Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Look what I found in my dropbox! I've stopped crying now.

Sugar Cube Quest

e: A NEW PAGE :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey, just putting it out there that I'd be happy to help playtest multiple games this month in between working on my own.

Also, I've already discovered a few flaws in my first draft of Emperor Mittens, go team!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Edit: Here is my preliminary outline for my game. I'm going to work it around to make it more descriptive and engaging, but at least I have an entry in.

Traceuse

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am very glad for those who have posted outlines! They are interesting and the reviews, I trust, will be edifying.

And yet, I am sad. There are still people attempting to bug me about exactly how much combat their games can have. The second post includes the exact amount down to font, type size and line spacing. I have posted examples, with pictures. I defined the term twice. This is not a matter which is in any sense unclear. Did you perhaps not read the rules?

So from now on, I am instituting a new rule. I will interpret attempts to ask me about combat-related things that are already answered in the first two posts as attempts at ingratiating yourself with the judge. Anyone attempting to do so from now on will be labelled an Ingrate, and one Bonus (should they earn one) will be deducted in the final scoring of the game. You can now lose because you asked me a stupid question.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Here is my official outline for Justice Is Blind, a crimesolving/courtroom drama game about finding the truth.

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.
FYI, everybody that hasn't posted yet has less than 18 hours now till the deadline ends.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Okay folks, here goes nothing. I'm putting in an entry for Confucius Says: Don't Wake Up!

Confucius Says: Don't Wake Up! - A game of dream hijacking and Chinese fortunes

Blurb:

Dreams are the last refuge of the desperate mind. In the furthest reaches of your sleep you can make the impossible possible, the fantastic mundane and all of your desires come true. The only problem with a dream, is that it has to end. One can sleep a dreamless sleep forever, but for a dreamer they must wake up.

But what if you could steal someone else's dream and continue sleeping, keeping reality at bay that bit longer. You can continue to deny and drive out reality for as long as you like. The only trick is to make sure you get out of the dream before it ends, because you'll wake up if you're still dreaming when it does. It sounds simple, get into someone's dream and take over. However you aren't alone.

Others have also figured out the mysterious secret to travelling between dreams and wresting control from their owners. Some of them are friendly and happy to share the providence of others slumber, while many want sole control so they can indulge their wishes to their heart's content.

Seize control, evade your foes and dream eternity away. You just need to remember that Confucius says: Don't wake up!

I'll add in my project outline soon.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
So I'm having a bit of trouble working out my base resolution mechanic for Due Process. The object of the game is to get a majority of the 12 Jurors on your side by the end of the trial. While there'll be plenty of modifiers during the game proper and for how the Jury can be swayed, I want to get the base math down before I start loving with it.

Basically, the Prosecution and the Defense both crack open a heavy book to a random page. The last digit of the page number is the random number used for resolution, ranging from 0 to 9. These two numbers are compared, and the highest number converts some Jurors to their side, the number based on the difference between the high and the low number.

However, the Judge, who is himself a sort of player, is evaluating the quality and consistency of the arguments of both the Prosecution and Defense. At the end of a cross-examination, the Judge gets to flip his own book and find his own random number. Before generating this number, he chooses one of the teams and whether he's going to add to their number for good performance or subtract from it for bad. Then he pulls his number, and it's added or subtracted to/from the chosen party's own number. This means that, ultimately, a given number could be anywhere from -9 to 18, and the difference could be anywhere from 0 to 18 as well.

I've punched the numbers into AnyDice, but something about them seems wrong to me, as though I didn't quite correctly put in the expression. The numbers look quite swingy either way, though, with a decent chance of converting 12 Jurors all at once. If someone could check this expression for me, that'd be nice, but I'm also considering how to handle the swinginess. In some ways it's a good thing, in that you can turn around a bad case, but I don't want the game mechanics to become irrelevant. The IRC suggested that Juror conversion could happen at a ratio of 2:1 with the ability to save excess currency, and I thought that perhaps you could 'lock' Jurors so they couldn't be converted by the opponent or it was otherwise more difficult. I also thought that the Voir Dire stage could affect Juror tendency, so that conversion was more difficult with certain arguments.

If possible, I'd like to make sure my base mechanic is sound before settling in to write the rest of the outline. (A big chunk of it's already done!) I have plenty of ideas, but those are meaningless without knowing how the core of the system works. Any help the thread could offer would be appreciated!

