Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Semisponge posted:

But son, you are shameful. If you truly love chickencheese, you should take your contest on the chin. No chickening out. No cheesing the rules. Just do the best you can, and you'll be a better person for it.

Naw I'm good, thanks though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Doh004 posted:

Naw I'm good, thanks though :)

You are literally the worst. :(

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Semisponge posted:

You are literally the worst. :(

Not the first time I've been called that in this thread!

:smith:

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

angerbot posted:

There's nothing wrong with salsa chicken

Well now you've gone and done it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Okay. I think this has probably gone on long enough to let all the factions have their say and make their case. It's time for a little bit of policy statement. I'm speaking here for Happy Abobo and for myself, because we're the mods of GWS and ultimately responsible for the kind of forum that develops here. You can assume we speak for the admins inasmuch as they care about individual forums "drama" since if they felt otherwise they'd find someone else to moderate the place. Any of them are welcome to comment further if they feel I've spoken out of turn.

First, to this post:

toplitzin posted:

I'm not at all painting everybody with the elitist brush. I'm just saying how i feel about GWS sometimes. I agree that GWS is an amazing resource. It just sometimes feels like do it right or don't do it at all.
This is a valid criticism. If someone posts a thread with rudimentary cooking skill, it's a 50/50 shot whether they get encouraged or hosed in the rear end with a microplane. I don't think it's overstating the case to say GWS sometimes has a negative reaction to newbie cooks, regardless of their intent when they post. Honest enthusiasm is met with withering commentary or unfunny lampooning. That discourages contribution, which leads to forum stagnation.

MasterFugu posted:

This is exactly the point that ricola, HH and various others have been making. when the thread is so narrowly focused, there's nowhere to go but down.
Abobo may disagree here, but I don't see this as a problem. I posted a thread a few months ago talking about my trip through Jalisco touring tequila distilleries. That was a narrowly focused thread that didn't develop into anything other than me posting photos and talking about what I'd learned. Then the thread died and it's on its way to archives. There's nothing wrong with that.

In fact, I'd argue it's healthy for a forum to have a number of small, focused, short-lived threads. A bit of thread turnover makes things more interesting, and it keeps people clicking the forum header instead of just going to their subscribed threads page of the control panel to browse the 2-3 things they find interesting.

angerbot posted:

There's nothing wrong with salsa chicken
The 'bot has spoken. CE felt the same when he was a mod, and so do your current moderators. Get used to it.

For some people dumping salsa and chicken breasts into a crock pot and turning it into food is literally a miracle. Are they idiots? Sure. But they're the best kind of idiots: the kind we can teach to do better.

Yes, idiotproof recipes are simplistic and can be improved. That doesn't mean we should poo poo on idiotproof recipes. They serve their purpose: they get people started cooking, and from there they get curious and start reading more. These kinds of thread will never be the backbone of GWS posting, but they need to exist without being trolled into oblivion. Please.

Semisponge posted:

I think the way this thread riles people up is loving hilarious.
Confession time. I have taken a perhaps unseemly delight in the amount of apparent rage this thread has created. Rest assured I will continue to do so should people decide to post angrily about silly, entertaining things that have some culinary merit as well. If no other justification will prevent you from trolling, then let the knowledge that not trolling will reduce the joy in my life be your guide.

Finally, lest I be accused of being completely partisan in this:

Doh004 posted:

No thank you, I respectfully decline. I would get absolutely demolished :)
But thou must.

