Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Came --> <-- this close to my first spectator ejection on the weekend. U17 game, pissing rain sideways*, there's the grand total of six adults (including myself) there - two with each team, me, and some dude (we'll call him Joe Bloggs) on the far side from the benches - where I had my bags. Half time, Joe wanders over and gets in my ear about the attitude of the other team (weather like that, you'd figure he had to be a parent, and probably a helicopter parent at that). I politely try and tell him "they're 16-17, being obnoxious is what they do", but he wasn't having a bar of it (besides which, his team are just as bad). Tried tuning him out, didn't work so I eventually started doing wind sprints to keep warm.

Side note: Taking an extra-large rubbish bag is a godsend. Leaving my trackpants outside of said bag is just retarded.

Second half after the other team took a throw-in, he says, mimicking my voice "foul throw, foul throw". The team with the ball stops playing and Joe's team picks up the ball. I blow it dead and walk over, attempting my best "You did loving WHAT NOW?!" look**. He then proceeds to inform me that he's been a club ref for 10 years and that you need both feet flat on the ground completely behind the line for a throw-in to be legal. After a very quick refresher on law 15 (part of both feet on or behind the line, ball delivered from behind and over the head with both hands) and the IFAB/FIFA interpretation of trifling infringements, I tell him any more sideline assistance and he'll be awaiting the end of the game in his car. Fortunately he shuts up, I'm not even sure what paperwork I'd have to fill out for a spectator ejection. I restart with the world's dodgiest 'drop' ball (I threw it about 25 yards to the centre-back of not-Joe's team and hollered "ball's in play, play on"), given the aforementioned douchebag factor of both teams I didn't expect a sporting kick back off an actual drop ball.

Did I over-react? Or should I have ejected him first up? Given I can't figure out if I over-reacted or under-reacted, I'm thinking I handled it more or less right (maybe with a little less education of idiots next time).

* Pissing rain = raining heavily. Raining sideways = wind strong enough to blow rain almost horizontally. Basically, poo poo conditions (turf is the only reason the game went ahead, an actual grass pitch would've been a bog), which probably also added to the short shrift I gave Mr. Bloggs.

** Probably roughly equivalent to being savagely quacked at by a duck. Need to work on that a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Thel posted:

Did I over-react? Or should I have ejected him first up? Given I can't figure out if I over-reacted or under-reacted, I'm thinking I handled it more or less right (maybe with a little less education of idiots next time).

No gently caress that noise, that guy was being a total prick. You're the ref, you decide what the calls are. You would've been totally within your rights to eject him, but giving a stern telling to (especially in front of his son/his son's friends) should hopefully dissuade him in the future.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Thel posted:

I'd say you handled that just fine. There's always some idiot parent who thinks they know what they're doing. I'm not sure if "club line" actually means anything where you're from, but that means gently caress all around here. The absolute only thing club lines are allowed to do is tell the referee if the ball is in or out of touch. Bottom line if he's interfering with play you have a responsibility to tell him to shut his trap. Just do it firmly and respectfully. If you can do it without involving a coach, that works. If you need to have the coach tell him to shut up or leave before you restart the game, you can do that too. It sounds like you handled it well, so just think of other ways you can deal with it the next time in case it doesn't work again.

The only thing I'd recommend is not entertaining a spectator in your ear at the half or any other time of the game. They shouldn't be approaching you or your sideline. I would have sent him back to his sideline instead of doing wind sprints, because it might send the wrong signal. Definitely don't engage a rules discussion with a spectator either. Around here they've never seen the LotG, so it's kind of like arguing with a philosopher about physical reactions when you're a chemist.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Jhet posted:

I'd say you handled that just fine. There's always some idiot parent who thinks they know what they're doing. I'm not sure if "club line" actually means anything where you're from, but that means gently caress all around here. The absolute only thing club lines are allowed to do is tell the referee if the ball is in or out of touch. Bottom line if he's interfering with play you have a responsibility to tell him to shut his trap. Just do it firmly and respectfully. If you can do it without involving a coach, that works. If you need to have the coach tell him to shut up or leave before you restart the game, you can do that too. It sounds like you handled it well, so just think of other ways you can deal with it the next time in case it doesn't work again.

