Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

neonchameleon posted:

And I'm fairly sure that Hulk could flatten Punisher unless Punisher played it smart - although I'm surprised Hulk has Healing Factor and not Invulnerable. The Punisher can win some rounds against the Hulk - but the Hulk's going to just shrug the damage off.

That's part of the appeal of the system for me, it rewards playing it smart. Frank could inflict mental stress using flashbangs in order to disorient the Hulk. He could create a complication by blowing up the ground under the Hulk and dropping him in a hole, or putting semtex on a building and collapsing it onto him, and step that complication up past d12. He could shout at the Hulk about all the collateral damage and casualties the rampage is causing, inflicting emotional stress. If all else fails, he could just shoot him over and over and force him to SFX the damage away until Hulk's out of doom dice and can't do it anymore (although he runs a very good chance of getting splattered while he tries to do so).

It's a benefit of playing an SFX-heavy character. People have lots of stress recovery abilities, but there's not much they can do against well-applied complications. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

neonchameleon posted:

We want as many plot points as possible to make this a ridiculous success.

At last, I have found a term for the kind of successes my party gets. Our Moon Knight player in particular rolls so many opportunities that he can just make it rain plot points on the critical rolls (I have them hard-capped at 5 but he always gets just enough in time for the right moment), and twice now he's gotten so many extraordinary successes that he's immediately stressed out his target. Granted, a lot of the time he has mental stress from calling for vengeance and he's out of PP afterwards, but still, seeing the dude leap into action and immediately decapitate Silver Samurai with his own sword is impressive as hell from a metagame perspective. It definitely mitigates some of my "NOOOOOOO MY ENCOUNTER" Watcher angst. :v:

Going back to gushing about how awesome the system is, I got a chance to run Bullseye recently as a Watcher character, and that 'spend d6 doom to reroll the dice pool' SFX is both useful as hell (especially since he's low on powerset dice) and great from a narrative perspective. Because when I first read it, it came off as 'okay, that action never happened, this happened instead', but the name (I Never Miss) got me thinking, and when I actually started using it, it was really easy to work into the game's comic book narrative style. Like, he's fighting a hero on an airliner, and he throws a knife - I roll pretty badly for the action pool, so I spend a doom die and say "Well, the knife soars over your shoulder...because he wasn't aiming for you, he was aiming for the wall behind you, and now the knife ricochets off the wall, hits an overhead compartment, and drops luggage on you" and reroll.

It incorporates all kinds of combat and powers well, and I'm willing to bet it could be easily adapted to universes other than Marvel. It's great to see somebody else who likes the system as much as I do because I don't feel it gets nearly enough love, it should be right up there with FATE in terms of roleplay-driven gaming.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Mr. Maltose posted:

It warms my heart that your player is running Moon Knight pitch perfect.

I have him regularly undergo vivid hallucinations of the people he's killed, but that may have to come to an end soon - he started with just Bushman (as per canon) and has since added four other supervillains. It's getting crowded.

If anybody else on Watcher duty is running a game over the holidays, a holiday-themed custom scene was released earlier this week and I tested it out with my group in today's session. It's really good for a one-off, particularly if you want to encourage your players to rely on more than just physical stress for everything - the Hulk in this one isn't dependent on doom dice for his SFX. In fact, he generates doom dice to symbolize him getting madder as people hit him, and the party didn't really catch onto this until he'd already been hit hard twice and loaded the Doom Pool, so they really got beaten up.

The fight ended at last, with everyone nearly stressed out and exhausted, when Captain America, Spider-Man, and Agent Coulson (who has Thor's hammer. it's a long story) held the Hulk in place so Songbird could direct a sonic scream at him using all the speakers in the Radio City Music Hall, mentally traumatizing him back into being Bruce Banner again. Good times!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

GimpInBlack posted:

Hey, those Hulk stats look vaguely familiar...

(That's me, BTW.)

In that case, thank you for coming up with the Hulk that dude's event used. Hell, I think it's better than the official Hulk - it beat seven shades of hell out of my players and encouraged some very lateral thinking. It's awesome and you're awesome for making it.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Annihilation is awesome! It feels like there's as much content in this one book as in most of the Civil War supplements combined. I love Cosmic Marvel so I was really looking forward to this one and it has not disappointed at all.

