I really like is that Spider-Man is rewarded for playing smart and complicating things, Iron Man is rewarded for doing something ridiculous by shutting down either strength of durability, and launching a stepped up unibeam area attack with an asset he created earlier and his tech mastery to Nuke Everything in a Heath Robinson/Rube Goldberg plan he cooked up earlier*, and Thing is mostly rewarded in combat for saying "It's Clobbering Time".

* d10 Solo, d4 Cutting Edge Tech**, d12 stepped up superhuman strength, 2d10 Unibeam, d10 Tech Master, d10 Asset, d10 Stunt, and a handful of d6.
= d12+6d10(!)+(n)d6+d4 - I think that can wipe out a small army.
** We want as many plot points as possible to make this a ridiculous success. Put four of those big dice in the dice pool and we're up to a total of something like 25 - or multiple levels of extraordinary success and taking people straight into trauma.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

neonchameleon posted:

We want as many plot points as possible to make this a ridiculous success.

At last, I have found a term for the kind of successes my party gets. Our Moon Knight player in particular rolls so many opportunities that he can just make it rain plot points on the critical rolls (I have them hard-capped at 5 but he always gets just enough in time for the right moment), and twice now he's gotten so many extraordinary successes that he's immediately stressed out his target. Granted, a lot of the time he has mental stress from calling for vengeance and he's out of PP afterwards, but still, seeing the dude leap into action and immediately decapitate Silver Samurai with his own sword is impressive as hell from a metagame perspective. It definitely mitigates some of my "NOOOOOOO MY ENCOUNTER" Watcher angst. :v:

Going back to gushing about how awesome the system is, I got a chance to run Bullseye recently as a Watcher character, and that 'spend d6 doom to reroll the dice pool' SFX is both useful as hell (especially since he's low on powerset dice) and great from a narrative perspective. Because when I first read it, it came off as 'okay, that action never happened, this happened instead', but the name (I Never Miss) got me thinking, and when I actually started using it, it was really easy to work into the game's comic book narrative style. Like, he's fighting a hero on an airliner, and he throws a knife - I roll pretty badly for the action pool, so I spend a doom die and say "Well, the knife soars over your shoulder...because he wasn't aiming for you, he was aiming for the wall behind you, and now the knife ricochets off the wall, hits an overhead compartment, and drops luggage on you" and reroll.

It incorporates all kinds of combat and powers well, and I'm willing to bet it could be easily adapted to universes other than Marvel. It's great to see somebody else who likes the system as much as I do because I don't feel it gets nearly enough love, it should be right up there with FATE in terms of roleplay-driven gaming.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Solomonic posted:

At last, I have found a term for the kind of successes my party gets. Our Moon Knight player in particular rolls so many opportunities that he can just make it rain plot points on the critical rolls (I have them hard-capped at 5 but he always gets just enough in time for the right moment), and twice now he's gotten so many extraordinary successes that he's immediately stressed out his target. Granted, a lot of the time he has mental stress from calling for vengeance and he's out of PP afterwards, but still, seeing the dude leap into action and immediately decapitate Silver Samurai with his own sword is impressive as hell from a metagame perspective. It definitely mitigates some of my "NOOOOOOO MY ENCOUNTER" Watcher angst. :v:

It warms my heart that your player is running Moon Knight pitch perfect.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Mr. Maltose posted:

It warms my heart that your player is running Moon Knight pitch perfect.

I have him regularly undergo vivid hallucinations of the people he's killed, but that may have to come to an end soon - he started with just Bushman (as per canon) and has since added four other supervillains. It's getting crowded.

If anybody else on Watcher duty is running a game over the holidays, a holiday-themed custom scene was released earlier this week and I tested it out with my group in today's session. It's really good for a one-off, particularly if you want to encourage your players to rely on more than just physical stress for everything - the Hulk in this one isn't dependent on doom dice for his SFX. In fact, he generates doom dice to symbolize him getting madder as people hit him, and the party didn't really catch onto this until he'd already been hit hard twice and loaded the Doom Pool, so they really got beaten up.

The fight ended at last, with everyone nearly stressed out and exhausted, when Captain America, Spider-Man, and Agent Coulson (who has Thor's hammer. it's a long story) held the Hulk in place so Songbird could direct a sonic scream at him using all the speakers in the Radio City Music Hall, mentally traumatizing him back into being Bruce Banner again. Good times!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Solomonic posted:

I have him regularly undergo vivid hallucinations of the people he's killed, but that may have to come to an end soon - he started with just Bushman (as per canon) and has since added four other supervillains. It's getting crowded.