The only thing I'd recommend is not entertaining a spectator in your ear at the half or any other time of the game. They shouldn't be approaching you or your sideline. I would have sent him back to his sideline instead of doing wind sprints, because it might send the wrong signal. Definitely don't engage a rules discussion with a spectator either. Around here they've never seen the LotG, so it's kind of like arguing with a philosopher about physical reactions when you're a chemist.

Here a club referee is someone that's done a basic intro course focusing on refereeing junior matches (typically a parent volunteer) - but that course is more about match management and basic foul recognition (Grade 9 in the states is probably the closest match) rather than the intricacies of a properly-executed throw. :rolleyes:

As far as what happened at the half, I had my bags on the far side of the benches, right next to the fence for the spectators to stand behind. He wandered about five yards down (on his side of the fence) during the half-time break and started chatting - I didn't mind at that point since I was wet and cold and needed something to do. Wasn't much of a discussion at the "foul throw" either, it was basically "three things. Number 1, Law 15 specifies that part of both feet must be on or behind the line, not that both feet must be flat on the ground behind the line. Number 2, referees are encouraged to ignore trifling infringements to keep the game flowing. Number 3, any more sideline refereeing and you'll be heading to your car. OK?". Do agree that most spectators don't know poo poo.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Never get involved with spectators. Always handle through the home club manager, as they have responsibility for any spectators present.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

'nother game, 'nother controversy. (Fortunately I wasn't directly involved)

I'm AR2 (far side) on a game played in slightly atrocious conditions (heavy rain, fresh-from-the-south-pole wind, and general miserableness). Game proceeds more or less normally until late in the second half, where AR1 crashes into a sub (on the line). Reportedly, the sub then said "what are you looking at?" to AR1, at which point he pops the flag, referee comes over and after a short discussion the sub heads to the sheds (didn't see a card, but hosed if I could see much from 80 yards away - see previous comment about rain).

The team involved are going to appeal the red card on the basis that he didn't use foul language. What do you guys think?

My take: You could definitely make a case for insulting or disrespecting a match official (implying the AR is blind), which is enough for me to justify the red. Or if you want to be slightly more involuted - yellow card for leaving the technical area, yellow card for interfering with the game = bye son, see you in two weeks.

PS: Why is it *every* time you card anyone their manager asks if we can "forget" to mail the form in? gently caress, if I actually did that I'd be looking for a new weekend hobby before you can say "code of conduct hearing". Also, maybe teach your emotionally-retarded players not to argue with the ref and maybe he won't have to dish out cards like candy on Halloween.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Thel posted:

PS: Why is it *every* time you card anyone their manager asks if we can "forget" to mail the form in? gently caress, if I actually did that I'd be looking for a new weekend hobby before you can say "code of conduct hearing". Also, maybe teach your emotionally-retarded players not to argue with the ref and maybe he won't have to dish out cards like candy on Halloween.

I absolutely love when coaches do this, especially because 99% of the time it comes right after they get finished telling you what a crappy ref they think you are. But yeah, I'll totally do you a huge favor that would get me fired immediately if anyone found out. They try every trick in the book too; my favorite was "but he's played for years and never gotten a red card!" Well, congratulations I guess, but he's got one now.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

Thel posted:

I'm AR2 (far side) on a game played in slightly atrocious conditions (heavy rain, fresh-from-the-south-pole wind, and general miserableness). Game proceeds more or less normally until late in the second half, where AR1 crashes into a sub (on the line). Reportedly, the sub then said "what are you looking at?" to AR1, at which point he pops the flag, referee comes over and after a short discussion the sub heads to the sheds (didn't see a card, but hosed if I could see much from 80 yards away - see previous comment about rain).

