Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Lemme get you guys' opinions on a thing I made.

quote:

The Swarm (Fritz von Meyer)

Team 4d6

Seriously, A Nazi Made of Bees
Hive Mind
Insect Supremacist

Composite Hivemind
Bees d8, Intangibility d10, Stretching d8, Growth d6

SFX: Killer Swarm - You may split Bees into 2d6 when using it in an action.

SFX: BEEEEEES! - Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6 and keep an extra effect die.

SFX: Oh, They're In My Eyes! - When inflicting a complication, you may step up your effect die by +1.

SFX: Multipower - When using Bees in a dice pool, you may include additional Composite Hivemind powers at -1 step for each additional power.

Limit: Hive Queen - When you take mental or emotional stress, step up or add d6 to the doom pool to shut down Composite Hivemind. Spend a doom die to recover Composite Hivemind. If you take mental or emotional trauma, shutdown Composite Hivemind until that trauma is recovered.

Limit: They Don't Allow You To Have Bees In Here - Defeat affiliation dice with d8 stress to disperse Swarm. Participate in a transition scene to recover lost affiliation dice.

Combat Expert d8, Science Expert d8

I felt he works best as a multiple-d6 mob - combined with the Killer Swarm SFX, I was trying to get across the idea that his individual attacks weren't particularly effective, but when a bunch of them hit you at once (6d6 worth, in fact), it can be pretty serious, and therefore to encourage chopping down his affiliation die. Does that work, though? I almost worry that I gave him too many dice.

I considered giving him an SFX to replenish his affiliation dice, but decided against it for the same reason and figured that "he regenerated offscreen during a transition scene" fit the unimportant nature of the character a little better.

Also, "intangibility" is meant to represent the fact that it's hard to just punch a dude made of bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Well I like the look of him. If you are concerned that he's a little too powerful (which honestly, given his joke status, it's hard to say) knock a die off. Or maybe even make him a mob of d4s. I don't know if you are supposed to be able to do that, but it might work because seriously, they're just bees.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I feel like bees should probably be a D6, since D6 usually represents small arms and I don't think bees are more powerful than guns.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Yeah, you're right. I think I'll go with that and get rid of the SFX.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

So basically, the Matt Fraction run that just ended? With the Concordance Engines? And groovy 60's Nick Fury?

Edit for context:
I can't find the exact panel I'm looking for, but this cover art pretty well sums up the situation.

How do I miss things like this? I'll have to read this.

Defiance Industries posted:

I feel like bees should probably be a D6, since D6 usually represents small arms and I don't think bees are more powerful than guns.

Unless they're cybernetic bees propelled by a magnetic rail launcher gun. I'm sure some villain in the Marvel Universe is sitting on that very patent.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I told you that one in confidence! You aren't supposed to go telling everyone about the final boss of Act 1.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Defiance Industries posted:

I told you that one in confidence! You aren't supposed to go telling everyone about the final boss of Act 1.

Hey, at least I didn't spill the beans about the Doomwhipperbots.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Hey, I was fiddling around with designing characters, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that might help me. I'm designing a character around "Zoom," the Flash villain, who effectively has super speed by virtue of *existing outside of, and ahead of, normal time. Part of that is the ability to perceive events of the future, but there aren't any powers that do that, or any characters with "precognition" that I can use as a base in any of the books, from what I can tell. Other than Spider-Man's spider sense, that is.

The important thing about this character is that they aren't actually any faster than a normal (athletic) person, so I don't want to just copy from Speed or whatever. The fact that Cable, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver aren't included in these books is really starting to bug me.

*Comic books!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cable is in Civil War, he's just the Cable and Deadpool-era Cable who used advanced technology because his powers were burnt out.

Precognition is a tough thing to handle, though. I think maybe it's something you handle more with your Watcher than your powersheet.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I was thinking of how to do a lot of DC characters too, recently.

Zoom's actual power is time control, really. So he can speed up or slow down time around him. Still, a lot of his main abilities simulate speedsters, he just can't steal speed or vibrate through things. So I'd give him two powersets, one cribbing heavily from Speed (with the addition of his trademark Sonic Boom) and another based around time control. It's pretty tough.

Precognition as a villain character he could spend a die from the Doom Pool to auto-win a reaction, maybe? As a hero spend a PP to either get a vision from the Watcher or auto-win a reaction? Precogs are hard, yeah.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Check this out, DP, maybe it'll give you some inspiration. (I didn't make this, credit goes to James Nostack on the MWP official forums, in his Doctor Manhattan writeup.)

quote:

SFX: The Whole Design is Visible in Every Facet. Spend 1 plot point to use Quantum Senses to predict your own future, either against the Doom Pool or an affected character. If successful, for every effect die you keep, you can ask one scene-framing question or create a scene distinction if you're present in that scene. An affected player can cancel this by spending a plot point; the Watcher can cancel this by spending an equal-sized Doom Die.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I think most of it is covered by superhuman reflexes, and "Spider-Senses" for non-specific "something bad is going to happen in in two seconds if I don't move fast" kind of stuff. I guess I'm mostly looking for non-combat applications of that sort of brief foresight power. Maybe something like sorcery, where the character can create "foreknowledge" assets, or something? Obviously specifics and major details about the probable future would have to be Watcher controlled, but this could be a way for the character to give helpful boosts to the rest of the party with their power.

Edit: The Dr. Manhattan thing seems pretty powerful. I might try to scale it back, and see how it works. I also like the idea of an auto-win (re)action SFX for using the power to actively change the future. I think if I tack a price tag onto it, it could be a nice "Nova Blast" kind of thing for the character to use, when "Future Senses" just isn't enough.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 19, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Hey, I was fiddling around with designing characters, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that might help me. I'm designing a character around "Zoom," the Flash villain, who effectively has super speed by virtue of *existing outside of, and ahead of, normal time. Part of that is the ability to perceive events of the future, but there aren't any powers that do that, or any characters with "precognition" that I can use as a base in any of the books, from what I can tell. Other than Spider-Man's spider sense, that is.

The important thing about this character is that they aren't actually any faster than a normal (athletic) person, so I don't want to just copy from Speed or whatever. The fact that Cable, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver aren't included in these books is really starting to bug me.

*Comic books!

Quicksilver's in the X-Men supplement (p. XM50). His Time Manipulation power set has these two SFX:
  • I Saw It Coming. On a successful reaction against a physical attack action, inflict physical stress with the effect die. Spend a doom die to step it up.
  • I Told Myself. If a pool includes a Time Manipulation power, spend a doom die to reroll.
He also has a Time Mastery superpower in this power set. You could use that for your Zoomesque superhero to create assets and resources.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Okay, so taking your suggestions into consideration, I've developed these two preliminary power sets representing the "super speed" and the "precognition" aspects of the character. I'm trying to achieve a double edged sword kind of balance between using the powers to their full potential, and keeping the character mentally and emotionally stable, hence the rather harsh limits. (It's very disorienting to exist outside of time, you know!)

Let me know what you think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faster than Time Itself
Superhuman Speed(sort of!) d10, Superhuman Reflexes(kind of!) d10, Invisibility(effectively!) d10

SFX: Punch Everything! Target multiple opponents. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target of this attack.
SFX: 11 Seconds Worth. Against a single target, step up or double a Superhuman Speed die. Remove the highest rolling die and use three dice for your total.
SFX: You're Too Slow! Use two or more Faster than Time Itself powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.

Limit: Gotta Go fast! If Invisibility is used in a dice pool that does not also include Superhuman Speed, step up Mental or Emotional stress.
Limit: Strung Out in all Directions. While stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown Faster than Time Itself. Recover Faster than Time Itself when you recover that stress or wake up. If you take Mental or Emotional trauma, shutdown Faster than Time Itself until you recover that trauma.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of and Across Time
Temporal Resistance d10, Future Senses d6, Future Control d6.

SFX: Spoilers. Spend 1 PP to add Future Senses (or step up by +1 if already in your pool) and reroll all dice on an action or reaction.
SFX: Fight the Future. When suffering from Mental or Emotional stress, spend 1 PP to automatically succeed on a reaction roll. Shut down Out of and Across Time, until all stress is recovered.
SFX: I Know What Happens Next. When you succeed at a reaction roll against an opponent, spend 1 PP to create a "Future Knowledge" asset equal to the size of the opponent's effect die. This asset counts as an Out of and Across Time die for you, even when used in an ally's dice pool.

Limit: Blurring Out. If an action or reaction including and Out of and Across Time power trait fails, step up Mental or Emotional stress.
Limit: Impossible Girl. Add Temporal Resistance die to the opposing roll when others try to recover your stress.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Resurrecting this thread without apologies because this game is awesome.

So question for those who started up Annihilation games: did you go with the one PC per player option and finagle a way for everyone to wind up together? Or did you try the Event book's idea of playing troupes, where e.g. the guy who just has to play Gladiator has the other PCs playing Shi'ar PCs, Nova has a bunch of Nova Corps PCs by his side, etc.?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I too was thinking of a thread revival thing. I think we need a big, awesome, group project or something.

