Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Weird seeing him play a Les Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
The chorus to Lucky Animals has already gotten pretty irritating.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Do any fans actually dislike the production on Physicist? It always seemed it's harshest critic was Devin himself. I probably would never even have thought about it had he not mentioned it in interviews.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I...I kind of want a DTP teddy bear?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wish it was still up just so I could hear the commentary.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm excited but now I have to drive to Worcester.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Those On My Left posted:

the name of the song is lucky animals you idiot

That's a little harsh dude. Maybe you should chillout and drink a juicebox or something.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Shankel Magnus posted:

I've been on a big Devin kick lately. I've got Deconstruct, Addicted, Ziltoid, and Epicloud. What should I pick up next?

Ocean Machine, Infinity and Terria are better than those albums in my opinion. I prefer Accelerated Evolution over Addicted's pop.

Stoat posted:

Ocean Machine. I still maintain it's his most consistent release.

Pretty much.

Goobish posted:

My favorite SYL has always been The New Black. It just seems more audible than all their other albums to me.

While music appreciation is subjective this is wrong. TNB sucked.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I really hate to be the 'the older stuff is better' guy especially since I still love Devin's work but Terria, OM, Infiniti and that entire era cannot be beat as far as his catalog goes.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Sex & Religion kept me from listening to Devy for half a decade.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Red Eye is a strange show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHaDZxTWTtE

Also, Torche rules.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
It's amazing how awful that album is even for Vai.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Revol posted:

I have never been outside of the state of Florida before.

:getout:

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Devin did an AMA

http://www.reddit.com/r/progmetal/comments/2ghf55/hi_this_is_devin_welcome_to_my_ama/

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I feel bad because so many people respond to his posts with 'OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING I AM SO EXCITED'

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

He has got a little too comfortable with overproducing his own stuff. Look at Epicloud, it is so bloated, there is too much happening at times, there is no space. Same with Addicted.

Yes, Z2-SkyBlue suffers from that but not as bad as previous efforts, it is a little more streamlined which is great because you're not getting bombarded with noise a lot of the time.
Only a little though, he has a way to go to get it perfect, but it's still pretty good.

Z2 I think is a little simpler in parts that require it, kind of like the SYL days where the guitar did all the talking.

Hope it works out - ziltoid was hard to listen to sometimes because of how compressed it was

The dfh drums felt like little tiny jackhammers in my ears and not in a good way.

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 29, 2014

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Devy is singlehandedly keeping nu-metal alive

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I completely forgot about Lucky Animals; that was a really poo poo track.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wonder how Devy is going to support himself in ten years. He can't stay this prolific and he's probably not making a ton of cash.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Please share an anecdote about Devy's dad.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
He is a niche artist in a genre that really doesn't sell and is catering to nerds who know how to torrent.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm not really digging any of what I have heard so far but I hope devy is happy and successful.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I haven't really dug anything Devy's done in years but I don't think being prolific, creative and on the road constantly with all the pressure of merchandising, being 'on' and having other people depend on you for their jobs is as easy as you think it is.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
There are other factors though. If you are a stockbroker and don't like your company you can go to another company or parlay your experience into another position. What else can Devin really do?

You can go to school to be a stockbroker but you really can't get a degree in whatever music Devin is doing nowadays. I think constantly being creative and coming up with new stuff for years would be absolutely exhausting plus tack on all the time spent away from your family.

That doesn't even go into all the other people dependent on him.

I don't know I just thought it was kind of dismissive comparing him to a stockbroker or janitor. If I was Devin I would be having a panic attack everyday.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Folks kept complaining about the fart sounds on deconstruction and I assumed they just meant the mix.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 5, 2014

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
He played Regulator and Bad Devil in Worcester. Didn't really get into some of the new stuff.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
That is some interview. Were there any details on that LA producer thing?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I actually like the way Physicist sounds and would prefer a more stripped/less produced sound then the same axefx preset with the same vocal chorus sound over and over again.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Bring a copy of that photo with a phone up his rear end and get it autographed.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Mountain is the best song on Terria. Canada is good too - he name drops John Denver.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Synchestra has a great opening: nice acoustic sound into a some arena prog rock into a jug band breakdown into more arena prog rock until after a few minutes it culminates in Steve Vai dropping a huge load on everything with some wank *solo*

Then there's some baby song that I've never actually listened to

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I went to a SYL show once and I have never felt more handsome in my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I listened to the new Truth and I don't think it sounds good at all

• Locked thread