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.
Jurors shouldn't just get "convinced" to one side or the other immediately, perhaps? You could just have stages of convincing - they start on the fence, and then whichever side gets them to however many Good Argument Points first convinces them, and once they're convinced one way it makes it harder to convince them of the opposite (maybe halving the points they get from a good argument?).

Juror 1 - Neutral
Juror 2 - +2 Prosecution
Juror 3 - +2 Defense

Prosecution flips to a 7, Defense flips to a 4. Prosecution gets 3 Good Argument Points.

Juror 1 - +3 Prosecution
Juror 2 - +5 Prosecution and is Convinced of Prosecution
Juror 3 - +2 Defense, +3 Prosecution

Prosecution flips to a 2, Defense flips to a 3, with the Judge giving the Defense an additional +4. Defense gets 5 Good Argument Points.

Juror 1 - +3 Prosecution, +5 Defense and is Convinced of Defense
Juror 2 - +5 Prosecution, +2.5 Defense, Convinced of Prosecution
Juror 3 - +7 Defense, +3 Prosecution and is Convinced of Defense

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

The Rookies posted:

The kids you mentor were heartbroken when the community center was bought out. It looks like the only way to get the money to buy it back is that b-ball tournament nearby...

Your best girl just left you and walked away with that rich jerk from the next school over. Maybe if you were some kind of big shot quarterback like him, she'd take you back...

The worst ball team in the league scouted for new blood, and you were it. You don't care how bad their reputation is, all you care about is getting the Pennant, like you promised Pa...

It's always tough being a new kid, but you haven't made a single friend in this dump. Maybe that flier you found talking about a big skate meet might help...

The Rookies may start as nobodies. They'll finish as champions.

Outline

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Radioactive Bears posted:

FYI, everybody that hasn't posted yet has less than 18 hours now till the deadline ends.

This was my initial assessment. However, I have realized that I have left this deadline ambiguous in the original post. And in this one case, in the interest of having a better contest, I'm ruling in the contestants' favor!

So I'm giving everyone until midnight of August 3rd, inclusive. The deadline will remain open right up until the minute it's August 4th, GMT. That gives everyone 34 hours as of the time of writing. And from now on, this will be the policy for all deadlines: They open on 00:00 of the day they begin, and close on 24:00 of the day they end.

e: Oh, and I won't judge your entry until the deadline closes, either. If you want to make adjustments until then, you have time.

Radioactive Bears! does this Rookies outline replace your original SUPER DIMENSIONAL DREAM!! Twilight Armageddon, or is it in addition to it?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Here is my current outline. I plan to go over it and make it more readable before the deadline (I wrote it while drinking last night), however there's a chance I might not get time to do that. I want to make sure I make the deadline, so here we go!

The warrior's steel, the alchemist's formulae, the priest's faith, the footpad's skill, and the merchant's wealth--each, in their own way, are methods of affecting the world. Each impresses their will on the external via these implements, bringing desire to fruition. These implements, however, are limited by the individual, by his circumstance and his alotment of time; only one implement transcends these tethers: people. Working with others is the power to see your thoughts made real and to mold reality as you envision it.

There are those who do not envision the reality that you desire. There are those who through idleness, maliciousness, greed, or misguided ideals will oppose you, will undo those things in the world you would call good, and would change things as best fits them. It is your burden to oppose them. Take up your mantle, and do what you must through force, wit, and subterfuge or else tomorrow may be a worse day than today.

Princes of Ilan is a Role-Playing Game about power, its acquisition and its application. You play an individual of importance in the fictional city of Ilan. You and other players will compete in a political landscape to achieve your character’s individual goals. Because if you wont fight for you, then who else will?

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Full submission for Lil' Eldritch Horrors:

Ad blurb

quote:

You were nursed by Shub-Niggurath and potty-trained by Beelzebub. When trying to teach you the alphabet, Asmodai had to invent three new Unpronounceable Syllables in order to properly curse the infernal forces that had begotten you. You were simultaneously the best and the worst students that your kindergarten teachers have ever seen; and in a school full of demons, unnamable horrors and eldritch monstrosities, that’s saying something.

You were all set to graduate at the top of your class and move on to primary school... at least, until you and a few of your similarly overachieving classmates were unwittingly summoned and bound to the mortal realm by what can only be a plan by your co-conspirators to break your will and crush your spirit.