So here's what I'm thinking: The game books have a bunch of villain datafiles, mostly haphazardly tossed in, and featuring some big names, and a lot of extremely esoteric ones, while omitting some MAJOR players in the villain world (Magneto, for instance.)

Why don't we throw together a goon-built "fiend folio" of sorts? We can group villains by associations (Sinister Syndicate, Masters of Evil, etc) and use that as a starting point to stat up some ready to use super-jerks, and super-jerk teams, collect them all in one easy to navigate PDF, and have a nice resource for folks to use? I feel like that would be easy enough to do, and probably a lot of fun.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That sounds really fun actually!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'd be game for that. Are we keeping everything 616-compliant though? Most of my marvel familiarity is from the Cinematic Universe films and the Ultimates line.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Well, I created a custom Mysterio datafile for my PbP game, with the help of Solomonic and some spanish Mysterio datafile he found. I think I may have gone overboard with it, however.

pre:
Mysterio (Quentin Beck)

Solo d10, Buddy d6, Team d8

Distinctions:
	Desperate for Fame
	Extremely Theatrical
	Not A Real Wizard

Master of Illusions
Illusions d10
Illusory Duplicates 3d8

SFX: Area Attack. Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6
to your pool and keep +1 effect die.
SFX: Fake Out. On a successful attack action against you by someone affected by an
illusion-based complication, spend a doom die to ignore the effect die and remove
a die from your Illusory Duplicates power. Recover Illusory Duplicates after a
Transition Scene.
SFX: Convincing Illusions. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when
inflicting illusion-based complications on a target.

Limit: Smoke and Mirrors. If your opponent obtains an extraordinary success when
reacting against your illusions, add a d6 or step up the lowest die in the doom
pool to deactivate all of your illusion-based resources and assets.

Tricked-Out Suit
Gas Emmitter d8
Leaping d6
Senses d6
Invisibility d8

SFX: Puff of Smoke. Spend a doom die to ignore immobilizing complications.
SFX: Knock-Out Gas. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when inflicting a
Getting Sleepy complication on a target.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown Tricked-Out Suit and step up or add d6 to the doom pool.
Spend d6 from the doom pool to recover.

Specialties:
Acrobatic Expert
Psych Expert
Menace Expert
Tech Expert
Science Expert

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I'm always up to help out, although you probably want to check the wiki before coming up with anything.

Annihilation update: the moon of Godthab Omega was destroyed. With a suplex.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, that wiki will be quite the project. Guess I could add the Gambit sheet I use since I have it handy.

In-person campaign update: In this terrifying alternate universe, James Rhodes became Iron Man, and then he also became Captain America when Cap retired in favor of him because he is so great. This is all much to the frustration of the guy playing Iron Man, who has gone from being Billionaire Playboy Tony Stark to Iron Captain America's best pal and mechanic. The best he has done now is a woman told him he can hang out with her for 15 minutes if they can introduce her to Rhodey. Also the Naked Clone of Thor we pulled out of a tank became a player character because someone dropped in partway through and hell if I had any other character sheets handy. Despite being known as Naked Thor, he actually wears a shower curtain (as a kilt or cape, depending on the situation) and a fruit hat now.

They are now in space hanging out with the Kree, having barely escaped the Annihilation Wave.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

jivjov posted:

I'd be game for that. Are we keeping everything 616-compliant though? Most of my marvel familiarity is from the Cinematic Universe films and the Ultimates line.

I don't know too much about Ultimates myself, other than to say there are certainly significant differences between the two. I would think going for the most basic (as in, general) presentation for any given character would be ideal, but having alternate versions based off the film or Ultimates universe stuff (or making those their own PDF collections?) would work.

I guess the idea would be; if the character has essentially the same powers and abilities in 616 and Ultimates, then stat them out as simply as possible. Watchers can always modify them to suit their needs.

If they are significantly different, ability wise, then we could either present an alternate datafile, or a way to modify the datafile to match that Universe's version of the character. Maybe in a side box? I think the biggest differences for most characters would be history/personality things, and those would be largely flavor and Distinction changes, right?

Solomonic posted:

I'm always up to help out, although you probably want to check the wiki before coming up with anything.

I think that this could be a good resource to get ideas from, definitely. A lot of these entries seem to be placeholders, and more than a few are... questionable, I think. But we can use the power of feedback to iron out the things that don't seem right, and hopefully fill some of these big ol' gaps.

Astus posted:

Well, I created a custom Mysterio datafile for my PbP game, with the help of Solomonic and some spanish Mysterio datafile he found. I think I may have gone overboard with it, however.