If anybody else on Watcher duty is running a game over the holidays, a holiday-themed custom scene was released earlier this week and I tested it out with my group in today's session. It's really good for a one-off, particularly if you want to encourage your players to rely on more than just physical stress for everything - the Hulk in this one isn't dependent on doom dice for his SFX. In fact, he generates doom dice to symbolize him getting madder as people hit him, and the party didn't really catch onto this until he'd already been hit hard twice and loaded the Doom Pool, so they really got beaten up.

The fight ended at last, with everyone nearly stressed out and exhausted, when Captain America, Spider-Man, and Agent Coulson (who has Thor's hammer. it's a long story) held the Hulk in place so Songbird could direct a sonic scream at him using all the speakers in the Radio City Music Hall, mentally traumatizing him back into being Bruce Banner again. Good times!

*sigh* I so wish I had the time to run this. The only thing more awesome would be if Hostess fruit pies were somehow the solution. (Imported from Canada, I guess.)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Solomonic posted:

At last, I have found a term for the kind of successes my party gets. Our Moon Knight player in particular rolls so many opportunities that he can just make it rain plot points on the critical rolls (I have them hard-capped at 5 but he always gets just enough in time for the right moment), and twice now he's gotten so many extraordinary successes that he's immediately stressed out his target. Granted, a lot of the time he has mental stress from calling for vengeance and he's out of PP afterwards, but still, seeing the dude leap into action and immediately decapitate Silver Samurai with his own sword is impressive as hell from a metagame perspective.

Nice!

quote:

It incorporates all kinds of combat and powers well, and I'm willing to bet it could be easily adapted to universes other than Marvel. It's great to see somebody else who likes the system as much as I do because I don't feel it gets nearly enough love, it should be right up there with FATE in terms of roleplay-driven gaming.

I honestly think it's better than FATE that way (with the distinctions invoked by the player rather than invoked/compelled by the DM) - and the RPG.net forums love MHRP to pieces. But I think there are two reasons it doesn't get the love it deserves.

1: Cortex. It claims to be a Cortex+ system game - the first three Cortex games (the blue generic book, Serenity, Supernatural) were all second rate at best. So people see Cortex and think of those two games (Serenity was quite popular) rather than giving it a look on its own merits - or looking at it through the lens of the Smallville and Leverage RPGs, both of which are awesome.

For comparison, Character sheets: Cortex, Serenity, Supernatural //// Smallville, Leverage, MHRP - Rogue. Spot the difference?

2: Superheroes. It's a genre that's been done. Done repeatedly. This is what? The fourth licensed game for Marvel alone - and there are at least two for DC. There are at least three versions of Mutants and Masterminds, there's Champions, Villains and Vigilantes, Icons, and many more - not counting superhero rules in generic systems like GURPS. So the market's crowded and you need to know to look for MHRP.

And thanks for that link. *chuckles evilly*

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Solomonic posted:

Fact: MHR does White Wolf's Scion better than White Wolf's Scion.

Okay, let me rephrase that, since really a lot of things do White Wolf's Scion better than White Wolf's Scion:

MHR does White Wolf's Scion really really well.

Solomonic posted:

Hey, those Hulk stats look vaguely familiar...

(That's me, BTW.)

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 18, 2012

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

GimpInBlack posted:

Hey, those Hulk stats look vaguely familiar...

(That's me, BTW.)

In that case, thank you for coming up with the Hulk that dude's event used. Hell, I think it's better than the official Hulk - it beat seven shades of hell out of my players and encouraged some very lateral thinking. It's awesome and you're awesome for making it.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Solomonic posted:

In that case, thank you for coming up with the Hulk that dude's event used. Hell, I think it's better than the official Hulk - it beat seven shades of hell out of my players and encouraged some very lateral thinking. It's awesome and you're awesome for making it.

D'aww, thanks. I totally wrote that not too long after the core game came out; with mote hindsight I'd probably do something mote like a mix of my Hulk and the official Hulk. But I'm glad you and your players enjoyed this one!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I regret not using other types of stress in encounters so far. Particularly, not thinking I could attack Count Nefaria until he'd been exploded by Dr. Strange, because who doesn't like the idea of Tony Stark pumping the audio track from his sex tape through his armor? Maybe I will borrow your Hulk, good sir!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

@Princess Wuffles, mind if I continue the MHRP write-up on FATAL and Friends?

