Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I regret not using other types of stress in encounters so far. Particularly, not thinking I could attack Count Nefaria until he'd been exploded by Dr. Strange, because who doesn't like the idea of Tony Stark pumping the audio track from his sex tape through his armor? Maybe I will borrow your Hulk, good sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Solomonic posted:

You guys, MHR is the best drat game ever.

In today's session, my players took on the semi-final battle of a very-heavily-diverged from canon version of Civil War. It was amazing. While one group took down Damage Control (controlled secretly by Mr. Sinister and his Marauders - they'd kicked off a metahuman war because that's the kind of thing Apocalypse encourages), two of their number went to neutralize SHIELD and remove the pro-reg side's resources by taking Maria Hill down from her position.

Those two? Iron Man (who is the co-leader of the anti-reg side with Captain America) and Agent Phil Coulson - with the hammer of Thor (he tried to use it in a moment of desperation and the hammer accepted him, then he fought a duel with Doctor Doom to hold onto it). The fight was phenomenally large-scale; I had Ragnarok and a giant SHIELD robot (the Mad Thinker bot from Annihilation - gonna have it thrown into the Negative Zone next session and use it in its proper place when we do that event) defending Hill, and they went hog wild. Coulson flew through a huge cloud of the robot's freeze beam, then used Mjolnir to absorb all of that energy and blast the robot through the helicarrier's reactor with a one-megaton redirected thunderstrike. Ragnarok actually broke his hammer on Iron Man's arc reactor (apparently OsCorp tech wasn't enough to hold up against Stark tech), in an explosion so forceful that all the windows on the command deck shattered, and then they slugged it out with their fists as the helicarrier fell from the sky around them.

At last, with their enemies disabled, Iron Man took control of the helicarrier by hacking its navigational systems and activated all the retroburners, while Coulson conjured up a gigantic tornado (he spent like four PP on this one roll) and used it to push back against the momentum so it wouldn't crash really hard and explode. Between the retroburners and the tornado, the helicarrier ended up hitting the ground and skidding nearly a mile through Manhattan, taking out a few city blocks on the way, before barely coming to a halt without squashing the rest of the Avengers (who had defeated Mr. Sinister and the MGH-sprayed board of Damage Control directors).

My group seems to like most of our sessions a lot but this one in particular got some rave reviews - MHR does huge spectacular combat with a certain easy-to-model panache. So I told them that basically every fight in Annihilation is like this one (because it is) and oh my god all of a sudden they're psyched.

Guess I better start working on some of those sources of cosmic power!

What's your Sinister datafile look like, if you made one? I'm only asking because I am curious; definitely nobody in the game I'm running will run in to him, especially if they happen to be reading this thread.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yes, he is much like Ric Flair in that way. And many others, such as his unclear role with regards to many people's parentage.

But yeah, I probably don't need to throttle that stuff back much. Our team has Iron Man, Dr. Strange and She-Hulk with Carnage powers, so putting the hammer down on some fools is good.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He's in the standard Annihilation book, too. Wonder if they're different files, like Iron Man got?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just noticed there's a character sheet for Eros the Starfox. I feel like the character sheet doesn't really encapsulate the character, which is to say reading it didn't make me physically uncomfortable. Great stuff on the rest, though! I like the sample mini-adventures to power a character up in particular, since you can tweak the power dice up or down as appropriate and it fits into most campaigns neatly. Have them get beat up the first time, and they're like "we're gonna need a bigger boat." Then they GET ONE.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Thanks to this new avatar, I am tempted to have the Watcher appear in our game but in the form of a giant disembodied JJJ head.

Anyone else who GMs, I've basically been racking up Doom Dice in early fights for a big blowoff, but what are some other ways to make a villain really knock some heads around that don't revolve around giving myself tons of big dice?

(druggeddwarf don't read this)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm this close to buying you a JJJ-vatar.

BTW- Next turn is on free for all right now and I swear I won't have Dr. Doom turn you into a third type of animal.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 5, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, it really helps if the players who don't have a real generalized milestone take one that's related to the event. I'm kinda seeing this in my game, where She-Hulk doesn't have a lot of opportunities to gain XP because the scenario we're in doesn't lend itself to lawyering or banging. I'd just say that you should try and keep them in mind when you're running a mission (something I didn't really do this time... sorry, Sion).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm getting ready to run my first in-person game. Is there a good printer-friendly version of the data sheets I can have my players use?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Clearly should have bought these on Drive-Thru, then. Oh well, guess I can just fill in the blank one or something.

BTW your thread is now the arch-rival of my thread.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Solomonic posted:

Normally I'd say this could only end in a big crossover and all-around continuity reboot, but this isn't DC Heroic Roleplaying.