The team involved are going to appeal the red card on the basis that he didn't use foul language. What do you guys think?

My take: You could definitely make a case for insulting or disrespecting a match official (implying the AR is blind), which is enough for me to justify the red. Or if you want to be slightly more involuted - yellow card for leaving the technical area, yellow card for interfering with the game = bye son, see you in two weeks.

As described, a dismissal is waaaaay too harsh. The AR has just run into the guy, the sub imho makes a quite justified comment, and he gets sent off for it?! I wouldn't even be considering a caution for that, unless it was said in quite a loud and heated way.

Subs are allowed out of their technical area to warm up, incidentally, unless I am missing something here?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mewcenary posted:

As described, a dismissal is waaaaay too harsh. The AR has just run into the guy, the sub imho makes a quite justified comment, and he gets sent off for it?! I wouldn't even be considering a caution for that, unless it was said in quite a loud and heated way.

Subs are allowed out of their technical area to warm up, incidentally, unless I am missing something here?

The 'what are you looking at' line could rightly be taken as the sub trying to get aggressive with the linesman depending on the tone its uttered though.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

The 'what are you looking at' line could rightly be taken as the sub trying to get aggressive with the linesman depending on the tone its uttered though.

This is possible, but there is no indication of that in the OP. It still feels very harsh to me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mewcenary posted:

This is possible, but there is no indication of that in the OP. It still feels very harsh to me.

Sub should not be on the line to get run into. His comments to the assistant sound aggressive, as 'what are you looking at?' is not 'Are you not looking where you're going?'. Which is also disrespectful anyway since he should not even be on the line to get run into by the assistant.

Seems like a typical case of a mouthy lad who thinks he's much better than he actually is.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't know what tone it was said with, but I've had dealings with that lad in the past and I'm quite ready to assume he wasn't being polite and respectful. Also, yes subs are allowed out of their area, but when they get in an AR's path and then get in the AR's face, they're walking on thin ice in my book.

thebmw
May 13, 2004
Bing
Umm, yeah. Just going to leave this here...
http://deadspin.com/referee-kills-player-then-gets-beheaded-at-brazilian-so-685459212

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

There's a thread for that. It's even at the top of the forum (for now). http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558270

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
"Instead of normal youth levels, like U-14 and U-16... here, have these U-10 solo games, 4 in a row."

Summer tournaments!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bio-Hazard posted:

"Instead of normal youth levels, like U-14 and U-16... here, have these U-10 solo games, 4 in a row."

Summer tournaments!

I almost feel bad accepting those games, but when there's nothing else to do. :shrug: I may as well take them. It's kind of like going to the cash machine for the amount of running and work you do. Not exactly the most difficult matches.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Good news: thanks to ebay, I almost updated my entire old style wardrobe to the new style in one go for less than $200.

Bad news: hurt my knee in a pickup game saturday. Having to turn back my invite to Region 3 ODP camp (not that big of a deal I know, but still sad to miss out). Also will probably not be at 100% to do the fitness test in two weeks time. My plans to upgrade to 7 this year have hit a hurdle before the season has even begun!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

chaoslord posted:

Good news: thanks to ebay, I almost updated my entire old style wardrobe to the new style in one go for less than $200.

Bad news: hurt my knee in a pickup game saturday. Having to turn back my invite to Region 3 ODP camp (not that big of a deal I know, but still sad to miss out). Also will probably not be at 100% to do the fitness test in two weeks time. My plans to upgrade to 7 this year have hit a hurdle before the season has even begun!

Oh I love that. It's like getting new gear for half off because chances are, the people selling it probably didn't really use it. I just wish the next time USSF went with shirts they'd go with something that isn't just so terrible looking. I wouldn't mind those adidas kits you see all over the television, and they seem to be cheaper too. I just expect they don't want to make everyone buy a new round of shirts.