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Emotional stress and complications are a good way of taking out invulnerable people. As an example, there was a young, inexperienced but reeeally powerful mutant terrorist ripping crap up in my game. Basically he was one of Magneto's acolytes who had let mutant supremacist ideas get into his head. The characters used their Distinctions (like "good-hearted" and "decent" and "humanist" (and "mutant" of course) their Psych specialties, to throw the kid into such torment and uncertainty over whether he should have thrown in with Magneto that he fled in tears. You know, just like a real X-Men villain.

I just got the latest stuff on Annihilation and it is looking really good. Like Civil War, there's going to be some unique stuff in it that's tailored to that Event. Civil War is really where the game started to come together for me and I understood why some of the mechanics (Milestones primarily, though also Unlockables) really worked very well with established Marvel characters and Events.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Annihilation is out! RonPaulIt'sHappening.Gif!!

The Premium Edition, which includes the Basic rules, and The Essentials Edition which just has the Annihilation stuff. It's even bigger than the Civil War book...I did the optional/add-on scenes so ask me whatever you want about it.

For me the main innovation of this book is the implementation of a Timer. A Timer is something like "the ship is crashing" that counts up every turn unless someone does something about it - when it reaches d12, it doubles and goes into the Doom Pool so the Watcher can end the scene immediately. This is ideal for situations where a villain is going to blow up a preschool or cut your girlfriend in half in a deathtrap.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Annihilation is awesome! It feels like there's as much content in this one book as in most of the Civil War supplements combined. I love Cosmic Marvel so I was really looking forward to this one and it has not disappointed at all.

Sadly, I can't anticipate ever being able to actually run the event - out of my six players, only one has any knowledge of cosmic stuff and, as far as I can tell, any interest in it. Still, I'm gonna try to pull some of the lower-end enemies for use later in Civil War, since they'll be going to the Negative Zone prison towards the end. Maybe there can be sort of a mini-crossover.

Speaking of Civil War, an update: so far it's going very well! We're in the middle of act two at the moment and the group has taken very well to being an insurgency of sorts. Last week I sprung a special surprise on them and gave them datafiles for the Thunderbolts, and they got to play as their future nemeses (this let me introduce the Big Looming Threat without really endangering anybody). They took really well to playing supervillains, to the point where I think a lot of people are interested in revisiting the Bolts if we do a post-Civil War game.

...Maybe I could combine the two ideas and do Thunderbolts In Space, although god knows I'd have to find some new power sources for everybody because mathematically I'm not sure how well they'd measure up to Annihilation levels of balance.

e: seriously Thanos is the scariest thing I've ever seen

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I wrote the section on creating your own 'adventure to gain a source of cosmic power' so hopefully it helps. Basically you work out what it is, why nobody's gotten it before you, and what that implies for obstacles.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

JDCorley posted:

I wrote the section on creating your own 'adventure to gain a source of cosmic power' so hopefully it helps. Basically you work out what it is, why nobody's gotten it before you, and what that implies for obstacles.

I finally got a chance to finish the book (busy work week) and this was a great section and definitely gave me some ideas. I think if I dangle the Thunderbolts carrot I just might be able to coax my group into cosmic antics. :neckbeard:

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
The most important question: does it have stats for Beta Ray Bill?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Vomax posted:

The most important question: does it have stats for Beta Ray Bill?

Yes. Yes it does.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Listen man. There are stats for Rocket Raccoon and Blackjack O'Hare in there.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Australian Accent: d10

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Spend 1 PP to step up emotional stress caused by the humiliation of rocket blasts from small adorable animals.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
I love Annihilation so much. It's just wall-to-wall cool stuff.

If you're interested in it, though, I'm going to share the advice that Cam Banks said on his Twitter: invest in some d12's. You're probably going to need them.

On an only tangentially related note: I appreciate that breakdown of the CW books JDCorley, although you seem to have missed the 50 States Initiative book. I'm new to SA so I don't know if you can edit that in, though.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
You guys, MHR is the best drat game ever.

In today's session, my players took on the semi-final battle of a very-heavily-diverged from canon version of Civil War. It was amazing. While one group took down Damage Control (controlled secretly by Mr. Sinister and his Marauders - they'd kicked off a metahuman war because that's the kind of thing Apocalypse encourages), two of their number went to neutralize SHIELD and remove the pro-reg side's resources by taking Maria Hill down from her position.