You're right. MHR would have a major summer event that will CHANGE EVERYTHING.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Do they mean the one that was already released in PDF? It is pretty cool. Still I'm very sad we won't see the Age of Apocalypse book.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

One thing I really like about the PDF versions is that all the notes like "see p.88" pets you click on that number and jump straight there, and especially useful on the table of contents and index. Pretty slick.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It was completed but had to go to print. You can still get the PDF.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He's only started as a minor character with no milestones and such, like Eros the Starfox. I was holding on for the full version in the next book.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Druggeddwarf posted:

I genuinely cannot believe they're going that far. That's crazy.

Took the bullet and got the PDF. Browsing through it right now.

Can I just say, that Thanos is RI-DIC-CU-LOUS!

Well, there goes my joke of replacing all references to "Thanos" with "Amadeus Cho" and posting that sheet as Cho's new datafile.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DriveThru made an announcement at the top of their front page, at least.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I guess since we won't get the Age of Apocalypse supplement, I will have to write my own. I do rather like the idea of having a random roll table to determine what the alternate version of a character is, which was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Plot Points blog has a fan made event book for X-Cutioner's Song up, speaking of. It is early 90s as gently caress.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 26, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Solomonic posted:

Count me in if you need an extra person for any goon MHR projects. I've put together a bunch of unofficial stuff and designed a Mass Effect hack for it, and I'd love to do more, especially in a community setting (the previous stuff was just for the group I GM'd for).

Do you happen to have any of your Mass Effect stuff in an easily-circulated format? I'd like to check it out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So this is the thread for posting stuff we made, right? I made this guy. Figured maybe if Tony Stark was going to be away from Stark Tower a lot he might want someone to watch the place, and who better than...

quote:

ADAM JENSEN
(Public)

Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6

Distinctions:
I Never Asked For This
Disgraced SWAT Team Member
Patient X

SARIF INDUSTRIES AUGMENTS
Cybernetic Senses d8
Superhuman Stamina d10
Enhanced Strength d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Technology Control d6

SFX: Retractable Nanoceramic Blades- When you make a dice pool including D8 Strength or D8 Reflexes, you may step back the highest die in your pool to add a D6 and step up physical stress inflicted.
SFX: GlassShield Cloak- Step up or double D10 Covert Master for one action.
SFX: Typhoon Explosive Device- For each enemy in a scene, add a D6 and keep an extra effect die on your attack.
SFX: C.A.S.I.E. Implant- When attempting to inflict physical or mental stress, spend 1 PP to take the highest die from the doom pool, add it to yours, then step it back and return it.
SFX: Sentinel RX Healing Implant: Spend 1 PP to recover physical stress and step back physical trauma.
LIMIT: Sarif Energy Converter. After using any one SARIF INDUSTRIES AUGMENT SFX, shutdown all SFX. Spend a PP or activate an opportunity to reactivate.
LIMIT: Factory Zero. When exposed to any tech-specific complications or equipment, shutdown SARIF INDUSTRIES AUGMENTS and earn 1 PP.

COMBAT TRAINING
Weapon D8
Enhanced Durability D8

SFX: Marksman. When using both D10 Covert Master and D8 Weapon in a pool, remove the highest-rolling die and use three dice for your attack roll.
SFX: Focus. You may exchange two dice of equal size for one stepped-up die.
SFX: Non-Lethal Takedown. When inflicting a complication on an enemy in melee combat, step up the effect die and add a D6 to the Doom Pool.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown COMBAT TRAINING (except Enhanced Durability D8) to gain 1 PP.

Specialties:
Covert Master D10
Tech Expert D8
Combat Master D10
Menace Expert D8

Milestones:
COMPANY MAN
1 xp: When you find key information to report.
3 xp: When you confront a company rival.
10 xp: When you uncover a secret that could endanger your company and either expose it to the world or cover it up.

EX-DETROIT COP
1 xp: When you use your crime or menace specialties to get someone to give up information they normally wouldn't.
3 xp: When you use your skills, contacts or resources to help out someone in a bad situation.
10 xp: When you find the party responsible and either turn them over to the authorities or take them out of the picture permanently.

For the augment SFX, I wanted to simulate having a bunch of different options but only having the resources to use them sparingly. In this case, plot point = candy bar, while the combat stuff was supposed to represent his more pedestrian skills (and also, his subdermal body armor, which I imagine you can't just shut down with an EMP, but whatever). I also wanted to try and represent the different parts of the game, though the sheet is going to skew more towards combat than sneaking, hacking or dialogue.

And yes, I did use a Deus Ex wiki to look up the name of all those augments.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm giving you full permission to replace your Kai Leng with Adam Jensen. I bet nobody will mind the switch.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Maybe World War Hulk? The Hulk is a pretty interesting enemy to use as an NPC.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Solomonic posted:

This is one I don't think I've seen anyone use before, so it stands out a lot by virtue of innovation. The 50SI book has all the Initiative trainees (even the ones who mattered for, like, one issue before no one ever cared about them again), and X-Men has the newer crop of Xavier students, so it'd be pretty easy to do a 'next generation' type game.

