Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I think he likes 4G63s, and of course, it makes it MORE AI.

The whistle of 30psi would be the perfect match to the 70s styling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

The whistle of 30psi would be the perfect match to the 70s styling.

Basically, this. I did mention it earlier, but the car is already half weird, so why not take it all the way?

Again, though, I'm not married to the 4G63. I just know it better than any other engine and it's cheap and plentiful enough to hit my target power without stepping even further outside my realm of capabilities. (as if hydraulic powered gull wing doors, acrylic body work, and working on a car with virtually zero support isn't going to be hard enough.)

Plus I like turbos.

However, the videos of that CJ Jeep were pretty amazing. I'll have to make an assessment once I get the car torn down. I'm hoping the stock engine is salvageable if for no other reason than keeping the matching numbers. If I decided to stick with an AMC, I'd probably pick up a 360 from a Grand Wagoneer. I don't want to risk grenading the stock SV-1 engine somehow.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How much boost could a Jeep 4.0 take?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sockington posted:

I showed up with a 2000-ish F150 with a worn out V6.

Slapped the auto-transport on the BUMPER hitch and towed a rusty AE86 on top of it.

I don't know how they let me swing that.

Along those lines, I don't know how they let me do this:

Then again, it does say "tow with any car!"

Oh yeah, that's a 401 v8 in there as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

All of it :black101:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I think it was JP magazine who actually did this. Fully built up and boosted, they got in the region of 700bhp.

Edit: Yep, project "insane inline II", 692bhp and 777lbs.ft from a turbo on a bored and stroked 5.0 straight six. :black101:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 18, 2012

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress the horsepower, i wonder what kind of torque it was pulling. Ill go on a hunt when I get home so as to not jeep derail too badly.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

BoostCreep posted:

Nope! This has the original hydraulic doors, which means they are held shut by hydraulic fluid in some mystery gearbox that I need to rip out eventually. It's the same system that caused people to get locked in these cars when they were new.

Interesting - I wonder if this fact got transplanted over to the DeLorean? There's millions of apocryphal tales of D owners getting trapped in their cars - including Johnny Carson - but I've never been able to find out where they came from. It's frequently trotted out as one of the "why the car failed" sort of deals, but of all the car's problems, that wasn't really one of them.

Congrats on the car. Have I read right in that you can get complete replacement panels in fibreglass rather than the bonded plastics? Is that a route you're going to go? I love how they look like huge, scaled-up toy cars, what with the chunkiness and silly lines leading to those ridiculous 3/4 windows. I really hope you end up completing this, seems like the vast majority of Bricklins that aren't show queens are in a much worse state than yours. It's pretty obvious that it doesn't take much to make them look shabby, though.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Forgot that I saw one of these last spring on Vancouver Island. Here's how nice this car could looks once restored:

Note the 'Collector' plate - classy! I hope California has something like that.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

echoplex posted:

Congrats on the car. Have I read right in that you can get complete replacement panels in fibreglass rather than the bonded plastics? Is that a route you're going to go? I love how they look like huge, scaled-up toy cars, what with the chunkiness and silly lines leading to those ridiculous 3/4 windows. I really hope you end up completing this, seems like the vast majority of Bricklins that aren't show queens are in a much worse state than yours. It's pretty obvious that it doesn't take much to make them look shabby, though.

Yep, there is a company that makes every body panel out of fiberglass. The panels are pretty pricey, but it's good to know replacements do exist. The car would look like this before painting:

The plan right now though is to keep as many panels original as possible. From what I can tell, the rear quarters, hatch, rear panel, bumpers, and B pillars are all in crack-free "nearly factory looking" condition, so I'd like to keep them. The doors will need to be replaced with Fiberglass most likely to fix the cracking to make them functional, but I don't mind the surface cracks like these:

I feel that they are part of what make a Bricklin a Bricklin. Call it patina if you want, but I see it as part of the car's history. Maybe down the road I'll do the full Fiberglass swap, but right now I have other things to worry about.

neckbeard posted:

Forgot that I saw one of these last spring on Vancouver Island. Here's how nice this car could looks once restored:

Note the 'Collector' plate - classy! I hope California has something like that.