But they should have known: your will cannot be broken, nor can your spirit be crushed. Trapped though you may be in this frail and fleshy body, you will learn to navigate this horrifying world you have been summoned to. You will survive this pastel-coloured nightmare, defeat your enemies and find a way to return to school: and when you do, there shall be a reckoning.

Provided you don’t poop yourself first.

Outline

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

SUPER DIMENSIONAL DREAM !! Twilight Armageddon posted:

You live on the winding back of the Great Serpent, Earth, an ever burning sun clutched in its mountainous jaws. Its Scales wants to turn you into an animal. Its Entrails wants to turn you into stone. Its single massive metropolis, the Spine, is slowly fading into shadow, and humanity with it.

You can change all that. Impossible powers, heroic action, and incredible mysteries await you in SUPER DIMENSIONAL DREAM !! Twilight Armageddon. Explore, investigate, chase, and rescue the remnants of mankind in a strange world, and draw on your team to alter reality itself.

In SDD !! TA, you stick with your friends because they're all you can count on. You struggle against all odds because no one else will. You keep moving forward because nothing can stop you. You are the last hope mankind has of surviving.

Outline

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Well, here's what I got.

ROAD TRIP

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Accepting the Mark of Shame. I can't make this happen with my schedule.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Unlike RBH, I will totally give my unsolicited opinions before the deadline, because I am color commentary.

Intersector has a strong ad blurb, very catchy, but without a ton of substance. I'm not really sure about what the game is like from it, though it succeeds that I am definitely interested in learning more. The outline catches me a lot more, though the six different resolution methods seems like it could be confusing. I'm not entirely clear how this color business works and look forward to seeing it in practice! One thing I am not really clear on is the intended PC goal, but exploration and shaping of an infinite cosmos could be a goal all its own.

Emperor Mittens, meanwhile, has a very short blurb. It's neat, but it could be better. Still - this is good for something so short. The outline is interesting, though I wonder if there should be penalties for having 0 Luxuries or Energy, similar to how 0 Might makes the player lose. That's a matter for actual design, though. The game is interesting, though it feels more like a card game than an RPG to me. It's hard to quantify why, though - it's really somewhere between the two. Probably could do with more areas of interaction and scene-setting; the Governance phase seems ripe for that, and I can imagine a quick-witted and eloquent PC talking Emperor Mittens into accepting no tribute for a turn or so.

Dis?Unity has an interesting pitch, and I like its ad blurb. I feel the bolding could use some work, though - specifically the second-to-last one doesn't feel like it fits in right with the others. The outline is fairly sparse on details but seems like it'll be pretty fun! Like Emperor Mittens, it straddles the line between RPG and card game, but I feel it's closer to RPG than Mittens is, especially with the focus it has in chargen. I really look forward to seeing this one in play.

Red Tape lacks an ad blurb, really. The pitch is good for explaining the game, but I wouldn't say it's good at selling the game. The timed negotiations are quite interesting in concept, though, and I hope it works in practice. I see a reference to putting down votes there that doesn't seem to come up anywhere else, and I assume that's referring to funding instead. I assume everyone gets their cards back after the round? This again straddles RPG and card game, and I feel that perhaps the random agendas should offer choices (maybe an 'honest' or 'corrupt' choice, with seperate bonuses?), so the player can try to shape their character a little more.

Next time, I will comment on Jurassic Central Park, Amp 2 Amp, Sugar Cube Quest and Traceuse.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

:allears:

I will try to get a revised outline up tonight, but no promises. I am going out of town into the Land of No Internet this weekend.

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

Well, here's what I got.

ROAD TRIP

I don't have permission to access this item.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
I'm sick and taking care of my mom who just went through surgery. Your going to have to put me on the wall of shame.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
This is awesome, I'm going to win by being the last one standing.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

There is no greater obstacle than what we set for ourselves.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Blurb posted:

They say that justice is blind. But only the most hopelessly naïve attorneys consider this the truth. The media is always watching for weakness. The governor wants to be tough on crime. The DA is up for reelection. And the defense attorney needs a new yacht. But in this environment of pragmatism and public relations, full of opportunists and predators, a few good men still hold fast to their ideals – whether it be to serve justice alone, or to uphold the principle of ‘innocent until proven guilty’ above all else.