Sadly, I can't anticipate ever being able to actually run the event - out of my six players, only one has any knowledge of cosmic stuff and, as far as I can tell, any interest in it. Still, I'm gonna try to pull some of the lower-end enemies for use later in Civil War, since they'll be going to the Negative Zone prison towards the end. Maybe there can be sort of a mini-crossover.

Speaking of Civil War, an update: so far it's going very well! We're in the middle of act two at the moment and the group has taken very well to being an insurgency of sorts. Last week I sprung a special surprise on them and gave them datafiles for the Thunderbolts, and they got to play as their future nemeses (this let me introduce the Big Looming Threat without really endangering anybody). They took really well to playing supervillains, to the point where I think a lot of people are interested in revisiting the Bolts if we do a post-Civil War game.

...Maybe I could combine the two ideas and do Thunderbolts In Space, although god knows I'd have to find some new power sources for everybody because mathematically I'm not sure how well they'd measure up to Annihilation levels of balance.

e: seriously Thanos is the scariest thing I've ever seen

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

JDCorley posted:

I wrote the section on creating your own 'adventure to gain a source of cosmic power' so hopefully it helps. Basically you work out what it is, why nobody's gotten it before you, and what that implies for obstacles.

I finally got a chance to finish the book (busy work week) and this was a great section and definitely gave me some ideas. I think if I dangle the Thunderbolts carrot I just might be able to coax my group into cosmic antics. :neckbeard:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Spend 1 PP to step up emotional stress caused by the humiliation of rocket blasts from small adorable animals.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
You guys, MHR is the best drat game ever.

In today's session, my players took on the semi-final battle of a very-heavily-diverged from canon version of Civil War. It was amazing. While one group took down Damage Control (controlled secretly by Mr. Sinister and his Marauders - they'd kicked off a metahuman war because that's the kind of thing Apocalypse encourages), two of their number went to neutralize SHIELD and remove the pro-reg side's resources by taking Maria Hill down from her position.

Those two? Iron Man (who is the co-leader of the anti-reg side with Captain America) and Agent Phil Coulson - with the hammer of Thor (he tried to use it in a moment of desperation and the hammer accepted him, then he fought a duel with Doctor Doom to hold onto it). The fight was phenomenally large-scale; I had Ragnarok and a giant SHIELD robot (the Mad Thinker bot from Annihilation - gonna have it thrown into the Negative Zone next session and use it in its proper place when we do that event) defending Hill, and they went hog wild. Coulson flew through a huge cloud of the robot's freeze beam, then used Mjolnir to absorb all of that energy and blast the robot through the helicarrier's reactor with a one-megaton redirected thunderstrike. Ragnarok actually broke his hammer on Iron Man's arc reactor (apparently OsCorp tech wasn't enough to hold up against Stark tech), in an explosion so forceful that all the windows on the command deck shattered, and then they slugged it out with their fists as the helicarrier fell from the sky around them.

At last, with their enemies disabled, Iron Man took control of the helicarrier by hacking its navigational systems and activated all the retroburners, while Coulson conjured up a gigantic tornado (he spent like four PP on this one roll) and used it to push back against the momentum so it wouldn't crash really hard and explode. Between the retroburners and the tornado, the helicarrier ended up hitting the ground and skidding nearly a mile through Manhattan, taking out a few city blocks on the way, before barely coming to a halt without squashing the rest of the Avengers (who had defeated Mr. Sinister and the MGH-sprayed board of Damage Control directors).

My group seems to like most of our sessions a lot but this one in particular got some rave reviews - MHR does huge spectacular combat with a certain easy-to-model panache. So I told them that basically every fight in Annihilation is like this one (because it is) and oh my god all of a sudden they're psyched.

Guess I better start working on some of those sources of cosmic power!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Defiance Industries posted:

What's your Sinister datafile look like, if you made one? I'm only asking because I am curious; definitely nobody in the game I'm running will run in to him, especially if they happen to be reading this thread.

I'd be glad to share. You may have to tweak down a few of his powers (and possibly remove the backup plan SFX), depending on your group; my players tend to fight "rocket tag" style, so he's built accordingly.

