Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I think, though I'm still really new to this system, that I would be in to try and help make some fan-created events and PDFs. It's such a gorgeous system, and it captures the feel of comic adventures and superheroics. A Secret Invasion, Age of Apocalypse, House of M, and even a Secret Wars event could be awesome. So why not make them ourselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I think, though I'm still really new to this system, that I would be in to try and help make some fan-created events and PDFs. It's such a gorgeous system, and it captures the feel of comic adventures and superheroics. A Secret Invasion, Age of Apocalypse, House of M, and even a Secret Wars event could be awesome. So why not make them ourselves?

I'm determined to do just that, as soon as I figure out what exactly I want to do with it. Too many ideas are crammed in my head right now.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Count me in if you need an extra person for any goon MHR projects. I've put together a bunch of unofficial stuff and designed a Mass Effect hack for it, and I'd love to do more, especially in a community setting (the previous stuff was just for the group I GM'd for).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I would love to see all of those. Also things like X-Tinction Agenda that were probably pretty terrible in hindsight but shaped the Marvel I grew up with.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Plot Points blog has a fan made event book for X-Cutioner's Song up, speaking of. It is early 90s as gently caress.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 26, 2013

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
When I was doing an X-Universe game using Smallville, I was amazed at how effective lovely 90s comics were in RPG form. Because they lavished insane amounts of attention/love/obsession on their favored characters, made the entire sanity/freedom/existence of the universe depend on who this pneumatic hot girl wants to sleep with, it made for extremely intense spotlights on the player characters. Nanny is a dumb character until it's YOUR mommy/daddy/abandonment issues she's poking at.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Solomonic posted:

Count me in if you need an extra person for any goon MHR projects. I've put together a bunch of unofficial stuff and designed a Mass Effect hack for it, and I'd love to do more, especially in a community setting (the previous stuff was just for the group I GM'd for).

Do you happen to have any of your Mass Effect stuff in an easily-circulated format? I'd like to check it out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Defiance Industries posted:

Do you happen to have any of your Mass Effect stuff in an easily-circulated format? I'd like to check it out.

Seconding this. I'm just now getting in to Mass Effect and I'm curious about a pnp way to tool around in the universe.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

jivjov posted:

What sucks for me is my next payday isn't until after they're gonna stop selling PDFs, so I can't stock up now even if I wanted to. Kinda lovely to give us, what, 6 days lead time?

I'm feeling both generous and bummed that this game line is ending so abruptly, so (assuming DriveThruRPG allows gifting) I'll gift you one of the PDF supplements you don't already have. All the better to evangelize the system, after all. (That and I'd otherwise just spend the money on another Android mini figure or other thing I don't need.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ibntumart posted:

I'm feeling both generous and bummed that this game line is ending so abruptly, so (assuming DriveThruRPG allows gifting) I'll gift you one of the PDF supplements you don't already have. All the better to evangelize the system, after all. (That and I'd otherwise just spend the money on another Android mini figure or other thing I don't need.)

Shot you a PM to avoid cluttering the thread with giftchat, but let it publicly be said that you're a wonderful dude.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Well, poo poo. I just popped in to say I'm finally updating again over in Fatal And Friends.
New MHR post is here.

I never did find a physical copy of either the Basic Game or the Civil War edition with the Operations Manual. Guess I still have a pdf and all kinds of fan-made material, but drat. I just started thinking about this game again, and now find out there's no more?

It always looked like the Basic Game at least was pretty high on DTRPG's chart, although what that actually means in dollars and cents I don't know. People do have a big problem, I think, and I have it to, with paying a lot for pdf copies, when a lot of the things that add to the cost of an rpg book (glossy paper, high quality printing, large format, etc.) aren't really factors in a digital edition. License was, of course, a factor in this case, I do understand. I don't mean to say that the creators don't deserve the consumer's money, but I wonder if price may have been a factor in deterring sales? I don't know if that makes much sense, but it was a factor for me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The hardcovers were a bit expensive but the basic rule book was dirt cheap in every format so I don't know how much pricing was really a factor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I thought the premium event book idea was pretty inspired too. When I first got into the system, I picked up the core book, and the guy at the comic shop said "oh hey, you could get that softcover with the base rules, or you could get this cool hardcover that comes with that same rules book plus all the Civil War stuff". So I bought it. And the Civil War TPB. (Side note: Civil War was way cooler in concept than in execution).