Those two? Iron Man (who is the co-leader of the anti-reg side with Captain America) and Agent Phil Coulson - with the hammer of Thor (he tried to use it in a moment of desperation and the hammer accepted him, then he fought a duel with Doctor Doom to hold onto it). The fight was phenomenally large-scale; I had Ragnarok and a giant SHIELD robot (the Mad Thinker bot from Annihilation - gonna have it thrown into the Negative Zone next session and use it in its proper place when we do that event) defending Hill, and they went hog wild. Coulson flew through a huge cloud of the robot's freeze beam, then used Mjolnir to absorb all of that energy and blast the robot through the helicarrier's reactor with a one-megaton redirected thunderstrike. Ragnarok actually broke his hammer on Iron Man's arc reactor (apparently OsCorp tech wasn't enough to hold up against Stark tech), in an explosion so forceful that all the windows on the command deck shattered, and then they slugged it out with their fists as the helicarrier fell from the sky around them.

At last, with their enemies disabled, Iron Man took control of the helicarrier by hacking its navigational systems and activated all the retroburners, while Coulson conjured up a gigantic tornado (he spent like four PP on this one roll) and used it to push back against the momentum so it wouldn't crash really hard and explode. Between the retroburners and the tornado, the helicarrier ended up hitting the ground and skidding nearly a mile through Manhattan, taking out a few city blocks on the way, before barely coming to a halt without squashing the rest of the Avengers (who had defeated Mr. Sinister and the MGH-sprayed board of Damage Control directors).

My group seems to like most of our sessions a lot but this one in particular got some rave reviews - MHR does huge spectacular combat with a certain easy-to-model panache. So I told them that basically every fight in Annihilation is like this one (because it is) and oh my god all of a sudden they're psyched.

Guess I better start working on some of those sources of cosmic power!

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Stunning! And yes, I will edit the OP with links to all the supplements including 50 State Initiative.

The most complicated thing I've done so far is one where the PCs, Boston's premier supervillain team, were punching HYDRA agents who were kidnapping a frost giant while everyone was targeted by Thor and the Wild Hunt and renegade SHIELD agents were arresting everyone. That's five sides to keep track of - total insanity.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Solomonic posted:

You guys, MHR is the best drat game ever.

In today's session, my players took on the semi-final battle of a very-heavily-diverged from canon version of Civil War. It was amazing. While one group took down Damage Control (controlled secretly by Mr. Sinister and his Marauders - they'd kicked off a metahuman war because that's the kind of thing Apocalypse encourages), two of their number went to neutralize SHIELD and remove the pro-reg side's resources by taking Maria Hill down from her position.

Those two? Iron Man (who is the co-leader of the anti-reg side with Captain America) and Agent Phil Coulson - with the hammer of Thor (he tried to use it in a moment of desperation and the hammer accepted him, then he fought a duel with Doctor Doom to hold onto it). The fight was phenomenally large-scale; I had Ragnarok and a giant SHIELD robot (the Mad Thinker bot from Annihilation - gonna have it thrown into the Negative Zone next session and use it in its proper place when we do that event) defending Hill, and they went hog wild. Coulson flew through a huge cloud of the robot's freeze beam, then used Mjolnir to absorb all of that energy and blast the robot through the helicarrier's reactor with a one-megaton redirected thunderstrike. Ragnarok actually broke his hammer on Iron Man's arc reactor (apparently OsCorp tech wasn't enough to hold up against Stark tech), in an explosion so forceful that all the windows on the command deck shattered, and then they slugged it out with their fists as the helicarrier fell from the sky around them.

At last, with their enemies disabled, Iron Man took control of the helicarrier by hacking its navigational systems and activated all the retroburners, while Coulson conjured up a gigantic tornado (he spent like four PP on this one roll) and used it to push back against the momentum so it wouldn't crash really hard and explode. Between the retroburners and the tornado, the helicarrier ended up hitting the ground and skidding nearly a mile through Manhattan, taking out a few city blocks on the way, before barely coming to a halt without squashing the rest of the Avengers (who had defeated Mr. Sinister and the MGH-sprayed board of Damage Control directors).

My group seems to like most of our sessions a lot but this one in particular got some rave reviews - MHR does huge spectacular combat with a certain easy-to-model panache. So I told them that basically every fight in Annihilation is like this one (because it is) and oh my god all of a sudden they're psyched.

Guess I better start working on some of those sources of cosmic power!