Due Process is a game with one objective – win the case. At all costs.

Two teams compete to convert the Jury to their side, and to see justice be done. Call your witnesses, further your arguments, but keep your facts straight or the opposition will catch you in a contradiction! Using the books in your very home, you build the facts of the case as you play! Keep the straight and narrow and stay safe, or risk a mistrial with powerful but unethical actions! Hours of drama and fun with your friends await you, and no two cases will ever be the same!

Will you fight dirty, or uphold the foundations of the law? What’s worth more, your reputation or your client? And when the day of sentencing comes, will your conscience be clean?

Outline still forthcoming. I've solved my base resolution problems, I think, so I'll just figure out what I'm doing with the rest of it and see if I have time for proper formatting rather than just 'stick it in a pastebin without editing'.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Dungeon Manager: A King's Reward. (I formatted it to be spaced out a bit better, but to save RBH some effort, yes, it is under 5 pages when all compressed.)

Congratulations! You've defeated the monster king, ransacked his dungeon, and saved the princess! The easy part is done. Now, it's time to divide up the rewards. The King has given you the dungeon you cleared out and some servants to help you put the place back together. In addition, the dungeon has lots of money and denizens of its own, that you can put to use as you see fit. What does your character want to convert the dungeon into? What do the other players want to do with it? And how can you possibly make it both an orphanage and an alchemical laboratory without the kids getting caught on fire? And that’s without the King trying to tax you out of everything he gave you. There’s only so much room in the dungeon, and only so much money to go around. Secure the retirement plan of your dreams, or lose all your strength and get run out of town. Your fate is yours to decide.

Dungeon Manager is a roleplaying game for 3 or more players, each with a deck of 54 standard playing cards (including jokers, and each deck will need to have a different card back).

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Radioactive Bears posted:

I don't have permission to access this item.

Why am I the worst at this forever?

I have no idea, but fixed.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.

Capfalcon posted:

For example, Sporticus of Lazy Town might have the traits Health Nut (because of his obsession with getting people to eat healthier), In Great Shape (because, well, he is),and Mysterious Past (representing his unknown relationship to the previous hero of Lazytown known only as #9 and screw you RBH for making me learn this).

So far, this is my favorite use of Sporticus.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I've got Sportacus, so there's no reason to wait for the second Cheeky Bastard objective.

Here's Nothing Amazing in all its terrible glory.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pbxinQDCSH1rzWT4UiSzqzn8b_duT3FFtSHYcEU3qKs/edit

I seriously hope this link works, complete with Sportacus and all! Also unintentional Cheeky Bastard objective...I think |:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
No cheeky bastards for another 24 hours!

self_invention
Dec 25, 2010

Alright, I've been mincing for days, so here goes;

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yVsvMQKUPNer2B1mw9qNONlG5dszqVjOCXpRZxHDac8/edit

“Earth. Baby, you’re gonna make it big-time here! We’re gonna start you on the station circuit, Pizlaxx Axe, build you up with all the space truckers and in-betweener latchkey colony kids before they’re permanently laid up in an algae farm. Then, next step, the Intergalactic Rock Competition! What? Well, you might win, but it’s, ah, it’s really more important to make a splash! No, no! I’m not trying to be speciesist, it’s perfectly fine to...listen, what I’m saying is, starting right now, you need to ROCK OUR WORLD.”

In the pointlessly distant future, Earth’s ecology has collapsed, been brought back to life, wheezed along for a century or two before collapsing again and finally propped back up, sorta. Through all of this struggle, humanity learned two important, world-shaking things; 1] that there is other intelligent life out there ready to cross interstellar distances for some scratch and a good time, and 2] Earth produces a glorious galactic surplus of culture, music, fashion and entertainment. This well-oiled, burning-hot global industry was one of the few things keeping the planet together during the Big Burnout. Earth produced so much opiate for the masses that it would be a species-wide embarrassment if it hadn’t saved the human race. Entertainment sells, baby.

This is a ‘beer and pretzels’ sort of RPG that people should be able to use to tell ridiculous stories about gigging in outer space.

EARTH NEEDS ROCK STARS

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Wrong midnight then!

Can I take the chance to edit my entry a little bit before it's finalised, or am I set in stone for good or bad?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HiKaizer posted:

Wrong midnight then!