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

jivjov posted:

I thought the premium event book idea was pretty inspired too. When I first got into the system, I picked up the core book, and the guy at the comic shop said "oh hey, you could get that softcover with the base rules, or you could get this cool hardcover that comes with that same rules book plus all the Civil War stuff". So I bought it. And the Civil War TPB. (Side note: Civil War was way cooler in concept than in execution).
It is a pretty cool way to package your game and give people a wealth of material to get started with. If nothing else, the Event Book stuff is a great demonstration of how to make your own Event.

Also, Civil War would have been a lot better as a comic if they'd remembered to have all of the interesting things actually happen in the main book instead of scattered over all of the satellite titles. Gotta sell those other titles, too, though, I guess.

VV I'm good with my pdf. A real live book wasn't something I need need need, but thank you for the offer :) VV

PrincessWuffles fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 30, 2013

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

PrincessWuffles posted:

Well, poo poo. I just popped in to say I'm finally updating again over in Fatal And Friends.
New MHR post is here.

I never did find a physical copy of either the Basic Game or the Civil War edition with the Operations Manual. Guess I still have a pdf and all kinds of fan-made material, but drat. I just started thinking about this game again, and now find out there's no more?

It always looked like the Basic Game at least was pretty high on DTRPG's chart, although what that actually means in dollars and cents I don't know. People do have a big problem, I think, and I have it to, with paying a lot for pdf copies, when a lot of the things that add to the cost of an rpg book (glossy paper, high quality printing, large format, etc.) aren't really factors in a digital edition. License was, of course, a factor in this case, I do understand. I don't mean to say that the creators don't deserve the consumer's money, but I wonder if price may have been a factor in deterring sales? I don't know if that makes much sense, but it was a factor for me.

My FLGS still has some of the books I believe, if you're interested in getting them shipped.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So this is the thread for posting stuff we made, right? I made this guy. Figured maybe if Tony Stark was going to be away from Stark Tower a lot he might want someone to watch the place, and who better than...

quote:

ADAM JENSEN
(Public)

Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6

Distinctions:
I Never Asked For This
Disgraced SWAT Team Member
Patient X

SARIF INDUSTRIES AUGMENTS
Cybernetic Senses d8
Superhuman Stamina d10
Enhanced Strength d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Technology Control d6

SFX: Retractable Nanoceramic Blades- When you make a dice pool including D8 Strength or D8 Reflexes, you may step back the highest die in your pool to add a D6 and step up physical stress inflicted.
SFX: GlassShield Cloak- Step up or double D10 Covert Master for one action.
SFX: Typhoon Explosive Device- For each enemy in a scene, add a D6 and keep an extra effect die on your attack.
SFX: C.A.S.I.E. Implant- When attempting to inflict physical or mental stress, spend 1 PP to take the highest die from the doom pool, add it to yours, then step it back and return it.
SFX: Sentinel RX Healing Implant: Spend 1 PP to recover physical stress and step back physical trauma.
LIMIT: Sarif Energy Converter. After using any one SARIF INDUSTRIES AUGMENT SFX, shutdown all SFX. Spend a PP or activate an opportunity to reactivate.
LIMIT: Factory Zero. When exposed to any tech-specific complications or equipment, shutdown SARIF INDUSTRIES AUGMENTS and earn 1 PP.

COMBAT TRAINING
Weapon D8
Enhanced Durability D8

SFX: Marksman. When using both D10 Covert Master and D8 Weapon in a pool, remove the highest-rolling die and use three dice for your attack roll.
SFX: Focus. You may exchange two dice of equal size for one stepped-up die.
SFX: Non-Lethal Takedown. When inflicting a complication on an enemy in melee combat, step up the effect die and add a D6 to the Doom Pool.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown COMBAT TRAINING (except Enhanced Durability D8) to gain 1 PP.