Well, what do you think was overboard about it? Having fought the guy, I can say he felt about right to me (hard to pin down, kept pulling tricks out of thin air to slow our progress, etc,) but maybe I have too high an opinion of the guy. We can certainly work on it, if people are willing (and I'm happy to see that they are!)

And, since Astus started us off with Mysterio, how about we start by pulling together a few more of the Sinister Six, as a jump off point.

I'll make a short "Most Wanted" list, and anyone who has ideas can try their hand at making a datafile. We can fine tune and discuss the submissions, and then compile them into a little PDF or something. And of course, submissions not from the list are still welcome. It's more a start point than anything.

:siren:S.H.I.E.L.D. Most Wanted List #1: The Sinister Six:siren:
Six of Spider-Man's classic villains, banded together by Doc Ock to take the Web-Slinger down for good. Though the Six eventually grew into a full-on Syndicate, and the membership has changed over the years as villains came and went, the original line-up have been some of Spidey's most persistent adversaries.

APB On:
Doctor Octopus Awaiting Trial
Electro Locked Up
Kraven the Hunter Captured by INS, arranging deportation
Mysterio In custody, undergoing questioning.
Sandman Surrounded, with no hope of escape.
The Vulture Picked up at a bus station, yelling at squirrels.

So have at it, and please, feel free to challenge my methods and assumed authority over this venture. Because honestly, I don't know what the hell I'm doing! (Also, let me know if, in fact, any of these guys are already in the books someplace.)

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 10, 2013

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I was asking this in the Civil War gamethread but this is a good place too! I read some blog speculating that Dust was going to be the next host for the Phoenix after her Obligatory X-men Dark Future had her of all people killing everyone, and I couldn't help wondering about non-Summers hosts. How would you design an unlockable powerset for (a fragment of) the Phoenix Force? I'm not extremely familiar with its sordid history in the comics, but the end result I want is "incredibly dangerous telekinetic power boost and upgrade to cosmic scale" rather than "star-consuming space god".

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 9, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

He's in the core book as part of Breakout, so that's one down.

quote:

Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius)

Solo d8
Buddy d6
Team d10

The Master Planner
Megalomaniacal
Brilliant Scientist

Powerset: Robotic Harness

Superhuman Strength d10, Superhuman Durability d10
Stretching d8, Wall-Crawling d6, Cybernetic Senses d8

SFX: Area Attack. Target up to 3 additional enemies. For each additional target, add a d6 and keep an extra effect die.
SFX: Multitasking. Add multiple Robotic Harness powers to your dice pool, at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: I'm a Genius! Step up any science or tech resources you create during an action scene.
SFX: Criminal Mastermind. Borrow a die from the doom pool for one action. If that action succeeds, return the die afterwards. If it fails, you may either take the die as mental stress or step it down before returning it.
SFX: Uplinked. Doctor Octopus can remotely control his arms, and may create assets or complications in scenes where he is not physically present if his dice pool contains Cybernetic Senses.
Limit: Can't Take a Joke. Step up emotional stress from taunting and add d6 or step up the lowest die in the doom pool.
Limit: Cybernetic Malfunction. Shut down Robotic Harness and add d6 or step up the lowest die in the doom pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.

Specialties: Crime Expert d8, Science Master d10, Tech Master d10

I did this in literally five minutes so it's definitely open to debate. I kinda feel like I missed something important but I can't put my finger on what it is. shobon

Kellsterik posted:

How would you design an unlockable powerset for (a fragment of) the Phoenix Force? I'm not extremely familiar with its sordid history in the comics, but the end result I want is "incredibly dangerous telekinetic power boost and upgrade to cosmic scale" rather than "star-consuming space god".

This is a tall order. Phoenix does a lot of wildly varied poo poo, so...hmm. It's always been portrayed as difficult to control, kind of high-risk, high-reward, so you probably want stuff that builds the doom pool or gives you great options at the cost of considerable risk (complications, etc.)

For powers I'd suggest Cosmic Energy Mastery, Transmutation, Space Flight, Cosmic Senses, and Telepathy, to start with. Most of them would need to be at least a d10 (Space Flight's automatically a d12). You can probably think of more, though, because like I said, Phoenix powers are all over the place (I think it heals people too? You can model that with transmutation, though). For SFX, I have some distinctly more concrete suggestions:

1) Double a Phoenix Force power for one action. If that action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to that power's normal rating or inflict a complication of the same size on yourself or an ally.
2) Borrow a doom die for one action. Afterwards, step the die up and return it to the doom pool.
3) Spend 1 PP or take d6 mental stress to reroll an entire dice pool; do both to reroll and add Cosmic Senses.
4) When gaining 1 PP for a rolled opportunity, add an additional d6 to the doom pool or step up the lowest doom die to gain an additional PP.
5) When physically stressed out, you can choose to revert into a Phoenix egg. You are immune to stress while in an egg, but cannot take actions. Activate an opportunity or participate in a transition scene to hatch and resume playing normally.