Mr. Sinister
Solo d8, Buddy d6, Team d10

Mad Geneticist
Colossally Arrogant
Always Prepared

Powerset: Gift of Apocalypse
Enhanced Strength d8 Godlike Durability d12
Energy Projection d10 Telekinesis d8
Shapeshifting d8

SFX: Molecular Reconstitution. Spend a doom die to recover physical stress and step back physical trauma.
SFX: Needlessly Cryptic Monologue. When taking an action to add to the doom pool, add a d6 to your dice pool and step up your effect die.
SFX: Variable Projectors. Split Energy Projection into 2d8 or 3d6.
SFX: The Claremont Effect. When stressed out, spend d12 doom (and give all players 1XP) to reveal that the Sinister the players defeated was a clone.
SFX: Always Have A Backup Plan. Once per act, you may reset the doom pool to 3d10.
Limit: Unstable Genetics. Change any Gift of Apocalypse power into a complication and add a d6 to (or step up the lowest die in) the doom pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.
Limit: An Unforeseen Outcome. Step up mental or emotional stress caused by surprise or the foiling of plans, and add a d6 to (or step up the lowest die in) the doom pool.

Medical Master d10 Science Master d10
Menace Expert d8 Tech Expert d8

Note that even though he shows up on his own a lot in canon, I went with Team as his highest die because he's usually got minions when he actually goes into combat - in this case, he had the rest of the Four Horsemen.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Armadillo Bandwagon posted:

Aside from teaching them how to play without shoving the entire rulebook in their face at once, I’m worried that they might hoard PP and/or never use distinctions for d4s. Are there any good solutions if they do that?

Putting a hard cap on PP usually helps (my group is capped at 5). Also, lead by example by spending doom dice for the villains - using an extra die for your total, keeping an extra effect die, etc - so that they can see all the cool stuff they can do with PP, and they're much more likely to use it thoroughly, especially if they understand how easy it is to get one back.

quote:

Also, none of us are familiar with The Sentry. I’m thinking of replacing him with The Hulk and just saying that Banner gave himself up. Any reasons that would screw up the event?

No, use the Hulk. He's more familiar to the average person and trying to explain the Sentry would take up a whole lot of game time. Plus you can have the inevitable moment when a stray shot hits Banner or something and he hulks out and throws Carnage into the atmosphere.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Hah, nice. All who would stand against our Kree overlords stand pre-emptively accused. :black101:

Civil War finale trip report:
1 crashed helicarrier
4 destroyed buildings, including Prison 42, which fell into the Negative Zone
1 dead giant Negative Zone monstrosity
3 MIA hero "casualties"
1 violated oath of non-interference
2 Moonstone betrayals
and a Goblin in a jail cell.

All in all, a good campaign. Sadly, we won't be doing Annihilation, as I've recently parted ways with my regular group. On the bright side, I suppose that gives me a chance to finally play instead of having to GM it (assuming I can find a game - time to haunt RPoL, I guess!), so that'll be a refreshing change of pace.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Anyone else who GMs, I've basically been racking up Doom Dice in early fights for a big blowoff, but what are some other ways to make a villain really knock some heads around that don't revolve around giving myself tons of big dice?

Keep extra effect dice and inflict stress and complications, that's always fun. Also, create scene complications that the players need to deal with, like self-destructs, out of control fires, fleeing civilians, etc. - it'll force them to split their attention between the environment and the supervillain.

Another fun trick, although it's unrelated to the doom dice per se - my players used to put each other first in the initiative order all the time and leave the villains for last (they were, not without reason, very confident in their skills at rocket tag). This ended the day they found a villain they couldn't oneshot, and as Fin Fang Foom area attacked everyone, got to choose the person to go first in the next round, chose himself, and area attacked everyone again, I could practically hear the record scratch noise.

edit: you know what's even better than spending doom dice to give people stress and complications? Spending doom dice to target their powersets. Shut down a power or activate a limit or something - I never remember to do that enough.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 5, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I haven't seen one, which is odd because most of the 'classic' characters have been statted up by the playerbase at this point. Then again, original Venom would probably just be Carnage in Breakout with different distinctions.

If you want, I can throw one together for you. Are you interested in original Venom or Anti-Venom?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Little Mac posted:

I think Brock Venom would be Gargan Venom without the Scorpion Powers. Add "Enhanced Strength" to the Symbiote. Change "Brutal Killer" to "Lethal Protector," "Unrelentingly Savage" to something about his reporting background. Maybe keep "Vengeful." Take away "Crime Expert." Solo 10, Buddy 8, Team 6, probably.

Do exactly this for original Venom, that's perfect.