Specialties:
Covert Master D10
Tech Expert D8
Combat Master D10
Menace Expert D8

Milestones:
COMPANY MAN
1 xp: When you find key information to report.
3 xp: When you confront a company rival.
10 xp: When you uncover a secret that could endanger your company and either expose it to the world or cover it up.

EX-DETROIT COP
1 xp: When you use your crime or menace specialties to get someone to give up information they normally wouldn't.
3 xp: When you use your skills, contacts or resources to help out someone in a bad situation.
10 xp: When you find the party responsible and either turn them over to the authorities or take them out of the picture permanently.

For the augment SFX, I wanted to simulate having a bunch of different options but only having the resources to use them sparingly. In this case, plot point = candy bar, while the combat stuff was supposed to represent his more pedestrian skills (and also, his subdermal body armor, which I imagine you can't just shut down with an EMP, but whatever). I also wanted to try and represent the different parts of the game, though the sheet is going to skew more towards combat than sneaking, hacking or dialogue.

And yes, I did use a Deus Ex wiki to look up the name of all those augments.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Looking good, DI. I kinda feel as if he should have a counterattack SFX called "Safety Dance".

jivjov posted:

I'm just now getting in to Mass Effect

Don't get in too deep, that fandom is toxic as gently caress.

Anyway, since the two of you asked, I dug it up and pasted it into a googledoc. Keep in mind that I am by no means a game designer, this is my first time doing anything remotely like this, so it's probably not going to be perfect by any means. Hopefully it sparks at least a little interest, though.

I have a pair of sample encounters lying around somewhere - one that deals with a Collector attack (I modeled Harbinger possession as a powerset and think I did a pretty decent job, so I'm hoping to show that one off once I track it down) and one that demonstrates the ship combat system and features a fight with some Cerberus dudes and Kai Leng. I think they're on my other hard drive, though, so give me a day or two to try to find them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm giving you full permission to replace your Kai Leng with Adam Jensen. I bet nobody will mind the switch.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

PrincessWuffles posted:

Also, Civil War would have been a lot better as a comic if they'd remembered to have all of the interesting things actually happen in the main book instead of scattered over all of the satellite titles. Gotta sell those other titles, too, though, I guess.

For my money, Civil War would have been a lot better if the pro-reg side had been painted as a plausible position rather than just 'bad guys of the week'. But that's a discussion for another thread.

I ran a mini-event of MHR not long after release and found that Area powers were ridiculously effective - did anyone else find that, and did anyone come up with a good house rule for it?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I'm planning on running a Nextwave one-shot in MHRP - and I'm well aware that my plotting isn't quite "out there" enough to do the job properly. So I'm looking for help (I've already had some from RPG.net)

The basic plot is a side story that happened pre-showdown with General Anger. He unleashes one of his vilest weapons against the Nextwave team to bring them under control. Lawyers.

Scene 1 the Paralegals arrive (to a Starbucks) with a cease-and-desist order. They file against Monica for damages for misusing the Captain Marvel name, move to have Machine Man declared a dangerous weapon rather than a person, subpoena Tabby for a Child Endangerment case against X-Everything, and put numerous Health and Safety violations in against Castle Bloodstone. (The Captain they tell they'll sue when he has money). These paralegals are, of course, Human Resources Broccoli. And are trying to persuade the Nextwave Team to come to a Star Chamber run by the Living Tribunal

Paralegal: Affiliations: Solo d4, Buddy d6 d6, Team d8 d8 d8 d8
Distinctions: Human Resources Broccoli, Excessively Pedantic
Powers: Broccoli: Enhanced Strength d6, Superhuman Durability d8, Superhuman Stamina d8.
Limit: Flammable. Step up all stress taken from fire (assuming Tabby hasn't turned them into kibble without the help)
Menace Expert

Scene 2 is working out who they work for. A front of the Beyond corporation, of course. Messrs Dewey, Screwem, and Howe. Transition scene as they decide how to prepare. Dewey, Screwem, and Howe is, of course, also representing HATE.