For limits you want Growing Dread (1s and 2s count as opportunities) and probably something about changing a power into a complication. There might also be a way to model Dark Phoenix, a la Raging Hulk or Void, but I'm always leery of mechanics that take control of their characters away from the players.

edit: forgot to put limits on Doc Ock, whoops

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 9, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Here's my contribution (and here's the inspiration):

Angar the Screamer (David Allan Angar)

Solo D10 Buddy D8 Team D6

Distinctions
Don't Got Much Else Goin' On
Undeservedly Confident
Hippy Idealist

Powersets

Hallucinatory Scream

Mind Control D10
Sonic Blast D10

SFX: Oddly Forgettable. Add a die to the doom pool to keep an extra effect die and apply it toward a I WAS NEVER HERE Complication.
SFX: Everyone Pay Attention. Add a D6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
Limit: Not As Great As I Think I Am. Both 1 and 2 on your dice count as opportunities when using a Hallucinatory Scream power.

Specialties
Crime Expert D8
Menace Expert D8

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Solomonic posted:

The Master Planner
Megalomaniacal
Brilliant Scientist

SFX: Area Attack. Target up to 3 additional enemies. For each additional target, add a d6 and keep an extra effect die.
SFX: Multitasking. Add multiple Robotic Harness powers to your dice pool, at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: I'm a Genius! Step up any science or tech resources you create during an action scene.
SFX: Criminal Mastermind. Borrow a die from the doom pool for one action. If that action succeeds, return the die afterwards. If it fails, you may either take the die as mental stress or step it down before returning it.
SFX: Uplinked. Doctor Octopus can remotely control his arms, and may create assets or complications in scenes where he is not physically present if his dice pool contains Cybernetic Senses.

I did this in literally five minutes so it's definitely open to debate. I kinda feel like I missed something important but I can't put my finger on what it is. shobon

Looks pretty good, but you're right on missing important things: You forgot to give him Affiliation dice, and his power set doesn't have a Limit. I'd maybe give him some kind of EMP weakness or something that steps up emotional stress when he argues with his arms.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

APB On:
Doctor Octopus
Electro
Kraven the Hunter
Mysterio: In custody, undergoing questioning.
Sandman
The Vulture

Hell, why not?

Kraven the Hunter
Solo d10
Buddy d6
Team d8

Distinctions
Maniacal Big-Game Hunter
Obsessed With Spider-Man
The Honor of the Hunt

MYSTICAL JUNGLE POTION
Enhanced Strength d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Superhuman Durability d10
Superhuman Senses d10

SFX: Hunter's Focus. In a pool including a Mystical Jungle Potion die, replace two dice of the same size with one die at +1 step.
SFX: Elaborate Preparations. When inflicting a trap-related or Power Loss complication, add a d6 and step up the effect die.
SFX: Pressure Point Strikes. Against a single target, step back the largest die in your pool to add a d6 and step up physical stress inflicted.
Limit: Regular Doses. Shutdown Mystical Jungle Potion to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up the smallest die in the doom pool. Participate in a Transition Scene to recover.

TRAINED LIONS
The Pride 3d8
Leaping d8
Terrible Jaws d8

SFX: Pack Tactics. Step up or double a Trained Lions die for one action. Remove the highest-rolling die and keep an additional die for your result
SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an extra effect die.
Limit: Out of Control! Turn The Pride into a complication and shut down all other Trained Lion powers to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up the smallest die in the doom pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.
Limit: Pride Cohesion. The Pride may be targeted individually or by Area Attack SFX. d10 physical stress inflicted removes a die from The Pride. Recover The Pride after a Transition Scene.

Specialties
Acrobatic Expert
Combat Master
Covert Master
Menace Expert
Psych Expert

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

GimpInBlack posted:

Affiliation dice

AHA. I knew I'd forgotten something critical (besides the limits, I edited those in later after remembering about it. Man I am bad at this.)

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Solomonic posted:

The Master Planner
Megalomaniacal
Brilliant Scientist

Limit: Can't Take a Joke. Step up emotional stress from taunting and add d6 or step up the lowest die in the doom pool.
Limit: Cybernetic Malfunction. Shut down Robotic Harness and add d6 or step up the lowest die in the doom pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.