Good luck healing your knee. Hopefully you can go enough to get your fitness test in. The grade 7 requirements aren't so bad, but if your knee is shot, maybe ask your SRA if you can do it once it has healed?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

chaoslord posted:

Very nice. I always check on ebay for equipment but it's always either the wrong size (lots of XL referees apparently giving up for some reason), not discounted enough to warrant buying used, or old style, which I'm not going to bother dropping money on (with the exception of the discontinued rain slicker version which I totally did buy and still haven't gotten a chance to use). I did recently grab one of the recent adidas jerseys for a pretty good price, not sure exactly what I'll use it for but I've still always wanted to have one.

Anybody have advice on working tournaments? There are one or two coming up in my area that I'd like to explore doing; is it just a matter of e-mailing the tournament and saying "hey I'm available?" (I'm fully cognizant of how stupid this question is, but I've only done league play thus far and don't want to sound dumb when I inquire)

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Lamont Cranston posted:

(with the exception of the discontinued rain slicker version which I totally did buy and still haven't gotten a chance to use)

Ditto.

Lamont Cranston posted:

Anybody have advice on working tournaments? There are one or two coming up in my area that I'd like to explore doing; is it just a matter of e-mailing the tournament and saying "hey I'm available?"

Find out who the assignor is for the tournament and email them, and they will be very happy. If your local referee association uses a website to handle assignments, you can usually find them on there, or someone who might be able to point you to them.

In my area, at least, summer tournaments are always looking for more refs. MORE REFS.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

So I haven't been refereeing at all for about three weeks (was away overseas), check my assignments for this weekend and oh hey awesome I've moved up a grade. But wait there's more - I'm being assessed too. :ohdear: (Assessments happen 2-3x a season at lower grades and doing well is a sure way to get bumped up...)

So far, advice I've received:
- Check the nets.
- Don't forget a coin (hey who says "which hand is the whistle in?" isn't professional?).
- Be fussy about tape color and undergarment color (gently caress that we're here to play football not to look pretty...).
- Run deep and wide. Box to box and back again. But you don't want to be huffing and puffing because that looks bad.
- Good loud whistle to start the game.
- Pretend the assessor isn't even there.
- Bust out a sprint in the last five minutes just to show you've still got it.
- Smile.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
It's like one of those loving beauty pageants for 3-year-olds

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Thel posted:

I'm being assessed too. :ohdear:

FML. Missed an elbow late in the first half (didn't connect, but it was apparently obvious enough for the assessor to see from 40 yards off). Same guy reportedly kicked at an opponent's head late in the second half, too.

Sneaky hobbitses. :mad:

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.
Of the 120-some games I worked, I'd guess that close to half were tournament stints...I'm only going to be working league games this coming season (starts in a few weeks), but tournaments can be (really have to stress the "can" part) both easier and better paced than league games.

Obviously it's different everywhere, but tournaments here seem to fall in to two categories...

1. Well-funded and very professionally organized groups of matches and crews with solid breaks in between matches and free water/gatorade/other poo poo.
2. Poorly-schedule marathon gamefests where each game is scheduled to start at the 95' of the previous game. If you haven't ever done 3-4 games back to back with no more than a 1 minute water break between games, tournaments are where you might have that happen.

The above info is pretty spot on...know the assignor, proactively email and say that you're available to work whatever window you can (if they need confirmed bookings). Some of weird one-off rules, or small quirks that you can look ridiculous for not knowing, so always read the specific rules for that tournament. It's a crapshoot here with "team can only sub on throw-in/goal-kick of their possession, team can sub on either teams' throw-in/GK, team can sub at any stoppage per center discretion."