Scene 3: The arrival at the law firm. Including security guards (which Tabby can treat as cops), more broccoli paralegals, sentient red tape, and sharks. Shout-outs include the blonde vampire receptionist, and a case file for a Dr House that takes up an entire wall.

Red Tape:
Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6
Such A Tangled Web, Duct Tape can hold anything
Powers:
Superhuman stretching d10, superior reflexes d8, Superhuman durability d8
Crime Expert, Tech Expert, Menace Expert
Sfx: Afflict, Area Attack. Limit: Flammable

Security Drones (robot, count as police for Tabby's benefit)
solo d4 team d6 d6 buddy d8d8d8d8
Distinctions: Not very lively model decoy. Sleeping on the job.
Weapon Sidearm: d8
Sfx: Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy. An opportunity is generated (and a dice in the doom pool is stepped up) on a roll of 1 or 2.
Limit: Gear
Mechanical body: Durability d8, Strength d8
Limit: Robot. Step up physical stress against anything robot-centric

Paralegals (As above)

Scene 4 is the showdown with messrs Dewey (librarian/researcher/patent troll), Screwem (Lawyer/Wereshark), and Howe (Rules Lawyer/Munchkin), and takes place on a Number 88 Routemaster (for those of you who know about British legal practice that's the Clapham Omnibus - and for those who know about engineering, Routemasters are made of aluminium). Unless I turn the Clapham Omnibus into a transformer.

Dewey:
Affiliation: Solo d6, Buddy d8, Team d10
Distinctions: Patent Troll, You're a knockoff, Any 4-chan meme

Powers:
D&D Troll Superhuman durability d8, Claws D6, Superhuman Strength d8
Sfx: Regeneration: Transfer physical stress to the doom pool and step up next roll.
Limit: Vulnerable to fire. Regeneration may not be used after fire or acid attacks and increase physical stress by fire, acid, and 'splode attacks.

Internet Troll: Psychic Attack d8, Enhanced senses d8
Sfx: Never gonna give you up: Replace two dice of equal size with one larger dice.
Sfx: 2 girls 1 cup/Lemonparty/Tubgirl/Goatse/etc: When using Psychic Attack to inflict emotional stress add a d6 to your pool and step up stress inflicted.
Limit: Internet Tough Guy. Not sure.

Menace expert d8, Tech expert d8, Mystic incompetent d4

Screwem
Affiliation Solo d10 Buddy d8 Team d6
Distinctions: Blood in the Water, Winning is the only thing that matters, Unchanged for a million years

Powers:
Wereshark: Enhanced Strength d8, Enhanced Durability d8, Superhuman Reflexes d8, Weapon (jaws) d10, Enhanced Stamina d8, Enhanced swimming d8
Sfx: Were-creature Regeneration: Transfer physical stress to the doom pool and step up roll unless affected by silver.#
Sfx: Vicious. Add a d6 when inflicting physical stress, and step up effect dice.
Limit: Objection: Shut down any wereshark power to add d6 to the doom pool

Menace Master d10, Combat expert d8, Acrobatic Expert d8, Science Incompetent d4

Howe
Affiliations: Solo d6, Buddy d10, Team d8
Distinctions: Not as scary as he thinks, Munchkin,

Power Sets:

The Number 88 Bus
Superior Speed d6, Enhanced Durability d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Rules Control d8
Sfx: Area
Limit: We stop when we're requested. Add a d6 to the Doom Pool to allow someone else on The Number 88 Bus. The Number 88 Bus may no longer be used in rolls targetting that character.

Blatant Munchkinery
Superhuman Rules Control d10
Sfx: Rule on Page 94: Step up the affect dice when creating assets that come from another game
Sfx: Bribe The Watcher: Spend a doom dice to reroll.
Sfx: Elven Fighter/Magic User/Cleric/Thief: Step up or double Superhuman Rules Control, Remove the highest rolling dice, and use three dice for the total.
Limit: Really Annoying: Step up the lowest die in the doom pool or add d6 doom dice to step up mental or emotional stress.
Limit: Watcher wants to see him fall. 1s and 2s count as opportunities.