My two cents, he should probably be a Team d8 (lead the Six and the MoE), Solo d6, Buddy d4, and I feel like he needs Enhanced Reflexes d10 (those arms are preternaturally aware) maybe Enhanced Speed (pretty fast on those things,) and an Energy Blast of some sort (he does build lasers and crap into them.) It seems like this might make his one powerset pretty bloated, but he's a fairly topheavy character, I think.

Opinions?

GimpInBlack posted:

Looks pretty good, but you're right on missing important things: You forgot to give him Affiliation dice, and his power set doesn't have a Limit. I'd maybe give him some kind of EMP weakness or something that steps up emotional stress when he argues with his arms.

Hell, why not?

Kraven the Hunter
Solo d10
Buddy d6
Team d8

Distinctions
Maniacal Big-Game Hunter
Obsessed With Spider-Man
The Honor of the Hunt

MYSTICAL JUNGLE POTION
Enhanced Strength d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Superhuman Durability d10
Superhuman Senses d10

SFX: Hunter's Focus. In a pool including a Mystical Jungle Potion die, replace two dice of the same size with one die at +1 step.
SFX: Elaborate Preparations. When inflicting a trap-related or Power Loss complication, add a d6 and step up the effect die.
SFX: Pressure Point Strikes. Against a single target, step back the largest die in your pool to add a d6 and step up physical stress inflicted.
Limit: Regular Doses. Shutdown Mystical Jungle Potion to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up the smallest die in the doom pool. Participate in a Transition Scene to recover.

TRAINED LIONS
The Pride 3d8
Leaping d8
Terrible Jaws d8

SFX: Pack Tactics. Step up or double a Trained Lions die for one action. Remove the highest-rolling die and keep an additional die for your result
SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an extra effect die.
Limit: Out of Control! Turn The Pride into a complication and shut down all other Trained Lion powers to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up the smallest die in the doom pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.
Limit: Pride Cohesion. The Pride may be targeted individually or by Area Attack SFX. d10 physical stress inflicted removes a die from The Pride. Recover The Pride after a Transition Scene.

Specialties
Acrobatic Expert
Combat Master
Covert Master
Menace Expert
Psych Expert

I like it! Hits all the high notes, and since the Pride is a separate powerset, it can be removed if desired, or possibly even used as a separate encounter. He's got the strength and skill to tangle with the likes of Cap or Spidey, and enough special flare to feel like Kraven to me.

ibntumart posted:

Here's my contribution (and here's the inspiration):

Angar the Screamer (David Allan Angar)

Solo D10 Buddy D8 Team D6

Distinctions
Don't Got Much Else Goin' On
Undeservedly Confident
Hippy Idealist

Powersets

Hallucinatory Scream

Mind Control D10
Sonic Blast D10

SFX: Oddly Forgettable. Add a die to the doom pool to keep an extra effect die and apply it toward a I WAS NEVER HERE Complication.
SFX: Everyone Pay Attention. Add a D6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
Limit: Not As Great As I Think I Am. Both 1 and 2 on your dice count as opportunities when using a Hallucinatory Scream power.

Specialties
Crime Expert D8
Menace Expert D8

I've loved this dude ever since my angsty mid-teens when I considered changing my name to (a slightly differently spelled version of) this, and googled it just out of curiosity. Thank you for this!

And thanks to everybody for jumping in on the idea. I'm working on Sandman and Vulture (Classic) right now, and I'll try to post them some time tonight. APB #1 is looking good!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Glad you liked him. I'm tempted to do a few more from the WTF D&D series, but in the spirit of Annihilation Event books that shall never be, instead I think I'll have a go at the High Evolutionary. Maybe Paragon, too.

I would stat up Adam Warlock, but the wiki datafile site already has a version. Though maybe I'll give it a stab anyway and see what I come up with.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

So, here's my take on Sandman. He's part Dust, part Hydro-Man, and a bit more dangerous than the latter (as is only fair.) Let me know what you think.

pre:
Sandman (William "Flint Marko" Baker)
Affiliations: 
	Solo [D8], Buddy [D6], Team [D10]

Distinctions:
	Career Criminal
	Dust in the Wind
	Not All Bad

Sand Form:
	Enhanced Durability d10, Intangibility d8, Shape-Shifting d8, Growth d8, Superhuman Strength d10, Stretching d8

SFX: Sandstorm. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep
an additional effect die.
SFX: Smother. Add d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back the highest die in your pool by –1. Step up 
physical stress inflicted or complications created by +1.
SFX: Reforming. Spend d6 from the doom pool to recover physical stress and step back your physical trauma by -1.

Limit: Dust Busted. Step up physical stress from water and vacuum-based effects and step up or add a d6 to the doom pool.