If you have big sponsored clubs in your area, their tournaments are typically the ones that pay significantly more than city/league smallball tournaments. In my area we have Sereno (Chelsea), Arsenal, Barca, Valencia, and a few other ones that each have their own "invitational." On average they pay about 25-50% more per assignment than the regular games, and the games are usually a lot more exciting. As hosed of an assignment as it was, the tournament where I did 7 u9 games in a row since my ex-assignor was letting me 'take it easy' after loving up my knee the week before paid something like $240 in about...6 hours? There was an interesting element of continuity and consistency in working an entire age group's bracket myself too, as bad as a lot of the games were.

I'm actually pretty excited to get back out and do some games again...it looks like I'll be doing mostly u16-u18 stuff, and about 75%/25% AR (by decision).

Actually, this reminds me - how many of you have hired or requested your own assessment, rather than have an assessor "surprise" you at random? It seems like a lot of the more....clever....refs in my area get themselves assessed in games they know about in advance, and thus tend to do much better than anyone who finds out 5' before kickoff that you're being watched. ARs communication or signaling can turn a mediocre assessment in to a good one, simply because they're the ones that will often see whatever bullshit happens behind your back.

I can't believe it's been like 4 months since I've been called a puta and told I ruined somebody's life. Re-cert class is in 2 weeks I think, good times ahead.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
'sup goons. Here's me chillin' on Chelsea TV when acting as 4th official on the U21s Premier League at the beginning of the season:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That's always cool. We only have one team in the immediate area that would play in that age group. I say age group because I'm not so sure they can play to that level of competition. Still, that must have been a good experience, and it's gotta be fun to see yourself on the screen.

In other news, the interval test that we switched to was brutal and the attrition rate was not good. The positive is that those who are serious are working on it, and it should potentially raise the fitness level for the mid-grade referees in the state. Now I just wish there were more than amateur adult leagues to get better experience refereeing.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

^^^^That's pretty cool Mewcenary. You'll have to remind me, have you done much for the U21 Premier League before or is this kind of your introduction to that?

I spaced on this thread completely til I was looking for another thread here in TYK to read.

To update, when I last left the thread I had hurt my knee and had to pull out of R3ODP Camp assignment. I was pretty bummed about that, and doubly so with state camp right around the corner.

I don't know how many of y'all in USSF land have paid attention to or have been told about recertification requirements, but Chicago put out new minimums that will be in effect as of July 1, 2014. States are welcome to adopt them at their leisure before then, and are able to modify them to what they see fit. The fitness test is switching from the Cooper 12 minute run to the interval test. I think it's 45/45, which is, to put it blunt, too easy. No fitness test or assesment required for 7, G6 only needs 100 games and 1 assessment (iirc), and G5 is 200 games and 2 assessments (again, iirc). Point is, lot of changes. Also, Grade 7 no longer has a minimum age and there is going to be a class that will take you from "Not a referee" to "Grade 7" immediately. How often that will be offered, who knows. It sounds like Missouri, for instance, is only going to offer the class to Adult League players who would be interested in becoming referees for adult games. Think a G9 "rec" badge, but they can only do adult games instead. (That's hearsay, so maybe I misunderstood, but that's what I got out of the conversation)

My state decided to adopt the new changes for Grade 7 effective now, as I found out when I took my exam to get graded (96%, woo) and the conversation with the SRA ended with "Well, you don't need the fitness test anymore, so we're gonna mark you as upgraded to 7".

I'm going to be working some youth games this weekend to edge my way back into things, and I'm targetting a labor day tournament as my first weekend to take a full load on. After that, I need to get my center count up more for the eventual upgrade to 6, but I also need to start working my way into the adult league up here since I have not done any games for that assignor yet. My plan as of today is to travel to a tournament if it's a tournament weekend in-state (with maybe a trip to Oklahoma or Missouri once in there for the fun of it), and otherwise just work the adults.