I bought it just because it had War Machine in it and I was like "well gently caress, gotta have Rhodey."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I learned about Civil War from Ultimate Alliance 2 and MightyGodKing's recap. I hope Dr. Strange is ready to assume the alternate identity used by Goliath in what I assume is totally unedited canon: Buttsex McLiberace, Male Prostitute.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you're playing 100% seriously you are playing this game wrong. You can take that to the bank.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I feel like bees should probably be a D6, since D6 usually represents small arms and I don't think bees are more powerful than guns.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I told you that one in confidence! You aren't supposed to go telling everyone about the final boss of Act 1.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cable is in Civil War, he's just the Cable and Deadpool-era Cable who used advanced technology because his powers were burnt out.

Precognition is a tough thing to handle, though. I think maybe it's something you handle more with your Watcher than your powersheet.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, that wiki will be quite the project. Guess I could add the Gambit sheet I use since I have it handy.

In-person campaign update: In this terrifying alternate universe, James Rhodes became Iron Man, and then he also became Captain America when Cap retired in favor of him because he is so great. This is all much to the frustration of the guy playing Iron Man, who has gone from being Billionaire Playboy Tony Stark to Iron Captain America's best pal and mechanic. The best he has done now is a woman told him he can hang out with her for 15 minutes if they can introduce her to Rhodey. Also the Naked Clone of Thor we pulled out of a tank became a player character because someone dropped in partway through and hell if I had any other character sheets handy. Despite being known as Naked Thor, he actually wears a shower curtain (as a kilt or cape, depending on the situation) and a fruit hat now.

They are now in space hanging out with the Kree, having barely escaped the Annihilation Wave.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think

quote:

SFX: Homo Superior. Step up or double any MASTER OF MAGNETISM power for one action. If that action fails, take mental stress equal to that power die.

Should be renamed "SFX: Make way for the Homo Superior" but I'm a sucker for David Bowie references.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The difference is mainly semantic. A complication is something centered on hindering enemies, while an asset is centered around helping an ally. Doesn't mean you can't, in the process, do the other thing with them, but it's the main idea. Compromised Security was, in that case, expressed as an asset because she was putting holes in their security to exploit later (hence the PP) rather than just wrecking things up. I do agree that it's not a very good example, because you can kind of see that one both ways depending on the context.

The way I see it is if the thing is more likely to help friends than it is to harm enemies, it's an asset. If it's the other way around, it's a complication. When Black Cat fought Adam Jensen Dan Mesjean, he inflicted a handcuffed complication, because the main object was to hinder her, not aid him. Doctor Strange making a magic shield is the other way around, because while you might be able to use a shield offensively (see: America, Captain) it's mainly there to protect friends.

Also gonna throw out a couple of suggestions for Gambit because I play him in another game: rather than kinetic blast, I use kinetic mastery (usually d10, kind of depends on the scale of game we're playing) since Gambit isn't shooting energy beams at poo poo but is energizing things around him. I also give him a SFX that enhances the creation of attack assets, like this:

quote:

SFX: Bigger Object, Bigger Charge. When creating a KINETIC MASTERY asset, add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1.

Because all the best uses of Gambit's powers have been things like "charge a car, then have Colossus throw it at something and watch as it goes off like an H-bomb."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's why Cyclops' power is the most boring, because Colossus can't throw it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Personally, I'm happy to see how many games of MHR we have running on this forum now. We have four campaigns going now, yeah?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That would be good as long as nobody uses it to realize I'm just making rules up when I'm not sure what they are.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Glad you like it. I spent way too long trying to think of good references to name everything after. Just out of curiosity, who would you re-skin him as? Or was that just in general?

Who might we reskin him as indeed, Danger. Who indeed.

:stare:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, most of my posts give people the impression that I'm a drunken Tony Stark who's a marginally shittier person, so that's pretty normal of you to say.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd be interested in DoFP but, to be honest, I always mix parts of it up with Bishop's future, probably as a consequence of the 90s cartoon that combined the two.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's also about having a fight where the heroes are caught between the Annihilation Wave, the Warbound and Galactus, but that might be saying too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I often use PP to represent finite things (for example, energy cells on my Adam Jensen sheet). However, you could also make it so that dealing physical trauma allows them to create an asset that they can add to rolls against demons. That way, they can throw it in to insta-kill demons that come in packs (so that if you have, say, a pack of regular d6 demons, a d8 effect will instant kill one) but more powerful demons will be like "ha ha ha, you think that a normal soul can harm me, the Lord of Demons?"

• Locked thread