Wow! That's in fantastic shape! Thanks for providing proper inspiration. That one has definitely been restored. That is a fiberglass body painted to match the original Safety Orange color, which I'm not completely against. I'd drive the hell out of that car.

The only plates in California like that are called Historic Plates. There are 3 guidelines that need to be met to get them, which wouldn't be a problem for the SV-1:

Built after 1922.
At least 25 years old.
"Of historical interest." Which is defined as: "a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities."

The problem there being that it needs to be driven principally for exhibition and historic club activities. I'd rather not being restricted to when and where I can drive my car, so I won't be getting these plates. California is a weird state when it comes to plates though, as the plates since 1963 live with the car its whole life. So if someone bought a new 1964 Impala for example, it would come with black and gold plates. If you bought that car today, and the owners took care of it its whole life, you would probably get the original 1964 plates that came with the car. Car collectors and enthusiasts in CA prefer the original plates as opposed to fancy historic or antique plates since they show the true history and age of the car.

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"

echoplex posted:

Interesting - I wonder if this fact got transplanted over to the DeLorean? There's millions of apocryphal tales of D owners getting trapped in their cars - including Johnny Carson - but I've never been able to find out where they came from. It's frequently trotted out as one of the "why the car failed" sort of deals, but of all the car's problems, that wasn't really one of them.

The Delorean's issue was due to a flawed power lock module design that would fail and keep supplying power to the solenoids, jamming up the door handles in the process. The aftermarket offers improved units to prevent the issue.
http://209.67.188.167/lgspec.asp?id=5

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

BoostCreep posted:

Yep, there is a company that makes every body panel out of fiberglass. The panels are pretty pricey, but it's good to know replacements do exist. The car would look like this before painting:

The plan right now though is to keep as many panels original as possible. From what I can tell, the rear quarters, hatch, rear panel, bumpers, and B pillars are all in crack-free "nearly factory looking" condition, so I'd like to keep them. The doors will need to be replaced with Fiberglass most likely to fix the cracking to make them functional, but I don't mind the surface cracks like these:

I feel that they are part of what make a Bricklin a Bricklin. Call it patina if you want, but I see it as part of the car's history. Maybe down the road I'll do the full Fiberglass swap, but right now I have other things to worry about.

Wow! That's in fantastic shape! Thanks for providing proper inspiration. That one has definitely been restored. That is a fiberglass body painted to match the original Safety Orange color, which I'm not completely against. I'd drive the hell out of that car.

The only plates in California like that are called Historic Plates. There are 3 guidelines that need to be met to get them, which wouldn't be a problem for the SV-1:

Built after 1922.
At least 25 years old.
"Of historical interest." Which is defined as: "a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities."

The problem there being that it needs to be driven principally for exhibition and historic club activities. I'd rather not being restricted to when and where I can drive my car, so I won't be getting these plates. California is a weird state when it comes to plates though, as the plates since 1963 live with the car its whole life. So if someone bought a new 1964 Impala for example, it would come with black and gold plates. If you bought that car today, and the owners took care of it its whole life, you would probably get the original 1964 plates that came with the car. Car collectors and enthusiasts in CA prefer the original plates as opposed to fancy historic or antique plates since they show the true history and age of the car.

Yeah, unlike some states, the plates stay with the car, not the owner. So you have the blue and yellows.

Pretty neat, and it's a 1974 so you don't have to smog it right?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Plate talk:

In NY if you sell a car the new owner can't use your plates, but you can transfer old plates from car to car you own. As a result I've had the same plates on my last 4 cars going back over 10 years. I think every once in awhile they'll mandate that you get new plates when they change a design, or like when they went from 6 characters to 7 (otherwise I'd still be rocking the same plates I had since 93).

They didn't when they went to yellow plates a couple years ago though, because of the recession...people bitched that it was an unnecessary money grab by the state. They made changing to the yellow plates optional, and as long as stocks exist I think you can still choose new white plates.

For older/antique cars, they have the same sort of historical plate as CA, with the driving restrictions. When I bought my 65 Caddy I didn't want to be restricted to x number of miles per year because I knew I'd drive it more. Luckily the new standard yellow plates do kinda look like the old yellow plates of the 60s and 70s that NYS has, so I went with those. I'll keep my white plates on my white 99 Caddy though, because they look better.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah, unlike some states, the plates stay with the car, not the owner. So you have the blue and yellows.