No really. I must insist you go forward with a challenge of your choosing against the venerable and skilled Ricola. You've shown the ability to prepare food without killing yourself and photograph it adequately. That's all the skill that is required. To turn down this challenge would be unthinkable. I say this as someone who has recently been challenged and beaten soundly: do it. Choose your terms of engagement and give it your best shot. You'll be glad you did.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

bartolimu posted:

Abobo may disagree here, but I don't see this as a problem. I posted a thread a few months ago talking about my trip through Jalisco touring tequila distilleries. That was a narrowly focused thread that didn't develop into anything other than me posting photos and talking about what I'd learned. Then the thread died and it's on its way to archives. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'd argue that's incredibly different than the same recipe and variations on the same 12 photos over and over... but whatever.

re:doh004

I hope you do the challenge man, it'll be interesting if nothing else.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'll volunteer to be Doh's stand in if he continues to balk and I can set the terms. And I will be beaten to a pulp.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Toast posted:

I'd argue that's incredibly different than the same recipe and variations on the same 12 photos over and over.
Yes, it is different. Not every thread featuring an elementary recipe like chickencheese is going to evolve in the same way. That said, one of the things I like most about GWS is that posts sometimes directly inspire other people to eat what we're eating. The "what did you eat last night" thread is particularly great for this, but not the only contributor. While the samey-ness of photos might get a little boring in here after a while, I think this kind of collaboration and sharing should generally be encouraged.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Why do you get the throwdown :( I wanted one, but cherryporkportlady ran off.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Why do you get the throwdown :( I wanted one, but cherryporkportlady ran off.

Don't you remember? cherryporkportlady was actually a portdude who smugposted his way off into the sunset leaving us all with a case of free range organic heritage salmon-encrusted balls.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Just want to pop in and say I'd eat the poo poo out of most of the creations in this thread, esp The Dip.

ChickenMug was disappointing, however. Not nearly enough huevos or rancheros.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I would argue that to remedy the calamity that is the 'chickencheese' situation we elect a third moderator for the GWS forum. It is obvious that there are several warring factions that will not reconcile their differences and desperately need a third party mediator -- an arbiter of sorts -- one who is vested in this community but is not entangled in the politics of it. One who could help remediate the faults that each parties lay claim.

If this proposal is to gain traction amongst the regulars (and irregulars) of this subforum, I would like to nominate myself for that position.

I have been a member of these forums for over 12 years. I have seen every trend, every meme, every flame war, every ghastly thing that has occurred. I was there for Hotdog Roll-Up.

I am one who wants the highest quality of posts and culinary consortium but also enjoy sillyposts and understand their importance. Believe me, no one cried harder the day the burg thread in GBS was locked than myself.

In these short few days approaching the national elections I realize many have little concern for the seemingly 'petty' disputes over quality control of this subforum, but I do.

There is far too much divisiveness, far too much animosity between the different folds of our union. Much as the United States has a checks and balances system with the executive, judicial, and legislative branch, this forum needs the same. Our existence is not sustainable with the current system we have.

Elect me and we will form a triumvirate that will equally represent the values of all Goons With Spoons to form a stronger, more unified subforum -- representing the interests of the highly skilled who wish to demonstrate what talented cooking can and should be, while maintaining a friendly atmosphere where anybody can come to ask any question they have without the fear of ridicule, or post the occasional thread of silly without being be-shatten on by the 'elite.'

"Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity". -Voltaire

[edit] This post is in no way meant to disparage Bart or Happy in any way, just that for the health of this community it might help to introduce other opinions.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

NEW IDEA.

Toast! I hereby challenge you to a chickencheese throwdown!

You feel there is nowhere to go, and that all the chickencheese that can exist have existed. I say NAY!

We each must create 3 new preparations of chickencheese not yet photographed in this thread. I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but dessert and drink are fair options if you think it could work.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Man this thread went from awesome to terrible in less than a page. If I had the time I'd totally make a paprika chickenncheese.

Doh004 if you take up the challenge from Riccola just make the theme about eggs and you'll be sure to win.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jesus Christ posted:

I would argue that to remedy the calamity that is the 'chickencheese' situation we elect a third moderator for the GWS forum. It is obvious that there are several warring factions that will not reconcile their differences and desperately need a third party mediator -- an arbiter of sorts -- one who is vested in this community but is not entangled in the politics of it. One who could help remediate the faults that each parties lay claim.

If this proposal is to gain traction amongst the regulars (and irregulars) of this subforum, I would like to nominate myself for that position.

I have been a member of these forums for over 12 years. I have seen every trend, every meme, every flame war, every ghastly thing that has occurred. I was there for Hotdog Roll-Up.

I am one who wants the highest quality of posts and culinary consortium but also enjoy sillyposts and understand their importance. Believe me, no one cried harder the day the burg thread in GBS was locked than myself.

In these short few days approaching the national elections I realize many have little concern for the seemingly 'petty' disputes over quality control of this subforum, but I do.

There is far too much divisiveness, far too much animosity between the different folds of our union. Much as the United States has a checks and balances system with the executive, judicial, and legislative branch, this forum needs the same. Our existence is not sustainable with the current system we have.

Elect me and we will form a triumvirate that will equally represent the values of all Goons With Spoons to form a stronger, more unified subforum -- representing the interests of the highly skilled who wish to demonstrate what talented cooking can and should be, while maintaining a friendly atmosphere where anybody can come to ask any question they have without the fear of ridicule, or post the occasional thread of silly without being be-shatten on by the 'elite.'

"Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity". -Voltaire

[edit] This post is in no way meant to disparage Bart or Happy in any way, just that for the health of this community it might help to introduce other opinions.

Hahahahaha what a terrible idea.

Also Doh004 you totally have to do the cookoff, now! You got called out by a mod.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Jesus Christ posted:

lol the food forum doesn't need 3 mods

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Ugh, if I did the challenge it would be so anticlimactic.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Doh004 posted:

If you put in effort, I'm not sure why it would be anticlimactic. You are in charge of how this goes!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Doh004 posted:

You mean, WHEN you do this challenge

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

Cooking throwdowns are how we settle beefs in this forum. They always work out well for all parties, unless one party simply refuses to participate.

edit: here's the one pr0k and I did. Might need archives to see it. But it was totally fun.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Thread's up.

drat peer pressure.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Huzzah!

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?

toplitzin posted:

NEW IDEA.

Toast! I hereby challenge you to a chickencheese throwdown!

You feel there is nowhere to go, and that all the chickencheese that can exist have existed. I say NAY!

We each must create 3 new preparations of chickencheese not yet photographed in this thread. I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but dessert and drink are fair options if you think it could work.

Toplitzin, you truly are an Avatar for Chickencheese!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Thread's up.

drat peer pressure.

:3:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Jesus Christ posted:

Ahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

let me stop to catch my breath here hold on

ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

This is an appropriate response

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's really the only way to address Jesus Christ.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Jesus Christ fixes everything.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I hope Toast accepts my challenge throwdown.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

CuddleChunks posted:

Don't you remember? cherryporkportlady was actually a portdude who smugposted his way off into the sunset leaving us all with a case of free range organic heritage salmon-encrusted balls.

Oh right. I still want to throwdown :(

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Casu marzu chickencheese, additional texture elements unnecessary :barf:

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Dill havarti, lemon chicken, homegrown tomato, dijon, homemade bread.

:smug:

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Three? We need five mods at least, working in shifts. It's like loving Thunderdome in here. :rolleyes:

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Happy Abobo posted:

Three? We need five mods at least, working in shifts. It's like loving Thunderdome in here. :rolleyes:

Outside of the chili guy and emeraldcity how many people have been banned due to their posting on GWS?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
In keeping with the true spirit of this thread, I present to you a new and amazing dish that everyone in GWS will want to try. It's not chicken. It's not cheese.

I give you:

HOT DOG EGG ROLL!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Well that is apparently a hot dog and an egg roll. Would you look at that.

homerlaw posted:

Outside of the chili guy and emeraldcity how many people have been banned due to their posting on GWS?

What did these guys do? Someone mentioned emeraldcity earlier in the thread.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Well that is apparently a hot dog and an egg roll. Would you look at that.

What did these guys do? Someone mentioned emeraldcity earlier in the thread.

EmeraldCity did this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493011&highlight=

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Man, that turned weird and awesome on the last page.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mindphlux posted:

ozmahahaha

Wait does this mean you are putting yourself on yah Axis of Evil list?