Can I take the chance to edit my entry a little bit before it's finalised, or am I set in stone for good or bad?

Nothing is set until the deadline.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Thanks for that Kwyndig. I'll take the opportunity to, uh, proofread and spell/grammar check now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jurassic Central Park sells itself on being a low-seriousness party sort of RPG. The ad blurb is a bit minimalist, but it hits the main points - wings, dinosaurs, New York City. I feel the Sportacus reference is kind of forced, though, in the outline itself. The timing element is interesting. The challenges are pretty clearly laid out, though I imagine the final result will have rules for edge cases. The different dinosaur types are a good way to handle different playstyles and eating habits, I think, and the Urges look interesting. Does eating other food trigger them? In general I think this game looks really fun and really funny. IT's a nice, non-serious game and honestly is nearly complete as it is. I just want to see more detail on Urges, really, and more chances for the GM to have a snack, too. Actually, I think this game could basically go GM-less and not suffer for it at all.

Amp 2 Amp has a pretty cool blurb that I feel could probably be broken up to not be a single block of text. The premise is pretty cool, even if it limits how many people can play it. (I know I lost my old Guitar Hero controller years ago!) Still, this seems like a good party game, too. Unfortunately, the outline is very, very sparse indeed and I honestly can't tell you anything about the game as a result. This should probably change! I assume challenges will involve playing the video game, which is...interesting, I suppose. Still, I think the outline is pretty weak as a result of its sparseness.

Sugar Cube Quest is not what I expected. I thought it would be about horses! It's not. The ad blurb is interesting, but I feel it lacks punch. It's good, but not great. I do, however, really like the explanation for where the idea of the game come from. The rules are interesting but laid out in such a way that I had to scroll all over the outline to get a clear idea of what they meant. Sportacus is used in a fairly neat manner. Glutton and Sportacus don't say how many cubes they start with, though. I feel layout is the biggest problem this outline faces - it uses terms before defining them and in general lacks a certain clarity due to the order the rules show up in.

Traceuse has a pretty spartan blurb, but it catches my interest. (Of course, I'm predisposed to like freerunning as a thing.) As with Amp 2 Amp, the outline is very sparse. It's basically a table of contents for a document that does not currently exist. This makes it pretty weak as an outline, IMO. The use of a stopwatch in the system catchs my interest, though. I'm looking forward to Gau providing a bigger outline before the end of this phase so I can learn a little more.

Next time: Justice Is Blind, Confucius Says: Don't Wake Up, The Rookies, Princess of Ilan.

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

Why, yes, that is Glemdenning
already past deadline, but real life poo poo came and crushed me. i am a shameful loser.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not past the deadline yet.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Wait, Mors, why is an outline that works as the Table of Contents for a document that doesn't exist a bad thing? That's what an outline is, at least for writing.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

MadRhetoric posted:

Wait, Mors, why is an outline that works as the Table of Contents for a document that doesn't exist a bad thing? That's what an outline is, at least for writing.

Yeah, but it doesn't show him much of the game.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Troubling Dreams Blurb and Design Document

Blurb

When sleepers dream, they go to a magical place where anything you can be true. The place has many names, but most often its just called Dreamland. Dreamers rule over this land acting with the power to shape it as they please, they are not all powerful because, with dreams come nightmares.

Nightmares seek to usurp the dreamers rule. Born from the anxieties, stress and trouble of a dreamer's waking life, nightmares are the bane of dreamers. Instead of dreams being a place of joy, nightmares seek to inflict the mental pain on the dreamer. Dreamers aren't powerless. They can resist nightmares..

Dreamers can take control back from nightmares! To win back their dreams, they must come to terms with the personal issues that caused the nightmares. A dreamer accomplishes this by building up coping mechanisms to overcome the influence of nightmares. At first the dreamer takes on minor worries and then slowly as they build up their coping mechanisms, they grow more capable of handling larger problems. If a dreamer fails to learn to deal with their troubles, they give more power to their nightmares. A dreamer who becomes powerless in the face of their nightmares loses all control of their dreams. Given time a dreamer will have grown enough to resolve the main nightmare that plagues them. However the dreamer is not alone. Other dreamers join them in Dreamland and together they can work on conquering all of their nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gau posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't show him much of the game.

This, yeah. It tells me Gau has ideas, but I currently don't actually know what any of those ideas are.