Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

oh god im dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Honestly, this should just be the video. I couldn't stop laughing.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Here's Devin dancing along to the whole song he's a great dancer

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Devin is the best metal goofball man.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
The chorus to Lucky Animals has already gotten pretty irritating.

Wartooth
May 31, 2011

henpod posted:

Devin is the best metal goofball man.

Truth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWDriVfJw1Q (Live video from a DTP gig in Oulu, Finland in 2011. Yes, it's my account.) I also am dead after seeing that Lucky Animals dance video.

I can't help liking anything Devin does, even though I don't listen to his stuff THAT actively. He's just so chill and genuine about everything, especially now that he's clean. I can't agree with the people who complained about his production either, except maybe on Physicist. Nope, Physicist is fine too.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The production on Physicist is fine, I think it's just a little aged.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Do any fans actually dislike the production on Physicist? It always seemed it's harshest critic was Devin himself. I probably would never even have thought about it had he not mentioned it in interviews.

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby
^^ It is my least favourite Dev record. The production isn't that bad, it just isn't either SYL or solo Dev. It's like a weird mix of the two.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
It's one of my least favorite too, but I hate to say that because there is still stuff I enjoy. Kingdom is good, and love the last part of the album, starting with Irish Maiden, which I adore.

Terria is another least favorite simply because it's just a little too soft for me, but then again, Earth Day is loving epic and redeems the entire album for me.

Edit: If I ever made a Devin Townsend megathread, I'd have to make the thread title be "And music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks."

Revol fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 13, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The pre-order for the physical versions of Epicloud are up over at Devin's store, along with the usual t-shirts and stuff.

There's also the final track listing:
1. Effervescent!
2. True North
3. Lucky Animals
4. Liberation
5. Where We Belong
6. Save Our Now
7. Kingdom
8. Divine
9. Grace
10. More!
11. Lessons
12. Hold On
13. Angel

And the contents of the second disc in the Digipack version:
1. Believe (Demo)
2. Happy Birthday (Demo)
3. Quietus (Demo)
4. Heatwave (Demo)
5. Love Tonight (Demo)
6. The Mind WASP (Demo)
7. Woah No! (Demo)
8. Love and Marriage (Demo)
9. Socialization (Demo)
10. Little Pig (Demo)

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby
And in true Steven Wilson style, the vinyl contains a track not found anywhere else.

Also, the promos have been distributed.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost
Now the preorder is up for those of us in the US:
http://www.cmdistro.com/Search/devin_epicloud

And it comes with... a teddy bear. Oh Dev, you so weird.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I...I kind of want a DTP teddy bear?

lkz
May 1, 2009
Soiled Meat
Please, come and join the Epicloud listening party.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

lkz posted:

Wow, thanks for the link. I'll be listening to this album a lot.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Don't forget to set it to 720p quality for proper stereo goodness :)

This is a fantastic idea, Devin is the best :h: Everyone knows it'll leak shortly and people will download it to 'check it out' - if they're real fans, they'll enjoy hearing Devy give commentary so this works perfectly.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
...I'm seriously digging this. Glad to be proven wrong every now and then.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Hearing Devin burp and fart whilst taking the piss out of his own music really makes this.

drat, he wasn't kidding when he said this album was cheesy.

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 20, 2012

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

lkz posted:

The video is set to private for me. What did it say?

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006

teen bear posted:

The video is set to private for me. What did it say?

It was the entire album with Devin doing a commentary on it, over it. By the looks of things he was asked to take it down by the record company! It sounded fantastic!

lkz
May 1, 2009
Soiled Meat

LorentzViolator posted:

It was the entire album with Devin doing a commentary on it, over it. By the looks of things he was asked to take it down by the record company! It sounded fantastic!

Total bummer; I was only able to get through 2-3 before having to shuffle off to work. I was really enjoying the commentary portion as well.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I thought everything after Where We Belong was really good, but I still dislike Lucky Animals quite a lot. Grace and Save Our Now are early favourites.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'm not a fan of Lucky Animals. Can't wait to hear this album.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

I've still got it open in a tab. Playback still works. I wish I could download it from here, but I don't have a plugin for it and I'll have to close it when I leave work. :(

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

nomapple posted:

I thought everything after Where We Belong was really good, but I still dislike Lucky Animals quite a lot. Grace and Save Our Now are early favourites.

I didn't like Lucky Animals at all so I'm glad to hear there's some good tracks to look forward to

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Enjoyed everything but Lucky Animals, I can see why Devin hates it already. The commentary for that track ("relative's kids kept singing the chorus around the house, so it's already played out for me") was quite funny. I wish more artists did this kind of thing, I'm a fan of DVD commentary and it reminded me of that in a good way.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wish it was still up just so I could hear the commentary.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

teen bear posted:

I didn't like Lucky Animals at all so I'm glad to hear there's some good tracks to look forward to

Yeah this is exactly how I feel about it.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
I can only hope the Epicloud studio version of Kingdom sounds even remotely as good as what he did on the By A Thread dvd/tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57hs37Yq_3s

Also, totally getting myself a DTP Teddy Bear :getin:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

The listening party was reuploaded by a guy:
http://youtu.be/8vnBgpbIeKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnBgpbIeKk

Excited to see him in a few days in Seattle with Katatonia.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Man, his talking during Lucky Animals is just too drat funny. Farting, burping, realising he is 40, starting to hate the song, skull fat...

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It will always defy me how one man can spin so much gold through his entire career. Deconstruction holds a special place in my heart for unique listening experiences, but Addicted and Ghost are just pure magic. Devin has a song for almost every mood and occasion and he's wonderful :3:

Including DTB, Ih-Ah, Kawaii, Life and Namaste are all you need for a good time.

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006
So the album is out there already. The production is absolutely crushing!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This is honestly like Addicted and Deconstruction had a baby with a twist of Ghost. In other words it has the poppiness of Addicted while still having the epic feel of Deconstruction and it has the happy warm feelings from Ghost. It's pretty cool.

Edit: Jesus this is good.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 6, 2012

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

So. I feel like a bit of a Devin traitor. There has actually never been a Devin album where I've liked every single track. Epicloud is the same. I could leave tracks 2 and 3. And maybe track 10.

But enough of the material on here is excellent. Tracks 7, 8, 9, 11, 12 and 13 are all huge, huge winners. Tracks 4, 5 and 6 are good.

I will admit, I am slightly disappointed. I really wanted every track to blow me away, but I kind of sensed that wasn't going to happen after I heard Lucky Animals.

Nevertheless, this is a great Devin record, and I'm sure I'm going to play it to death.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I kinda want a total remaster of Physicist now

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009
Yeah that rerecording of Kingdom completely blew me away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't like the first half of the album at all but once Kingdom kicks in, it gets really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Save Our Now and Kingdom are stunning. Oh god just perfect. The production is really similar to Addicted which honestly is ideal.

Anneke's even better which I didn't think was possible.

• Locked thread