Specialties:
	Crime Expert, Menace Expert.
Edit: I was also considering making a "SFX: Sand Trap. On a reaction against a melee attack, inflict a Sand Trap with your effect die at no doom die cost or spend a doom die to step it up by +1." But would this be too much?

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 10, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I should probably mention that when I compile these into a PDF (which I'm not entirely certain how to do nicely, just yet) I'm going to be retroactively reducing the affiliation die by a step, just to keep them in line with the Watcher datafiles from the book. Consistency, and all.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Well, what do you think was overboard about it? Having fought the guy, I can say he felt about right to me (hard to pin down, kept pulling tricks out of thin air to slow our progress, etc,) but maybe I have too high an opinion of the guy. We can certainly work on it, if people are willing (and I'm happy to see that they are!)

Well, if he can get an illusion-based complication on his opponents, then he ends up as a sort of "mini" Large-Scale Threat, thanks to his Fake Out SFX. I might also have a biased opinion on his strength because I had a d12 in the doom pool at the time, and I never used it in any of his actions that were used to create illusion complication, because his Convincing Illusions SFX would allow him to one-shot a player.

Also, Mysterio is my favorite villain, so there's pretty much no way I didn't make him slightly more powerful than he probably should be.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Astus posted:

Well, if he can get an illusion-based complication on his opponents, then he ends up as a sort of "mini" Large-Scale Threat, thanks to his Fake Out SFX. I might also have a biased opinion on his strength because I had a d12 in the doom pool at the time, and I never used it in any of his actions that were used to create illusion complication, because his Convincing Illusions SFX would allow him to one-shot a player.

Also, Mysterio is my favorite villain, so there's pretty much no way I didn't make him slightly more powerful than he probably should be.

That is a fair point. My thoughts on making it less harsh: Reduce the 3d8 Duplicates to 3d6 (or even d4?) and/or reduce Illusions to d8. And probably nix the Convincing Illusions SFX. Certainly he should have plenty of hobbling power, and a tendency to stick around longer than expected, but Mysterio is a nuisance, not a powerhouse. He should trip up the heroes, certainly, but you are right, he shouldn't be able to one-shot them. What do you think?

Also, here's everyone's favorite flying green grampa: Vulture!

pre:
Vulture (Adrian Toomes)
Affiliations: 
	Solo [D6], Buddy [D8], Team [D10]

Distinctions:
	Expert Engineer
	Oft Underestimated
	Grim Grandfather

Magnetic Flight Harness:
	Enhanced Reflexes d8, Flight d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Razor Feathers d6. 

SFX: Razor Wing Slash. Add d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back the highest die in pool by –1. Step up 
physical stress inflicted by +1.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown Magnetic Flight Harness and step up or add d6 to the doom pool. Spend d6 from the doom pool to recover.

Specialties:
	Acrobatic Expert, Tech Expert, Science Expert, Crime Expert.

It wouldn't be too difficult to change this to the James Natale version. He'd just need some sort of corrosive vomit power, and distinction/affiliation changes.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Hi Marvelgame Threadfolks!

I've read the primary MHRP book and a couple of the splats, and I've run a couple of games with out-of-the-book or GM-made datafiles. I love this system, and I'm sad to see it so aggressively out of print; relegated to player-content-only.

That said, since we gotta take what we can get, I was curious if any of the books I didn't get my hands on ever presented a better datafile/character generation system. Telling players to just "make up whatever powers they want" for their character doesn't tend to lead to balanced character-gen, even in a very mechanically forgiving system such as this.

Is there a better chargen in one of the later books? Or do I have to go to a core Cortex version for that (is there even an up-to-date one?)

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Have two gear-based power sets I wish had been included in Young Avengers/Runaways.

quote:

THE ABSTRACT

Mystic Resistance d8
Sorcery Adept d8

SFX: Pride and Joy. Spend 1 PP to create a resource for the next Action Scene as though you had an appropriate Expert specialty, or spend 1 PP to step up a Cosmic or Mystic resource.

SFX: Room For Interpretation. Spend 1 PP to reroll the lowest die in your pool that is not an opportunity.

Limit: Ritual Magic. Sorcery Adept may only be used during Transition Scenes.

Limit: Unforeseen Outcome. Convert a THE ABSTRACT power into a complication to gain 1 PP.

quote:

FISTIGONS

Fire Control d6
Weapon d8

SFX: Area Attack. Add a d6 and keep an effect die for each additional target.

SFX: Fire Hazard. Split Weapon into 2d6 or 3d4.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown FISTIGONS and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. doom pool to recover.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

Is there a better chargen in one of the later books?