Pretty neat, and it's a 1974 so you don't have to smog it right?

Yep! Not having to pass SMOG is the primary reason I was looking for a pre '75 car in the first place. That way I can do whatever I want to the engine and not worry about it. I've seen 60's muscle cars in California with side exit exhausts, straight pipes, blowers sticking out the hood.

The only problem right now with the plates is that the car doesn't have the front plate on at the moment, and the owner can't seem to find it yet. I'm pleading with her to locate it since I want the complete set; otherwise I guess I'll just have to risk driving around with no front plate.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I know original is everything to most collectors and really affects value but would rebuilding/tuning the original engine for performance reasons in this particular instance where the car is going to need restoration anyway, be a bad thing? I cannot see you or the next guy who owns it seeing a (more) powerful, reliable or efficient engine in it and deciding they really want the original engine in original condition. I could be wrong here so this is a genuine question.

E: really love this oddball car btw. Good luck in whatever you decide to do with it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It looks like it's waiting to transform. Push the button on the front, eeh-ooh-shcha-scha-eeh, it's a robot.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sten Freak posted:

I know original is everything to most collectors and really affects value but would rebuilding/tuning the original engine for performance reasons in this particular instance where the car is going to need restoration anyway, be a bad thing? I cannot see you or the next guy who owns it seeing a (more) powerful, reliable or efficient engine in it and deciding they really want the original engine in original condition. I could be wrong here so this is a genuine question.

E: really love this oddball car btw. Good luck in whatever you decide to do with it.

The only reason I don't want to rebuild the original engine is that I will be more than doubling the stock horsepower and don't want to risk putting a rod through the block or otherwise irreversibly ruining something I can't replace. So if I did decide to go with an AMC 360, I could pick one up for a song from a Grand Wagoneer or something, have the same performance as the original engine, and not care if I blow it up. This is of course if/when I decide to sell it in the future. Delorean prices have skyrocketed in the last 10 years to the point that you can hardly find one in any running condition under $20,000. When I was looking only a couple of years ago, they were $10-12k for running models.

I just don't want to irreversibly alter the car to the point that it loses its value or gets written off as a collector due to me being stupid.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Replace the goofy front bumper with a grille made from a rusty chainlink fence.

You could even add teeth.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just found images of a Fiero with a Bricklin body conversion. There has to be some sort of ultimate car joke in there somewhere.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh come on.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Welp, nothing's gonna top that.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

echoplex posted:

Welp, nothing's gonna top that.

Put a Renault V6 in the Fiero/Bricklin.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can EFI swap that motor for pocket change with parts from almost any tbi chevy 350 in the boneyard.

Also, as noted, amc 360 != chrysler 360. Nothing is the same about them, not even the motor mounts. Stick with an amc v8 or go all the way.

Personally I would stuff a well built, efi swapped 401 in it and call it a day set out on the years long interior/wiring/exterior/hydraulics restoration. Iirc an amc v8 "sr block" (service replacement, kept on the shelves at dealers for warranty repairs) can be turned into a 360, 390, or 401 with different internals and/or heads, they did this so they could stock one block to cover more warranty claims. Hard to find these days but as strong as an anvil, because, well, that's what they are.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

kastein posted:

You can EFI swap that motor for pocket change with parts from almost any tbi chevy 350 in the boneyard.

Also, as noted, amc 360 != chrysler 360. Nothing is the same about them, not even the motor mounts. Stick with an amc v8 or go all the way.

Personally I would stuff a well built, efi swapped 401 in it and call it a day set out on the years long interior/wiring/exterior/hydraulics restoration. Iirc an amc v8 "sr block" (service replacement, kept on the shelves at dealers for warranty repairs) can be turned into a 360, 390, or 401 with different internals and/or heads, they did this so they could stock one block to cover more warranty claims. Hard to find these days but as strong as an anvil, because, well, that's what they are.

The SR blocks are also homologation specials. They're racing motors. Hard to find doesn't even begin to describe it anymore.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
And it had to be Ontario plated.

See what a long cold winter does to us up here?

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012
So, this might be me just being stupid/blind, but this car looks like DeLorean. Not exactly, but it, uh, captures the spirit. How come?