Here's a rough draft for Anti-Venom I threw together in about ten minutes:

Anti-Venom (Eddie Brock)
Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6

Humanitarian Vigilante
Forged By Adversity
Destroy All Symbiotes

Symbiote
Superhuman Strength d10
Superhuman Stamina d10
Superhuman Reflexes d10
Swingline d6
Wall-Crawling d6
Shapeshifting d6

SFX: Alien Goo. When inflicting a restraining or immobilizing complication on a target, add a d6 and step up the effect die.
SFX: Tentacles. Step back the highest die in an attack action pool to add a d6 and step up physical stress inflicted.
SFX: Separation Anxiety. Spider-Man's Spider Sense SFX cannot be used in a reaction against a dice pool including a Symbiote power.
Limit: Mentally Unstable. Step up mental stress received to earn 1 PP.

Leukocyte Mutation
Superhuman Durability d10
Transmutation d10

SFX: Healing Factor. Add Transmutation to your dice pool when helping others recover physical stress. Spend 1 pp to recover your own or another’s physical stress, or to step back your own or another’s physical trauma.
SFX: Anathema. Step up or double a Leukocyte Mutation die used in an action or reaction against a symbiote.
SFX: Versatile. Replace Transmutation die with 2d8 or 3d6 on your next roll.
Limit: Cleanse the Cells. Transmutation only affects organic targets.
Limit: Mr. Negative. You cannot use a Leukocyte Mutation power in a reaction against an attack involving negative energy.

Acrobatic Expert d8
Combat Expert d8
Medical Expert d8 (This one is optional - I'm trying to model the intuitive expertise that the symbiote gives him rather than any kind of formal training. If you want to get rid of it feel free)
Menace Expert d8

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

-Fish- posted:

I'm absolutely using one of these next time I get to play Marvel.

Glad we could help!

malkav11 posted:

I'm hoping someday there will be official or unofficial supplements to cover stuff from the era I actually read. Like X-Tinction Agenda, Age of Apocalypse, etc.

I think Cam said on the MWP forums that they're doing Age of Apocalypse after the Annihilation supplements are done. Conquest will be done pretty soon, and then there's War of Kings and Thanos Imperative, so if I had to hazard a guess I'd say that puts AoA probably around fall of this year.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
DI, if you're using canon characters, all of the Civil War books have a full set of printer-friendly datafiles, at least if you got them on drivethrurpg. (It should be in your library next to the actual product.) For custom characters, I suppose you could just use this.

Shoutouts to Astus and the rest of the group I'm playing with at the moment, over in the Game Room. While it's fun as hell to be the Watcher and see your plans constantly overthrown in creative ways, finally getting to be one of the people overthrowing the plot is fantastic and refreshing. Also anything involving the Shocker is basically destined for greatness.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 23, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Now that I think on it, you might also try sending MWP an email (I figure they probably have a customer support address) and asking if there's a way that buyers from other sites can get access.

BTW your thread is now the arch-rival of my thread.

Normally I'd say this could only end in a big crossover and all-around continuity reboot, but this isn't DC Heroic Roleplaying.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
It was my favorite PNP, too. :smith: It's silly but I'm a little crushed, to be honest. At least MHR's easy to unofficially support, I guess.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well, luckily I have all the books and my group loves this game, so Marvel roleplaying will never die with us :unsmith:

Pretty much, yeah. A game only dies when people stop playing it.

With that said, having had a while to think on it, I think I'm less put off by the very abrupt shutdown (probably Marvel-mandated, if I had to guess) than I am by the fact that the announcement was just buried at the end of a news update with no real indication of its importance. If I hadn't seen it in this thread I wouldn't even have known.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Count me in if you need an extra person for any goon MHR projects. I've put together a bunch of unofficial stuff and designed a Mass Effect hack for it, and I'd love to do more, especially in a community setting (the previous stuff was just for the group I GM'd for).

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Looking good, DI. I kinda feel as if he should have a counterattack SFX called "Safety Dance".

jivjov posted:

I'm just now getting in to Mass Effect

Don't get in too deep, that fandom is toxic as gently caress.

Anyway, since the two of you asked, I dug it up and pasted it into a googledoc. Keep in mind that I am by no means a game designer, this is my first time doing anything remotely like this, so it's probably not going to be perfect by any means. Hopefully it sparks at least a little interest, though.

