Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Evil baby bunnies cannot be fed solid food until after the first week.

As lovely as this sounds, you really don't know how you're going to react when someone starts shooting up the place. People aren't drilled on what to do when something like this occurs, and blind panic basically just takes over. Mother nature is going to tell you to run. It takes a lot to over come that instinct.

As someone whose hospital was shot up, I can attest that it's not easy to keep a clear head when your life is threatened. We had some people freeze, some people run, and one person shielded his patient with his own body when the elevator they were riding opened up to an active scene of carnage.

And in all seriousness, if my wife died saving my life, I'd probably have survivor's guilt so bad I'd kill myself anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Paint-Drinking Pete posted:

I definitely get that and don't personally blame the guy, but I really don't think I would want to marry someone whose first instinct is to immediately abandon his family in the event of an emergency.

What if they're a sweet heart the other 99.99% of the time? Staying at someone's hospital bedside takes a bit of strength as well.

joepinetree posted:

While you don't know how you are going to react in the heat of the moment, this goes beyond the heat of the moment. He not only ran out of the theater, but he also got in his car, and drove to a 7-11, where he waited until she called him (and not the other way around).

Trauma doesn't go away as soon as you leave the area. Dude's obviously still shook up. Not everyone can detach themselves as easily.

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Point was that it is not heat of the moment. Not even calling his fiancee several minutes after the fact is in fact pretty indicative of who he was most concerned about.

You may as well ask a scizophrenic to stop hearing voices and a depressed person to just feel better. I've been with people after a shooting, some people are still very shook up even hours after the fact. I'm not going blame someone who can't handle trauma any more than I'd blame a child for getting cancer.

Millie posted:

Yeah I find that pretty goddamned unacceptable. Mother nature might have told him to run, but I'm a mother too - pull that poo poo on me and you better keep running.

I wonder if women/mothers are more likely to take bullets for their babies and/or defy odds or gain some sort of grizzly bear strength in crisis to protect their children? I know I can't accurately predict what I would do in that situation but ideally I would put my son's safety first.

Being wounded and on the ground in a theater with a madman running around is not the best time to get a call from your boyfriend. For all he knows you might be hiding and trying to stay quiet. Maybe you like dating meat shields but I sure as hell wouldn't want my loved ones to go back into the building if they're already safely made it out, assuming the police would even let them.

There's a reason why it's called fight or flight. It's your brain stem doing the thinking. The time it takes for that to subside is dependant on the indiviudal, and for some people it's never.

Everybody involved in these situations already feel horrific. Those that weren't around feel bad that they weren't there to help, and those there wish they hadn't been around at all. The last thing anyone needs is judgements. Guilt is already going to destroy lives here.

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Any of you care to guess how the Gifford shooting ended?

He dropped the magazine when he went to reload, then bent over. Most people don't make it so easy.