Anyway, beautiful car, OP. Even though I know absolutely nothing about restoring old American (Canadian?) cars, if it is similar to restoring old BMWs, I wish you patience, cash, and dedication.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

machinegunmessiah posted:

So, this might be me just being stupid/blind, but this car looks like DeLorean. Not exactly, but it, uh, captures the spirit. How come?

Anyway, beautiful car, OP. Even though I know absolutely nothing about restoring old American (Canadian?) cars, if it is similar to restoring old BMWs, I wish you patience, cash, and dedication.

Looking at pictures of the DeLorean and SV-1 side by side (there's a surprising amount of those on Google image search) just drives home how whack the Bricklin's proportions are.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

machinegunmessiah posted:

1. Wedge shaped cars were "the shape of things to come" in the 70s.

2. Both were initially designed/ envisaged as 'Safety Vehicles.' Although Delorean dropped the safety angle when Bricklin's SV bombed, the design considerations carried through.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

joat mon posted:

2. Both were initially designed/ envisaged as 'Safety Vehicles.' Although Delorean dropped the safety angle when Bricklin's SV bombed, the design considerations carried through.

I think it was less to do with the Bricklin bombing, more that the safety vehicle thing was a very easy way to get investor money back then. The first major backer for DMC was Allstate, if I remember correctly, and the first wood/clay prototype DMC actually had "DSV" on the grille standing for... well, you can work it out. The prototype had a big number of fairly space-age safety features, some interesting, some less clever... almost all of them got dropped when Lotus rebuilt it, with the exception of the 5MPH bumpers and I think even those might have been to meet federal requirements. First to go was the plastic laminate monocoque and airbags. The Bricklin kept a lot more of it's features.

In terms of proportions, I think there's a lot to be said for the DeLorean having real Italian design heritage, and the Bricklin... not. It is fascinating how similar they are, though, and how alike Bricklin and DeLorean (the men) were, and how they both ended up. I mean all the press on the DMC at the time said "They're not making the same mistake as Bricklin!" and in the end, no, they made all new ones, but the end result was the same.

OP, have you delved much into the world of the Bricklin community? I've seen a lot of animosity towards the DeLorean crowd which has always been funny since they're both pretty terrible cars. Is that still going? Are there crazy purists or is it pretty laid back?

echoplex fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 20, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Went with BoostCreep to pick up the car, had a blast, took lots of pictures.

Sorry for the huge image dump ... Click images for bigger!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 22, 2012

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I can smell the patina from here.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

I can smell the patina from here.

That's a very nice way of putting it :)

Thanks to Krakkles and HybriDSM for the help today. And great pictures! You are hired as the official photographer for this project.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Something about this car creeps me out. It's like a delorean came back wrong.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

That's a very nice way of putting it :)

Thanks to Krakkles and HybriDSM for the help today. And great pictures! You are hired as the official photographer for this project.
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it :)

doritos posted:

Something about this car creeps me out. It's like a delorean came back wrong.
I prefer to think of it like this: It's like a Delorean, only worse.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nah, I'm thinking more evil. It's the delorean's twin they kept chained up, sustained on a diet of fish heads.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I would love that 81 sticker for my black plate Prinz. That is an awesome car, and should be even better with a lighter modern engine not from a pickup truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Is that an AMC 20 rear differential? :stare:

What the hell? Bricklin used an AMC engine *and* differential? Didn't they know that in AMC fashion, they're supposed to use a few rather critical and yet badly designed GM parts?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

trouser chili posted:

The 360 you speak of from the Grand Cherokee is a different 360ci v8 (it's a Dodge motor) than the AMC 360.

You're right, it was the Wagoneer I was thinking of as a late-model source of 360s, not the Cherokee.

On the boost front, there's always this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oj_XZhgU6Q

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

kastein posted:

Is that an AMC 20 rear differential? :stare:

What the hell? Bricklin used an AMC engine *and* differential? Didn't they know that in AMC fashion, they're supposed to use a few rather critical and yet badly designed GM parts?

They goofed even further and hooked the motor up to an AMC TF 727 too, rather than GM's TH 400, as God intended.
And a Ford carburetor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do these run a ladder, backbone or spaceframe chassis, or are they monocoque?

• Locked thread