I have a pair of sample encounters lying around somewhere - one that deals with a Collector attack (I modeled Harbinger possession as a powerset and think I did a pretty decent job, so I'm hoping to show that one off once I track it down) and one that demonstrates the ship combat system and features a fight with some Cerberus dudes and Kai Leng. I think they're on my other hard drive, though, so give me a day or two to try to find them.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

JDCorley posted:

I would give everyone on NextWave the "collateral damage" SFX where they can step up a die in doom or add a d6 Complication to themselves...

This is good and I would expand it to "or other members of the team". If your players are in the Nextwave mentality, a little quasi-pvp (not outright opposition, more along the lines of Something Went Wrong) is great. Conflicting milestones might also be good. Don't make people get into straight-up brawls, but indirectly hindering each other or putting down complications/emo stress is fun when it's done in the right mood.

Additionally, if you end up needing more villains (like if you decide to put in another action scene where someone's guarding the intel about who the paralegals are working for), I would recommend picking up Young Avengers/Runaways and using the Headmen. Because really, Chondu the Mystic improves everything.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I don't think most people would be too picky about your time/place setting. You could just say "yeah this takes place sometime after Siege" and then come up with a basic plot (Supervillain wants to accomplish evil thing, plan consists of steps 1, 2, and 3) and jam it in there. Really, given the state of continuity in comics, I feel as if trying to get all the details totally compliant with canon would be an unnecessary headache for the Watcher.

Don't sweat the small stuff, basically, is what I'm saying.

Annihilation Session 1 Trip Report: Songbird's player recently started watching VGCW and surprised me by spiking Ravenous on his head with a hurricanrana through the streets of Xandar. Also, Gladiator threw a destroyer ship from orbit as a weapon. I was a little tentative at first about running the event because most of my group wasn't particularly familiar with the cosmic setting, but their fondness for Platinum-developed video games appears to have bridged that gap and then some.

edit

ibntumart posted:

So would a Fifty State Initiative start-up.

This is one I don't think I've seen anyone use before, so it stands out a lot by virtue of innovation. The 50SI book has all the Initiative trainees (even the ones who mattered for, like, one issue before no one ever cared about them again), and X-Men has the newer crop of Xavier students, so it'd be pretty easy to do a 'next generation' type game.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 6, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

ibntumart posted:

Did you explain it in much detail or was it more of a "the Kree Empire is blue, the Skrulls are green shapeshifters, they hate each other, the Nova Corps is an ersatz Green Lantern Corps, and Thanos is someone you don't want to piss off lightly" affair?

I went with the latter - like, almost your exact words re: the Nova Corps, but generally a minimum of detail and let them play it from there, adding in other stuff as it became relevant. They're all playing Earth-based heroes (except Super-Skrull, the lone cosmic fan in the group), so that means I can give short bursts of exposition to the characters and educate the players at the same time.

For example, "the Shi'ar are space Romans with avian physiology, and they fight wars of conquest often" was really all they needed to start off with (let's face it, Marvel aliens are not hugely complex). Later on, Gladiator made an appearance and I added in "Gladiator is a Strontian - a client race of the Shi'ar - and the leader of the Imperial Guard. He's basically Superman, as powers go." Finally, as Nova Prime and Gladiator discussed the Annihilation Wave's proximity to the Shi'ar territory, I told the players that the Shi'ar recently fought a war against the Kree and annexed a large sector of space.

That was all they needed - everything else just kinda filled itself in nicely. The best part is once I got their interest, they started reading stuff on their own and learned more.

edit: If you're gonna run Annihilation later on, is it going to be totally serious? I have this bizarre interest in playing through a plot where Blastaar is deposed from rulership of Baluur due to a paperwork error and an untimely coup while he was busy evicting door-to-door evangelists from the Universal Church of Truth, and needs to get his throne back.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 11, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

ibntumart posted:

I think you can get a sense of my delicate handling of cosmic-level characters here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547580&userid=112603

Excellent.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Fun story related to how much more fun the game is if you play it gonzo and over-the-top with as much self-awareness as possible:

You know that "Titanium Man shows up in Washington and tries to beat up the heroes" scenario in Civil War? Partly out of the need for as much collateral damage as possible (because I needed to really push the motivations behind the SHRA) and partly out of fear that my group would just oneshot Titanium Man and call it a day, I turned it into a full-on HYDRA attack. So most of the group is occupied inside the Capitol fighting HYDRA agents (and Swordsman) while Deadpool ends up being the unfortunate target of Titanium Man's attack - he's picked up, flown through the dome, and skipped across the Washington Monument's reflecting pool like a thrown stone. On his next turn, Deadpool hops up and creates a combat resource - a mortar launcher.