Soccer is back and I'm excited.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 15, 2013

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
chaoslord, it sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm in Region II myself, and we just did the switch to the Interval Test in Kentucky. We already had our advanced clinic for 2014 badges, and the times were 35/45. It was a wake-up call for plenty of people. I'd love if we adopted the no-assessments for Grade 7 thing, but then we'd have the same problem with trying to get assessments for just as many people going to grade 6. I'd almost wish they'd go fitness test/no assessments for grade 7, because those are the people we're seeing at our State Open Cup finals anyway. The National Instructor that came in suggested that the requirements might be shifting again by next year, so I think they're probably doing a bunch of trial runs in different states to see what works the best.

I'm working on my G6 game count, and trying to pull my last G7 assessment, but I may end up waiting for next season as there are so many high school and college games that I can't open my email without getting another assignment. I really wish we had one system throughout for officiating, because then all those games might actually count for upgrades. Instead you have people working their way up in the different programs and then some that work their way up in NCAA and USSF and there's just not enough games to go around on all the levels. Personally, I know I'm going to need to make the choice of going National NISOA/NCAA or push to National Candidate/G4/USSF. Just think about all those college games that could be counted for upgrade that just can't because we can't collectively decide to just use the Laws of the Game (which in my opinion is a load of poo poo that we have three systems).

Did your State switch to taking the yearly laws test online through gameofficials as well?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jhet posted:

chaoslord, it sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm in Region II myself, and we just did the switch to the Interval Test in Kentucky. We already had our advanced clinic for 2014 badges, and the times were 35/45. It was a wake-up call for plenty of people. I'd love if we adopted the no-assessments for Grade 7 thing, but then we'd have the same problem with trying to get assessments for just as many people going to grade 6. I'd almost wish they'd go fitness test/no assessments for grade 7, because those are the people we're seeing at our State Open Cup finals anyway. The National Instructor that came in suggested that the requirements might be shifting again by next year, so I think they're probably doing a bunch of trial runs in different states to see what works the best.

I'm working on my G6 game count, and trying to pull my last G7 assessment, but I may end up waiting for next season as there are so many high school and college games that I can't open my email without getting another assignment. I really wish we had one system throughout for officiating, because then all those games might actually count for upgrades. Instead you have people working their way up in the different programs and then some that work their way up in NCAA and USSF and there's just not enough games to go around on all the levels. Personally, I know I'm going to need to make the choice of going National NISOA/NCAA or push to National Candidate/G4/USSF. Just think about all those college games that could be counted for upgrade that just can't because we can't collectively decide to just use the Laws of the Game (which in my opinion is a load of poo poo that we have three systems).

Did your State switch to taking the yearly laws test online through gameofficials as well?

No, here in Arkansas we have either the paper test or an online test that comes from...somewhere...for 8/9 that gets taken through our own special little database. Screenshot will be added later.

The NFHS/NISOA/USSF divide frustrates me as well. No, I'm not in NISOA and don't think invites here start coming until you hit G6, but NFHS takes up the entire spring except for U12 and those games, while padding numbers and sometimes fun, aren't really what is needed. I'm in the northwest corner of the state which is where a lot of the 7A high schools are concetrated and a lot of the best high school soccer gets played. It was my first year up here so I didn't get a lot of the VB assignments, but I did a good number of VG. Yes, the experience is great, but there is a number count that is needed, too. The few VB games I did work were probably tougher than a good amount of the adult league games around these parts. I know I am not going to be ready for G6 for a while still, but it's going to take a bedding in period with the new assignor to even start getting the centers up here since we have a G4 and a large percentage of the state's fast tracked G6/7s and it means that I will probably be a ways off still from the game count needed by the time I am ready to move up (if I am able to learn to that level; I know not everyone can be a good State, and maybe that's me, but for now I'm confident I will be able to prepare for it).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

chaoslord posted:

No, here in Arkansas we have either the paper test or an online test that comes from...somewhere...for 8/9 that gets taken through our own special little database. Screenshot will be added later.