What's your Sinister datafile look like, if you made one? I'm only asking because I am curious; definitely nobody in the game I'm running will run in to him, especially if they happen to be reading this thread.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Defiance Industries posted:

What's your Sinister datafile look like, if you made one? I'm only asking because I am curious; definitely nobody in the game I'm running will run in to him, especially if they happen to be reading this thread.

I'd be glad to share. You may have to tweak down a few of his powers (and possibly remove the backup plan SFX), depending on your group; my players tend to fight "rocket tag" style, so he's built accordingly.

Mr. Sinister
Solo d8, Buddy d6, Team d10

Mad Geneticist
Colossally Arrogant
Always Prepared

Powerset: Gift of Apocalypse
Enhanced Strength d8 Godlike Durability d12
Energy Projection d10 Telekinesis d8
Shapeshifting d8

SFX: Molecular Reconstitution. Spend a doom die to recover physical stress and step back physical trauma.
SFX: Needlessly Cryptic Monologue. When taking an action to add to the doom pool, add a d6 to your dice pool and step up your effect die.
SFX: Variable Projectors. Split Energy Projection into 2d8 or 3d6.
SFX: The Claremont Effect. When stressed out, spend d12 doom (and give all players 1XP) to reveal that the Sinister the players defeated was a clone.
SFX: Always Have A Backup Plan. Once per act, you may reset the doom pool to 3d10.
Limit: Unstable Genetics. Change any Gift of Apocalypse power into a complication and add a d6 to (or step up the lowest die in) the doom pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.
Limit: An Unforeseen Outcome. Step up mental or emotional stress caused by surprise or the foiling of plans, and add a d6 to (or step up the lowest die in) the doom pool.

Medical Master d10 Science Master d10
Menace Expert d8 Tech Expert d8

Note that even though he shows up on his own a lot in canon, I went with Team as his highest die because he's usually got minions when he actually goes into combat - in this case, he had the rest of the Four Horsemen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yes, he is much like Ric Flair in that way. And many others, such as his unclear role with regards to many people's parentage.

But yeah, I probably don't need to throttle that stuff back much. Our team has Iron Man, Dr. Strange and She-Hulk with Carnage powers, so putting the hammer down on some fools is good.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
A villain getting their poo poo wrecked is a good informal Milestone that will let them shift their Affiliations around while they're on the Raft getting their cigarettes stolen by the Kingpin's guys.

boymonster
Feb 1, 2013
You folks are all just so terribly nice to say such wonderful things about the game, I don't even.

What I love about the two Events we have out so far are that they're not very much alike. They show off entirely different types of stories in the Marvel Universe and we were able to make the game that allowed both of them to shine. And that's a big win in my book.

Cheers,
Cam

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

^^ Just a heads up, but signing posts is frowned on. ^^

This game does rock crazy hard. My group loved it, and I'm thinking about running more once I pick up Annihilation.

neonchameleon posted:

@Princess Wuffles, mind if I continue the MHRP write-up on FATAL and Friends?

Jesus, I forgot about this thread. Go right ahead, man. No worries.

PrincessWuffles fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 9, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just picked up Annihilation finally, goddamn this is a quality rear end supplement. At first my group and I were hesitant about the game, but since we picked it up it's become one of our favorites. I just know that thanks to this book my group is gonna face down Galactus soon, and that gives me all sorts of happy nerd tingles.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Just want to say, to both Cam and defiant industries, that this system, once you get your head around it, items like Donkey Kong. Out of curiosity, is there a printer friendly version of the casefiles somewhere on the internet, so I can print a bunch of then for people to get together and play.

Just makes it easier if I can just see them.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
The PDF I got from DriveThru came with a set of printable datafiles, so I'd check your digital copy or whichever website/storefront you downloaded it from. And if you don't have a digital copy yet, why not? It's less than :10bux: for the next couple of days at the above link.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I have a physical copy of the first two books, but that's not a bad idea.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The use of wordcount in each of the two available events is brilliant. Civil War is very specifically about Marvel Comics superheroes fighting each other physically and ideologically; so, pages and pages of the event book are crammed with stats for Marvel heroes to fight, ally with, or to upgrade into player-characters. Cosmic space opera Marvel, meanwhile, is as much about large groups and concepts as it is about specific characters, so Annihilation stats only key cosmic characters, but fills a chapter with a bunch of generic space-mooks and those awesome snap-together stats that let you quickly build a Sakaaran Nova or a robot with the Power Cosmic.