"You're aiming at Titanium Man with the mortars?" I ask.

"No," he says. "I'm aiming at Titanium Man and all the HYDRA agents."

He mortared Congress to stop a terrorist attack.

As you can probably guess, I had minimal difficulty justifying the SHRA's creation.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Lemme get you guys' opinions on a thing I made.

quote:

The Swarm (Fritz von Meyer)

Team 4d6

Seriously, A Nazi Made of Bees
Hive Mind
Insect Supremacist

Composite Hivemind
Bees d8, Intangibility d10, Stretching d8, Growth d6

SFX: Killer Swarm - You may split Bees into 2d6 when using it in an action.

SFX: BEEEEEES! - Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6 and keep an extra effect die.

SFX: Oh, They're In My Eyes! - When inflicting a complication, you may step up your effect die by +1.

SFX: Multipower - When using Bees in a dice pool, you may include additional Composite Hivemind powers at -1 step for each additional power.

Limit: Hive Queen - When you take mental or emotional stress, step up or add d6 to the doom pool to shut down Composite Hivemind. Spend a doom die to recover Composite Hivemind. If you take mental or emotional trauma, shutdown Composite Hivemind until that trauma is recovered.

Limit: They Don't Allow You To Have Bees In Here - Defeat affiliation dice with d8 stress to disperse Swarm. Participate in a transition scene to recover lost affiliation dice.

Combat Expert d8, Science Expert d8

I felt he works best as a multiple-d6 mob - combined with the Killer Swarm SFX, I was trying to get across the idea that his individual attacks weren't particularly effective, but when a bunch of them hit you at once (6d6 worth, in fact), it can be pretty serious, and therefore to encourage chopping down his affiliation die. Does that work, though? I almost worry that I gave him too many dice.

I considered giving him an SFX to replenish his affiliation dice, but decided against it for the same reason and figured that "he regenerated offscreen during a transition scene" fit the unimportant nature of the character a little better.

Also, "intangibility" is meant to represent the fact that it's hard to just punch a dude made of bees.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Yeah, you're right. I think I'll go with that and get rid of the SFX.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Check this out, DP, maybe it'll give you some inspiration. (I didn't make this, credit goes to James Nostack on the MWP official forums, in his Doctor Manhattan writeup.)

quote:

SFX: The Whole Design is Visible in Every Facet. Spend 1 plot point to use Quantum Senses to predict your own future, either against the Doom Pool or an affected character. If successful, for every effect die you keep, you can ask one scene-framing question or create a scene distinction if you're present in that scene. An affected player can cancel this by spending a plot point; the Watcher can cancel this by spending an equal-sized Doom Die.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I'm always up to help out, although you probably want to check the wiki before coming up with anything.

Annihilation update: the moon of Godthab Omega was destroyed. With a suplex.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

He's in the core book as part of Breakout, so that's one down.

quote:

Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius)

Solo d8
Buddy d6
Team d10

The Master Planner
Megalomaniacal
Brilliant Scientist

Powerset: Robotic Harness

Superhuman Strength d10, Superhuman Durability d10
Stretching d8, Wall-Crawling d6, Cybernetic Senses d8

SFX: Area Attack. Target up to 3 additional enemies. For each additional target, add a d6 and keep an extra effect die.
SFX: Multitasking. Add multiple Robotic Harness powers to your dice pool, at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: I'm a Genius! Step up any science or tech resources you create during an action scene.
SFX: Criminal Mastermind. Borrow a die from the doom pool for one action. If that action succeeds, return the die afterwards. If it fails, you may either take the die as mental stress or step it down before returning it.
SFX: Uplinked. Doctor Octopus can remotely control his arms, and may create assets or complications in scenes where he is not physically present if his dice pool contains Cybernetic Senses.
Limit: Can't Take a Joke. Step up emotional stress from taunting and add d6 or step up the lowest die in the doom pool.
Limit: Cybernetic Malfunction. Shut down Robotic Harness and add d6 or step up the lowest die in the doom pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.