Crime Expert D8

(For those who don't know, the Number 88 was the actual designation of the Clapham Omnibus, and the Man on the Clapham Omnibus is the British legal equivalent to the Reasonable Man; one of the group is a trained lawyer, and the group actually plays in Clapham so they will all get that).
Crime Expert: d8

Anyway, I haven't done the datafiles yet - but suggestions to turn this up from insane to Nextwave levels? Or for some of the datafiles?

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I would give everyone on NextWave the "collateral damage" SFX where they can step up a die in doom or add a d6 Complication to themselves of some burning orphanage or exploding home for paraplegic kittens in exchange for area effects or counting three dice or something. Otherwise, seems good! NextWave villains can have smaller die types because they primarily exist to cause complications/problems and step them up.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

JDCorley posted:

I would give everyone on NextWave the "collateral damage" SFX where they can step up a die in doom or add a d6 Complication to themselves...

This is good and I would expand it to "or other members of the team". If your players are in the Nextwave mentality, a little quasi-pvp (not outright opposition, more along the lines of Something Went Wrong) is great. Conflicting milestones might also be good. Don't make people get into straight-up brawls, but indirectly hindering each other or putting down complications/emo stress is fun when it's done in the right mood.

Additionally, if you end up needing more villains (like if you decide to put in another action scene where someone's guarding the intel about who the paralegals are working for), I would recommend picking up Young Avengers/Runaways and using the Headmen. Because really, Chondu the Mystic improves everything.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, I just got one of the books for this and I kind of want to run my own game as pbp because this system is amazing and awesome and works so very well.

But I don't want to run Civil War because Defiance Industries is already doing that awesomely.

So I'm kind of left with thinking of either running a big name (New) Avengers game sometime after Siege and the rough end of the Bendisverse, or running a Thunderbolts game. I kind of feel like with the focus on Marvel events there needs to be a situation to it - like I couldn't just run an Avengers game where Cap calls everyone together but it would have to be which Cap when how why?

So I'm sort of stuck. Any interest in a particular direction from people/any other ideas?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Maybe World War Hulk? The Hulk is a pretty interesting enemy to use as an NPC.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I don't think most people would be too picky about your time/place setting. You could just say "yeah this takes place sometime after Siege" and then come up with a basic plot (Supervillain wants to accomplish evil thing, plan consists of steps 1, 2, and 3) and jam it in there. Really, given the state of continuity in comics, I feel as if trying to get all the details totally compliant with canon would be an unnecessary headache for the Watcher.

Don't sweat the small stuff, basically, is what I'm saying.

Annihilation Session 1 Trip Report: Songbird's player recently started watching VGCW and surprised me by spiking Ravenous on his head with a hurricanrana through the streets of Xandar. Also, Gladiator threw a destroyer ship from orbit as a weapon. I was a little tentative at first about running the event because most of my group wasn't particularly familiar with the cosmic setting, but their fondness for Platinum-developed video games appears to have bridged that gap and then some.

edit

ibntumart posted:

So would a Fifty State Initiative start-up.

This is one I don't think I've seen anyone use before, so it stands out a lot by virtue of innovation. The 50SI book has all the Initiative trainees (even the ones who mattered for, like, one issue before no one ever cared about them again), and X-Men has the newer crop of Xavier students, so it'd be pretty easy to do a 'next generation' type game.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 6, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Arivia posted:

Okay, I just got one of the books for this and I kind of want to run my own game as pbp because this system is amazing and awesome and works so very well.

But I don't want to run Civil War because Defiance Industries is already doing that awesomely.

So I'm kind of left with thinking of either running a big name (New) Avengers game sometime after Siege and the rough end of the Bendisverse, or running a Thunderbolts game. I kind of feel like with the focus on Marvel events there needs to be a situation to it - like I couldn't just run an Avengers game where Cap calls everyone together but it would have to be which Cap when how why?

So I'm sort of stuck. Any interest in a particular direction from people/any other ideas?

Thunderbolts would be fun. So would a Fifty State Initiative start-up. As for situations, I say just steal a plot from a story or arc you like, then tweak it a bit.