The NFHS/NISOA/USSF divide frustrates me as well. No, I'm not in NISOA and don't think invites here start coming until you hit G6, but NFHS takes up the entire spring except for U12 and those games, while padding numbers and sometimes fun, aren't really what is needed. I'm in the northwest corner of the state which is where a lot of the 7A high schools are concetrated and a lot of the best high school soccer gets played. It was my first year up here so I didn't get a lot of the VB assignments, but I did a good number of VG. Yes, the experience is great, but there is a number count that is needed, too. The few VB games I did work were probably tougher than a good amount of the adult league games around these parts. I know I am not going to be ready for G6 for a while still, but it's going to take a bedding in period with the new assignor to even start getting the centers up here since we have a G4 and a large percentage of the state's fast tracked G6/7s and it means that I will probably be a ways off still from the game count needed by the time I am ready to move up (if I am able to learn to that level; I know not everyone can be a good State, and maybe that's me, but for now I'm confident I will be able to prepare for it).

Yeah, once you get working your adult league games, you'll know if moving up is the way you want to go or not. I'm glad to hear you have good varsity teams down there, because ours run the entire spectrum in the area. Make sure you check on the level of the adult amateur league in your area too. Ours is considered DI amateur, so the games count for both both 6 and 5.

I know there was a point on my game count where I went from feeling that created confidence in my decision making-telling myself "I know I can do it"-to just feeling the confidence-"I do it." Even though I'll sit and think about my game critical decisions for a day or two after to think about a way to deal with it next time. I called a foul on the weekend and almost without thinking about it my hand was reaching for my back pocket where I store my red card. I knew what I saw, a kick to the groin above the ball with no attempt to play it, and I knew what I needed to do both with the presence and the misconduct that made actually giving the card so much easier. It's realizing that I'm capable of doing the little things to manage the game where I figured out I really did want to give it a run to try to do some more advanced games. I don't know if you'll just blow the whistle some day and just feel it like that. It may not even be something many referees feel, but I hope you have that moment where you know if it's just something you want to do on the weekend or something you want to advance in.

For me, I know that I'd love to maybe do a little traveling to do tournaments or some lower division adult leagues. First on my list of possible destinations is Canada, so here's hoping.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Had my first KFTPM game today - women's cup semi-final. Ended 8-7 after 11 rounds of kicks, including me recording scores under the wrong team and the other AR giving one team an extra goal on her sheet. Eventually got it all straightened out, but drat what a mission. (The players didn't notice, aside from a quick conference after the fifth round "It's 3-3 right?" "Yep" "Thought so, cheers". It was only when we got back to the sheds that I realised I'd put the scores under the wrong team on my sheet.)

Games that go to KFPTM after extra time should be paid double. :mad: It took us three hours to get through the game + kicks, and an additional half an hour in the sheds checking that everyone who kicked should've been on the field at the end of the game.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Thel posted:

Had my first KFTPM game today - women's cup semi-final. Ended 8-7 after 11 rounds of kicks, including me recording scores under the wrong team and the other AR giving one team an extra goal on her sheet. Eventually got it all straightened out, but drat what a mission. (The players didn't notice, aside from a quick conference after the fifth round "It's 3-3 right?" "Yep" "Thought so, cheers". It was only when we got back to the sheds that I realised I'd put the scores under the wrong team on my sheet.)

Games that go to KFPTM after extra time should be paid double. :mad: It took us three hours to get through the game + kicks, and an additional half an hour in the sheds checking that everyone who kicked should've been on the field at the end of the game.

You're going to have to explain what the hell KFPTM means or else.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
Kicks From The Penalty Mark

What the hell, why not just say penalties?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do we feel about this?

Referees are in danger of becoming a lobby group, like Ukip in shorts | Barney Ronay

http://gu.com/p/3jf9k

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

oliwan posted:

Referees are in danger of becoming a lobby group, like Ukip in shorts | Barney Ronay

The same people who read this article and agree with it are probably the same ones who verbally abuse referees at lower levels and keep the pools so thin.