Specialties: Crime Expert d8, Science Master d10, Tech Master d10

I did this in literally five minutes so it's definitely open to debate. I kinda feel like I missed something important but I can't put my finger on what it is. shobon

Kellsterik posted:

How would you design an unlockable powerset for (a fragment of) the Phoenix Force? I'm not extremely familiar with its sordid history in the comics, but the end result I want is "incredibly dangerous telekinetic power boost and upgrade to cosmic scale" rather than "star-consuming space god".

This is a tall order. Phoenix does a lot of wildly varied poo poo, so...hmm. It's always been portrayed as difficult to control, kind of high-risk, high-reward, so you probably want stuff that builds the doom pool or gives you great options at the cost of considerable risk (complications, etc.)

For powers I'd suggest Cosmic Energy Mastery, Transmutation, Space Flight, Cosmic Senses, and Telepathy, to start with. Most of them would need to be at least a d10 (Space Flight's automatically a d12). You can probably think of more, though, because like I said, Phoenix powers are all over the place (I think it heals people too? You can model that with transmutation, though). For SFX, I have some distinctly more concrete suggestions:

1) Double a Phoenix Force power for one action. If that action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to that power's normal rating or inflict a complication of the same size on yourself or an ally.
2) Borrow a doom die for one action. Afterwards, step the die up and return it to the doom pool.
3) Spend 1 PP or take d6 mental stress to reroll an entire dice pool; do both to reroll and add Cosmic Senses.
4) When gaining 1 PP for a rolled opportunity, add an additional d6 to the doom pool or step up the lowest doom die to gain an additional PP.
5) When physically stressed out, you can choose to revert into a Phoenix egg. You are immune to stress while in an egg, but cannot take actions. Activate an opportunity or participate in a transition scene to hatch and resume playing normally.

For limits you want Growing Dread (1s and 2s count as opportunities) and probably something about changing a power into a complication. There might also be a way to model Dark Phoenix, a la Raging Hulk or Void, but I'm always leery of mechanics that take control of their characters away from the players.

edit: forgot to put limits on Doc Ock, whoops

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 9, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

GimpInBlack posted:

Affiliation dice

AHA. I knew I'd forgotten something critical (besides the limits, I edited those in later after remembering about it. Man I am bad at this.)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Has anyone found a passable Ultron? Had Conquest come out we would've had exactly the one I'm looking for, but well... :sigh:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Astus posted:

Alright, so earlier Kellsterik created #makeminemhr, but since he probably never registered his nick, I ended up as OP for the channel. Decided to just roll with it and have registered #makeminemhr and have put the player cheat sheet in the topic. If anyone else has suggestions on what to add to the topic, feel free to tell me either in here or in the IRC channel. Volunteers for channel OPs would also be nice, since I'm not on all day.

We set a record of four people tonight :v: (But seriously it's growing quickly, which is pretty awesome.)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

It's also about having a fight where the heroes are caught between the Annihilation Wave, the Warbound and Galactus, but that might be saying too much.

Something along these lines nearly happened; my group almost fired a Phalanx-loaded missile into the Harvester of Sorrow, which would have probably been an incredibly poor idea.

They've been so self-congratulatory about it that they've completely forgotten to follow up on it and actually deal with the Phalanx, though, so they've got a very nasty surprise waiting down the road.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Super-Skrull, Mar-Vell, Ares, Taskmaster...Mystique? I can't remember if that's canon or not.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Drax is a really good choice, he's pulling double duty and has completely different dynamics with Moondragon and Cammi.

Further Suggestions: The 'No, gently caress YOU, Dad' Edition: Sabretooth, Hank Pym (he's technically a grandfather thanks to Victor Mancha), Norman Osborn, Scott Lang, The Hood, Namor, Blastaar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Two things:

1) How do you portray the High Evolutionary's ability to evolve/devolve people in game mechanics? I feel like it's sort of an all-or-nothing thing, and as such am at sort of a loss on how to model the stretch between d6 and d12+. It occurred to me that you could just flavor the attack as "the High Evolutionary attempts to devolve you", and if they fail, detail how severe the mutation is based on the size of the effect die, but I don't know. It seems like it should be something with oomph, like the encephalo-ray or the absorption from the cosmic control rod.

2) Danger-Pumpkin, get on IRC sometime, I have a surprise for you.

• Locked thread