(I would recommend an Annihilation campaign, but truth be told, I'm planning on starting one later this month. Though maybe I'll run a Ronan's Roughnecks game instead and have him and some cosmic bros travel the galaxy.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Solomonic posted:

This is one I don't think I've seen anyone use before, so it stands out a lot by virtue of innovation. The 50SI book has all the Initiative trainees (even the ones who mattered for, like, one issue before no one ever cared about them again), and X-Men has the newer crop of Xavier students, so it'd be pretty easy to do a 'next generation' type game.

I bought it just because it had War Machine in it and I was like "well gently caress, gotta have Rhodey."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think I am gonna take Defiance Industries' suggestion and do World War Hulk, because I can already think of some good ideas for it. Probably because I never read the original series and only vaguely know the concept!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Solomonic posted:

Annihilation Session 1 Trip Report: Songbird's player recently started watching VGCW and surprised me by spiking Ravenous on his head with a hurricanrana through the streets of Xandar. Also, Gladiator threw a destroyer ship from orbit as a weapon. I was a little tentative at first about running the event because most of my group wasn't particularly familiar with the cosmic setting, but their fondness for Platinum-developed video games appears to have bridged that gap and then some.

Did you explain it in much detail or was it more of a "the Kree Empire is blue, the Skrulls are green shapeshifters, they hate each other, the Nova Corps is an ersatz Green Lantern Corps, and Thanos is someone you don't want to piss off lightly" affair?

Arivia posted:

I think I am gonna take Defiance Industries' suggestion and do World War Hulk, because I can already think of some good ideas for it. Probably because I never read the original series and only vaguely know the concept!

The plus side is that you will definitely make it your own that way. I haven't read the series either, so if you do run it, that makes me more inclined to jump in since I won't be at a disadvantage.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I learned about Civil War from Ultimate Alliance 2 and MightyGodKing's recap. I hope Dr. Strange is ready to assume the alternate identity used by Goliath in what I assume is totally unedited canon: Buttsex McLiberace, Male Prostitute.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I just remembered that I never bought that game. Pity, too, as Wolverine and Deadpool as playable characters all but guarantee she'll sit down and play through with me. (Until you're at the end facing the boss in X-Men Legends and need Wolvie to back up Nightcrawler's play, but noooo, something about needing to work on her dissertation....)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

ibntumart posted:

Did you explain it in much detail or was it more of a "the Kree Empire is blue, the Skrulls are green shapeshifters, they hate each other, the Nova Corps is an ersatz Green Lantern Corps, and Thanos is someone you don't want to piss off lightly" affair?

I went with the latter - like, almost your exact words re: the Nova Corps, but generally a minimum of detail and let them play it from there, adding in other stuff as it became relevant. They're all playing Earth-based heroes (except Super-Skrull, the lone cosmic fan in the group), so that means I can give short bursts of exposition to the characters and educate the players at the same time.

For example, "the Shi'ar are space Romans with avian physiology, and they fight wars of conquest often" was really all they needed to start off with (let's face it, Marvel aliens are not hugely complex). Later on, Gladiator made an appearance and I added in "Gladiator is a Strontian - a client race of the Shi'ar - and the leader of the Imperial Guard. He's basically Superman, as powers go." Finally, as Nova Prime and Gladiator discussed the Annihilation Wave's proximity to the Shi'ar territory, I told the players that the Shi'ar recently fought a war against the Kree and annexed a large sector of space.

That was all they needed - everything else just kinda filled itself in nicely. The best part is once I got their interest, they started reading stuff on their own and learned more.

edit: If you're gonna run Annihilation later on, is it going to be totally serious? I have this bizarre interest in playing through a plot where Blastaar is deposed from rulership of Baluur due to a paperwork error and an untimely coup while he was busy evicting door-to-door evangelists from the Universal Church of Truth, and needs to get his throne back.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 11, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Solomonic posted:

That was all they needed - everything else just kinda filled itself in nicely. The best part is once I got their interest, they started reading stuff on their own and learned more.

That sounds like an ideal situation to me. Especially as it was the Annihilation Event Book that spurred me to learn more about Marvel alien stuff (I knew the Skrulls from their Fantastic Four clashes, I knew a bit about the Shi'ar from the X-Men, and I knew the Kree, but everything else was kind of fuzzy).