From the article posted:

There are perhaps a few things that can be done about all this. What is required above all is a shared acceptance of the rule that anybody who actually wants to be a referee should automatically be disqualified from becoming one

lmao this will totally help.

If it wouldn't have the potential to ruin an entire generation of referees, I'd like to see his plan implemented just to show how awful it would be. Why can't referees aspire to do their job? If players can think "One day I want to play for <big club>", why is it so bad for referees to say "I want to work in <big competition>"? Recruiting referees from former players or people who don't want to be there would be a worse idea than a winter world cup in Qatar.

e: Imagine Ferdinand having to keep up with play for 90 minutes and having to give John Terry a penalty when he gets fouled by someone.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 11, 2013

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
The article is designed to appeal to the same demographic that assume those that want a career in law enforcement want it because they were bullied at school.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

oliwan posted:

I feel like this was posted in the Guardian by a football journalist looking to continue entertaining his readers. I'm sure it worked to entertain the sort that like to moan excessively about how referees ruin the game. Mostly it's just a bunch of sensationalized crap and should probably be ignored.

This seems to stem from Halsey and Poll having a spat and being great examples of how to not talk in the media. There are reasons we referees don't talk to media, or vent frustrations on open public social networks, and this is a good example of why we shouldn't. The media is great at making a story out of things, and referees and sport in general are easy to make stories from. Just this last week the local media, coaches, Athletic Directors, and referees in my state misread (or really only read part of) a guidance for post-game activities in high school sports. The media jumped all over it and there were angry people all over the place. Nothing really changed, but the high school association was trying to clarify something and it went to hell in a hand basket full of misinformation and probably good intentions.

So I guess the bigger picture here is even the top level referees (and former referees) should just keep it in house and work hard to do their job right. That's probably a better message to take from the whole crappy circus that's happened with retired referees this last week.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

oliwan posted:

Anyone got that "Haters gonna hate" gif handy? That's roughly my take on this.

Anyway, back to why I came back to this thread, anyone got advice on off-season fitness? I'm still playing floorball (think like indoor hockey) three times a week, so my sprint/interval training is pretty well covered. Any advice for endurance training for someone who utterly detests jogging/running? I guess I could go to the gym and spend some time on the bike, but that's only slightly less tedious than running.

e: I'm southern hemisphere, so (at amateur levels anyway), our season is March-September roughly.

Thel fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 28, 2013

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Thel posted:

Anyway, back to why I came back to this thread, anyone got advice on off-season fitness? I'm still playing floorball (think like indoor hockey) three times a week, so my sprint/interval training is pretty well covered. Any advice for endurance training for someone who utterly detests jogging/running? I guess I could go to the gym and spend some time on the bike, but that's only slightly less tedious than running.

e: I'm southern hemisphere, so (at amateur levels anyway), our season is March-September roughly.

I do interval training myself. Which is a lot of heavy running, and I don't really do much in the way of endurance training outside that. There's a system of sorts that I use for off season that ends up being a lot like the regular season training. Heavy days encompass 4-6 miles of running and/or intervals. Light days have 1-2 miles of running as a warm up cool down with weight training/lifting. Upper, lower, and core muscle groups are in regular rotation on those days. Weeks during the season are similar in that I still try to get in the weight training parts to keep everything rounded out and fit. I used to just do the running thing, but the additional training actually makes the running easier for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
We did a yearly fitness test again today, and with the colder weather not very many people showed up. The good news is that the interval test at 150m/45s:50m/45s and 40m sprint/10s is a low enough standard that it won't kill the brand new grade 7s. Granted, that's the lowest standard supposedly allowed by USSF for non-National grade referees, so here's to hoping they make it a bit more stringent over time (at least for the state levels).

You can still tell the difference between the people who have been training versus the ones that haven't been training. I'm happy that I'm now firmly part of the first group now, because everything just feels so much better.

• Locked thread