This is designed to let you make random datafiles, but implicitly has guidelines for making a custom one with a reasonable number and variety of powers/distinctions/etc. Another option would be starting from one of the published ones you like and changing things one at a time, I guess- the published datafiles have grown on me but when I first heard of this system I was definitely disappointed that custom chargen was an afterthought.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I made these earlier today, because I was bored. Not on my list, but what the hell, they're close enough.

pre:
Rhino (Alexi Sytsevich)

Affiliations: 
	Solo [d6], Buddy [d10], Team [d8]

Distinctions:
	Big and Dumb
	Greedy
	Head First

Gamma Ray Treatments:
Superhuman Durability d10, Superhuman Strength d10, Superhuman Stamina d10, Enhanced Speed d8,

SFX: Rhino Hide. Spend a d6 from the doom pool to ignore physical stress or trauma unless caused by Acid-based effects.
SFX: Charge! Step up or double Superhuman Strength for one action. If that action fails, gain an Out of Control 
complication equal to your effect die

Limit: Easily Provoked. Step up emotional stress inflicted on Rhino by taunting to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up
 its lowest die.

Specialties:
Menace Expert, Crime Expert,
pre:
Boomerang (Fred Myers)

Affiliations: 
	Solo [d8], Buddy [d6], Team [d10]

Distinctions:
	Aussie Assassin
	Corrupt
	Bitter Man

Outback Arsenal
Boomerangs d8, Flight d6, 

SFX: They Come Back to You in the End: Spend a d6 from the doom pool to reroll when using the Boomerangs power.
SFX: Shatterangs. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Razorangs. Add d6 and step up the effect die when using Boomerangs to inflict physical stress against a single target.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown Outback Arsenal and add a d6 to the doom pool. Spend d6 from the doom pool to recover.

Specialties:
Combat Expert, Crime Expert,
Boomerang might be a bit too much(?) and I'm not sure I'm happy with his distinctions. Not sure. And I couldn't come up with a solid way to make Rhino's charge really deadly if he hits but easier to dodge, so I made his SFX give him better odds at doing big damage (potential d12) and his limit reflect how his speed makes it hard for him to change course or slow down once he starts. I strongly encourage that the Watcher activates it anytime he charges (which should be pretty often. He is the Rhino after all.)

I'd like to ask the thread for it's opinions, thoughts, and critiques of any and all of these villain datafiles. Do they seem fair and accurate? Would you change anything? If I don't get responses (other than my own thoughts) I'll assume they are satisfactory to those concerned. And if anyone feels like playtesting a few of these guys, that'd be swell. Sometimes things look fine on paper, but don't really work in practice. Let us know how they work out if you do give them a try! Let's get some discussion of the pros and cons going, super-friends!

I'd also like to ask the creators for permission to collect them into a PDF, as originally proposed, so we can make a "Menace Manual" at some point. I don't want to assume that just because you ran with my project idea that you consented to actually being involved with it.

Edit: Made the recommended changes to Rhino, and nixed Boomerang's non-weapons powerset. He doesn't need it.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 13, 2013

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

And I couldn't come up with a solid way to make Rhino's charge really deadly if he hits but easier to dodge, so I made his SFX give him better odds at doing big damage (potential d12) and his limit reflect how his speed makes it hard for him to change course or slow down once he starts. I strongly encourage that the Watcher activates it anytime he charges (which should be pretty often. He is the Rhino after all.)

Try dropping the current Limit and replacing Charge! with "Step up or double Superhuman Strength for one action. If that action fails, gain an OUT OF CONTROL complication equal to your effect die."

For his Limit, what about this?

Easily Provoked: Step up emotional stress inflicted on Rhino to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up its lowest die.

Putting some work into the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants right now. Hope to have something up later today.

Claytor fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 11, 2013

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
drat you people are on fire.

Still in the process of turning characters from the movies into heroes and villians for my home made game. Times are hard for some of the villans, and I am tempted to give Ironman a simple distinction of Billionare Playboy Philantropist.

That aside, is there any power sets for using tezzeract weaponry yet? That would definately come in handy later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Claytor posted:

Try dropping the current Limit and replacing Charge! with "Step up or double Superhuman Strength for one action. If that action fails, gain an OUT OF CONTROL complication equal to your effect die."

For his Limit, what about this?

Easily Provoked: Step up emotional stress inflicted on Rhino to add a d6 to the doom pool or step up its lowest die.

Putting some work into the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants right now. Hope to have something up later today.

I like it! I'll make that change to the final version. And yes, this game needs more of the Brotherhood (it needs any of the brotherhood!)

• Locked thread