Solomonic posted:

edit: If you're gonna run Annihilation later on, is it going to be totally serious? I have this bizarre interest in playing through a plot where Blastaar is deposed from rulership of Baluur due to a paperwork error and an untimely coup while he was busy evicting door-to-door evangelists from the Universal Church of Truth, and needs to get his throne back.

I think you can get a sense of my delicate handling of cosmic-level characters here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547580&userid=112603

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

ibntumart posted:

I think you can get a sense of my delicate handling of cosmic-level characters here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547580&userid=112603

Excellent.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you're playing 100% seriously you are playing this game wrong. You can take that to the bank.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Defiance Industries posted:

If you're playing 100% seriously you are playing this game wrong. You can take that to the bank.

That was true for the old TSR game, true for the MURPG, and so very true with this iteration.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Fun story related to how much more fun the game is if you play it gonzo and over-the-top with as much self-awareness as possible:

You know that "Titanium Man shows up in Washington and tries to beat up the heroes" scenario in Civil War? Partly out of the need for as much collateral damage as possible (because I needed to really push the motivations behind the SHRA) and partly out of fear that my group would just oneshot Titanium Man and call it a day, I turned it into a full-on HYDRA attack. So most of the group is occupied inside the Capitol fighting HYDRA agents (and Swordsman) while Deadpool ends up being the unfortunate target of Titanium Man's attack - he's picked up, flown through the dome, and skipped across the Washington Monument's reflecting pool like a thrown stone. On his next turn, Deadpool hops up and creates a combat resource - a mortar launcher.

"You're aiming at Titanium Man with the mortars?" I ask.

"No," he says. "I'm aiming at Titanium Man and all the HYDRA agents."

He mortared Congress to stop a terrorist attack.

As you can probably guess, I had minimal difficulty justifying the SHRA's creation.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Alright guys. Some aid needed here.

In about a months time I plan to debut a one-shot game of Heroic with some buddies of mine. It may end well, it may go badly. I have another game that will probably be annihilation based in July but I'm saving that for later.

Three things:
Is there a Avengers version of Marvel heroic based on the movies that someone has made? If not, I'll just make it myself, it's probably not that hard.

Is there a list of multiple possible Iron man suits? I have this idea of having some of his suits being worn by other people.

WHY HAS NO ONE DONE A DOCTOR MCNINJA VERSION OF THIS GAME YET?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I didn't find any of those things, but what I *did* find was this nifty set of Defenders Milestones (there's others, but seriously who cares because Defenders):

quote:

THE NON-TEAM
Don't call it a team. You've got a job to do. Once it's over you never want to see these people again.

1 XP when you assist another hero that you really don't like.
3 XP when you summon an eclectic group of heroes from across the world (or cosmos) into an informal team.
10 XP when your informal team comes together to face a threat to reality, but vows never to work together again.

PROTECTING THE WORLD FROM THE WEIRD
If normal people saw the horrors you have defeated, they would flee screaming into madness.

1 XP when you are attacked by a being from another dimension.
3 XP when you travel to another dimension to prevent an invasion.
10 XP when you either defeat your extra-dimensional enemy, or become corrupted by it.

Actually, the X-Factor Milestones are good, too. But the Defenders Milestones practically write the plots for you and makes me want to run a game where Doctor Strange basically shanghais PCs into joining his team and teleporting them into extradimensional danger every scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

ibntumart posted:

I didn't find any of those things, but what I *did* find was this nifty set of Defenders Milestones (there's others, but seriously who cares because Defenders):

Actually, the X-Factor Milestones are good, too. But the Defenders Milestones practically write the plots for you and makes me want to run a game where Doctor Strange basically shanghais PCs into joining his team and teleporting them into extradimensional danger every scene.

So basically, the Matt Fraction run that just ended? With the Concordance Engines? And groovy 60's Nick Fury?

Edit for context:
I can't find the exact panel I'm looking for, but this cover art pretty well sums up the situation.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 12, 2013

• Locked thread