Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geoj posted:

Don't ask me how we've made it four pages without these mentioned...

PDAs

Kind of like a smartphone, only without the phone and a whole lot less capable. Kind of a crude handheld computer that could do rudimentary internet browsing, some multimedia and mostly e-mail and scheduling/calendar functions. I never owned one but knew a few people who did and never really saw the point in dumping hundreds of dollars on one.

Although they definitely were a stepping stone to the smartphone as we know it today so I guess they weren't a complete failure...

My very first cell phone (in 2000 I think?) was actually a PDA with a phone attachment that plugged into the top of it. Up until a couple months ago I was still using the same sim card, too. When my phone booted up it still said VoiceStream in the corner instead of Tmobile. The girl at the tmobile store was really confused.

edit: actually I was wrong, it wasn't a palm, it was a Handspring VisorPhone.

Combo has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Jul 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU