Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Metagame = get Voltar, push one lane. This is the most OP tactic yet.
Also Yuri loving owns. He starts being really retarded when he can zoom around the map with double speed making GBS threads three 18 damage bouncemines on a 2 second interval while healing himself :psyduck:

Kikka fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Man, people really underestimate Cocos explosive attack. Even after a few times they still stop behind their turrets thinking they are safe. They are not. :black101:

Also nothing is more satisfying than bringing down a constantly taunting and flying yuri with a well aimed shot. Two guys ragequit that match on the enemy side. (Yuri and Leon)

Still not sure which ball lightning upgrades are the most annoying, I'm currently using +damage, +speed and +staying time. I'm also trying to use the knockback feature to knock vulnerable enemies like Voltar back into my team by detonating the shot behind them usually, works like a charm.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
These steam friends list limits are really pissing me off, why can't they lift them? It is a pain in the rear end having to remove people just to play with new players for a new game.

Hey quick question, do you really only get 1 stage to pick from until you hit level 11? Then are there only 3 levels? Am I missing something? Levels don't look that complex, I was hoping there would be tons of levels.

Can people make levels like in worms or is that just not possible?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

These steam friends list limits are really pissing me off, why can't they lift them? It is a pain in the rear end having to remove people just to play with new players for a new game.

Hey quick question, do you really only get 1 stage to pick from until you hit level 11? Then are there only 3 levels? Am I missing something? Levels don't look that complex, I was hoping there would be tons of levels.

There are 3 stages, you can't make them, and you can play the other levels early on in random games, but not in practice.

I don't know why, to any of those things.

edit Actually that last one makes the least sense. "hey you can practice on this third map once you're level 24, you know, after you've clearly got at least a basic understanding of how to play the game' :iiam:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

miscellaneous14 posted:

Goddammit.

(I was Clunk, and we lost)

Also we had a Leon who wouldn't stop bitching about Yuri being overpowered, and I never once saw him use his grab on him.

On the bright side of things, I got to try out Coco for the first time. At first, I thought you literally had to time the electric ball to end right where an enemy was going. Then I discovered you can remote-detonate it and, hilarious balloon-breasts aside, I think she's now my favorite character.

Oh wow I was in that game haha. Can't believe we managed to win, by the end I was just suicide rushing to the end because I was playing like poo poo anyways

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

AxeManiac posted:

Then are there only 3 levels? Am I missing something? Levels don't look that complex, I was hoping there would be tons of levels.

People asked the developer about more levels way back in the day and Ronimo said that making levels is waaay more difficult than making new heroes. I don't know if it's an "amount of art assets needed" thing, or a "making bot AI smart" thing or what. Having tons of levels isn't really a standard moba thing anyways.

Although I do wish there was one really simple, open map, like Smash Bros's Final Destination map.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

Although I do wish there was one really simple, open map, like Smash Bros's Final Destination map.
I take it you're a fan of Yuri, then?

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Bought this last night on a whim and I'm really enjoying it. I play a lot of Dota2 and awesomenauts is great since I don't need to dedicate a huge amount of time or dedication to learn the game, and it's fun from the start.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Went Lonestar for the first time since I use random at the start of a match, I still think he's kinda meh. The dynamite is very underwhelming compared to some other attacks but at least it lets you gank towers safely without creeps nearby.
If you get caught by a decent Leon though good bye. Also why is his movement bonus more expensive than for other characters? gently caress that triple jump.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The appeal of Lonestar is that the short cooldown of the dynamite, combined with the absurd amounts of damage it does if you throw it right in people's faces, means that you can wreck poo poo up as long as you have a basic idea of where enemies will be going.

I have absolutely no clue why people just buy the bull and spam it, though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
http://www.gamesradar.com/awesomenauts-launches-steam-includes-adorable-hidden-mini-game/

This is interesting!

Edit: Tried it with a friend of mine, and neither she nor I could notice any difference between the characters, so just pick who you like and enjoy Smash-Bros Lite. :3:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 5, 2012

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Polo-Rican posted:

Having tons of levels isn't really a standard moba thing anyways.

That is a bummer, I'm enjoying the game so far, but really would like a change of scenery. Even just a graphical change, something. Too bad they didn't open this game up to the mod community.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
One game I was in had an enemy Lonestar that was destroying everyone with his bull. He ended up like 22-1. I don't even know how that happened.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

AxeManiac posted:

That is a bummer, I'm enjoying the game so far, but really would like a change of scenery.

In fairness to Ronimo, the 3 levels they did make are loving beautiful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Apple Jax posted:

In fairness to Ronimo, the 3 levels they did make are loving beautiful.

And in all honesty, three maps is actually quite a lot for a MOBA game. League of Legends, for instance, went AGES with only 2 maps, and only added a third fairly recently, with its own gamemode.

Making a map for a MOBA game is actually REALLY HARD because there are all sorts of fiddly balance concerns. It's not a matter of art assets or bot pathfinding, it's really about making sure the map is made without any sort of potential imbalance.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just picked this up and it seems like a lot of fun. Should I be playing a lot of practice games before I try jumping in with randoms?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Can we pay extra to not have Leon in every match?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

miscellaneous14 posted:

Are you sure about this? I believe if you do this, it'll just keep picking the same character the randomizer got the first time.
Hmm, maybe they fixed it on the PC version? It still works just fine on console. You pick random, then at the skill-selection screen, just hit "Back" and it gives you another choice.

FrickenMoron posted:

Went Lonestar for the first time since I use random at the start of a match, I still think he's kinda meh. The dynamite is very underwhelming compared to some other attacks but at least it lets you gank towers safely without creeps nearby.
If you get caught by a decent Leon though good bye. Also why is his movement bonus more expensive than for other characters? gently caress that triple jump.
Uhh, did you never upgrade to triple dynamite? I'm not sure what about 35*3 damage seems so underwhelming. With Piggy Bank you can have it right out of the gate and one-shot most characters (including Leon, which I've not seen so much bawling about one well-balanced character being played by skilled players, for a loooong time.)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

coyo7e posted:

(including Leon, which I've not seen so much bawling about one well-balanced character being played by skilled players, for a loooong time.)

I don't know, I assumed he was hard to play, but he's the only character I had no trouble playing. I've never seen a bad leon, or rather, a Leon do badly.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

What's with all the Mr. Froggy G hate. He's a great ganker early, mid, and late-game. Splash Dash early game with stun boosts can force enemies silly enough to come close to the turrets into a very vulnerable state, and tornado with the shield boost and splash dash means you basically move as a semi-invincible ganker. I usually use the explosion for tornado and most people don't expect to see an extra 40 damage off their HP after the initial spin. Froggy is also an awesome counter to Leon. Just jump and dash down and towards Leon and you can stun lock - tornado his reptilian rear end. Not to mention he's a natural Yuri counter and all-round great fella!

Stanly Coober
Nov 5, 2008

Perhaps the same could be said of YOUR religions...
Froggy G is legit and even though I haven't actually been in a winning game of Awesomenauts since I bought the game Friday, I consider it a victory if I get his theme music to play in a match :bustem:

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Here's a thing I made:

Enjoy.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I think 2/3rds of all my deaths come from a Froggy G stun-spin.

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Hmm, maybe they fixed it on the PC version? It still works just fine on console. You pick random, then at the skill-selection screen, just hit "Back" and it gives you another choice.

Do you just play on console? Only reason I ask is that you've talked about how bad Leon is, but I've read a lot of people mentioning how much better he is on PC because of things like aiming/auto attacking.

I'm not MLG Awesomenauts or anything, but Leon is clearly one of the stronger characters in the game and is completely dominating the leaderboards.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stanly Coober posted:

Froggy G is legit and even though I haven't actually been in a winning game of Awesomenauts since I bought the game Friday, I consider it a victory if I get his theme music to play in a match :bustem:

I love how a character's theme plays when you get a killing spree. It makes it so rewarding. :allears:

I can't play Lonestar at all. I just never seem to be able to kill people unless I get lucky with my missles. His dynamite is amazing for getting really ahead in solar by farming droids, though.

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I love how a character's theme plays when you get a killing spree. It makes it so rewarding. :allears:

I can't play Lonestar at all. I just never seem to be able to kill people unless I get lucky with my missles. His dynamite is amazing for getting really ahead in solar by farming droids, though.

On Lonestar I just upgrade dynamite to triple stick with a detonate on impact ability and I get most of my kills that way.

DeltaOmega
Oct 22, 2007
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE STUFF ON THE RIGHT!!!
Lonestar dynamite gets ridiculously powerful with the incendiary upgrade and additional stick. A fun thing to do is get reflect on Froggy's spin and reflect dynamite and nukes straight back. Nothing is more satisfying watching Derpl launch a nuke with Voltar and Leon supporting to only get nuked back and stunned.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Mr.Success posted:

I'm not MLG Awesomenauts or anything, but Leon is clearly one of the stronger characters in the game and is completely dominating the leaderboards.

I think it's similar to the Spy in TF2; a lot of the character's strengths are in exploiting the weaknesses of bad/newer players. There are numerous counters to Leon, but most of them require basic coordination with other players and making sure to check your back every once in a while, i.e. things most people are wont not to do.

If there were any changes I'd make with the class though, it would be halving both the amount of healing you can get on the grab, and the amount of damage the backslash does. The former just gets him up to full health way too fast, and the other can kill you before you even know what happens, as well as clear out bots far too quickly.

He's kind of similar to the Assassin when Monday Night Combat got ported over, they excel at both clearing bots and picking off players quickly. It should be one, the other, or a little of both.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does it take a long time to hit the cap level? I'm pretty turned off right away by the fact that the unlockable items are straight upgrades and not sidegrades.

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Speaking of coordination, is frog stun into coco ball + lonestar dynamite combo as good as I think it is? I kinda want two other people to just run that all day.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Clunk is pretty much the robot of my childhood dreams. Constantly exploding and dangerous to smaller things.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

prom candy posted:

Does it take a long time to hit the cap level? I'm pretty turned off right away by the fact that the unlockable items are straight upgrades and not sidegrades.

Eh, most of them are just the +dmg upgrades condensed into one upgrade. If you take both of them you lose some other bonus of course. If you play a good match and win + random you can get like 20k exp in one match.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

prom candy posted:

From what I see with the unlockable items, they are in fact sidegrades. You can get upgrades to your stuff that are "better" upgrades, but they cost more solar, so it's balanced by that. I mean, some unlockable stuff seems more useful than others, but it seems you can do just fine with the standard items they give you.

Plus leveling up isn't that hard, I'm already 27 and I've lost a lot of my matches.

Edit: I may have misinterpreted what you meant by cap level. Do you mean your cap level in a given match, or just to unlock every item?

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 6, 2012

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prom candy posted:

They're not sidegrades. Lonestar is worthless without rubber casings and incendiary dynamite. Leon sucks without attack/move/explode clones and both tongue damage upgrades. Froggy G needs all the cooldown reduction on dash possible or else he can't anti-air for poo poo. Voltar can't do anything but hide behind clunk until like level 40. Derpl's actually pretty okay except for the fact he unlocks at level 19. Solar tree and piggy bank are the first and second best generic selections in the game, and the third best is a free +30 hp you unlock at level 39.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 6, 2012

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Normal Adult Human posted:

Solar tree and piggy bank are the first and second best generic selections in the game, and the third best is a free +30 hp you unlock at level 39.

Are you saying that you don't get boots?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You have to get boots on Leon and Lonestar and i'm not really even sure about lonestar anymore. Everyone else can easily skip them for economy options.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So what am I missing about solar farming/generation? Even if I'm constantly defending and killing people I just keep falling levels and levels behind every time I have to go back. Is it just word of law to run the income stuff?

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Orv posted:

So what am I missing about solar farming/generation? Even if I'm constantly defending and killing people I just keep falling levels and levels behind every time I have to go back. Is it just word of law to run the income stuff?

I would say definitely take at least piggy bank. The big difference for me from when I was struggling to keep up leveling to now when I'm usually near the top on levels, was to take advantage of the neutral creeps to heal so I could stay in lane as long as possible. You really want to make an effort to grab every bit of solar you can, both when it drops and from the jungle. I know that sounds like obvious advice, but over a period of 10 minutes it begins to add up when you let the stuff just sit there for periods of time (or worse, you let the enemy get it).

I literally hit lvl 25 last game while the other team was still ~10 because they were bad and let me do whatever I wanted as far as grabbing their jungle stuff. You'll know you're up against someone who is at least a little bit competent when you find yourself constantly fighting them over the neutrals. I also didn't take boots that game and went double solar so there's that too.

edit: Also not having your team feed is a good way to stay on par with levels.

Mr.Success fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 6, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Normal Adult Human posted:

They're not sidegrades. Lonestar is worthless without rubber casings and incendiary dynamite. Leon sucks without attack/move/explode clones and both tongue damage upgrades. Froggy G needs all the cooldown reduction on dash possible or else he can't anti-air for poo poo. Voltar can't do anything but hide behind clunk until like level 40. Derpl's actually pretty okay except for the fact he unlocks at level 19. Solar tree and piggy bank are the first and second best generic selections in the game, and the third best is a free +30 hp you unlock at level 39.

I really like this game but I feel like all the stuff you have to unlock that's so much better than default makes some characters feel worthless until they get it. And I don't like beating people just because my Froggy tornado had +40 damage on it and theirs didn't.

Orv posted:

Make sure you get the health powerups from killing neutral enemies or the ones that sit around the map. You also can't be very aggressive initially, you really don't want to lose a lot of health at all before you get some HP regen/HP upgrades. HP regen is totally underrated, I like it better than money tree because it means you can stay out there fighting longer.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Orv posted:

If you're constantly defending and killing you shouldn't be falling behind. I have a few tips though:
• Always move around and pick up silver, it adds up really quickly
• Even if you don't need health, always kill the neutral creeps in the jungles as often as possible, because each one's health orb gives you 5 gold for some reason... again, this adds up a lot. In the AI Station map you can get 25 gold in like 5 seconds if you jump up there and nuke the neutral creeps. Do that 4 times and that's a ful level.

• Locked thread