I can only assume that Age of Apocalypse will have random tables for rolling arbitrary changes and shocking revelations about your character. "So in this reality, Kitty Pryde is :rolldice: an evil space pirate with :rolldice: three cybernetic arms, and :rolldice: Cyclops is her :rolldice: mother somehow."

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Age of Apocalypse, like so many X-Men plots, screams out for an RPG adaptation so that you can lavish the kind of obsessive care and attention on the PCs that was lavished on (yawn) the various Summerses and Greys. Same with Days of Future Past, which is why the Warren Spector adaptations were so great.

Armadillo Bandwagon
Jun 26, 2007
These are words that mean things.
It looks like I知 going to be running a Marvel Heroic game soon (possibly tonight) using the Breakout event. None of us have played any of the Cortex games before, and while I知 pretty confident in my grasp of the rules, the others haven稚 even looked at them. If anyone could give me advice about GMing the game for the first time or teaching the game to new players that would be great.

There will probably be four players. Two of them are old-school D&D fans and have been a little resistant to learning new games, but they like the Marvel universe. The other two don稚 know very much about the universe and are more into games with easier rules like Dungeon World or Inspectres.

Aside from teaching them how to play without shoving the entire rulebook in their face at once, I知 worried that they might hoard PP and/or never use distinctions for d4s. Are there any good solutions if they do that?

Also, none of us are familiar with The Sentry. I知 thinking of replacing him with The Hulk and just saying that Banner gave himself up. Any reasons that would screw up the event?

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Well first up, someone made a sweet cheat sheet for the game if you want to throw that in their face. There's also a Watcher version just for you.

Explain how the die pool works for building, and say that the only thing limiting the use of their distinctions and specialties is their imagination, and how they play it out. If they can justify it in their descriptions, they can use it how they see fit.

Every time you roll an opportunity, reinforce that they can buy it with their PP and get some cool poo poo like an asset or a resource or, simply, just boost their Stunts. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM ABOUT STUNTS in case they complain that they don't have enough PP. And if you have reached the point that they don't have enough PP, the players themselves will be looking for ways to get more. Remind them of this and they should pick up using d4 distinctions more sensibly.

A point you need to make clear is that the game doesn't use a grid, or maps. Distance isn't really an issue, but that means that there are no real boundaries on locations when you're kicking rear end. This includes being able to make up sh** about the place they're in if it will help them roll better. Fighting carnage in the kitchen? And they have an opportunity to add an asset or resource to help? They can say that there's a man size oven sitting by that people can shove carnage into. fighting in a hallway, tell them they can say that they attempt to kick a dude through 5 walls into a shower room if they want.

For the love of god and all that is holy, make sure they know they can do three different types of damage if they like! Want to try talking a bad guy down, THEY CAN DO THAT! WHILE FIGHTING! AND IT ALL WORKS TOGETHER!

I think that's all I can point out, but I have only played the game, not run it, so someone else will probably give you a hand with stuff later.

A Really EVIL trick to pull is with initiative. Pick someone to go first, then tell them that they pick the next person who can go (including you. and themselves if it's the end of the round) until everyone has gone. Make sure to casually tell them that at the end of the round it resets, and starts again with the last person in the round picking someone new. Watch them fall for this, and pick you go go last. Then, have your turn... then take another turn with an evil grin in your eye. Totally worth it.

Feel free to separate players if they have a lot of people with high dice in Team, making them have to work a little bit tougher to get what they want. It will also have your players playing lone wolves and going after objectives while some of the team keeps the bad guys busy.

Oh and as for replacing the Sentry, go for it. Why not?

Druggeddwarf fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Armadillo Bandwagon posted:

Aside from teaching them how to play without shoving the entire rulebook in their face at once, I知 worried that they might hoard PP and/or never use distinctions for d4s. Are there any good solutions if they do that?

Putting a hard cap on PP usually helps (my group is capped at 5). Also, lead by example by spending doom dice for the villains - using an extra die for your total, keeping an extra effect die, etc - so that they can see all the cool stuff they can do with PP, and they're much more likely to use it thoroughly, especially if they understand how easy it is to get one back.

quote:

Also, none of us are familiar with The Sentry. I知 thinking of replacing him with The Hulk and just saying that Banner gave himself up. Any reasons that would screw up the event?

No, use the Hulk. He's more familiar to the average person and trying to explain the Sentry would take up a whole lot of game time. Plus you can have the inevitable moment when a stray shot hits Banner or something and he hulks out and throws Carnage into the atmosphere.

• Locked thread